Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Anoia posted:

I can't believe how ugly the endgame gear is, or that people would devote any amount of time to getting it.

With the costume system I guess you could just never let the actual crap show, but Christ...

The Spellslinger one is just, like, the worst.

Not the worst like the worst armor in Wildstar. It might be the worst armor set I've ever seen in an MMO. Maybe I've seen dumber sets in other MMOs, but they'd at least win more points for style consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Xavier434 posted:

For me, it will probably be the uninstall button after about a week or two. I am mostly interested to learn if the leveling experience is more enjoyable or not. I have no intentions to go through their end game as it currently stands.

Everyone kept telling me the 30? 40? Level zone is really fun, but I got to MMO snow zone #5,861 at 25 and just couldn't do it anymore.

Plus the teleporting gathering bots were particularly bad at that point. I'd run toward a node and someone would just appear, harvest all but one tap and zoom away like some sort of cartoon. Carbine was clueless how to deal with this.

Some fan (of course) had to make a mod for one click reporting, and as far as I know there's still no way to really stop it since the game trusts client side implicitly.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Anoia posted:

Everyone kept telling me the 30? 40? Level zone is really fun, but I got to MMO snow zone #5,861 at 25 and just couldn't do it anymore.

Plus the teleporting gathering bots were particularly bad at that point. I'd run toward a node and someone would just appear, harvest all but one tap and zoom away like some sort of cartoon. Carbine was clueless how to deal with this.

Some fan (of course) had to make a mod for one click reporting, and as far as I know there's still no way to really stop it since the game trusts client side implicitly.

Farside was a really cool zone. So was Malgrave.

Far side was bookended by two of the worst zones that suffered from the same problems. Whitevale was hateful and Wilderrun was just as bad with its "go kill 25 of this mob only has 2 spawn locations" quests.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Xavier434 posted:

For me, it will probably be the uninstall button after about a week or two. I am mostly interested to learn if the leveling experience is more enjoyable or not. I have no intentions to go through their end game as it currently stands.

So far it doesn't feel too different from when I played it less than a month ago on my free month from the Humble Bundle. Being able to get right to the game at level 3 rather than farting around the stupid space ship for half an hour is nice, though.

a harpy posted:

The Spellslinger one is just, like, the worst.

I kind of get what they're going for with the Spellslinger suit but all the weird leathery and bony bits added to it make it look like you're wearing a suit made of fake vomit. The warrior and stalker ones are the only passable suits, and only the warrior one really seems to fit the motif.

I do wonder if dyes are applicable to these and how much they'd save it. Or make it worse, by making the Spellslinger suit red and blue like the esper one. I wonder if someone on the design team is colorblind.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Is it still the case in this game where your armor type reduces damage taken by all mob abilities? I played a spellslinger, and basically if you got hit by any ability in max level dungeons it, it would take like 80% of your HP in one hit. However, if you rolled a warrior or engineer you would take like 20% of the damage. The damage you would take was not considered "magic" damage most of the time, and your armor type made a huge difference in survivability.

Also, it just so happened that the highest dps classes at the start were warrior and engineer, both heavy. so, in short, if you rolled a light armor class you got hosed.

lethargical
Sep 21, 2010

Lethargy at it's best.
There was so much inward hype for this game before the release and living in Australia made me worried lag would create an unplayable enviornment. I was not wrong and firmly believe if Oceanic servers had been made available a good sum of players would still be with the game.

Regardless, today I resubbed as I'm in vacation in the states to check the game I left long ago after the first month of their release.

It's lifeless and empty, I have been stuck in battleground queues for 10m plus.

I see why the game is going f2p, pity it never really became "the big thing"

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

lethargical posted:

There was so much inward hype for this game before the release and living in Australia made me worried lag would create an unplayable enviornment. I was not wrong and firmly believe if Oceanic servers had been made available a good sum of players would still be with the game.

What? Everybody in all the other countries quit, why would Australians be dumb enough to stick around in large numbers just because their ping to a bad game was lower?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

lethargical posted:

Regardless, today I resubbed as I'm in vacation in the states to check the game I left long ago after the first month of their release.

It's lifeless and empty, I have been stuck in battleground queues for 10m plus.

