Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

Hahahaha South Carolina is sanctioning loving Hip Show

Holy poo poo, Dana White please let UFC fighters do hip show. It is my dying wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

I will watch this

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I hope they pick up some recognizable b-league washouts

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I hope they pick up Paul Harris.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Sprecherscrow posted:

I hope they pick up Paul Harris.

God yes

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Hip Show Americas: All Knees Barred

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

???

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/16/9161495/mma-fighter-wins-title-while-12-weeks-pregnant-in-brazil

quote:

Kinberly Novaes was expected to make her RFA debut next week against Jocelyn Jones Lybarger, but won’t be able to step inside the cage.

The Brazilian strawweight had some trouble cutting weight as soon as she signed her bout agreement to fight on Aug. 21, and eventually found out that she’s six months pregnant. When she did the math, Novaes realized she fought and won a MMA fight in Brazil while pregnant. She’s having a boy.

Novaes (8-2) defeated Renata Baldan (4-2) on May 17 to win the Noxii 115-pound title, and she was 12 weeks pregnant that day. Primeiro Round first reported the news.

"We did a morphology ultrasound last week and the doctor said I’m 24 weeks pregnant, almost six months, and my baby is healthy and strong," Novaes told MMAFighting.com. "I was worried because I trained hard, fought, cut weight. I suffered a lot to make weight for my last fight, couldn’t dehydrate properly, and I was already training to fight again next week, but the doctor said everything is fine."

Jacson Carvalho, her boyfriend and also a MMA fighter, went to the hospital with Novaes, and only found out about her pregnancy because she was having trouble cutting weight for her first RFA bout.

"I’m a little stubborn, I don’t like to go to the doctor," Novaes said with a laugh. "I’ve been feeling sick for a while, colic, headaches and cramps. I was feeling tired recently, couldn’t even run, and it was really tough for me to cut weight. I was cutting weight for my RFA debut, but couldn’t lose weight. I did a stricter diet four weeks before the fight, and I actually gained 2.2 pounds in six days. I was desperate. I realized my belly was hard, so I thought I had some intestine issue. I took laxative and other things, but a guy that does massages for me told me to go to the doctor."

"I finally decided to go to the hospital, and the doctor immediately asked me if I was pregnant," she continued. "I insisted I was not, that I had an intestine issue, but he asked for a blood test. One hour later, he told us I was pregnant. I cried a lot, ran out of the hospital, but I realized that was good news. I thought I was sick, but I had a baby instead."

Noxii is not regulated by the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA), and Noxii promoter Bruno Barros admits he’s the one to blame for the entire situation.

"I didn’t ask for the exam. That’s the truth," Barros told MMAFighting.com. "I didn’t even think about the possibility of a woman fighting while pregnant, going through a camp and dehydrating and everything."

"That was my first event," he continued. "I asked for HIV and hepatitis tests, but some fighters didn’t send me the results. I didn’t pull them out of the fights because they all wanted to fight. Some fighters claimed they had no money to pay for the tests, others said they didn’t have time to do it, but that’s my fault that I let them fight anyway. But thank God everything is fine with the baby."

Novaes won’t return to MMA until next year, but the family won’t be inactive for long. Soon to be father, Carvalho, faces Wagner Lima at tonight’s edition of Aspera Fighting Championship in Joinville, Brazil.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

holy poo poo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
that's gotta be a huge blackeye to Brazil's AC. Not only did they miss screening the lady if she was pregnant but also some fighters didn't have proper bloodwork on file.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

coconono posted:

that's gotta be a huge blackeye to Brazil's AC. Not only did they miss screening the lady if she was pregnant but also some fighters didn't have proper bloodwork on file.

"acai moonsault posted:

Noxii is not regulated by the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA),

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That whole story's insane

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

fatherdog posted:

I was unaware of what Hip Show was prior to reading the article and watching the video and it is the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ty1990 posted:

I was unaware of what Hip Show was prior to reading the article and watching the video and it is the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen.

I thought I made the dumbest post on this page. Wow.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ty1990 posted:

Hipshow rules

The last episode I saw one guy was fighting off an armbar and a leglock at the same time and was saved by the bell.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Hipshow rules

The last episode I saw one guy was fighting off an armbar and a leglock at the same time and was saved by the bell.

