Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

genericnick posted:

Wait they didn't patch out the controlling elector penalty for PUs? Ah well.
They really should. A PU is not one country controlling another, it's two (or more) countries sharing a monarch. Why should a monarch, who holds the title of elector of the HRE, not be allowed to vote for themselves as emperor without penalty?

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It struck me how I'm missing the single ideas from EU3, especially the one that focuses on art. There's nothing in EU4 that truly lets me ignore warfare and just make the Swan King proud.

E:

It's even doubly sad, considering the time period.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 18, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
When should I consider completely annexation over sniping provinces?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

When your AE or OE can handle it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

When you're confident you can put down revolts in the area, you have enough ADM points for coring, and that the additional AE won't be a concern because you won't be conquering in that area for a while or you're strong enough to beat coalitions.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yesterday Ive started a game in Florence, with the goal of forming Italy, among other things.

It went downhill fast: Ive easilly annexed my one-province neighbours Lucca and Sienna through fabricated claims. Then a coalition was formed against me with basically everyone around and it was game over.

Any tips on playing italians nations? How am I supposed to grow if so little is enough to turn everyone into my enemy?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yesterday Ive started a game in Florence, with the goal of forming Italy, among other things.

It went downhill fast: Ive easilly annexed my one-province neighbours Lucca and Sienna through fabricated claims. Then a coalition was formed against me with basically everyone around and it was game over.

Any tips on playing italians nations? How am I supposed to grow if so little is enough to turn everyone into my enemy?

Slow your roll, man. Don't just conquer everything around you from the get-go; consolidate your gains and wait for AE to cool off before going back on the warpath. Maybe get Influence for the lessened AE on conquest.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Take it easy and wait with the big wars until the northern Italian states leave the HRE, Naples is pretty excellent for forming Italy since you can beat up Aragon and then focus on the pope. When you're done with that northern Italy has probably dropped out of the HRE.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
I have no idea if this is a known bug for 1.13 or not: I was playing as Castile because I wanted to get some achievements. Claimed several colonial regions while Catholic, and then formed Spain diplomatically. The colonial regions still showed up as claimed by Castile, and I got the Treaty of Tordesillas hits to growth and papal influence and opinion when starting new colonies there. Fortunately this has only ruined one of my plans for this run, but it was still frustrating to find out.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

thatdarnedbob posted:

I have no idea if this is a known bug for 1.13 or not: I was playing as Castile because I wanted to get some achievements. Claimed several colonial regions while Catholic, and then formed Spain diplomatically. The colonial regions still showed up as claimed by Castile, and I got the Treaty of Tordesillas hits to growth and papal influence and opinion when starting new colonies there. Fortunately this has only ruined one of my plans for this run, but it was still frustrating to find out.

I had the opposite, all my colonial regions got claimed by Spain while I was Castile. Very frustrating.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm going for Prester John. I can't say I like Ethiopia's start, despite the two easy vassals you can get to the north and south of you. You have to fight through the Mamluks, and then the Ottomans. At least you're Christian, so alliances with the Commonwealth or Austria are theoretically possible. Religious first is a no brainer, but ugh. This might be a game where I take Economic, since there is that pocket in Africa that has all those gold provinces.

I also like how you immediately get a Women in History event that gives you a level 3 adviser, yet you start with a negative income.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Elias_Maluco posted:

As others have said you just have to be slow about it. It's basically a balancing necessity because there are very few large powers in the HRE/central Europe, so if the AE wasn't doubled or whatever the HRE penalty is then it'd be way too easy to swallow up all the little minors/OPMs around you and get unbeatably huge. Just be patient and realize that none of your neighbors are ever going to get out-of-control big because if they do they'll also immediately get coalitioned to death.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Node posted:

I'm going for Prester John. I can't say I like Ethiopia's start, despite the two easy vassals you can get to the north and south of you. You have to fight through the Mamluks, and then the Ottomans. At least you're Christian, so alliances with the Commonwealth or Austria are theoretically possible. Religious first is a no brainer, but ugh. This might be a game where I take Economic, since there is that pocket in Africa that has all those gold provinces.

I also like how you immediately get a Women in History event that gives you a level 3 adviser, yet you start with a negative income.

