Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Onmi posted:

I thought the radiation that was killing them came from their sun, which the C'Tan found tasty because they eat Radiation.

Yup. They just ate the stars radiation because that's how they evolved. The Necron's had already decided they wanted to kill ALL life because their own was so poo poo, and decided to harness the C'Tan for that purpose. Which lead to some pretty awesome poo poo.

This is sort of true, the C'Tan ate energy and stars were the easiest source to ancient gas beings, there's a lot of conflicting sources on how the Necrontyr met the C'Tan, but it occurs after the first war in heaven against the Old Ones who wouldn't share their immortality with the Necrontyr who were obsessed with their own death and mortality to the point that they considered life to merely be a prelude to death. Old Necron lore suggests that their star was being eaten by a C'Tan and that was loving with it's radiation, new lore hasn't got much to say about that but does say the C'Tan contacted them first and used the Necrons to get them access to a tastier source of energy, living people. What has always been true is that the first C'Tan to be manifested in a solid form was the Nightbringer and that's when he did the aforementioned horrify all of life down to single cell organisms.

Basically the Necrontyr are depressed jerks, the Old Ones are smug jerks and the C'Tan are hungry jerks, so the universe of Warhammer 40k was boned from the beginning as these were the first 3 sentient beings; C'Tan then Old Ones then Necrontyr, and none of them are the sort of civilisation to help younger ones out of choice but are far more likely to do so out of necessity or spite.

RickVoid posted:

There is one that we know of still alive, Lore-wise. A post WWIII Not-Yet-Emperor-Of-Man defeated a Space Dragon and imprisoned it on Mars. He's actually farily well-known but all but a few who know its name know the truth.

They call it Omnissiah.

That might just be a shard of the Void Dragon, and there's a second one who is probably still alive if only because the lore didn't mention any changes to his story. The Outsider was locked away by the Eldar before the second War in Heaven ended and is weird because when he ate other C'Tan he started gaining their personalities. It's also highly likely that the Deceiver saw the Necron betrayal coming and hid before it occurred, so of the ones I've named only the Nightbringer is 100% dead, and because of the nature of C'Tan if you get enough shards of the same type in one place they start rebuilding so the C'Tan could definitely come back if the Necrons aren't careful

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is sort of true, the C'Tan ate energy and stars were the easiest source to ancient gas beings, there's a lot of conflicting sources on how the Necrontyr met the C'Tan, but it occurs after the first war in heaven against the Old Ones who wouldn't share their immortality with the Necrontyr who were obsessed with their own death and mortality to the point that they considered life to merely be a prelude to death. Old Necron lore suggests that their star was being eaten by a C'Tan and that was loving with it's radiation, new lore hasn't got much to say about that but does say the C'Tan contacted them first and used the Necrons to get them access to a tastier source of energy, living people. What has always been true is that the first C'Tan to be manifested in a solid form was the Nightbringer and that's when he did the aforementioned horrify all of life down to single cell organisms.

Basically the Necrontyr are depressed jerks, the Old Ones are smug jerks and the C'Tan are hungry jerks, so the universe of Warhammer 40k was boned from the beginning as these were the first 3 sentient beings; C'Tan then Old Ones then Necrontyr, and none of them are the sort of civilisation to help younger ones out of choice but are far more likely to do so out of necessity or spite.

the funny thing is the Old Ones DID gently caress with a lot of other species They were incredibly potent psykers (especially since the Warp was calm back in those days), had access to the Webway (and may have built or discovered and expanded it), and had supremely advanced genetic engineering techniques. They created the Eldar, Krork (likely the ancestors of modern Orks), the earliest ape ancestors of humans, Jokaero, the Hrud, the Rashan, the K'nib, and many others; some of these were created solely as warrior-races, whereas many (like the human predecessors) were created merely as part of planetary ecosystems, or maybe just for shits and giggles. They were also immortal, a gift they seem to have given in some form to some of their creations.

The Necrontyr's main beef with the Old Ones was, well other than hating all life and sucking poo poo at the whole "Kill all life" plan they had going, was the Old Ones hadn't given THEM any Immortality. Of course this all wound up going badly for the Old Ones, as when the Necrons hosed off, the Orks started beating them up due to having nothing left to fight due to the Eldar going "gently caress THIS!" and getting the hell out of dodge. They also decided "gently caress This" literally and repopulated the entire galaxy by breeding like depraved horny rabbits.