That is amazing, link?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Gregor Samsa, you'll be happy to know that Parillo is now getting paid in RVCA shirts instead of Tito's poo poo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

Gregor Samsa, you'll be happy to know that Parillo is now getting paid in RVCA shirts instead of Tito's poo poo

Cyborg is a big lady. Not even talkin' muscles here or whatever. She was just born with a frame bigger than even most average men. It's kind of amazing she even makes 145 tbh, given that's midget fight club for the boys.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

1st AD posted:

He's movin' up in the world (Pat, the guy who started RVCA, is a childhood friend of Parillo's and takes good care of him, i.e. also gives him trunks).

For size comparison for Cyborg, that dude on the right of the photo fights MT at 154 and walks just under 170 (I used to train him). Cyborg must be enormous.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

She was just born with a frame bigger than even most average men.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with ingesting a boat load of male hormones

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mmajunkie posted:

Right around the time Will Brooks was wondering why he’d threatened to slap another MMA champion in the mouth on sight, experiencing something of an anger blackout on Twitter, a name popped up on his phone.

It was mom.

“Please Jesus, don’t let this be what I think it’s going to be,” the Bellator lightweight champion thought.

Really, though, he already knew what was coming. It wasn’t that he’d flown off the handle at Bellator featherweight champion Patricio “Pitbull” Freire (24-2 MMA, 12-2 BMMA), who started the whole thing with a little jab about his headliner slot at November’s Bellator 145. It was that he’d done so with such vulgarity.

He’d cursed.

“We’re not allowed to swear in front of parents,” Brooks (16-1 MMA, 8-1 BMMA), who faces Marcin Held (21-3 MMA, 10-2 BMMA) in Bellator 145’s co-main event Nov. 6 at St. Louis’ Scottrade Center, told MMAjunkie Radio.

Brooks said he’d recently gotten his sister in trouble for bad words at a family gathering. Now, he said, she’d returned the favor, ratting him out when she saw his rant online.

Brooks’ mom started the conversation by first pronouncing his full name – a giveaway to the earful ahead.

“She went right in on me,” he said.

So the 28-year-old MMA champ took his medicine. She was mad that he’d carried himself in that manner. She wanted to know why he’d let another man get him so upset and made him so thoroughly lose his cool. But mainly, she wanted to pass on an important message: knock it off.

“When mom tells me to stop doing something I shut it down quick,” said Brooks.

Of course, like any young man trying to talk his way out of trouble, he couldn’t let the entire conversation pass without a word in his defense. There was a reason he’d come back so hard at Freire.

“I said I know you raised me better to approach in controlled manner and using language,” Brooks said. “But there’s one thing I’ve learned in this line of work. You can’t do the whole modest thing. You can’t just let guys walk over you, because when you do, it gets out of hand.”

“Not only the fighters, but promoters in other organizations. They subconsciously get a little comfortable.”

The feud also didn’t come out of nowhere. Freire’s brother, Patricky, resides in the Bellator lightweight division and recently went on his own online offensive. The three have history.

While a full reprieve wasn’t forthcoming, Brooks said he earned a little bit of understanding from the opponent he most fears.

“She understands there are types of people like Patricio ‘Pitbull,’ who’s just a very ignorant and small-minded person, that you do have to let them know that I’m going to whup your butt; I’ll slap you in your mouth, because that’s the way I’ve been raised,” Brooks said. “That’s a different type of message, and I just need to express that to him.

“My mom just didn’t like the way I was cursing and swearing. I have friends that have kids that look up to me. She was more disappointed that I didn’t think of that.”

fightermoms.txt

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

fatherdog posted:

[url=http://mmajunkie.com/2015/08/bellator-champ-will-brooks-apologized-after-his-mom-yelled-at-him]

fightermoms.txt

I like that he would have gotten away with it if he weren't a snitch.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Gregor Samsa posted:

He's movin' up in the world (Pat, the guy who started RVCA, is a childhood friend of Parillo's and takes good care of him, i.e. also gives him trunks).

For size comparison for Cyborg, that dude on the right of the photo fights MT at 154 and walks just under 170 (I used to train him). Cyborg must be enormous.

