Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. A big part of the appeal of Suikoden was the worldsetting. "Rebooting" that loses a big chunk of it. You even saw that somewhat with Tierkries/The PSP one.

drat it ImpAtom, why do you have to be so right all the time.

I just want a true sequel to S2 about the Highland side of the story. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

In Training posted:

Well, you can fuel that fetish for 0 dollars - have you heard of Google?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have the picture of Cloud saying "...Whatever."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Andrast posted:

Buy it when it's $5 or less on a Steam sale.

Welp, guess this is what I'm doing. Storefront was reporting that there was still six hours left to preorder and then they released the game out of nowhere "SURPRISE!" so goodbye preorder bonus and discount. Six hours would have been more than enough time to get home and grab my CC to buy it, but meh.

On the plus side someone will probably release a mod to unlock framerate and/or improve textures by the time it's on sale.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Excels posted:

Smash 4 is approaching 60+ characters at this point.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 had close to that many as well.

You don't have a real roster until you have above 90. So that's Melty and, uh...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dragon ball z budokai tenkaichi

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You don't have a real roster until you have above 90. So that's Melty and, uh...

Meltyblood has 90 characters??

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. A big part of the appeal of Suikoden was the worldsetting. "Rebooting" that loses a big chunk of it. You even saw that somewhat with Tierkries/The PSP one.

A real spiritual successor would retain the feeling of the original setting though. Tierkreis wasn't a spiritual successor at all, it had the Suikoden name on it but it felt nothing like the Suikoden games to play

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

Meltyblood has 90 characters??
each character has 3 different movesets, and there are 30 characters

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

each character has 3 different movesets, and there are 30 characters

drat, that sounds impressive. i never played much of melty but it seems to be considered pretty high tier as far as anime games go

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Paperhouse posted:

A real spiritual successor would retain the feeling of the original setting though. Tierkreis wasn't a spiritual successor at all, it had the Suikoden name on it but it felt nothing like the Suikoden games to play

Outside of fan movements, I'm not sure where the push for a spiritual successor will come from. The Suikoden team had been disbanded by Konami. Much of the staff have been scattered or left game development altogether. Those that remain at Konami have been working on Dance Dance Revolution and Konami's gambling division. The series creator, Yoshitaka Murayama (who got Konami'd before Hideo Kojima made it cool), is working as a freelance writer.

At the very least, Kickstarter has been utilized to fund games inspired by Suikoden, such as Celestian Tales: Old North.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Saoshyant posted:

Welp, guess this is what I'm doing. Storefront was reporting that there was still six hours left to preorder and then they released the game out of nowhere "SURPRISE!" so goodbye preorder bonus and discount. Six hours would have been more than enough time to get home and grab my CC to buy it, but meh.

On the plus side someone will probably release a mod to unlock framerate and/or improve textures by the time it's on sale.

The port looks to be quite crappy. Reports are that framerates hit 20s even with 290x or 970 cards with decent CPUs. You can't unlock framerate past 30 anyway as its tied to animation and other game systems I believe. So my procrastination on buying this paid off since now I will wait till it hits $10 or something like that during Winter sale.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is FF9 on steam yet? But it would look 10x better if I upscale it in an special evil program. Tempted to give the game another try without the ATB on.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Is FF9 on steam yet?

It is not. FFIX continues to get completely shafted by Square.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Sunning posted:

Those that remain at Konami have been working on Dance Dance Revolution

According to the insider reports, DDR team was merged into "Audio Team" so we're never getting a new DDR either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

It is not. FFIX continues to get completely shafted by Square.

It's not really that. FFVII and FFVIII were ported because they had pre-existing PC ports so it was relatively little work. FFIX doesn't.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really that. FFVII and FFVIII were ported because they had pre-existing PC ports so it was relatively little work. FFIX doesn't.

People can easily emulate it though and it looks great. What hurdles would they have to jump through to get a Steam port?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Excels posted:

People can easily emulate it though and it looks great. What hurdles would they have to jump through to get a Steam port?

Give the PS2 bios to steam....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

Emulating a game and an actual PC port are not the same thing. There are a lot of problems that can occur with emulation that don't exist with straight ports. (And S-E has examples of themselves that show this off.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm actually halfway curious how the mod's gonna tamper with the last three bosses.