Then due to all the war, the realm of souls was utterly skull hosed and lead to the creation of the Warp, though still not completely hosed up (that would happen when the Eldar engaged in one too many orgies and literally hosed a God into existence while simultaneously loving a hole in reality.) This caused the Demons to appear, who ALSO started beating the poo poo out of the Old Ones. As TEHATTS said

quote:

" It's like some complete asswipes suddenly invaded an old folk's home, demolished all of their belongings, and subjected all old people to summary executions. And then another completely unrelated group came along and did the exact same thing all over again."

Also just for everyone wondering, this current 10,000 year war going on that forms this setting? this is a minor spat compared to the Necron/Old One/Eldar/Ork MESS that hosed up the realm of soul. This is barely a blip on the universes radar for "poo poo that has ruined everything."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Most of those races were made because of the war in heaven, before it there were Old Ones, Eldar, Necronty and C'Tan, everything else happens after. Also the new lore says that the first war in heaven went really bad for the Necrontyr, who started it not because they hated all life but because the Triarch, rulers of all the Necron Dynasties, needed a common foe to stop all the infighting and decided those immortal dicks who refused to share were a good target. This backfires spectacularly for them and they get beaten back across the galaxy to their original really lovely planet, which the Old Ones don't ever let them leave. This gives the Necrontyr plenty of time to really get good at hating all life because so far everything about life has been really poo poo to them, imagine if the entire universe decided gently caress these people in particular, they get so good at hating all life that it actually catches the attention of a being nearly as old as the universe itself, The C'Tan known as The Nightbringer who also hates all life for nebulous reasons.

More importantly after giving the C'Tan physical forms and getting their souls removed by becoming skeleton terminators the Necrons came back and kicked the Old Ones butts all over the galaxy until they actually killed almost all of them. The Eldar actually survive this genocide because they* breed like loving rabbits compared to the Old Ones and are definitely a lot better at actually fighting physically because the Old Ones are fat toad men who use psychic powers for just about everything. Eventually Szarekh the Silent King of the Necrons decided that the C'Tan had collectively hosed his people over and made them little better than slaves and so sent out a command to turn on them, which leads to the shards and such, and then left the galaxy in shame over leading his people into a very specific kind of ruin.

The war in heaven is the reason the warp sucks poo poo but it was very much because the Old Ones only real claim to fame was mastery of the warp, their technology was actually way worse than the Necrontyr because they didn't really need it but the Necrontyr who had no warp presence really really did. Basically everything bad about the universe is directly or indirectly the fault of the Old Ones, and the only problem the current galaxy faces isn't their fault is the Tyranids and those might also be a new species made by the Old Ones who fled the galaxy to restart the whole thing.

*Edit: here I had suggested the Eldar built the Webway and then went to check it and found out I was way wrong, I have given a better more logical explanation to the Eldar survival.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 18, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Or, since the Tyrannids are apparently fleeing something, the Old Ones made something WORSE than the 'Nids, thus the Hive Fleet expeditions.

As for how tiny the Tau Empire actually is - there are more ELDAR than Tau citizens.

And GW have a long and terrible history of giving terrible alt-names to organisations, it's not just the Guard.
Adeptus Sororitas (aka sisters of Battle) comes to mind.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Veloxyll posted:

As for how tiny the Tau Empire actually is - there are more ELDAR than Tau citizens.

Be damned if I could remember from where exactly, but there is one account of a Tau who found out the population of a minor Imperial hive world. and he practically shat himself when he realized there's more people on that world than there are in the whole Empire.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Aren't the Tau also screwed in expansion by their lack of Warp travel?!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Aren't the Tau also screwed in expansion by their lack of Warp travel?!

Yeah, their FTL is more reliable because it doesn't rely on the daemon infested dimension that is the Warp and just skips off of it, but its much slower as a consequence.