Why the hell are you vassalizing Kaffa when they have a gold province for you, but have so little development that they won't be able to field an armor larger than 2 or 3. Same goes for Mehri Badhri really. Vassalizing Alodia, giving them their provinces back, feeding them Makuria, then making them a March till you can fight the Mamluks is solid though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Larry Parrish posted:

Why the hell are you vassalizing Kaffa when they have a gold province for you, but have so little development that they won't be able to field an armor larger than 2 or 3. Same goes for Mehri Badhri really. Vassalizing Alodia, giving them their provinces back, feeding them Makuria, then making them a March till you can fight the Mamluks is solid though.

I vassalize the smaller Coptic nations early on since you'll get more troops out of that land as vassals than under direct control and I prefer to take control of the horn of Africa ASAP. That's much easier with vassals helping you out (I usually even vassalize some of the Muslim states rather than conquer them). I also go for Exploration over Religious (actually I don't usually take Religious at all despite the Holy War CB being good as the only Coptic nation) as the first idea group since being able to snag all of south and west Africa and all the Indian Ocean islands is a big help.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

VDay posted:

As others have said you just have to be slow about it. It's basically a balancing necessity because there are very few large powers in the HRE/central Europe, so if the AE wasn't doubled or whatever the HRE penalty is then it'd be way too easy to swallow up all the little minors/OPMs around you and get unbeatably huge. Just be patient and realize that none of your neighbors are ever going to get out-of-control big because if they do they'll also immediately get coalitioned to death.

Indeed. Playing in and around the HRE is surprising to a lot of newer players, since AE is suddenly such a massive thing, and you're almost always playing as a smaller power, meaning other countries have no hesitation towards forming a coalition against you. You need to take a different approach than you would as say, an Ottomans or Muscovy, where you just get unstoppably huge and then AE doesn't matter because nobody coalitions you ever.

A decent strategy right now for playing in the HRE is actually to let other minors win wars, blob up, and then get coalitioned into the dirt. If you have claims on them, you can use the Coalition CB to take provinces for effective zero AE.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Larry Parrish posted:

Annexing them will be really cheap, and I want the admin. Plus, I tested it in a previous game. That gold mine gives a lot of inflation since your income is so bad, and I wouldn't want to spend even more admin lowering it, or dealing with the bad events you get when you get high inflation.

Zurai posted:

I vassalize the smaller Coptic nations early on since you'll get more troops out of that land as vassals than under direct control and I prefer to take control of the horn of Africa ASAP. That's much easier with vassals helping you out (I usually even vassalize some of the Muslim states rather than conquer them). I also go for Exploration over Religious (actually I don't usually take Religious at all despite the Holy War CB being good as the only Coptic nation) as the first idea group since being able to snag all of south and west Africa and all the Indian Ocean islands is a big help.

Exploration will definitely be my second choice. I'm not sure if my third choice should be a military idea group or economics, because by then I'll probably have all those gold provinces in the south that belong to a nation that I forgot the name of.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
As the Hansa, why is Austria pestering me over HRE provinces?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

As the Hansa, why is Austria pestering me over HRE provinces?

Because if somebody is illegally holding HRE provinces (ie. HRE provinces that you don't have cores on), they ask you to return them to their rightful owner. If you're allied with the Emperor, they tend to look the other way. If you as an HRE member take HRE provinces from a non-member, you get a free claim and nobody cares beyond the AE.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Because if somebody is illegally holding HRE provinces (ie. HRE provinces that you don't have cores on), they ask you to return them to their rightful owner. If you're allied with the Emperor, they tend to look the other way. If you as an HRE member take HRE provinces from a non-member, you get a free claim and nobody cares beyond the AE.

Gotcha. So if Im gonna start gobbling up HRE members I need to be aligned with the Emperor.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gotcha. So if Im gonna start gobbling up HRE members I need to be aligned with the Emperor.

And try and make sure that your emperor buddy doesn't lose the throne.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Donald Duck posted:

I had the opposite, all my colonial regions got claimed by Spain while I was Castile. Very frustrating.
I think this is a bug with time period bookmarks. If you click on a future bookmark before you start your game the colonial region ownership tags of that future bookmark aren't removed.

