Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shbobdb posted:

Also, I don't get the third rail hate. MTA works on a third rail system and gets serviced just fine.

They also do a lot more double-tracking though. Does BART even do any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Armani posted:

That was legit amazing. It felt like I was in Kona. My more traveled brother said it felt like a nicer version of Thailand. Both are better than this devil's rear end in a top hat heat.

I grew up in Idaho and I've stood outside and experienced electrical storms close up that wrecked poo poo everywhere.
Those were pussy storms compared to that storm. I was literally hiding in the center of my house and covering my ears.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 18, 2015

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
These last few days have been absolute paradise. I walked in Redwood park today and could not tell where my skin ended and the air began. You pussies complain about this poo poo?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Zesty Mordant posted:

These last few days have been absolute paradise. I walked in Redwood park today and could not tell where my skin ended and the air began. You pussies complain about this poo poo?

It is a bit warm, but, hehehe. It is loving gorgeous.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pohl posted:

I grew up in Idaho and I've stood outside and experienced electrical storms close up that wrecked poo poo everywhere.
Those were pussy storms compared to that storm. I was literally hiding in the center of my house and covering my ears.

gently caress humidity though. Half the point of living in southern California is that it's not humid for more than a few days a year. Cold and humid is fine, hot and dry is fine, but hot and humid is loving miserable. I don't know how anyone stands living outside of here.

THE LORD GOD
Aug 7, 2015

by Ralp
So I've been reading this thread and I've got a question. Is Rah! autistic or mildly retarded? Looking at how he/she posts and structures responses it seems likely. I was curious about how much credence you guys give his posts.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FCKGW posted:

Sheriff Sniff piloted one of the first body camera programs in the state, scaled back the take-home car program and blamed runaway pay and pensions for contract city's police force costs inflating. The union has pulled their support in return.

And the sad thing is, they're probably going to get rid of him.

Goddamn are the Sheriffs in Riverside a shameful disgrace. I know a few of these people through family friends and they are the biggest macho babies around. Also super right-wing, of course (which is why they had their union publicly cry about the ACLU).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 18, 2015

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Dirk the Average posted:

gently caress humidity though. Half the point of living in southern California is that it's not humid for more than a few days a year. Cold and humid is fine, hot and dry is fine, but hot and humid is loving miserable. I don't know how anyone stands living outside of here.

Man I live in Texas now and the heat/humidity isn't that big of a deal as long as you're not doing anything strenuous. Warm/humid nights can actually be really fun.

Still miss CA weather, though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Texas weather in the summer is horribly sweaty and inhuman and that's not counting the dust and smog. :colbert:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Keyser S0ze posted:

Texas weather in the summer is horribly sweaty and inhuman and that's not counting the dust and smog. :colbert:

Could be worse though. Could be Florida. That made Virginia feel cool and dry in comparison.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Keyser S0ze posted:

Texas is hot and humid as humid and hot can be during the summer, but where pray tell did you go that had plenty of dust and smog?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Isn't all of west texas like a dust bowl or something?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Space-Bird posted:

Isn't all of west texas like a dust bowl or something?

Not this year.

Oh note that 2-3 weeks ago it was 95% white.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Back Hack posted:

Texas is hot and humid as humid and hot can be during the summer, but where pray tell did you go that had plenty of dust and smog?

outside Dallas both times I've been there to play golf in June 2005 and June 2010.........reminded me of late 70's inland southern california when I was a little kid (without the exhaust smell though), maybe some fires were going on - definitely couldn't see from Irving to Flower Mound, lol.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
l m a o

quote:

The Central Valley is sinking at a record pace as drought-gripped farms pump out the groundwater beneath them, new satellite data show.

In some places the ground is dropping nearly two inches a month, according to measurements taken by the state and NASA, dragging roads, bridges and other infrastructure with it.

Last year, land near the community of Corcoran between Fresno and Bakersfield dropped 13 inches in eight months, according to the data released Wednesday. The town of Arbuckle north of Sacramento saw five inches of sinking over six months, and points along the California Aqueduct, which carries water beside Interstate 5 in the San Joaquin Valley, fell eight inches in four months.

Irrigation canals have begun to buckle, wells have fractured and even streets are cracking. State and federal officials fear that railroad lines and home foundations may be next.