And during one of the official GW campaigns, they set up an observation post near a planet that was about to be swallowed by a Warp Storm to investigate the phenomena and see if it could be harnessed for the Greater Good. The Ethereal and Earth Caste dudes studying the thing promptly NOPE'd the gently caress out and decided that it was safer to just not mess around in the Warp at all and stick with their old FTL method instead...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 18, 2015

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
At some point you should really show off just how ridiculous the Fire Warrior Bodyguard range really is.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, their FTL is more reliable because it doesn't rely on the daemon infested dimension that is the Warp and just skips off of it, but its much slower as a consequence.

And during one of the official GW campaigns, they set up an observation post near a planet that was about to be swallowed by a Warp Storm to investigate the phenomena and see if it could be harnessed for the Greater Good. The Ethereal and Earth Caste dudes studying the thing promptly NOPE'd the gently caress out and decided that it was safer to just not play around in the Warp at all and stick with their old FTL method instead...

Something I will forever love is the fact that a lot of people look at the movie Event Horizon as an unofficial account of mankind's first encounter with the Warp.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

MadHat posted:

At some point you should really show off just how ridiculous the Fire Warrior Bodyguard range really is.

This. Fire Warrior Bodyguards are insane and can tear apart any infantry unit in the game (and some vehicles, even!) if they have a decent LOS.

On a related note, you should go for the Peaks because that's a really fun tactical mission to play. There's nothing quite like it in the rest of the game and it's great.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Something I will forever love is the fact that a lot of people look at the movie Event Horizon as an unofficial account of mankind's first encounter with the Warp.

The only thing that would've made that movie better is if there was a survivor named Gellar or the like :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MadHat posted:

It's too hard to do with screen shots. The awkward camera and copious amount of fog war kind of prevents it--their range is THAT ridiculous. I'll save it for when I get around to doing up some videos.

Thread Votes posted:

Hyperion Peaks

Uuuuugh, this should be interesting. I'd rather fight any other race in the peaks than the Orkz since they spawn so fast. Also, the Tau being squishy and not having the same sort of massive Relic-based unit that other species have makes it additionally difficult.

Now, a couple'a Bane Blades...

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
No joke...I had to do this against the orks as the Tau...so I know your pain.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GhostStalker posted:

And during one of the official GW campaigns, they set up an observation post near a planet that was about to be swallowed by a Warp Storm to investigate the phenomena and see if it could be harnessed for the Greater Good. The Ethereal and Earth Caste dudes studying the thing promptly NOPE'd the gently caress out and decided that it was safer to just not mess around in the Warp at all and stick with their old FTL method instead...

It's the fifth most reliable and safe FTL and the second slowest from what I remember. There are only 3 races spread over 4 or so factions who don't need the warp to FTL, both Eldar flavours use the Webway which is sort of like a halfway point between real space and the warp and Necrons can sneak in but they also have traditional FTL travel that's powered by stars or some other such nonsense, the other race that doesn't use the Warp is the Tyranids who have a living ship that is tiny and uses special senses to latch onto the gravity field of stars over extreme distances and then create gravity wells so that the Tyranid fleets just sort of fall at the systems from excessive distances this of course does a whole loving lot of damage to planets in the system and is as much a weapon as a mode of transport.

The Tau technically speaking work like throwing a stone over water, it still connects but doesn't do so for long and as long as it's shaped right won't sink into it until it gets where you want it to, and as such they still need the warp to achieve FTL. Every other race or faction has to go through the warp and deal with all the crap that doing so entails.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

Uuuuugh, this should be interesting. I'd rather fight any other race in the peaks than the Orkz since they spawn so fast. Also, the Tau being squishy and not having the same sort of massive Relic-based unit that other species have makes it additionally difficult.
Now, a couple'a Bane Blades...
Yeah, this one is bad. You point your relic chicken at the orkz and they pull out forks and knives. That's probably the only map in the game that gets easier when you let the Necrons take it.
On a side note, I'm really appreciating the timing of the screenshots. I never realized how hilarious units look mid-jump for example.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 18, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

anilEhilated posted:

On a side note, I'm really appreciating the timing of the screenshots. I never realized how hilarious units look mid-jump for example.

I'm really pleased with how they've been turning out. So far "Randy Bo-Bandy Thule-y Bo-Booley" and "Kroot Hound Eats Farseer Taldeer's Throat" are my favourites.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Heaven Spacey posted:

I'm pretty sure the state of the galaxy as it is right now is the win state for both Orks and Chaos. Maybe even Nids too, if they can't cannibalize.

