Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Mr Poopy Butthole is a fake memory and a fraud, but not a parasite.

You'll see in episode 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say the Unity episode was pretty substandard. At least for this show. But substandard for this show is still streets ahead of pretty much any other comedy on TV at the moment.
It was definitely lighter on the jokes, but man. The cut to the stadium full of redheads and every man who even vaguely looks like his father cheering him on is masterful. I don't think any other show currently makes me laugh as hard. "First race war, huh?"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I would rank the unity episode above the mr poopybutthole one.

This one was good, but felt almost like a clip show.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
R&M is excellent, but it's a bit irritating to read "this is the best show on TV by far" about so many different shows.

There's a lot of good TV out there; it's not just Your Favorite Show and a hundred clones of Three's Company.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mr. Poopy Butthole was an amazing character and I'm thinking about dropping this show because of how the writers fridged him just to give Beth some extra pathos.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Rick and Morty pretty undisputedly is the best adult-oriented animated comedy on TV right now, I see no need to extend this descriptor to "best show on TV" in general. In terms of its niche it's the best at what it does.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Rick and Morty pretty undisputedly is the best adult-oriented animated comedy on TV right now, I see no need to extend this descriptor to "best show on TV" in general. In terms of its niche it's the best at what it does.
Venture Bros

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Venture Bros
"On TV right now"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jerry'd again

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JT Jag posted:

"On TV right now"

I enjoy Rick and Morty way more than VB despite Doc & Jackson taking 3 years to make a season because they're hand-carving each frame as a woodcut one at a time or whatever it is they do.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

JT Jag posted:

"On TV ever"

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Rick and Morty pretty undisputedly is the best adult-oriented animated comedy on TV right now

Though maybe not strictly a comedy, BoJack Horseman.

My complaint was more general though. There's tons of great shows out there.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Whiz Palace posted:

Though maybe not strictly a comedy, BoJack Horseman.
On TV right now

My statement is loving bulletproof

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"On TV" is the only qualifier you need, thanks :colbert:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is there a preview for next week?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Brocktoon posted:

Here's one:

A bunch of people who think that TV is a battle of wits between shows and viewers will attempt to overanalyze and overexplain everything until no comedy can exist. TV Tropes will be linked. They will then attempt to reinject comedy into the proceedings by trying to post in the voices of the characters with disastrous results.

Sorry about the spoilers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

Here's one:

A bunch of people who think that TV is a battle of wits between shows and viewers will attempt to overanalyze and overexplain everything until no comedy can exist. TV Tropes will be linked. They will then attempt to reinject comedy into the proceedings by trying to post in the voices of the characters with disastrous results.

:drat:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

ALFbrot posted:

Here's one:

Aw, I've already seen that one... :smith:

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
Are we really comparing analyzing a TV show to making TV Tropes-like lists of things that appear in any form of media?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ALFbrot posted:

Here's one:

I don't get why you guys are so annoyed that people are discussing a TV show we like in a thread dedicated to that TV show. People are just expressing how they understood the show, what's wrong with that? Also I think the writing people are doing is pretty fun and funny. If you don't want to talk about the show maybe you shouldn't seek out a thread about it?

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
The plot from this episode is an almost exact copy of the Torchwood episode "Adam" in which the titular character is presented to the audience as a member of the cast who has been there all along, and he's everybody's best friend. Only people who are familiar with the show would notice the change. Like in this episode, he is an alien memory parasite. I like how R&M took the same premise and expanded it 10000% and used it as a vehicle for hilarious vignettes.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

On rewatch, apparently a floating ethereal head appears above Earth, booming out "Show me what you got!" and causing all sorts of natural disasters until the planet can prove it can produce a hit song. Rick is shown performing a song with Morty (on synth and tambourine) while one of Rick's lines is "ohhhhhh yeahhhhh, you gotta get schwifty, heyyyyyyy, take your pants off, its schwifty time today". I think Keith David is back as the president also

Edit: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB5aVxulTk

VV How dare you, sir.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 18, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Escape Addict posted:

The plot from this episode is an almost exact copy of the Torchwood

R&M once again ripping off a superior science fiction television series.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

a shameful boehner posted:

On rewatch, apparently a floating ethereal head appears above Earth, booming out "Show me what you got!" and causing all sorts of natural disasters until the planet can prove it can produce a hit song. Rick is shown performing a song with Morty (on synth and tambourine) while one of Rick's lines is "get schwifty". I think Keith David is back as the president also

Edit: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB5aVxulTk

LOL

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

More Keith David = A good thing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

One of the parasites was a mushroom wearing a sweater. That's two penis idioms in one!

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
How did Mr. Poopy Butthole get his name?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Douk Douk posted:

It's Mr. Pupebutteholl.
Great-Grandparents were Danish Immigrants.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I was really impressed with how many vaginas they snuck into Mortynight Run. Real dedication.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Beth's shaking hands as she pours a glass really sold the scene for me for some raisin.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Douk Douk posted:

The show's writers threw out some possibilities like Mr. Pissy Dickpants, Ms. Tuna Vagina, Colo-rectal Steve and then, when the Red Bull was wearing off, settled on Mr. Poopy Butthole and moved onto figuring what to name the butler guy.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
President Keith David. Please, please let it be Keith David playing Keith David so it meshes ever so slightly with Saint's Row IV.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Whiz Palace posted:

R&M is excellent, but it's a bit irritating to read "this is the best show on TV by far" about so many different shows.

There's a lot of good TV out there; it's not just Your Favorite Show and a hundred clones of Three's Company.

Just imagine every sentence ends in "in my opinion" because reality is subjective, there's no right answer and we're all going to die.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
So eventually every character in the last episode will be someone's SA name and avatar. You guys realize this right?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I want to highlight Beth's drunk fumbling of Wife/Life Coach into Wife Coach because it just highlights how every scene in this episode was on point and really drives home how Beth is clearly a Sanchez.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Did anybody else notice that Sleepy Gary broke the "positive memory" concept when he and Beth came into Summer's room while she was bouncing on the bed with flashlights and told her "we're trying to sleep?"

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I think it still works if you interpret "positive" as "whimsical" or even "saccharine". It kinda fits with how the parasites use a flashback to Rick's bizarre catchphrases to cast doubt on whether or not he's real.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

johntfs posted:

Did anybody else notice that Sleepy Gary broke the "positive memory" concept when he and Beth came into Summer's room while she was bouncing on the bed with flashlights and told her "we're trying to sleep?"

Couldn't it be Beth's memory?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Megaspel posted:

Just imagine every sentence ends in "in my opinion" because reality is subjective, there's no right answer and we're all going to die.

Yep. Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die. Come watch TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ElCondemn posted:

I don't get why you guys are so annoyed that people are discussing a TV show we like in a thread dedicated to that TV show. People are just expressing how they understood the show, what's wrong with that? Also I think the writing people are doing is pretty fun and funny. If you don't want to talk about the show maybe you shouldn't seek out a thread about it?

Because everyone is missing the point of a joke. There is a set up, and a punch line. That's it. There isn't anything to theorize or speculate about because it's purpose is to be as clear as possible. It's like if you did this with every joke...

"Hmm, well, I'm not entirely sure why a black man and a KKK member would enter a bar...they have completely different perspectives on life! Perhaps the KKK member ate a bunch of tacos and had to take a big dump?..."

it's empty, you guys.

• Locked thread