I had this in my Portugal game where I was first to reach the Caribbean but Spain somehow had the rights to the entire Caribbean and Mexico even though Spain had yet to form and Castle didn't have a single colony in the new world yet.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thinking of making a custom merchant republic in the Caribbean with something better than native tech. Is this a waste of my time? Tax is abysmal everywhere, I've noticed. If I expand into South America, will those provinces count as colonies, in the same way that they do for the Europeans? How do the El Dorado exploration events work for a guy based in the New World, anyway?

I take it I should be building a national idea set focused on colonists, trade, and merchants.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Thinking of making a custom merchant republic in the Caribbean with something better than native tech. Is this a waste of my time? Tax is abysmal everywhere, I've noticed. If I expand into South America, will those provinces count as colonies, in the same way that they do for the Europeans? How do the El Dorado exploration events work for a guy based in the New World, anyway?

I take it I should be building a national idea set focused on colonists, trade, and merchants.

Yes, any South American province more than 150 distance away from your capital will count as overseas and become colonial nations. So if your capital was somewhere in the southern part of the Lesser Antilles you could probably get some South American provinces without them becoming colonial nations, but not many. You'll be able to expand in North and Central America without it becoming colonial nations. Incidentally, the Lesser Antilles also have some of the best tax in the New World.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What's a fun, interesting south east asian country to play as? Either mainland or one of the islands. I've done the Japan/shogun game before, though never went further than forming Japan.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

What's a fun, interesting south east asian country to play as? Either mainland or one of the islands. I've done the Japan/shogun game before, though never went further than forming Japan.

I tried a Japan game recently. Ming didn't collapse. As a matter of fact, she sent 40 size + stacks of doom to my island and wrecked my poo poo the moment I stepped off of it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ming doesn't collapse much these days. They really need to be treated as an entity different from normal nations in the game, more akin to the HRE. Most of the region's history was states on China's periphery well aware they were in its shadow, and figuring out ways to work around that.

Judging by the statistics they published a little while ago I'm guessing there isn't the playerbase to justify them fleshing China out properly, but I'm still gonna be pretty disheartened if they just slap on a gimmick à la the American empires (although those gimmicks admittedly work great for those particular teams) and call it a day.

e: oh yeah to answer your question.. Southeast Asian? You mentioned Japan so I'm gonna guess you meant East Asia in general, in which case Japan is pretty much the most interesting. One of the Jurchens (Haixi, Jianzhou etc) can be fun too but might be pretty hard with Ming as it is now. For Southeast Asia, Ayutthaya and Majapahit were both fun.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 18, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Why does diplo annexing a state you have cores on still cost dip power :argh:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

So, uh, I did a thing.

Meet the Revolutionary Holy Roman Ottoman Empire! I had the world conquered by 1750, but then it took rebels twenty more years to take my capital. My biggest disappointment was that I can't switch to an Enlightened Despotism; I grabbed Plutocracy, but I can't get that remaining 10% to have everyone in the world as an accepted culture.

Also, it turns out that you get a few bonus achievements when you conquer every colonized province in the world.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

OneTwentySix posted:

So, uh, I did a thing.

Meet the Revolutionary Holy Roman Ottoman Empire! I had the world conquered by 1750, but then it took rebels twenty more years to take my capital. My biggest disappointment was that I can't switch to an Enlightened Despotism; I grabbed Plutocracy, but I can't get that remaining 10% to have everyone in the world as an accepted culture.

Also, it turns out that you get a few bonus achievements when you conquer every colonized province in the world.

You gotta tell us how you got there. At this point I won't be surprised if you started as Chimu, got elected emperor, and passed all the reforms before the Reformation.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

Yes, any South American province more than 150 distance away from your capital will count as overseas and become colonial nations. So if your capital was somewhere in the southern part of the Lesser Antilles you could probably get some South American provinces without them becoming colonial nations, but not many. You'll be able to expand in North and Central America without it becoming colonial nations. Incidentally, the Lesser Antilles also have some of the best tax in the New World.
Do land connections across continents negate the overseas thing in the new world? I notice Trinidad is a North American, Caribbean island with one of those little strait crossings into South America. If I were to plunk my republic down there, would I be able to settle both North and South America without having my provinces turn into colonial nations?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Do land connections across continents negate the overseas thing in the new world? I notice Trinidad is a North American, Caribbean island with one of those little strait crossings into South America. If I were to plunk my republic down there, would I be able to settle both North and South America without having my provinces turn into colonial nations?