Nids are probably finding the they hate this poo poo universe and they want to leave ever since one of the tendrils got stuck in an area of space thats mostly infested Orks. While the Orks don't really like fighting Nids since they dont produce much loot when killed, it's still better than fighting each other. Orks love a good fight so the longer the Nids and Orks fight the more and more Orks start coming in and the ones already there will just keep growing and growing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Iretep posted:

Nids are probably finding the they hate this poo poo universe and they want to leave ever since one of the tendrils got stuck in an area of space thats mostly infested Orks. While the Orks don't really like fighting Nids since they dont produce much loot when killed, it's still better than fighting each other. Orks love a good fight so the longer the Nids and Orks fight the more and more Orks start coming in and the ones already there will just keep growing and growing.

Who was the inquisitor who had that idea. Because it's the best idea he ever had. "Wait a minute... fighting the Tyranids is stupid, they'll just be endlessly killing us all... and the Orks... well I mean you can't really get rid of them, and they're just looking for war... Oh. Oh I just had a loving marvelous idea."

It's just the best because "You haven't solved anything, they're just locked in perpetual loving war." "Great! It's like everything else in this loving galaxy."

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Onmi posted:

Who was the inquisitor who had that idea. Because it's the best idea he ever had. "Wait a minute... fighting the Tyranids is stupid, they'll just be endlessly killing us all... and the Orks... well I mean you can't really get rid of them, and they're just looking for war... Oh. Oh I just had a loving marvelous idea."

It's just the best because "You haven't solved anything, they're just locked in perpetual loving war." "Great! It's like everything else in this loving galaxy."

That's Inquisitor Kryptman's gambit. One of the first members of the Ordo Xenos to recognize the threat of the Nids, he used a Deathwatch squad to capture a bunch of genestealers, put them in suspended animation on a Space Hulk, blow up a moon to send said Space Hulk into the Ork held world of Octarius, then the 'stealers infested the Orks and called down the Hive Fleet.

He underestimated the two xeno races though. Now the Nids are gorging on all the delicious Ork biomass and more and more Orks are streaming to the planet since the foightin's so good there, feeding a massive WAAAAAAAAAAGH! and making their warbosses and Nobs massive due to the increasing WAAAAGH! Whoever wins, it's gonna be a bad time for the Imperium once the victor moves on...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 18, 2015

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Really this is only the win condition for at best 2 of the Chaos gods as far as I can think and the Orks. Honestly the Tyranids are having a really bad time because they're an intergalactic predator that has basically run into the most horrifically hard to eat prey ever, and if they are in fact running from something else this is bogging them down and eventually the thing they're running from will catch up and then they're right proper hosed. If they aren't running from something the entire endeavour has used up a poo poo-ton of biomass and time that they will never ever get back so whilst they're not losing any time soon they also aren't anywhere close to winning.

As far as the Chaos gods go only Khorne and Tzeentch are winning at this point due to the way they work, that isn't to say the current state of the galaxy isn't great for all 4 but it's particularly good for those 2. Basically Chaos Gods are powered by emotions with each one being defined by a particular one extremely strongly, they are respectively; Slaanesh and love, Khorne and Hatred, Tzeentch and Hope, Nurgle and Despair. Each of them is empowered by that emotion most strongly but tend to get associated stuff which empowers them as well, which is why Slaanesh is a god(dess) of sensation and lust, Khorne is a god of war and honour, Tzeentch is a god of change and sorcery, and Nurgle is a god of acceptance and disease.

When we beat chaos I'll probably get into a big stupid post about why this is all really silly and amazing.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

MEANWHILE, IN AN UNIVERSE WHERE DECENCY AND RIGHTEOUSNESS PREVAILS

gently caress SPESS MEHREENS, that stronghold was a loving slog on Hard. Basically was just me creeping up with an assassin and then Earthsaker round the gently caress out of any defenses before sending my footsloggers in. Slow and steady boys, slow and steady.

The Necrons got their hands on the Space Port and then promptly stomped the Eldar because gently caress the Eldar I guess. I of course then swooped in to claim the port for myself and then took the neighboring province so now those metal assholes are stuck there and stuck good :smugdog:.

