Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Three. Otherwise it looks like it looks lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Xandu posted:

Three interviewers, one group thank you note or three?

Absolutely 3, increase your chance that one of them will remember and mention you when they are deciding who to hire/call back for 2nd interview.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
180+ applications (and only 8 interviews) later, I was just called for a second interview with a hiring manager on Monday afternoon. The first interview on Wednesday was an hour of "describe a time you X" questions, 10 minutes of getting a feel for the office environment, and 15 minutes of me being able to ask questions to a supervisor on the floor.

In all my previous jobs a second interview was simply not a thing. I'm expecting more of the "describe a time you did X, what did others do afterwards" type questions. Am I on the right track here or should I start :derp: at this point?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You lucky man. Some companies even have third or fourth rounds, it just depends.

Expect to meet with more people this time, possibly more senior people, potentially a test of your practical knowledge as well. It could just be a cultural fit test, but come prepared.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Found out I have a phone interview, but there's 4 people on the other end. Not even sure what to make of it. I feel like I'm really gonna get grilled.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

A Kpro posted:

Found out I have a phone interview, but there's 4 people on the other end. Not even sure what to make of it. I feel like I'm really gonna get grilled.

I've never had a panel interview by phone and that sounds awful. I hate phone interviews for anything but the basic screener though.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

A Kpro posted:

It's probably going to be one person talking and three listening. I wouldn't stress about it.

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010

KernelSlanders posted:

It's probably going to be one person talking and three listening. I wouldn't stress about it.

I agree, I've been doing panel phone/video interviews recently. it's mostly because we don't want to ask you the same questions 3 times over

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I see I mixed some tenses up for the current job, I started doing it all in past tense before realizing it made sense to put my current job in present tense, missed some in trying to switch that. Will take everything else into consideration as I work on improving the resume.

As for certifications, I really don't have too many, Serv Safe sure, but that's pretty much it, never really went after IT after I graduated, realized I didn't like it at all. Also you'd probably be surprised/scared how little of checks they actually do for a hotel job (it's just a regular old background check).

Also while I'll improve it, I like having some sort of basic skills section as it's something that can easily be tailored a little bit to specific job postings, although I'm only planning on sending to one place at the moment.
Put out your best product before asking for help and you'll get better help.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
So, I'm gathering my resume together for applications to prestigious grad schools, and my only decent work experience has been from three jobs back in '12, '10, and '09. Maybe half of the years in-between were spent in school, but the other half were spent at a loving gas station (or in the hospital with a health condition). Is it better to list the impressive jobs from the turn of the decade and then leave that giant vacuum? Or should I own up to the fact that I spent the better part of the last couple of years selling candy at midnight to people who were dead inside? I'd love for the assumption to be that I was just in school during that time, but my spotty transcript will prove otherwise.

Maybe I should just go back to the gas station..

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Three interviews since I last made changes to my resume! Holy poo poo this thread rules.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm a college intern (going to be a senior this year) at a fairly big, fairly good bank. I like the company. They're putting me on a train to interview with a guy about a full-time position that I'm very interested in. I did lots of interviews for internships at similar types of places (all finance stuff from small investment boutiques to the super large mega-evil firms). How should I be prepared differently for a full-time interview? I've been interning here 3 months, should I put that on my resume (which is mainly military history and college activities)? Do I even need a resume? This is much more informal than getting the actual internship was.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Definitely bring a few copies of your resume, I've been asked at a few interviews for one. Don't assume the person you're talking to knows your story.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Let me present you with two scenarios and you can pick which one you prefer:

:smith: I didn't get to hand out these copies of my resume that I printed...

:smith: They asked me for a copy of my resume but I didn't have any...

Your choice!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

triplexpac posted:

Definitely bring a few copies of your resume, I've been asked at a few interviews for one. Don't assume the person you're talking to knows your story.
If you're working with a third-party recruiter, also don't assume that the people interviewing you have been given un-doctored copies of your resume either.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

OK, you're all right the resume thing was a dumb question. It's just this is totally different than all the interviews I did for internships where the corporate recruiters came to our school and I'm not sure what to do. I currently work for the company, and wasn't sure how it's different (at all?) when you are already working there.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
After looking through a few hundred applications over the past few days, I have some advice for jobseekers here:

Pro-tip for people working on your resumes: if you're going to include a link to your Facebook account (don't do this), tell friends not to post racist images on your wall, along with videos of blindfolded dudes groping women's asses and trying to guess whether they're white or black.

Pro-tip for people preparing for interviews: don't wear t-shirts with holes in it and answer every question with a reference to your two months of experience as secretary of your local library's fan club for author David Baldacci.

What the gently caress

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I have an interview on Friday. In the email confirming and giving me the address, the recruiter said "Dress Code: Business Casual"

I'm thinking to still wear my suit, yes? It's an administrative assistant job and I really want it. Also, my suit fits me and it looks good and I feel good in it. But if it will make me look bad because I ignore the " business casual" thing I won't wear it.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Wear the suit.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Ask the recruiter if you should wear a suit. They won't lie to you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vulture Culture posted:

Ask the recruiter if you should wear a suit. They won't lie to you.
Don't necessarily listen to the recruiter because their incentives may not be aligned with yours. That being said, wear the suit. Nobody has ever said, "I was going to hire him, but he wore a suit to the interview."