She weighs 175lbs before cutting. That's big

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

vainman posted:

She weighs 175lbs before cutting. That's big

Jesus.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I totally understand why they won't do it, but it's really a shame that Ronda just won't fight her at 145. Even if Cyborg does make 135 by some miracle, the cut will be so rough that I'm sure people will just discount it anyways when she loses.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If Ronda can skirt a million buys against a nobody, she can pretty much fight anybody and get paid. she doesn't need to fight Cyborg and risk brain damage against a steroid cheat.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

1st AD posted:

If Ronda can skirt a million buys against a nobody, she can pretty much fight anybody and get paid. she doesn't need to fight Cyborg and risk brain damage against a steroid cheat.

Ronda for sure doesn't need to take the fight but she seems like a competitive freak so I bet she considers her legacy, and without fighting Cyborg there's always going to be that looming question

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Besides Ronda has better striking at this point than Cyborg and would probably just knock her out anyways.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

-Atom- posted:

Ronda for sure doesn't need to take the fight but she seems like a competitive freak so I bet she considers her legacy, and without fighting Cyborg there's always going to be that looming question

There is no question. Cyborg would get crushed 10 times out of 10.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mr. Nice! posted:

Besides Ronda has better striking at this point than Cyborg and would probably just knock her out anyways.

Ronda gets hit in every fight though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mewse posted:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with ingesting a boat load of male hormones

Dude, steroids don't make you literally get taller and grow a broader collarbone. If they did Tito's head wouldn't be so out of whack with his body. Bodybuilders do all of the loving steroids and they are still weird veiny midgets.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Beche is a no one but she did a lot of self-promotion for the fight. I wonder how much affect that ended up having

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

vainman posted:

Beche is a no one but she did a lot of self-promotion for the fight. I wonder how much affect that ended up having
None in the US, with the exception of it making the Countdown show more interesting.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

colonel_korn posted:

I totally understand why they won't do it, but it's really a shame that Ronda just won't fight her at 145. Even if Cyborg does make 135 by some miracle, the cut will be so rough that I'm sure people will just discount it anyways when she loses.

if she starts the weight cut now, I think she'd be ready to fight in like 2 years? I don't think there's 40lbs of fluid in a person's body.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

-Atom- posted:

Ronda gets hit in every fight though

Cyborg doesn't have the one shot KO power that I can recall. Though on balance she's taken a handful of heaters and been completely unfazed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

colonel_korn posted:

It's really a shame that Cyborg decided to bulk up in the last two years and walk around at 175 instead of losing weight. Given that Cyborg has now stated she can make 135 Rousey should never ever go to 145 for this.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Dude, steroids don't make you literally get taller and grow a broader collarbone.
She's 173 cm tall, which, while tall-ish, is below average for the sport she started in (handball) and on par with several 135-pounders. She isn't that huge if you take away the muscle.

And yea, she's been bulking up the past couple of years after declining the first offer of a UFC contract because reasons. :ortiz:

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Zwachro posted:

She's 173 cm tall, which, while tall-ish, is below average for the sport she started in (handball) and on par with several 135-pounders. She isn't that huge if you take away the muscle.

And yea, she's been bulking up the past couple of years after declining the first offer of a UFC contract because reasons. :ortiz:

a ufc contract that would've allowed her to fight in invicta, no less

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
We are really over looking the stupidest thing in this whole thing...which is loving God damned Tito. Why oh why would Cyborg hire him to be a manager.

It's also strange how she can come off looking pretty normal in that picture posted earlier and then pretty "oh GOD" in other pictures. That girl needs a stylist or something.

But then again Brazilians age in Brazilian years so there is that thing too.

Please post all the Nog pictures now.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Here's a pretty in-depth article about Cyborg trying to make 135. I didn't realize that the UFC was chipping in to have this guy live with her. I still won't believe it til I see it though.

https://www.bostonherald.com/sports/other/ultimate_fighting/2015/08/cyborg_in_down_time

quote:

With each dominant victory Ronda Rousey records — the most recent being her Aug. 1 first-round knockout of Bethe Correia — the heat turns up on a showdown with Cris “Cyborg” Justino, the only other woman in MMA with a streak of dominance comparable to Rousey’s. Justino has not lost in 10 years.

But the mega fight has proved frustratingly elusive for years, as Justino and her management have repeatedly expressed doubt the perennial 145-pounder, who enters the cage around 168 after rehydrating, could make the 135-pound weight class Rousey commands.