I will halfway answer.

Deathguise during its Open phase will pummel a single character or the whole party physically. During Closed phase it alternates between Death, All Death and Twister. All Death will be its primary attack and as far as I can see your only hope is to have Shell on, which makes it miss a lot. Not guaranteed though because it missed Zidane, Amarant and Freya one time but got Eiko. Then I revived Eiko and got Shell on her again but this time the All Death killed everyone ['i]except[/i] her. Which is fortunate because the Holy she then casted won me the fight.

Trance Kuja was fairly simple. I think he's the first boss all game I've beaten on my very first try. He has Auto-Protect and Auto-Shell but his Flare and Holy are nothing to worry about. The problem arise when he's near dead. Like in the original he casts Flare Star but I don't think Flare Star was an actual counter in the original game. This being FFIX Counter, it's incredibly unreliable. Whether you attack him physically or magically, he will use Flare Star in response about 60-70% of the time. I don't like that move because its effect appears to be all wonky and all over the place. It'll usually miss about half the party at least but you can't really tell. It's a roll of the dice.

And Neccron...Necron has me thoroughly stumped. First off, the motherfucker is fast. I don't know if he follows Ozma's way of doing the ATB but one time he got off no less than three turns before I did anything, in spite of the fact I imputed commands ages ago. Secondly, he likes to use Grand Cross...a lot. It doesn't seem to do damage most of the time but it will inflict you with every status ailment under the sun. Well except Mini, I don't think I've seen Mini. I don't know if the status effects are randomized or sometimes I'm just lucky and avid the nastier ones like Berserk or Zombie that I can't protect against.

All of these things I could probably manage. What has me stumped is one simple thing. It's called Wall2. Necron can do it and it not only casts Protect and Shell, it casts goddamned Regen. Regen, on a being with boss-level health, in this loving game. He regenerates nothing less than 4000 HP every few seconds. My favorite was when he did Wall2 and then immediately used Grand Cross. Even if he was near death - which he definitely wasn't - that would have gotten him back to full probably.

I haven't the faintest clue how to counteract this .As far as I know, Eiko is the one character with Dispel. But even if I never have her do anything, even if she doesn't end up getting killed by its Blue Shockwve instant death move - that thankfully misses at least half the time - Necron can get turns right in a row so let's say he casts Wall2 and then Firaga. Boom, he will have regenerated at least 8000 maybe even 12000 health. Even though Zidane and Amarant have their Trance gauges nearly full and Zidane can do max damage, there's no way to keep up with that much healing.

I tried castling Reflect on him as a desperation move but no go, Wall2 isn't a spell. My only consideration is that he must be vulnerable to a status effect or two but I don't have Vivi in my party. I suppose I could try using Add Status stuff by Zidane or Amarant or Freya but I really doubt the hard mod made its final boss weak to Poison. He really suckered me in by having Kuja be such a pussy compared to this.

My thinking is you have to absolutely do what TWD said earlier and keep a menu open. That stops the clock for him and no regen I think. Problems arise when people are dead or Berserked though....

EDIT

And my thinking was right. With a bit of luck, you just need one character ready to go and keep the bastard from regenerating health. That's no small feat though. I won't deny I lucked out with Grand Cross not inflicting anything too bad the firs couple times. Last time had me worried because it had Stop on both Amarant and Freya but then Amarant died and was no longer Stopped. And wouldn't you know, it was Amarant won the day with a Wing Edge.

I was extremely fortunate to stumble into the fight with both Zidane and Amarant about to go Trance. Between Zidane's 9999 and Amarant's Aura-all, I had a pretty potent combination.

Well that was satisfying and fun. I still need to go back and try to beat Ozma though but I might need more levels for that, dunno.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 18, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tenzarin posted:

Give the PS2 bios to steam....

PSX but yeah, still same legal issues. "We're just going to package the PSX bios with this game without getting permission from Sony, I'm sure this is totally going to go well."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Excels posted:

You can't just put an emulation up for sale.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Computers are so complicated.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Excels posted:

What hurdles would they have to jump through to get a Steam port?

Remaking the game because rumor is the source is long gone.