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Anyone have experience with juggling multiple companies offerring to fly you in for an interview? It seems unethical to have Company A pay for a flight only to have to me secretly stop by Company B on the way back to the airport. In this case their offices are 10 miles apart and I live 1,000 miles away. I'd really like to avoid making two trips and taking more time off my current gig.

My gut tells me to disclose that I'm speaking with more than one company and assume I'll pay for the trip myself (which is okay with me), so that if either company offers to foot the bill they're doing so knowing the full situation.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mexican Radio posted:

Anyone have experience with juggling multiple companies offerring to fly you in for an interview? It seems unethical to have Company A pay for a flight only to have to me secretly stop by Company B on the way back to the airport. In this case their offices are 10 miles apart and I live 1,000 miles away. I'd really like to avoid making two trips and taking more time off my current gig.

My gut tells me to disclose that I'm speaking with more than one company and assume I'll pay for the trip myself (which is okay with me), so that if either company offers to foot the bill they're doing so knowing the full situation.
I interviewed a guy that was interviewing with us and another company on the same trip. He just gave a heads up to HR with both companies and they handled it professionally. He wound up joining us, and both HRs reimbursed him. It's just normal business operations for hiring. Don't overthink it. Just be open and honest with both HRs, and if one gives you poo poo, it just tells you that you didn't want to work for them anyway.

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008
Last friday I found myself in the position of interviewing someone from a company that I'm scheduled to interview at tomorrow.

If he ends up interviewing me I feel like we're going to be BFFs.

Mexican Radio posted:

So based on personal experience this is fine. In fact for my current job I was flying out of Toronto and I straight-up told company B to fly me in from LA instead of Toronto, and company A that I'd only need the ticket to LA and not back. I feel strongly at letting companies know you have other options is good for perception. Also I'm not making that trip twice in the same week.

Bicuspid fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 18, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Don't necessarily listen to the recruiter because their incentives may not be aligned with yours.
Let's amend that to make it clear that I mean this for internal recruiters only, not third-party headhunters.

Dik Hz posted:

Nobody has ever said, "I was going to hire him, but he wore a suit to the interview."
This isn't how biases work. If you walk into a lovely Bay Area startup wearing a suit to interview for an engineering manager position, the person on the other side of the table probably isn't going to weigh your skills, abilities and personality in a completely reasonable, neutral manner, then say "well, he wore a suit." The first thing they're going to think is "why is this idiot wearing a suit to an engineering manager position in San Francisco," and then everything from that point forward is them picking nits to confirm their bias that you're completely unqualified for the job and a bad culture fit. I was down this road with a NYC startup that I walked into right after an interview with a financial some number of years back, and they were so uncomfortable with my appearance that they practically physically removed the jacket I was wearing.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 18, 2015

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Let's amend that to make it clear that I mean this for internal recruiters only, not third-party headhunters.

This isn't how biases work. If you walk into a lovely Bay Area startup wearing a suit to interview for an engineering manager position, the person on the other side of the table probably isn't going to weigh your skills, abilities and personality in a completely reasonable, neutral manner, then say "well, he wore a suit." The first thing they're going to think is "why is this idiot wearing a suit to an engineering manager position in San Francisco," and then everything from that point forward is them picking nits to confirm their bias that you're completely unqualified for the job and a bad culture fit. I was down this road with a NYC startup that I walked into right after an interview with a financial some number of years back, and they were so uncomfortable with my appearance that they practically physically removed the jacket I was wearing.

Yep. Plus if they already told you to go business casual AND you're interviewing for an administrative assistant position where you'll never wear a suit on the job AND you STILL wear a suit ... I'd actual feel like you're hurting yourself by coming off as unable to or unwilling to follow instructions. Which is like the one thing you want out of your administrative assistant.

The only upside is you look so adorable in your little suit that they go awww and laugh at you afterwards. Is that an upside you want?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bicuspid posted:

Yep. Plus if they already told you to go business casual AND you're interviewing for an administrative assistant position where you'll never wear a suit on the job AND you STILL wear a suit ... I'd actual feel like you're hurting yourself by coming off as unable to or unwilling to follow instructions. Which is like the one thing you want out of your administrative assistant.

The only upside is you look so adorable in your little suit that they go awww and laugh at you afterwards. Is that an upside you want?
If you're given direct instructions, obviously follow them. And if you look like a high-schooler in a prom tux, you should probably learn how to wear a well-tailored suit. But, its completely possible to wear a suit, look good, and not look like an out-of-date dinosaur.

