Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mad Dragon posted:

20 years ago today, I joined the Navy. 14 years ago yesterday, I got the gently caress out. :feelsgood:

You old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I could have retired at 20 last year. :bahgawd:

:corsair:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Yup, those were the days.

I just had my third lifestyle polygraph in 8 months. On one of the questions they said ~words~

The poly is such a crock of poo poo. I know guys that have failed it that shouldn't have failed and I know guys that passed it that had no business passing it, one that even had egregious foreign contact unreported (that was eventually reported and he got booted). Most of the spies in recent history took and passed polys. I always spike on the physical response on the polys because having my fate hooked up to a psuedo-science machine pisses me off. It doesn't help that I'm a stone-faced autist, so I sit still and they always go

"HEY WHY DONT YOU MOVE AROUND AND SAY MORE WORDS"

"Because you asked me a yes or no question you chicken poo poo"

"I DON'T WANT YOU IN MY FOX HOLE" ~Direct Quote~

2 late now, i'm in ur fox hole :bahgawd:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

What do they do, then? A buddy worked with them and seemed to have some decently high praise and another just commissioned as one.

Sit at NCWDG and play with tools they didn't write. Feed me an email address and I'll tell you more about it. I know most of them, interviewed some of them, and have worked with a couple of them (there are like 19) and maybe 3 of them are worth a gently caress, two of whom are a prior E6/E7.

And trust me when I say amongst developers or anybody who actually does that kind of work, the program is a laughing stock and FLTCYBERCOM is in a tizzy to try and re-tool and un-gently caress it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ded posted:

Start with your LPO & Yeomen, most likely you will end up talking to legal. Start it or kiss that money goodbye forever.

Just found out my wife accidentally used it on a prescription refill. Even though I didn't request coverage it's on me because I didn't expressly deny it either. Or so they say.

Upon request, employers must provide continuation of health insurance to reservist employees serving longer than 30 days. This extended coverage continues for 24 months after the absence begins, until the date the person returns to work or until the deadline for applying for reemployment, whichever is sooner.

I never did that.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I was asked to sum up my thoughts on pursuing command at sea (or command, but I'm a SWO) and after a brief period of thought, I summed it up as follows:

quote:

Command at sea, while I think is something which would be personally rewarding and valuable, in my opinion is a dead end. I currently work on a major staff in a major program and while there is significant opportunity for progress and positive change, there is a very low ceiling to that accomplishment since anything worthwhile will extend well past a single tour. Ultimately, the most positive and meaningful impact I'd ever have would be in the lives of sailors that I'd lead by default. I don't need to pursue command in the Navy to make that impact as a leader. Instead, I can pursue a career path where I can establish myself and work towards a lasting impact in a field I enjoy.

It's kind of the first time I've been able to adequately articulate what I've long known to be the problem with the Navy and SWO.

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 18, 2015

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Does anyone know what the hell NR FLTORDSPT is? I was just told it's the weapons unit out of Seal Beach. But what the hell would they need a CTT for? My orders for drilling station changed, but i'm pretty sure I'm going to have my orders here renewed, so hopefully it's a moot point. But does anyone have any information on them, past a google?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Something fleet ordnance support?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

squarerandom posted:

Does anyone know what the hell NR FLTORDSPT is? I was just told it's the weapons unit out of Seal Beach. But what the hell would they need a CTT for? My orders for drilling station changed, but i'm pretty sure I'm going to have my orders here renewed, so hopefully it's a moot point. But does anyone have any information on them, past a google?

I can't offer any actual help, but anecdotally, I'm pretty sure that unit is the disgruntled reserve unit that gets put on banding and stacking detail when we would pull into port. They didn't help every time, but I remember them being super butthurt about the whole thing.

Hope you like silicon grease and speed wrenches!

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

squarerandom posted:

I'm gonna guess chaff/nulka.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Naval Reserve Fleet Ordnance Support.

just another SEAL/EOD reserve support team?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

squarerandom posted:

poopkitty posted:

I'm gonna guess chaff/nulka.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Get asked this morning to stay on the watchfloor to help some TDYers with a training evolution. Guys show up and ask me how to get onto the systems and as I'm helping them this Major puts his hand on my shoulder and goes "I think it's best if my Sgt handles this, not you" and pulls me back from the guy asking me how to login. "Alright sir" gently caress it I'm out, this is outside my working hours anyway. The Sgt was hovering and glaring at me the whole time and now I know why.

Halfway home I get a call from the SWO calling me back because Major and Sgt have no idea what the gently caress they're doing. Neither made eye contact with me as I set everyone up after that.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Thanks for the answers ya'll.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
God drat chaff/nulka and their lockers were the bulk of my hits in COSR because god drat CTTs don't give a gently caress.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

God drat chaff/nulka and their lockers were the bulk of my hits in COSR because god drat CTTs don't give a gently caress.