I see why the game is going f2p, pity it never really became "the big thing"

Thats the most insane thing I ever read regarding aussies and ping issues. Aussies who want to play mmos perservere regardless of the ping if the game is good enough. Entire australian guilds had no trouble clearing mythic/heroic content in wow with a high ping. Tera and Guild Wars are entirely playable and in the fnf alpha and beta I had no trouble coping with the movement mechanics in this game. The game is flat out bad and regardless of where the servers were it still would have shat the bed.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

John Dyne posted:

So far it doesn't feel too different from when I played it less than a month ago on my free month from the Humble Bundle. Being able to get right to the game at level 3 rather than farting around the stupid space ship for half an hour is nice, though.

I kind of get what they're going for with the Spellslinger suit but all the weird leathery and bony bits added to it make it look like you're wearing a suit made of fake vomit. The warrior and stalker ones are the only passable suits, and only the warrior one really seems to fit the motif.

I do wonder if dyes are applicable to these and how much they'd save it. Or make it worse, by making the Spellslinger suit red and blue like the esper one. I wonder if someone on the design team is colorblind.

I'm pretty sure you can dye it but I can't see the spellslinger outfit ever looking good. I agree that the warrior one is the best one.

It's weird that they show off that armor when I've actually seen some pretty cool armor from screenshots. It seems like the case where, yet again, the devs seem to be all over the place on what they think is "cool" and what is "cool" in context of their aesthetic.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

a harpy posted:

I'm pretty sure you can dye it but I can't see the spellslinger outfit ever looking good. I agree that the warrior one is the best one.

Assuming they've fixed the issue where dying your stuff can cause horrible, weird looking seams across your clothes that you can't reverse.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I ignored the middle-tier armor because it all pretty much just looks like the typical clownsuits you'd expect from a gear based MMO. I know there's a highwayman costume you can get that doesn't look that bad, but it's still trying to be COOL because it's got the huge loving collar that sticks out all over the loving place.

It's basically Deadeye's suit on the exile side, without his hat.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Mattavist posted:

What? Everybody in all the other countries quit, why would Australians be dumb enough to stick around in large numbers just because their ping to a bad game was lower?

Well it's arguably still better than going outside and being attacked by a legion of spiders, kangaroos and emus.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People talk up Farside, but they forget that when you first go there it's all "Welcome to the moon!" And then you're IMMEDIATELY sent to a generic jungle biodome, and upon completing that they toss you in a generic desert biodome. Only after that do you actually get to play on, you know, the goddamn moon.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Rorus Raz posted:

People talk up Farside, but they forget that when you first go there it's all "Welcome to the moon!" And then you're IMMEDIATELY sent to a generic jungle biodome, and upon completing that they toss you in a generic desert biodome. Only after that do you actually get to play on, you know, the goddamn moon.

Hoverboards in low gravity was easily the best feature in the entire game though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Iron Tusk posted:

Farside was a really cool zone. So was Malgrave.

Far side was bookended by two of the worst zones that suffered from the same problems. Whitevale was hateful and Wilderrun was just as bad with its "go kill 25 of this mob only has 2 spawn locations" quests.

The moon half of Farside was legitimately great, but the jungle and desert biodomes that made up the other half weren't particularly good or interesting. So the zone everyone raves about isn't even really a full zone.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Martout posted:

Hoverboards in low gravity was easily the best feature in the entire game though.
It was neat and showed how much of a waste it was to have all the other zones be very generic like Not Stranglethorn Vale.

It is, however, awful to be all "You're on the goddamn moon!" with the cool low gravity, and then throw the player into stock MMO environments.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So according to the Cosmic Rewards info stuff the second tier you get to unlocks guilds, circles, etc without restrictions. That's at 2000 points. Owning the game gets you 12,000 points so I imagine that's roughly "spend $10 on the game, get this side-benefit stuff" to keep the gold farmers and friends from abusing those systems. Alternately, one month of gametime rewards you with 3000 points so sub for one month and you've got it that way too.