In Training posted:

Worked for the PS1 releases of SNES games.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

oblomov posted:

The port looks to be quite crappy. Reports are that framerates hit 20s even with 290x or 970 cards with decent CPUs. You can't unlock framerate past 30 anyway as its tied to animation and other game systems I believe. So my procrastination on buying this paid off since now I will wait till it hits $10 or something like that during Winter sale.

I can't even launch the game because... who the gently caress knows! I'm willing to give SquareEnix a lot of leeway, but if this poo poo doesn't get fixed soon, I'll just refund it and buy Neptunia 2 out of spite or something...

By the way, I've been having a blast with Fairy Fencer F, much to my surprise. And it has all the bells and whistles I'd expect from a proper PC release.

Food for thought: IdeaFactory puts out competent port after competent port. Square Japan cannot loving port ONE game properly to PC. Android ports especially don't count because gently caress android ports.

And XSeed does go the extra mile to make their ports work. Praise Sara!

I'm not holding my breath for FFXV, is what I'm saying.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

In Training posted:

Isn't that... literally... what Rare Replay is?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXIII is a really good port.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Excels posted:

Maybe for like the Amiga junk but it's missing some N64 games, specifically the ones that weren't already remade for the 360.

The PSX/SNES is a good example. I wonder how that worked out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Excels posted:

even if it is, the amiga bios can still be bought and licensed. i don't think sony is really going to go for that.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Maybe for like the Amiga junk but it's missing some N64 games, specifically the ones that weren't already remade for the 360.

The PSX/SNES is a good example. I wonder how that worked out.

Which N64 Rare games aren't part of Rare Replay (outside of DK64 and Goldeneye cause licensing)? The only non-remade games I can think of are Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, and Killer Instinct Gold which are all part of the collection.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

baram. posted:

Worked for the PS1 releases of SNES games.

Don't all of those have terrible loading times because they're emulated and not "real" ports?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if squeenix could put ff9 up on steam easily, they absolutely would, because it's free money and at this point the US probably likes it more than 8.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mycot posted:

Don't all of those have terrible loading times because they're emulated and not "real" ports?

That is correct.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i don't really get how you can say ff9 gets completely shafted, either. it doesn't have any sequels but there was never really a good time to make one or a need to. ff8 doesn't have any sequels or spinoffs either. And Dissidia is jampacked with references to FF9. If anything, Square seems really fond of 9, it's just not one of their cash cows. And, I mean, they're kind of right not to try and force it to be.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elentor posted:

I've seen people talking about Gackt "breaking up" with Square-Enix but no one really goes in details or posts a source. What happened?

I can't find a direct source, only hear-say. Just rumour mills over either A) contract use of his likeness, or B) contract rights over his music. :shrug:
Given that he's apparently starred in some SE related project only last year, it's probably bullshit.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gackt

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

i don't really get how you can say ff9 gets completely shafted, either. it doesn't have any sequels but there was never really a good time to make one or a need to. ff8 doesn't have any sequels or spinoffs either. And Dissidia is jampacked with references to FF9. If anything, Square seems really fond of 9, it's just not one of their cash cows. And, I mean, they're kind of right not to try and force it to be.

I tend to agree. FF8 would probably be completely "shafted" except it got a PC release way back. It's the least popular PSX FF release these days and only got put on Steam because they could do it with minimal effort. If they could easily do it with 9, they would, because why not.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gesundheit

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so did anyone end up pre-ordering type-0 on steam? I'm offering to pay $10 for the dota 2 items and subsidize your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sunning posted:

Outside of fan movements, I'm not sure where the push for a spiritual successor will come from. The Suikoden team had been disbanded by Konami. Much of the staff have been scattered or left game development altogether. Those that remain at Konami have been working on Dance Dance Revolution and Konami's gambling division. The series creator, Yoshitaka Murayama (who got Konami'd before Hideo Kojima made it cool), is working as a freelance writer.

At the very least, Kickstarter has been utilized to fund games inspired by Suikoden, such as Celestian Tales: Old North.

intneresting thing, according to this nikkei article about how lovely the office environment was at konami (they would announce your name over the loudspeaker if you were late coming back from lunch), they were actually working on a new suikoden a couple yearsa go that's been pretty much abandoned: http://asia.nikkei.com/magazine/20150813-THE-SCARS-OF-WORLD-WAR-ll/Tech-Science/Gamers-dismayed-as-Konami-cuts-off-developers