Enter George Lockhart, a Marine and former fighter turned MMA nutrition and diet guru. Seeing big dollar signs in a Rousey/Justino fight after a standoff reminiscent of Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, the UFC and Justino’s management are chipping in to pay Lockhart to encamp himself with Justino and verify she can make the weight. Lockhart, who’s worked with Justino for her past two fights, will return to Justino’s California training camp in two weeks.

“I’ll probably be with her for 3-4 months, basically living with her,” Lockhart told the Herald last week. “I sit there, I watch everything she does, go to her training sessions while she’s training, I see how intense her training is.”

“The one thing that we have to do this time is really concentrate on nothing but sport-specific movement. So no random lifting, no random anything. If you want to lose the weight . . . you are going to lose muscle. If you’re losing muscle, you want to make sure you’re losing the muscle that you don’t need.”

The weight issue is particularly charged because Justino failed a 2011 drug test for the steroid stanozolol, which she claimed came from a supplement a doctor provided her to assist in cutting to 145. Rousey has seized on that, saying Justino would be able to make the weight if she stopped doping.

Lockhart said he’s had to overcome some trust barriers with Justino because of her drug scandal, which shelved her for a year just as the UFC integrated women after purchasing the Strikeforce organization, where Justino was reigning champ and on a collision course with Rousey.

“When I got out there, she didn’t 100 percent trust in me,” Lockhart said. “And as I got closer to Cris, I kind of found out the reason why. Because back in the day, she trusted her coach 100 percent, and that backfired and she (tested positive). She was taking stuff that her coach was telling her to take. She just had faith in her coach. Now that she’s been with me for a while, she 100 percent trusts me. It took a while. It really did.”

Some have questioned Justino’s commitment to making the weight, observing that she appears as big as ever when she’s between bouts. Lockhart said that’s a function of her leaning out.

“A lot of people don’t realize that when you lean out, you look bigger,” Lockhart said. “A lot of people think that Cris lifts heavy. Man, I think this last camp, I don’t think I even saw her lift. We carried bags one time, but other than that, that’s all she wrote, man.”

Lockhart will put Justino on an obsessive dietary regimen, designed to boost her metabolism and balance her system’s water and sodium quotient in a way that maximizes weight loss while maintaining the strength needed to execute strikes and throws. One thing that will be cut back, for instance, is uphill sprinting, which Lockhart said Justino has long done, but serves only to add bulk to the legs, which has limited utility in a fight.

Even at 135 pounds, Lockhart thinks he can maintain Justino’s signature hitting power and still get her back up to her 168 in-cage weight on fight night.

“My goal is to get her to the weight of that she fights at right now,” Lockhart said. “We keep the water intake super, super high, keep sodium high. Three days prior, we cut out carbs and then we cut out the sodium and increase the water. So basically through osmosis, your body starts removing water because of the unbalance.”

Under a new doping testing regime, the UFC reportedly plans to crack down this fall on fighters using IV bags to replenish water weight after a cut. Lockhart said this won’t present a problem for Justino, because a certain mix in recovery shakes can achieve about the same affect.

“You’re looking at doing about three to four shakes, and it’s going to give you the same thing that you’d get from like a saline bag,” Lockhart said. “The thing is, we also have to reload the glycogen properly, make sure we give her just enough, not too much, not too little. We do everything based off of math.”

Lockhart is working on the idea that Justino will have her first fight at 135 in late November or December in the UFC-affiliated Invicta Fighting Championship. Meanwhile, Rousey is tracked to face nemesis Miesha Tate for the third time, likely in early January.

In May, Rousey — whose celebrity is exploding and was recently signed to star in a Paramount movie about her life — told the Herald she sees the Justino fight as the last of her career.

“In my mind, in a perfect world, I would fight her as my last fight and beat her in front of everybody, and then take off my belt and hand it back to (UFC president) Dana (White) and move on with my life,” Rousey said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

Here's a pretty in-depth article about Cyborg trying to make 135. I didn't realize that the UFC was chipping in to have this guy live with her. I still won't believe it til I see it though.

https://www.bostonherald.com/sports/other/ultimate_fighting/2015/08/cyborg_in_down_time

That's pretty God damned insane but if it makes a Ronda/Cyborg superfight I'm all for it.

While I know Brazilians are masters of excuses I can see anyone going, "Yeah coach" and taking something that has test in it. Not just saying Cyborg but anyone. But, I've never been a super competitive athlete around those kinds of drugs so what the flaming gently caress do I know?