The Orks and Chaos are content to just sit around I guess and the Tau have just been a loving miserable failure this entire campaign AS THEY SHOULD BE. I'm coming for you you blue frilly fish xeno fucks :argh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HerraS posted:

gently caress SPESS MEHREENS, that stronghold was a loving slog on Hard. Basically was just me creeping up with an assassin and then Earthsaker round the gently caress out of any defenses before sending my footsloggers in. Slow and steady boys, slow and steady.

Honestly, I don't know how else you're supposed to play the IG.

GhostStalker posted:

He underestimated the two xeno races though. Now the Nids are gorging on all the delicious Ork biomass and more and more Orks are streaming to the planet since the foightin's so good there, feeding a massive WAAAAAAAAAAGH! and making their warbosses and Nobs massive. Whoever wins, it's gonna be a bad time for the Imperium once the victor moves on...

Not only that, but he got excommunicated because in order to redirect the 'Nids, he sanctioned Exterminatus on a load of otherwise regular Imperial worlds. That last bit though, I can actually forgive him- the bugs heading that way were unstoppable, and all those worlds would've done is provide the Hive Fleet with biomass. And I can kind of understand why he redirected them as well- the Imperium would need breathing room on that front to rebuild and prepare.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kryptman's gamble would've worked in any other setting, in this one it just makes the eventual problem worse but makes the immediate situation way way better. His excommunication did basically nothing too because he'd already hosed off to find a more permanent solution through methods that the Imperium would find unsavoury. Even more impressive is said gamble occurred after his excommunication, which was not for the gamble but for virus bombing every planet the Tyranids landed on which made them waste a whole lot of biomass but in return was the greatest act of genocide a human has committed against his fellow humans since the Horus Heresy.

The gamble was actually abducting a gene-stealer cult and using explosives to drop them into the ork empire of Octarius to distract the Hive Fleet Leviathan. Which did in fact work but will leave a huge mess to clean up after the war ends. The most impressive thing is why Leviathan needed to be stopped so badly, before Leviathan the Tyranid fleets had all come from the galactic eastern fringe which is basically the other side of the galaxy from Holy Terra, Leviathan was showing up deep in imperial territory with no way for them to have come through the galaxy which was freaking the poo poo out of everyone. They then realised that Hive Fleet Leviathan was flanking the entire galaxy and coming from what would traditionally be considered beneath. This is important because nearly every hive fleet that has made it to the galaxy has made a loving mad charge in the direction of Holy Terra because the Astronomicon, the giant lighthouse powered by the emperor and the sacrifice of 1000s of imperial psykers every day, is a giant all you can eat buffet sign to the Hive Mind of the Tyranid.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

gently caress

HYPERION

PEAAAAAAAAAAAAAKS

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Shas'el, one of the cadets have been found doing something counter productive to the Greater Good.
Oh, have they, now? Speak up! What's the problem?
They've been writing fan fiction. Fan fiction about the Imperial Guard winning the Dark Crusade.
Whaddaya mean? Lemme see that--

Looks alright to me.
B-but, Shas'el!
Don't punish Shas'la Herr'as. In fact, give them a reward for such an accurate and flattering depiction of the Imperial Guard. Double rations, and a litre of space whiskey!

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Despite my complete lack of skill at RTS games, Dark Crusade is still a favorite of mine. I never played much Tau, mainly due to their lack of permanent defensive emplacements and having to choose between two separate tech paths, a decision that always takes me far longer than necessary. I have always been more of a Necron fan, partially because of their heavy stopping power and partially because I really like that they are undead skeleton robots.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
w/r/t Tau Tech paths: when in doubt, go Kauyon. The added upgrades at the Path of Enlightenment make the Fire Warriors some of the best Heavy Infantry in the entire game. You lose out on the Crisis Suits, but that's totally okay, since you're gonna wanna spend your Squad Cap on Fire Warriors and Kroot Hounds almost exclusively. Losing out on Hammerhead Gunships is a bit of a blow, so you're gonna want to spend your Vehicle Cap on Drone Squad swarms and Krootox--Greater Knarloc, too, if the map has a Relic.