If you're unsure about what to wear, wear a suit. If you're one of the 5 people this year who is applying to hip young start-up in San Francisco, didn't receive instructions on what to wear, and can't read social clues well enough to know when to follow internet advice and when not to, then you should probably wear khakis, a Hawaiian party shirt, and Tevas. And own it.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Thanks for the replies. I did email the recruiter (internal) and she said that it would not be seen negatively to wear a suit, especially if I would be comfortable that way but also said that I would be surprised at how casual the office is. Maybe I should just not wear a tie.

devilmonk fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 19, 2015

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

devilmonk posted:

Thanks for the replies. I did email the recruiter (internal) and she said that it would not be seen negatively to wear a suit, especially if I would be comfortable that way but also said that I would be surprised at how casual the office is. Maybe I should just not wear a tie.

Suits became standard business attire for a reason: it's a drat good look on almost all men, unless the suit doesn't fit. There aren't many cases outside of hipster San Francisco tech start-ups where you'll poison the interviewer's opinion of you by wearing a tailored suit. Skipping the tie should cut it in terms of not being overly formal.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

If I increased margins in a business unit from -5% to 5% or from 0 to 10%, is there a way I can say "increased margins by 10%" without sounding like it was from 15% to 16.5%?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

surf rock posted:

Suits became standard business attire for a reason: it's a drat good look on almost all men, unless the suit doesn't fit. There aren't many cases outside of hipster San Francisco tech start-ups where you'll poison the interviewer's opinion of you by wearing a tailored suit. Skipping the tie should cut it in terms of not being overly formal.

They're also expensive enough to keep the riff-raff out.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

KernelSlanders posted:

If I increased margins in a business unit from -5% to 5% or from 0 to 10%, is there a way I can say "increased margins by 10%" without sounding like it was from 15% to 16.5%?

Why don't you just say the -5% to 5% or 0% to 10%? If the former you could also say you turned an unprofitable division into a profitable one.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

SpecialK2 posted:

Why don't you just say the -5% to 5% or 0% to 10%? If the former you could also say you turned an unprofitable division into a profitable one.

Trying to minimize the amount of the prior employers financial details I divulge.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Would spelling out percentage point help or is the distinction too subtle?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just say "Increased margins by ten percentage points"

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Xandu posted:

Would spelling out percentage point help or is the distinction too subtle?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just say "Increased margins by ten percentage points"

I like this. Thanks.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Just wanted to say thanks heaps to the OP and this thread in general. Today I got offered a job with 10am starts at a very convenient location in a cool young office :)

Screama fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 13, 2023

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So I have a question about what to put this as on my resume. I'm a CS major graduating pretty soon and for my honors project I decided to show that a roguelike game with 3D graphics and AI based on neural networks was, in fact, possible. The end result after a poo poo load of work wasn't a quite complete game but proved that it could be done. I wrote a paper about the AI algorithms I used and did pathfinding with artificial neurons and such. It was a huge task but the end result is ultimately functional. The creatures in the game can successfully navigate the areas, grab the things they want, and respond to the player as appropriate. Biggest thing is that it's one AI class that can change into dramatically different behavior depending on the numbers it is fed. Every creature runs off of the same AI class but behaves differently based on how it is set. Cowardly creatures are cowardly, aggressive ones always want to fight, and everything in between.

The question is what do I put on my resume? I've been doing the obvious "I was an honors student" entry but for that do I say that I'm now experienced in C# and AI? I did it with Unity and Visual Studio. My CS adviser said that it was impressive work and that I should absolutely put it on a resume and say that I have AI skills but what level should I say my skill level is at?

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So I have a question about what to put this as on my resume. I'm a CS major graduating pretty soon and for my honors project I decided to show that a roguelike game with 3D graphics and AI based on neural networks was, in fact, possible. The end result after a poo poo load of work wasn't a quite complete game but proved that it could be done. I wrote a paper about the AI algorithms I used and did pathfinding with artificial neurons and such. It was a huge task but the end result is ultimately functional. The creatures in the game can successfully navigate the areas, grab the things they want, and respond to the player as appropriate. Biggest thing is that it's one AI class that can change into dramatically different behavior depending on the numbers it is fed. Every creature runs off of the same AI class but behaves differently based on how it is set. Cowardly creatures are cowardly, aggressive ones always want to fight, and everything in between.

The question is what do I put on my resume? I've been doing the obvious "I was an honors student" entry but for that do I say that I'm now experienced in C# and AI? I did it with Unity and Visual Studio. My CS adviser said that it was impressive work and that I should absolutely put it on a resume and say that I have AI skills but what level should I say my skill level is at?

are you trying to apply to a game studio? it would be super relevant there. otherwise I'm not sure.

in any case you can describe it with a link to a website / video / summary that goes into more detail so it wont take up your entire resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bicuspid posted:

are you trying to apply to a game studio? it would be super relevant there. otherwise I'm not sure.

in any case you can describe it with a link to a website / video / summary that goes into more detail so it wont take up your entire resume.

I live like a billion years away from most game studios so I'm not looking into them all that heavily. I've programmed multiple games in C# and while they weren't all that good from a game design standpoint they don't crash. So I figured between that and the AI thing I could say "I am a competent programmer that writes programs that work." I know it won't be all that relevant to a lot of industries directly but I figured it would put me a few notches ahead of your bog standard CS graduate.