Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I've only dipped my toe in this game but the Hellion never fails me. She blasts through enemies, tanks decently, and seems to sneer at mental fatigue better.

Mine seem to lose their minds faster than others, which is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

There's no reason they should stress any faster or slower than any other class, it's just RNG.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That said, heroes that spend a lot of time scoring critical hits and/or making things die do tend to be a bit more mentally resilient, since all those little stress bonuses add up over the course of an expedition. And the Hellion is really loving good at making things die.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I had a Hellion that survived close to a dozen Death's Door hits once.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ppppatch!
http://steamcommunity.com/games/262060/announcements/detail/61149626065351897

quote:

maggots: dropped PROT although was sincerely tempted just to call them "Armored Maggots" and be done

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
If it were me I'd have split/cloned the two. 25% chance for any Maggot to be an Armoured Maggot, or something.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
Looks like mostly good changes, the only thing I'm not thrilled about is the berf to Hound's Rush. I liked the prot debuff on that move and I didn't use the Houndmaster with classes that can mark (although I guess I will now).

Glad to see the Grave Robber is getting some damage buffs, it felt to me like she was supposed to be back row DPS but was just worse at it than the Highwayman and Arbalest.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

may contain peanuts posted:

Looks like mostly good changes, the only thing I'm not thrilled about is the berf to Hound's Rush. I liked the prot debuff on that move and I didn't use the Houndmaster with classes that can mark (although I guess I will now).

Glad to see the Grave Robber is getting some damage buffs, it felt to me like she was supposed to be back row DPS but was just worse at it than the Highwayman and Arbalest.

Hound Rush ever only did like 1-2 damage against enemies with prot, so moving the prot debuff to the 0 damage whistle doesn't really hurt (especially since it's substantially bigger now.)

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah they work really well with +crit and -bleed. They do feel like they kind of suck early though.

I think Wyrd Reconstruction always has a higher expected heal value (even factoring in the bleed) than the Vestal's single-target heal, even at low levels. It's true though that they can't pull multiple people off of Death's Door in a single turn like a Vestal can, which is something that definitely adds a lot of resilience to a party.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I bought this game a while ago but only recently started seriously playing the game. So far, so good, but I do have a few questions that have been relatively difficult to search for:

1. At the top of the screen is the torch light indicator--a number is usually in the circle at the center of the meter. What does it indicate?
2. What does the little gold bar (that intermittently appears next to each character / creature's health and stress) indicate? I feel like it has something to do with speed or turn rate, but I haven't figured it out.

Really enjoying this game, though I (perhaps bizarrely) feel that words like "melee" and "ranged" should be capitalized (i.e. "Melee", "Ranged") in menus like the descriptions for attacks. It's currently really distracting for some reason.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I bought this game a while ago but only recently started seriously playing the game. So far, so good, but I do have a few questions that have been relatively difficult to search for:

1. At the top of the screen is the torch light indicator--a number is usually in the circle at the center of the meter. What does it indicate?
2. What does the little gold bar (that intermittently appears next to each character / creature's health and stress) indicate? I feel like it has something to do with speed or turn rate, but I haven't figured it out.

Really enjoying this game, though I (perhaps bizarrely) feel that words like "melee" and "ranged" should be capitalized (i.e. "Melee", "Ranged") in menus like the descriptions for attacks. It's currently really distracting for some reason.

Mouse over the torch. As the light goes down, other things go up or down. (And some special things can happen in pitch black. :getin:)

The little gold bar means a character hasn't acted yet this round. Important for targeting.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure about the bar, but hover your mouse over the torch to see the effects of different light levels.

More light means less stress, being surpised, fewer monster crits, and less loot.

As the light goes down those values reverse. People do low light runs to make money. Give it a shot but the newest patch added a dangerous surprise, and you should be taking a good group for these runs anyway. The surprise seems to be rare though.

And yeah capitalizing melee and range would make sense since they describe the two classes of attack.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I didn't realize that that's what the gold bar is for (you can see one besides Reynauld and the bandit, which makes perfect sense since neither has moved yet).

I probably should have included a screenshot to better illustrate the other question, though, since I've been learning about the torch light mechanics themselves:

The number "1" is in the center of the torch meter. It's always a relatively low number--sometimes it's a 2 or 3, but never much "higher"--and I haven't been able to discern what that number means, exactly. I thought it might be the number of torches required to get up to 100% brightness, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The turn the fight is on? That doesn't seem right, either.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

EDIT: Didn't mean to quote myself.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I think that's the combat turn number.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, that's the combat turn number.

I seem to remember someone (a dev? maybe just some goon?) saying that the counterbalance to the damage output of the swinetaur is its rarity. They're scary, but you don't have to fight them very often so it's just a difficulty spike to climb over. Am I imagining that I read that? Because I just had to fight swinetaurs three battles in a row with a level 3 party. Obviously we had to hobble back to town after that (but miraculously everyone survived, thanks to the clutchest vestal). Did I just get the worst RNG? Does anyone have a great strategy for dealing with these things?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Gameplay Update Build - Aug 18th 2015
Change Log:
"Veteran heroes[...] have weirder fetishes"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

IAmUnaware posted:

I just had to fight swinetaurs three battles in a row with a level 3 party. Obviously we had to hobble back to town after that (but miraculously everyone survived, thanks to the clutchest vestal). Did I just get the worst RNG? Does anyone have a great strategy for dealing with these things?