To be honest, I rarely use the Mont'ka path in my own experience. If a Crisis Suit takes too much damage, you basically need to just delete or suicide the unit since it's infantry and can't be "repaired". Also, their health is much too large to be worth waiting for them to heal. At least Hammerheads you can repair, but I don't find them worth it when compared to the option of having THE BEST Fire Warrior upgrades and Kroot Hounds and Krootox.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

w/r/t Tau Tech paths: when in doubt, go Kauyon. The added upgrades at the Path of Enlightenment make the Fire Warriors some of the best Heavy Infantry in the entire game. You lose out on the Crisis Suits, but that's totally okay, since you're gonna wanna spend your Squad Cap on Fire Warriors and Kroot Hounds almost exclusively. Losing out on Hammerhead Gunships is a bit of a blow, so you're gonna want to spend your Vehicle Cap on Drone Squad swarms and Krootox--Greater Knarloc, too, if the map has a Relic.

To be honest, I rarely use the Mont'ka path in my own experience. If a Crisis Suit takes too much damage, you basically need to just delete or suicide the unit since it's infantry and can't be "repaired". Also, their health is much too large to be worth waiting for them to heal. At least Hammerheads you can repair, but I don't find them worth it when compared to the option of having THE BEST Fire Warrior upgrades and Kroot Hounds and Krootox.

I just went with the shiny, and drat the consequences. Hammerheads and Crisis Suits were just too much shiny for me to give up. The Fire Warrior upgrades you get from Kauyon are pretty boss though.

Never really used Drone Swarms or the Kroot variants, maybe I should get back into this game and try them out. The Drone Swarms look pretty useful from the way you're showing them off. Used to play a lot of LAN multiplayer comp-stomps as Tau or IG with my friends in our college a couple years back, but we all moved on to DoWII. Another of my friends who played Tau swore by Kauyon, but as I said, I liked the shiny more.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Strike the Necrons where they are most vulnerable. I am sorry for doubting the commander's deployment, as reviewing the combat footage really does show the stealth suits at every step. Requesting reassignment to the Water Caste for my failure.

(The Water Caste is the Tau diplomatic service which is exactly as hilarious in 40k as it sounds) (would have included a diplomatic corps division joke but it turns out that term only applies to the diplomatic mission to specific countries)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

habituallyred posted:

(The Water Caste is the Tau diplomatic service which is exactly as hilarious in 40k as it sounds) (would have included a diplomatic corps division joke but it turns out that term only applies to the diplomatic mission to specific countries)

The Water Caste is also the Tau trading and merchant caste, which makes them less useless than you would think. And the Tau diplomats of the Water Caste have been successful in converting Imperial worlds before, so you shouldn't knock them too much...

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Considering how dumb youd have to be to join the Tau, it is pretty impressive that they have managed to get worlds to join them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Join the Greater Good and get a free cookie.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Iretep posted:

Considering how dumb youd have to be to join the Tau, it is pretty impressive that they have managed to get worlds to join them.

Free health care and rombas, man. Rombas with guns.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
EDIT: actually, that Tau meme kind of stinks. I'm replacing it with some sweet Tau recruitment posters I found:

Sally fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 18, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I spent a chunk of last night scouring the internet for Warhammer 40k memes. There are a lot of them and they are pretty funny! There is also a tonne of weird hypersexualized stuff and I hate it. There is a LOT of Tau Fire Warriors in bikinis.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

I spent a chunk of last night scouring the internet for Warhammer 40k memes. There are a lot of them and they are pretty funny! There is also a tonne of weird hypersexualized stuff and I hate it. There is a LOT of Tau Fire Warriors in bikinis.

Blame /tg/ and 1d4chan. Some of their most popular Tau characters that drawfags drew back then were known as Faptau and Shlicktau, for obvious reasons. One was male and the other female, and you can pretty much go from there...

But when the memes are good, they're really good.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Iretep posted:

Considering how dumb youd have to be to join the Tau

Beats loving Imperium, which is literally the only other option
Then again I'm not the lore master, but I'm struggling to imagine why joining Tau is bad

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who grasps the situation and is sane in the 40k universe has eaten their gun already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

goatface posted:

Anyone who grasps the situation and is sane in the 40k universe has eaten their gun already.

That's correct. Look at this

Those huge tentacles of size comparable with entire galaxy, if you don't know, are Tyranids encroaching on the system
So everything's kind of proper hosed

• Locked thread