“As extensive groundwater pumping continues the land is sinking more rapidly, and this puts nearby infrastructure at greater risk of costly damage,” said Mark Cowin, director of the Department of Water Resources, which worked with NASA to collect information from satellites and report on groundwater levels.

The findings are prompting California officials to reexamine restrictions on groundwater pumping that were approved last year but aren’t expected to be implemented until at least 2020. With farms getting less water from rivers and creeks during the drought, unregulated well water is being tapped in increasing quantities.

“We don’t believe we can sustain this kind of pumping and the effects that are occurring,” Cowin said. “What this new NASA report underscores for us is the need for more near-term measures.”
Permanently destroying our aquifers is a small price to pay compared to the importance of growing almonds for export to China.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

FMguru posted:

Permanently destroying our aquifers is a small price to pay compared to the importance of growing almonds for export to China.

Yeah, maybe we shouldn't have created an artificial hinterland with endemic unemployment and despair just so people could enjoy cheap strawberries and profit off of shipping almonds to China.

What I mean to say is that The Central Valley is entirely a colonialist narrative and the wealthy imperialist pigs in the urban centers love bemoaning the stupid poors in their little colony and how they can't seem to manage their impoverished third world country.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can't speak for most of my fellow wealthy imperialist pigs, but I mostly blame huge, profitable agricultural corporations for this, not their impoverished serf employees.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

TildeATH posted:

Yeah, maybe we shouldn't have created an artificial hinterland with endemic unemployment and despair just so people could enjoy cheap strawberries and profit off of shipping almonds to China.

What I mean to say is that The Central Valley is entirely a colonialist narrative and the wealthy imperialist pigs in the urban centers love bemoaning the stupid poors in their little colony and how they can't seem to manage their impoverished third world country.

Yes those poor poor billionaires certainly deserve our pity

But the region is about a lot more than just shitburgers, migrant workers and toxic pesticides. This stretch of the Central Valley should really be called Oligarch Valley. It ain't Park Avenue, so you won't see any huge mansions. But just about all the land running along the highway and as far as you can see to the horizon is owned by a small clique of billionaires and oligarchs, many of whom trace their roots back to the landholdings of America's most notorious industrialist vampires: the Union Pacific Railroad octopus, John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil, the family of belligerent Los Angeles Times publisher Harry Chandler... Some of these illustrious farmers come from old Southern plantation families that had diversified their agricultural operations into California over a century ago using the next best thing to slave labor: migrant workers.

Their offspring still run the place like their very own banana republic. They fly in to inspect their businesses on private jets, buy politicians, own entire towns, import migrant slave labor, pollute and plunder with impunity and bend everything and everyone to their will. They wield enormous political power, and the vast tracts of land under their control boggles the mind. You can drive for an hour at 80 mph and only trace one side of a single oligarch-family farm. And yet, they are nearly invisible to the general public.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Yeah, you're right, you shot down my colonialist critique by pointing to the existence of a disgusting oligarchy, because lol that never happens in colonialization.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

TildeATH posted:

Yeah, you're right, you shot down my colonialist critique by pointing to the existence of a disgusting oligarchy, because lol that never happens in colonialization.

Typical cognitive error of the radical left, mistaking poverty for virtuousness.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Large corporate farms waste less water and pollute less per unit of food produced than smaller farms or growing food at home. :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Again, when wealthy liberal city-dwelling elites criticize "the farmers" they are not aiming at the grape-pickers, they're aiming at the oligarchs. Defending the laborers as a response is misconstruing the original complaint.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

Again, when wealthy liberal city-dwelling elites criticize "the farmers" they are not aiming at the grape-pickers, they're aiming at the oligarchs. Defending the laborers as a response is misconstruing the original complaint.

No, in general rural people are characterized as incestuous simpletons.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FMguru posted:

l m a o

Literally the same thing happened in Central Turkey about a decade ago. They pumped out all the water, and entire plains sunk measurably, destroying infrastructure and cracking the foundations of countless buildings.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

computer parts posted:

Have you met any rural people?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

computer parts posted:

We're not talking in general. We're talking about the current debate in California about water usage. In this debate, city folk are accused of focusing their wrath upon the downtrodden farmers of the central valley. This is misdirection: the city folk are actually directing their wrath upon the wealthy oligarchs who control California agriculture.