Their underway job is p. futile and terrible. I'd not give a decent amount of fucks as well. I cross rated to avoid being stuck in front of the refrigerator from 1970 with a green screen that was somehow supposed to save us all.

Edit: Always did kinda want to shoot a Nulka round tho.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I really want to see one on an actual radar because they sound rad as gently caress.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I really want to see one on an actual radar because they sound rad as gently caress.

quote:

Nulka is a rocket propelled, disposable, offboard, active decoy designed to ″seduce″ anti-ship missiles away from their targets.
:wink:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
When I got out of the navy I weighed around 205. I haven't been trying to do anything regarding weight. I just don't drink much or eat a ton of junk. This morning I decided to weigh myself on a whim and I'm 144 :wtc:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Mr. Nice! posted:

When I got out of the navy I weighed around 205. I haven't been trying to do anything regarding weight. I just don't drink much or eat a ton of junk. This morning I decided to weigh myself on a whim and I'm 144 :wtc:

The Navy always adds 60 pounds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Null Integer posted:

The Navy always adds 60 pounds.

I was about 160 when I joined and hovered at 170-180 for the majority of my time in. Alcohol and pain led me to my biggest point, and weed has brought me to the lightest I've been since not long after high school.

None of my loving jeans fit.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Make sure you don't have pancreatic cancer or something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sir Lucius posted:

Make sure you don't have pancreatic cancer or something

I just had an appointment at the VA and all my labs came back fine. It's not rapid weight loss. This has been progressive since summer 2013.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Most of the elderly do experience weight loss.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
ECS update - the Navy is really loving gay

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Mr. Nice! is a testament that the solution to most issues is just smoke a bunch of weed

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I guess someone was all Navy'd out and cancelled the last event after everyone had already sent their planes off. Also got to wipe walls in Hanger 1 today, yay me.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CMD598 posted:

I guess someone was all Navy'd out and cancelled the last event after everyone had already sent their planes off. Also got to wipe walls in Hanger 1 today, yay me.

Probably the smoke from all the wild fires around, it's bringing visibility down to gently caress-all. That's what canceled my FCF today, not surprised they canceled the strike as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They'd better not scrub poo poo next week, I'm gonna be out on the ranges as a spectator.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Godholio posted:

They'd better not scrub poo poo next week, I'm gonna be out on the ranges as a spectator.

I hope they canx everything.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

I was on B-19 one night doing JTAC stuff and one of the Hornets we were controlling tried to drop an LGTR on us. Might want to wear a helmet. ;)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's awesome. I'm bringing a camera. I'll probably be in the valley, but I dunno.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Welp, no more making fun of the air force for this.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=90687

Godholio posted:

That's awesome. I'm bringing a camera. I'll probably be in the valley, but I dunno.

We didn't think it was too awesome at the time.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

vulturesrow posted:

Welp, no more making fun of the air force for this.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=90687

The amount of crying about this that I hear on a daily basis is loving absurd. I get it old retired guy, your Navy was better for whatever reason, okay chief sure, you don't like participation trophies (it isn't one), etc. It gives people at boot something to strive for if they really want to Joe Navy it up, good for them. I mean who really gives a gently caress about chest candy?

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

PneumonicBook posted:

The amount of crying about this that I hear on a daily basis is loving absurd. I get it old retired guy, your Navy was better for whatever reason, okay chief sure, you don't like participation trophies (it isn't one), etc. It gives people at boot something to strive for if they really want to Joe Navy it up, good for them. I mean who really gives a gently caress about chest candy?

Probably people that can't have this one. Ribbon envy is sad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

It's still pretty dumb. Though at least it's something for the top motards instead of given to everyone who passes boot camp like the Army and AF ribbons.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The boot camp ribbon requires a higher level of personal accomplishment than like 80% of ribbons that most people have so whatever.

The people complaining about this never seem to have a problem with the National Defense ribbon or the GWOT or the unit awards they're wearing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Speaking of ridiculously Joe Navy, that reminded me of this gem that I discovered through the POW a few weeks ago:

Navy Releases New Mobile Game

quote:

The Navy Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention (NADAP) Office released a mobile game March 3 as part of the Keep What You've Earned campaign.

"Pier Pressure" was designed to promote responsible drinking among Sailors by incorporating real-life choices in an entertaining work-and-play scenario. The app also enables all Sailors to have important alcohol-related resources at their fingertips 24/7, including a blood alcohol content (BAC) calculator and local taxi search.

Quite possibly the saddest thing ever produced by the Navy. I genuinely wonder how many people have downloaded it non-ironically or without being told to by their chief.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
superboot ribbons are just an easy way to identify hazing targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

krispykremessuck posted:

superboot ribbons are just an easy way to identify hazing targets

Remember when people flipped out about some boot Marine holding an umbrella for Obama?
Dude's rack consisted of a McDonald's medal and a GWOT-S.
Boot. as. gently caress.

• Locked thread