Yeah sounds like bad RNG to me, I rarely see more than one or two in an entire dungeon. Three tops. Best strat I've found is using an occultist to stack the damage debuff on them.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Huh. Interesting. Seems like, overall, combat is getting easier (Except for the buffs to the Giant, that's gonna suck), but the economy game is getting harder. Which is... Frustrating. Even bringing back nearly-full packs of loot every haul, I feel like it takes dozens and dozens of weeks to start actually upgrading yer dudes into the level 3 bracket. I don't WANT to do the 'Recruit scrubs, get gold, throw out scrubs' cycle, but it really seems like they're trying to push that.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Does anyone know if the Houndmaster is still able to Dodge while he is Guarding another party member? The patch notes make it sound like he can't anymore. If that's the case, he went from being one of the best classes in the game to possibly the worst.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
all it says is he can't target himself with guard.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Black Wombat posted:

Huh. Interesting. Seems like, overall, combat is getting easier (Except for the buffs to the Giant, that's gonna suck), but the economy game is getting harder. Which is... Frustrating. Even bringing back nearly-full packs of loot every haul, I feel like it takes dozens and dozens of weeks to start actually upgrading yer dudes into the level 3 bracket. I don't WANT to do the 'Recruit scrubs, get gold, throw out scrubs' cycle, but it really seems like they're trying to push that.
I don't think it takes that long if you prioritize upgrading the Guild and Blacksmith. The Guild is only competing with the Tavern for the same resources, and the Blacksmith is competing with the Stagecoach. I don't start upgrading the Tavern at all until the Guild is fully upgraded, and I only take the first few upgrades on the Stagecoach. I also don't take any of the cost reduction upgrades on either the Guild or the Blacksmith.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Black Wombat posted:

The patch notes said that the first few upgrades are cheaper now and they scale up later. I think this is a wholly positive change--early on your characters level up rapidly and outpace your ability to upgrade them, but once you get over the level 3 hurdle there aren't many upgrades and they don't come very rapidly so you wind up piling up cash.

(To some extent I think it's okay, even desirable, that characters tend to get to level 3 before you can really afford to get them upgraded. It's the game's way of telling you that you need to spread the love around a bit.)

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Inflammatory posted:

all it says is he can't target himself with guard.

Thank Christ.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I'm tempted to pick this up but I'm skeptical about early access. Also I have about 10 hours on a train this weekend and it would be great to play this on my Macbook Air for some of it. Is this a pipedream?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Dugong posted:

So I'm tempted to pick this up but I'm skeptical about early access. Also I have about 10 hours on a train this weekend and it would be great to play this on my Macbook Air for some of it. Is this a pipedream?

For my part, I picked this up yesterday and am having a ton of fun with it. It doesn't feel Early Access at all to me, though skimming through the last few pages this might just happen to be a pretty good time to jump on balance-wise.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I'm a recent purchase as well and it doesn't feel like an Early Access game. There are like two dungeon "sets" still locked but I've put about 10 hours into it and I don't foresee running into that missing content for a long while, and even then -- I guess it would be like if you got XCOM and you didn't have access to the final level and the most powerful enemy type. It's not like a story game where it would feel obviously incomplete.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dugong posted:

I say pull the trigger. It's very polished for early access. The balance needs a little more fine tuning but it feels good overall. They are adding content in self contained chunks, rather then putting in half finished content. So most of what is missing are the last two dungeons and one or two classes. Also the devs seems like generally cool people.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Dugong posted:

Runs fine on my macbook pro, low CPU usage, so probably okay for the air too. If you like to tap your trackpad instead of actually clicking it like I do, make sure to use a mouse, it has a hard time picking up taps. As to the game itself, it's great, you won't be over it in ten hours, for sure, and I think it's on sale right now on steam.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Do people still play without torches after the newer patches? I just picked this game up a few days ago and read about no-torch runs giving more crits / loot at the cost of higher stress, but that the stress removal from the crits often let you walk out with less stress than you came in with. Is that still the case? I'd love to not worry about torches if I didn't have to.

Also holy crap this game is brutally hard in the beginning, but I think I am finally making progress. I've got a handful of level 3 people and I'm basically just sending the lowbies on suicide runs to farm relics for upgrading my town. It seems like a really long grind, though. I think the numbers in this game need a bit of tweaking still, because some stuff just feels blatantly unfair and some bosses especially just feel impossible without the right team setup, which is pretty obnoxious after going through a medium-length dungeon to get to them. Overall it's a nice challenge, though.