It's a convenient and effective misdirection that is used constantly in politics to deflect criticism of everything from corn subsidies to pesticide regulations. Those "Congress Created Dust Bowl" signs on I-5 are exactly that sort of misdirection: the phrase "dust bowl" conjures black-and-white imagery of suffering workers in abject poverty, Steinbeck novels, etc.

This isn't about poverty in the rural counties. It's not about those rich folk in the cities who "just don't get it" about the salt-of-the-earth clean-country-livin' farmers what feed America on the sweat of their backs. It's not about undocumented immigrants being exploited by whining white suburbanites who "can't get a job" but would never dream of (and simply couldn't handle) 12 hours bent over picking strawberries in the California summer heat. It's not about struggling family farmers or the loss of the American Way of Life.

It's about a handful of wealthy families and profitable corporations exporting California's limited water to Texas and China in the form of an unnecessary alfalfa crop, depleting its millenia-old aquifer permanently, and a state goverment so far largely unwilling to give up the lucrative lobbying dollars those families shovel into their pockets.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Zesty Mordant posted:

It got to 107 where I was a few days ago. Today? Exactly like your Redwood walk. loving amaziiiing.

Also, I think I found a place in San Diego County area? Go Team Venture? Whole new frontier for me.

FMguru posted:

l m a o

Oh cool! Super awesome! Yay! God help us

Armani fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 20, 2015

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Armani posted:

It got to 107 where I was a few days ago. Today? Exactly like your Redwood walk. loving amaziiiing.

Also, I think I found a place in San Diego County area? Go Team Venture? Whole new frontier for me.

Oh cool! Super awesome! Yay! God help us

Where in San Diego? I'm in Mission Valley currently but I'll be moving soon.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Bobby Digital posted:

Where in San Diego? I'm in Mission Valley currently but I'll be moving soon.

Can't we just ban groundwater pumping in the central valley for the next 25 years until the aquifer can kind of sorta recharge? CA state government isn't above just arbitrarily laying down bullshit rules so why can't they do something that will actually ...you know, keep California functional in the long (+10000 years) term? I'm not a treehugger or anything (delta smelt can sit in an aquarium until conditions permit a release) but permabanning our aquifers which won't be fixed on a geologic timescale seems horribly irresponsible and then what happens? The billionaires just pack up and move somewhere else while half of our state is left to rot? The lobbying money will go with them so why can't the govt just tell them to go gently caress themselves if they don't stop setting up rice paddies in a drought and collapsing irreplaceable aquifers?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Trabisnikof posted:

Large corporate farms waste less water and pollute less per unit of food produced than smaller farms or growing food at home. :shrug:
Larger farms tend to be more efficient for obvious reasons. That they are corporate owned and part of an agriculture oligarchy has nothing to do with the benefits large scale ag.

Leperflesh posted:

It's about a handful of wealthy families and profitable corporations exporting California's limited water to Texas and China in the form of an unnecessary alfalfa crop, depleting its millenia-old aquifer permanently, and a state goverment so far largely unwilling to give up the lucrative lobbying dollars those families shovel into their pockets.
Pretty much.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

cheese posted:

Larger farms tend to be more efficient for obvious reasons. That they are corporate owned and part of an agriculture oligarchy has nothing to do with the benefits large scale ag.

I'm fairly libertarian and somewhat left leaning but this is the kind of thing I'm all for unleashing the unholy power of the State on. "Compensate" these corporations and boot them out, permanently.

This is such a massive public health and safety liability, why can't they look at anything beyond next quarter's profits? :smith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Minarchist posted:

Can't we just ban groundwater pumping in the central valley for the next 25 years until the aquifer can kind of sorta recharge? CA state government isn't above just arbitrarily laying down bullshit rules so why can't they do something that will actually ...you know, keep California functional in the long (+10000 years) term? I'm not a treehugger or anything (delta smelt can sit in an aquarium until conditions permit a release) but permabanning our aquifers which won't be fixed on a geologic timescale seems horribly irresponsible and then what happens? The billionaires just pack up and move somewhere else while half of our state is left to rot? The lobbying money will go with them so why can't the govt just tell them to go gently caress themselves if they don't stop setting up rice paddies in a drought and collapsing irreplaceable aquifers?

aquifers take a few hundred to a few thousand years to recharge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Minarchist posted:

An outright ban would probably insta-crush a number of farms, plus tens of thousands of homes and businesses that aren't hooked up to municipal water supplies. But I don't think a ban is even necessary. This is just another case where people are extracting a resource from "the commons" - a resource that we, the people, own via eminent domain - without paying for it. The well you drilled may be on your property, but the aquifer you're extracting water from surely extends beyond it, sometimes for hundreds of miles.