Yeah, that should work. Straits count for the purposes of a land connection to your capital for determining distant overseas provinces, so as long as you expand your South American provinces outward from the province connected to Trinidad you should be good to go.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What happens if I get elected as HRE emperor before turning Holland into the Netherlands? Will I just lose the emperorship once I switch or will it prevent me from flipping? Trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to try and befriend a couple more electors just for some slightly easier expansion for a little bit before I get to Admin 10.

e: Wait nevermind, for some reason I thought the Netherlands is a merchant republic and would flip me to that from my monarchy. I'm assuming it'll be fine then.

OneTwentySix posted:

So, uh, I did a thing.

drat that's pretty impressive, would love to hear about how you pulled it off. Did you just manage to get the second-to-last HRE reform passed super early and then go to war with everyone?

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 19, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

The mainland (Indochina) is a bit of a thunderdome and any of the decent-sized nations would be an interesting start, lots of pretty good NI sets. Ayutthaya has an achievement for uniting all of Indochina.

There are a ton of good options in the islands, too. I think consensus is Pasai is the strongest and easiest to form Malaya, but you have Hindu and Animist nations which can be interesting playthroughs too. Ternate and Tidore are deceptively strong OPM starts.

One thing to keep in mind is there are a ton of different religions in the region. Religious decisions aren't lost when you convert, so you can easily switch religions to whichever one you desire and accumulate a few nice bonuses along the way.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Koramei posted:

Ming doesn't collapse much these days. They really need to be treated as an entity different from normal nations in the game, more akin to the HRE. Most of the region's history was states on China's periphery well aware they were in its shadow, and figuring out ways to work around that.

Judging by the statistics they published a little while ago I'm guessing there isn't the playerbase to justify them fleshing China out properly, but I'm still gonna be pretty disheartened if they just slap on a gimmick à la the American empires (although those gimmicks admittedly work great for those particular teams) and call it a day.

e: oh yeah to answer your question.. Southeast Asian? You mentioned Japan so I'm gonna guess you meant East Asia in general, in which case Japan is pretty much the most interesting. One of the Jurchens (Haixi, Jianzhou etc) can be fun too but might be pretty hard with Ming as it is now. For Southeast Asia, Ayutthaya and Majapahit were both fun.

What statistics?

Playing Spain instead. Haven't in a very long time. No Grenada cores off the bat now. Guess I just write that MP off now. :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If you start in Africa (Ethiopia) and block off, with a vassal, connections to Asia (the SW tip of the Arab Peninsula, and the two provinces where the Suez Canal can be built) will everything beyond that be considered distant overseas?

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Node posted:

If you start in Africa (Ethiopia) and block off, with a vassal, connections to Asia (the SW tip of the Arab Peninsula, and the two provinces where the Suez Canal can be built) will everything beyond that be considered distant overseas?

Not sure where the exact provinces are up in Egypt, but yes. I got the whole arabian peninsula that way on a recent African game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Deport The Irish posted:

Not sure where the exact provinces are up in Egypt, but yes. I got the whole arabian peninsula that way on a recent African game.

:q:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

Yes. And people keep saying vassal, but it doesn't have to be, having it be a vassal is just convenient for military access purposes. In my near-finished Ottomans game I just left the Mamluks alive with two provinces in the Sinai to cut myself off from Egypt while I cored it all. Then I took those two provinces, thus connecting the valuable lands in Egypt, while leaving a new gap in front of Ethiopia and at Benghazi, etc.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Node posted:

The Mamluks are chumps, the Ottomans will always attack them and it's very easy to dogpile them when that happens. You used to be able to beat the Ottomans to Jerusalem even but I'm not sure how that shakes out post-CS. Plus, if you play the contact with the Portuguese right they'll give you a baller army bonus for ten years that makes the Mamluks even less capable of fighting back. After that, yeah, Austria and Poland are good buddies to have and not too hard to ally with once you have a Mediterranean coast. Religious seems like a no brainer but I have generally found that your religious situation is not as dangerous as it looks, so I like to go Exploration first and then Humanism. Starting with Exploration is expensive but worth it to get to South Africa and probably roll gold on a few colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Node posted:

You gotta tell us how you got there. At this point I won't be surprised if you started as Chimu, got elected emperor, and passed all the reforms before the Reformation.