It's not as bad as it initially sounded. This F2P system seems pretty decent, it's all about cosmetics and boosts and stuff without locking any content away so it's better than a good 90% of other sub-optional games from that standpoint.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, F2P has to be super appealing because this is their hail mary pass. If I recall, people said NCSoft's last financial report had Wildstar making less than 10% of what Guild Wars 2 was making, and people did the number crunching and figured they're either a drain on NCSoft's resources or just a skeleton crew. Either way, if free-to-play doesn't do something then Wildstar won't be around a year from now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Some phenomenally bad and terrible games are still around due to being F2P/pay to win cash sinks, e.g. Age of Conan, so I'd be surprised if Wildstar gets shut down, especially if they have any sort of regular new "microtransaction" 6-breasted/dog dick costume releases to cater to the fetish crowd.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Some phenomenally bad and terrible games are still around due to being F2P/pay to win cash sinks, e.g. Age of Conan, so I'd be surprised if Wildstar gets shut down, especially if they have any sort of regular new "microtransaction" 6-breasted/dog dick costume releases to cater to the fetish crowd.

How is Conan still around? Is it even still getting content updates to keep people around?

Game had a legit excellent soundtrack though. Most MMOs tend to at least have good music for some reason.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Age of Conan, good game?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

They patched that out. :911:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

a harpy posted:

Not the worst like the worst armor in Wildstar. It might be the worst armor set I've ever seen in an MMO.
This demands a screenshot or something.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's one of these:

John Dyne posted:

Engineer, Esper, and Medic on the top, left to right. Stalker, Spellslinger, and Warrior on the bottom, left to right. I think a lot of it is incredibly ugly and I don't know why the gunslinger wizard class has to have their midriff exposed.

World of Warcraft gets a lot of poo poo for huge shoulderpads and other stuff but the endgame armour (i.e. the armour that is meant to sell you on actually raiding) almost always had two things: Clarity and a solid theme. If you know what WoW classes are and someone showed you an image of a tiers armour sets you would almost certainly be able to match class to armour most of the time, and most tiers have themes they work inside such as 'undead necropolis', 'industrial fortress' or 'firelord volcano' so you could probably make an accurate guess as to where it came from as well. They've screwed it up a few times over a decade of raid sets but generally you know what class the dude running towards you is, and you probably know where he got his hat.

Up there I'd say only Engineer and Stalker look any good at all, the rest are bad with no unifying theme (why does the warrior set have a kabuki mask, why do the Stalker shoulders look so huge for a stealth class and why is the idea for spellslinger some kind of cowboy?). Also with the exception of the engineer and mmmmaybe the Medic set, if you said that Wildstar was a fantasy game there would be nothing there to contradict it.

Being a prettty MMO dressup princess is very important okay.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

croutonZA posted:

How is Conan still around? Is it even still getting content updates to keep people around?

It is, actually. It got a content update in May.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So I haven't played an MMO other than WoW for like 3 years (Vanilla through Icecrown Endgame Raiding) and like a month of SW:O before I realized it was a grind designed to remove fun from life.

But this looks super fun... and I could use another time sink.

A) Is there a beta key floating around for me to try this out? (NA) I'm stalking Reddit hard but no dice so far.

B) What does this MMO do well? I love the aesthetic and the classes sound fine.

C) What does this MMO suck at?

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

So I haven't played an MMO other than WoW for like 3 years (Vanilla through Icecrown Endgame Raiding) and like a month of SW:O before I realized it was a grind designed to remove fun from life.

But this looks super fun... and I could use another time sink.

A) Is there a beta key floating around for me to try this out? (NA) I'm stalking Reddit hard but no dice so far.

B) What does this MMO do well? I love the aesthetic and the classes sound fine.

C) What does this MMO suck at?

You can literally just read the thread and learn all of these things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I could read 93 pages of a thread with varying degrees of extremely-to-moderately outdated information... Oh man, you are totally right!

I guess I'm the silly guy who posted in a thread about a game to talk about it... man oh man, this egg on my face right... is it a crow's egg? Because I'm eating cro- really?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 20, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I could read 93 pages of a thread with varying degrees of extremely-to-moderately outdated information... Oh man, you are totally right!

I guess I'm the silly guy who posted in a thread about a game to talk about it... man oh man, this egg on my face right... is it a crow's egg? Because I'm eating cro- shut up.

Enjoy Wildstar!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess I'm the silly guy who posted in a thread about a game to talk about it... man oh man, this egg on my face right... is it a crow's egg? Because I'm eating cro- really?