I still feel like I need to get the hang of camping mechanics - I'm not really sure when I should be doing it and which skills I should be using. Trinkets are another weird thing because almost all of the ones I've found so far just seem to be pure crap. Like the positive effects don't seem to outweigh the negative ones at all, with a few exceptions. Hopefully it's just a matter of playing more and finding more powerful stuff.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Do people still play without torches after the newer patches? I just picked this game up a few days ago and read about no-torch runs giving more crits / loot at the cost of higher stress, but that the stress removal from the crits often let you walk out with less stress than you came in with. Is that still the case? I'd love to not worry about torches if I didn't have to.

This still works for great loot, but remember that with low light the enemies gain a lot of accuracy and crit chance, and their crits will inflict a lot of additional stress (and damage, of course) on you. Not every party will be able to make good dark runs. If you want to do dark runs, look out for trinkets that have the word "Moon" in their name, as those give significant bonuses under 25 light.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I still feel like I need to get the hang of camping mechanics - I'm not really sure when I should be doing it and which skills I should be using.

It really depends on your party and the camping skills you have equipped. Some parties want to camp early to apply powerful buffs like Clean Guns or whatever the Man-At-Arms dodge buff is called. Some parties want to use camping to reset stress with things like Therapy Dog, so they wait until stress is high. Try to plan this ahead of time while you're building your party. Also, you can save a couple of torches if you predict when you're going to camp and stop using torches a couple hallways before, because your light meter will be set to 100 after the camp no matter what it was before you camped.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Haha, holy crap, the Houndmaster is a boss killer now.

I just brought one to the Swine King. He's got no +damage quirks, and had a Sun Ring and Spiked Collar - So was rolling at +30% base damage. With a mark, and a careful use of the doggie treat, he - without critting - bit the King for 38 damage. This, combined with the fact that he's the only person deal extra mark damage AND has a mark that does things other than just mark the target, makes him kind of amazing.

But they really aren't kidding about high-end stuff being super expensive now. Getting all the gear and skills you qualify for when you hit Rank 5 with a fully-upgraded guild and a fully-upgraded Smithy costs like 11K. Which is doable, of course - that's like the net profit of one fairly good run - but still. Dang.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
On the screen where you choose which dungeon to enter, there's a number next to the growing red bar above each dungeon. All of mine are at 3 now. What does that mean?

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 20, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That refers to the amount of exploration and monster-clearing you've done there (i.e. the number, and possibly length, of successful expeditions). It's sort of like an experience bar. I believe raising that higher is a necessary step towards unlocking further boss battles. It might be required for opening up more challenging expeditions, too - I never see long and/or veteran expeditions in an area until I've already done a bunch of stuff there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that new jim sterling article about how "the game is just too hard now" is probably going to loving force the devs to cave in and dumb down everything they've been adding. some poo poo like the disease add-up is crap but come on son, corpses did not "ruin" the game, jesus.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Corpses are an incredibly good addition and can actually make the game easier if you're not just stubbornly mashing the melee-range Hurt Monsters buttons and nothing else while wondering why you aren't winning anymore. They make a lot of classes way more viable, and make shuffling and pull/push abilities a lot more tactically powerful too.

Also heart attacks are cool and thematic as poo poo. I don't get what some of these complainers are yelling about. Darkest Dungeon seems to get better every update, barring occasional hiccups with bugs/balance/implementation.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 20, 2015

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
I didn't even realize heart attacks were that recent an addition. The second time I experienced one it caused two other people to have a heart attack in a stress chain reaction and I thought that was loving awesome

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
There are levels, its like XCOM's long war, its kinda cool, but if the devs just constantly add "gently caress you" and don't give you concessions then it becomes a slog, rather than anything fun.

Balance is important, hard for the sake of hard isn't always going to be the most fun. I want to be challenged and punished for being to greedy, but ultimately I want to win if i'm careful.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Angry Diplomat posted:

Corpses are an incredibly good addition and can actually make the game easier if you're not just stubbornly mashing the melee-range Hurt Monsters buttons and nothing else while wondering why you aren't winning anymore. They make a lot of classes way more viable, and make shuffling and pull/push abilities a lot more tactically powerful too.

Also heart attacks are cool and thematic as poo poo. I don't get what some of these complainers are yelling about. Darkest Dungeon seems to get better every update, barring occasional hiccups with bugs/balance/implementation.

I can understand hating heart attacks and monster protection (I don't agree, but I understand the complaint), but corpses fix so many design problems at once it crazy. They simultaneously fix a lot of class balance problems, nerf abusive party set ups, buffs tactical positioning, and open up a ton of design space in terms of abilities and party set ups. Unless someone is committed to running a range 1-2 meat-grinder party and nothing else, there is literally nothing about corpses to dislike.

Before enemy positioning could effectively be ignored and corpses fixed that. The fact that his complaint about corpses is that you know have to "double kill" enemies makes me think he just trying to brute force through corpse rather than actually looking at his party set-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
It's disappointing to read it's become even more of a grind than it already was. If I played and bought this now I'd refund it before the 2 hour limit was up :/ (only have 5 hours in it and was a gift)