Metering well water would, by itself, be a huge and expensive undertaking. But if it could be done in any kind of reasonable timetable, we could then simply charge by the gallon, perhaps on a sliding scale, perhaps charging reasonable residential users less than corporations, etc. etc. in a similar way to how we already meter other public utilities.

I think it would be politically very difficult to do. A lot of people have this (erroneous) impression that "ownership" of a piece of land is an entitlement to do what they want with it, and anyone who says different is violating a fundamental right. It's not always easy to convince folks that the government charging them for something they previously took for free is remotely fair... especially when, if you put it to a vote, the large majority of voters (who mostly don't have private wells) are voting to tax a minority.

But a deed to a piece of real estate isn't absolute ownership. The land was "won" originally by the country - through conquest, war, theft, purchase, whatever - and then the right to use the land was given or sold to people as a way of promoting development, economic growth, and general prosperity. Whenever the use to which an individual wants to put land runs counter to the public interest, the public wins, because the land actually belongs to the public.

I don't find this to be a particularly difficult concept to grasp, but there's enough libertarians, freemen-on-the-landers, NIMBYists, etc. that it seems like sometimes nobody else sees things this way.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

etalian posted:

Depends on the specifics of the aquifers. Aquifer recharging is both already an important tool and will be an even more important tool in the future. Water districts already use aquifer recharging to bank water during wet years.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

etalian posted:

Worse, the aquifers aren't there any more - all that ground settling is the empty space that used to hold water being squished out of existence.

Totally worth it for those almonds.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FMguru posted:

Worse, the aquifers aren't there any more - all that ground settling is the empty space that used to hold water being squished out of existence.

Totally worth it for those almonds.

According to a CA Almond Board commercial advertisement sponsor message I'm hearing six times a day on NPR, almonds have the same water needs as any other tree. So no problem there. :v:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Litany Unheard posted:

According to a CA Almond Board commercial advertisement sponsor message I'm hearing six times a day on NPR, almonds have the same water needs as any other tree. So no problem there. :v:

Ban all cash crops for the next 100 years. We don't need almond exports and alfalfa sprouts at the permanent expense of our fundamental water supply.

A strong contender for the most cancerous commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybJ6fS7ruuo

It's so bad! stuck on the 405 and this comes on and I cant frantically mash my radio fast enough holy poo poo gently caress this commercial and to hell with any kids that get helped, gently caress 'em, this commercial is literally brain poison :gonk:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Minarchist posted:

Ban all cash crops for the next 100 years. We don't need almond exports and alfalfa sprouts at the permanent expense of our fundamental water supply.

It's not really the alfalfa sprouts you'd be exporting, it's alfalfa hay for livestock feed. Alfalfa is very high protein and pretty much the most desirable thing to feed your cattle over the winter, cut with some corn or straw hay or whatever.

But most of it's going toward feeding cows (maybe pigs too?) for beef and milk production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Minarchist posted:

A strong contender for the most cancerous commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybJ6fS7ruuo

It's so bad! stuck on the 405 and this comes on and I cant frantically mash my radio fast enough holy poo poo gently caress this commercial and to hell with any kids that get helped, gently caress 'em, this commercial is literally brain poison :gonk:

I always hated that commercial too. There seemed something strange about it to me, like it wasn't on the level, because they never really say what the charity is actually for, other than 'kids'...but apparently it's only for Jewish children. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kars4Kids

quote:

Donations to Kars4Kids benefit the Oorah (Joy for Our Youth, or J.O.Y.), a national organization with a stated goal of addressing the "educational, material, emotional and spiritual needs of Jewish children and their families."[3]

I didn't realize charities could just be funding for religious propaganda. I always thought there had to be some sort of veil of humanitarian outreach.