Lmao. Play wildstar it's pretty good now.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

you post like a retard and you want to play a poo poo game for twats

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

A lot of these games end up being run by a skeleton crew and there are barely any resources dedicated to bug fixes and even less for new content. Basically, the games are placed into maintenance mode. A lot of the money probably comes from people who play for a month or two, spend a little on convenience stuff, and then quit for a long time or forever. Nothing inherently wrong with this routine but these games are no longer evolving or improving which is what most people want out of their MMOs.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's so loving fun that most people can't handle how much fun it is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sword_man.gif posted:

you post like a retard and you want to play a poo poo game for twats

I know you are but what am I.

Stop posting yourself, stop posting yourself, stop posting yourself

<Wedgies>
*Flush*

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

It would take a lot of time to write up a comprehensive post answering your questions. The game goes F2P and beta invites for the F2P version are going out now. Most goons here have a very unfavorable opinion of the game for a large variety of reasons but generally speaking you will best off just trying it yourself for a bit then coming back with more specific questions. In general though, if you are looking for a time sink and have decided that you want that time sink to be an MMO I recommend trying others first. Wildstar is not a very enjoyable game. If you want some help picking one then maybe list what characteristics you like in MMOs and what you are looking for.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Xavier434 posted:

It would take a lot of time to write up a comprehensive post answering your questions. The game goes F2P and beta invites for the F2P version are going out now. Most goons here have a very unfavorable opinion of the game for a large variety of reasons but generally speaking you will best off just trying it yourself for a bit then coming back with more specific questions. In general though, if you are looking for a time sink and have decided that you want that time sink to be an MMO I recommend trying others first. Wildstar is not a very enjoyable game. If you want some help picking one then maybe list what characteristics you like in MMOs and what you are looking for.

Awesome, thank you.

I like being able to level by myself and I like having non-raid things to do at Endgame.

I like Mounts and Cool Spell effects and neat looking enemies to smash.

I don't care about PvP at all.

Once i ferret out a beta-code (I suspect they'll give some away at their talk today around 1PM) I'll see what my impressions are.

I'm not really interested in other MMO's because I like cartoony graphics and aliens, and I don't really see any others jumping out at me with the right aesthetic balance that WS seems to have in spades.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Are you fine playing an MMO with varying degrees of extremely to moderately outdated design decisions? If so then Wildstar is the game for you!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bust Rodd posted:

Bust Rodd posted:

I know you are but what am I.

Stop posting yourself, stop posting yourself, stop posting yourself

<Wedgies>
*Flush*

You seem like you have exactly the type of wacky sense of humor that will let you really appreciate Wildstar's amazing writing, cupcake! Have a blast!

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
yeah he's obviously not as cool as the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Awesome, thank you.

I like being able to level by myself and I like having non-raid things to do at Endgame.

I like Mounts and Cool Spell effects and neat looking enemies to smash.

I don't care about PvP at all.

Once i ferret out a beta-code (I suspect they'll give some away at their talk today around 1PM) I'll see what my impressions are.

I'm not really interested in other MMO's because I like cartoony graphics and aliens, and I don't really see any others jumping out at me with the right aesthetic balance that WS seems to have in spades.

Wildstar has almost nothing worthwhile to do at endgame once you've gotten past the standard 'new player hitting max for the first time' stuff. From what I've seen, most people just pretty up their house, rather than do the small amount of things actually available (that aren't a complete waste of time).

The mounts you'll be easily able to get are uninspired. Enjoy your hoverboard. The spell effects are ok, but a bit bland.

There's not a lot of enemy variety, and you constantly get enemies recoloured with a different name, but some of the designs can (and I really do mean can, most are pretty lame) look ok/good.

Good, because PVP is absolute trash that carbine don't give a flying gently caress about.

Bear in mind that wildstar's art is not as good as the promo pictures seem to show. When I played it on max settings, it looked like early wotlk-era wow levels of textures (and ran like utter poo poo). In 2014/15.

But if you're fine with all of that, then go nuts. I really hope you reconsider, however - most points on why the game is poo poo are repeated every 10 or so pages, so it really shouldn't be too time consuming to at least try to read through some of it.

• Locked thread