I made a post back here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=127090#post448905601 about how I became HRE using Protestant Ottomans, and this is just how that ended. Declare war, peace out and core allies one by one, repeat. I didn't have to do much declaring on allies to shorten timers or anything, but keep in mind who you declare on since they'll be cheaper in dip to take. I cancelled Persia's march status well in advance of annexing them, since they get a -100 penalty that takes a long time to wear off. With Ming, it is absolutely critical to get there as soon as possible - they're not going to be far behind in tech, and once they get L4 forts, it becomes a huge mess; you can't siege 20 L4 forts in a timely fashion. Always prioritize taking forts in peace deals; I think this is what lead to my army tradition dropping so much with that bug, since at one point most of my enemies were mostly capitals with no fort.

I did very little conquering after getting the last 20% admin efficiency since I already had just about everyone, so while you have to rush, you don't have to rush too much; if the game is going well, it probably won't be down to the wire, so long as you're taking Ming's forts. It really helped to release Ming's nations, since you end up getting 25% war cost for 100% overextension, and once the truce timer wears off, you can snipe most of them in a single war with no allies.

A few points:

Joining the HRE saves you something like 100 years of very heavy conquering, I'd guess, and major coalition trouble. There's a point where no one will join a coalition against you, but until that point is reached, coalitions are trouble. That said, prioritize getting IA for revoking the privilegia (it helps to release lots of HRE member-states, especially if you release them as OPMs) - once you do that, no one but Ming can stand in your way, and Ming's only because by the time Europe marches over, the war is over. Try to declare a war in Europe before one in Asia if you can, so they'll stay where they can actually help. I have to stress, be absolutely sure you have a male ruler when you do the 30 years war; females can't be emperor without special conditions that probably won't exist. There's a really good event that ends a regency and puts a great female ruler on the throne, so don't take her if you suspect she might be alive by then.

It can help a lot to vassal feed HRE members. Return a province to an extinct country near your enemy or else release a whole vassal (after adding those provinces to the HRE) - do the first before revoking, and either after - I returned a province of Armenia and fed them the +core cost Georgian provinces and they came over when I clicked the last reform. Brittany, Galicia, Navarra, etc. are all really good for this - in war, you're generally more limited by OE than anything else, so feed away - it also saves you the admin, though this isn't that important for parts of the game - I was still buying techs way in advance a lot of times. Try to snake countries through Poland and Lithuania so they can help core Russia, too. Just be careful you don't put them at too high OE; Pomerania never recovered and spent 150+ years at -3 stability and never cored their provinces.

Colonial Nations can be a huge pain; you do not want them breaking free. I was able to stop independence wars from Spain, Portugal, and France, but not England, so I had to beat USA and Louisiana. As you tear down a country and make them landlocked, the CNs are more likely to declare. It is REALLY helpful to find a way to declare war on them and then sieging down their capital; this stops their ticking war score and may force them to white peace. The main problem with this is that you often have a truce timer with the CNs from your wars with their mother country, so you might need to get creative. I never had to truce break, except after only the USA was left, for what that's worth.

You definitely want Expansion, and you want to abuse the crap out of it before Asia westernizes - you can take far more provinces each peace deal, or get shorter truce timers. I never had to go over 110 OE, and probably didn't have to go over 100 except by bad math on my part. Set popups to warn you when they start - I thought I had, but I must not have and didn't fix it because I only got these messages when Hungary tried five or six times to westernize before I finished feeding them to my vassals. Exploration sounds nice, but you never really need it - you don't really colonize much because it takes 600 days for a colonist to get to the spice islands, though I guess you could move your capital to somewhere closer.

But yeah, the hardest part is becoming Protestant without wasting too much time, avoiding coalitions in the early-mid game, and then getting IA. Once you revoke (~1600, +/- 25 years), you're set, since you don't need to worry about AE or wars, just planning and truce timers. If the AI is able to pass more than one reform before the Reformation starts, you're in really good shape. It's not easy - it took me dozens of short playthroughs, one that ended near the 30 Years War, and another that ended at 1716 when I saw that Ming would take too long with their millions of forts, but it is pretty fun and there were only a handful of times when I felt like it was a chore. The fort mechanics really, really improve the game, though it's really ironic in that I had 800 maintenance in forts by the end and mostly I just cared about them for the bonus to army tradition (.5 or so; no sense keeping them upgraded!)

• Locked thread