Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

PT6A posted:

The bubble here is still hosed. There's people from Vancouver buying pre-sale 1.8 mil units in Calgary, even now.

What the gently caress - does not compute. What's the incentive???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Bear trap

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Pride of ownership, duh.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Hedge your finances against softening demand of truck equities.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The RECAPITATOR posted:

The Chinese are buying Vancouver houses. Vancouverites are buying Calgary houses. Etc ..

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jm20 posted:

Hedge your finances against softening demand of truck equities.

Is there any way as a third party to profit from truck debt...

ocrumsprug posted:

The Chinese are buying Vancouver houses. Vancouverites are buying Calgary houses. Etc ..

Calgarians are buying Winni-naw, no one wants those houses.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

El Scotch posted:

Is there any way as a third party to profit from truck debt...

Third party financing, become a financier today!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

jm20 posted:

Third party financing, become a financier today!

For this to work the truck buyers will have to pay the loans back. There needs to be a way to short someone by sight only. As in you're driving down the road and you see a truck and the driver, then snap a picture of the license plate and short that truck/driver in one go. Price discovery!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Only bare related to real-estate but this empty storefront just got some amazing ads today.

I don't know what's actually going to go in, if anything, but lol.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
People still use Zip drives?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

tagesschau posted:

Somewhere, someone sees this and celebrates. They can finally take out the old zip disc they've been holding onto for years, and finish writing that Star Trek: Voyager fan fiction they started oh so long ago.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

El Scotch posted:

Somewhere, someone sees this and celebrates. They can finally take out the old zip disc they've been holding onto for years, and finish writing that Star Trek: Voyager fan fiction they started oh so long ago.

Zip disk.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Baronjutter posted:

Only bare related to real-estate but this empty storefront just got some amazing ads today.

Way to print your gigantic rear end banner with spell check underlines on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

apatheticman posted:

Way to print your gigantic rear end banner with spell check underlines on.

Man you're right they must have missed that in their attempt at serious sign making.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

tagesschau posted:

How else would you High Speed Connect to Smart Access your Digital Tax Messaging?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Baronjutter posted:

http://cn.bing.com/images/search?q=...72o0&ajaxhist=0

:catstare:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I...I have to admit that after months of "PS4 Internet Cafe" and "Google Market" (which was just a corner shop selling food, using the google logo), I did not immediately see anything wrong with this.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Pro
HelpFul

That reminds me I should go to Ferris' for dinner soon

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Baronjutter posted:

Wait, this is in Victoria? Beside Ferris'? They're probably actually going to be paying pretty high rent for that real estate.

And here I was talking with someone the other day about how I thought internet cafes no longer really exist in most of North America.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I was in Victoria this weekend. I'm always amazed at the perpetually high retail vacancies. Wtf is going on there?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lexicon posted:

I was in Victoria this weekend. I'm always amazed at the perpetually high retail vacancies. Wtf is going on there?
Everyone spent all their money and HELoC house equity on house equity.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rent is too high for mom-and-pops, and there's not enough customers for American Apparel. So they sit vacant.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lexicon posted:

They're all pot dispensaries now. I'm not joking, like every single chronically vacant retail space in the city is now a dispensary. There's about 5 within a few blocks of my apartment alone.
Also, I have no idea what's actually going into that retail space, I'm 99% sure it won't be an internet cafe.
Also also, Ferris is very good and is always good forever.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

They're all pot dispensaries now. I'm not joking, like every single chronically vacant retail space in the city is now a dispensary. There's about 5 within a few blocks of my apartment alone.
Also, I have no idea what's actually going into that retail space, I'm 99% sure it won't be an internet cafe.

The HELOC money is literally going up in smoke

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

They're all pot dispensaries now. I'm not joking, like every single chronically vacant retail space in the city is now a dispensary.

Vancouver, previously known for being the only city with more Starbucks than Tim Hortons, now also has more pot dispensaries than Tim Hortons.

Now Starbucks versus pot dispensaries, that's the new statistic we need to gather.

My only firsthand experience with it is when the Allstate Batteries store near my work became a pot dispensary. I shrugged, because I thought it was a stupid idea in the first place to use retail space to sell automotive batteries. Probably more useful after the change. I can only imagine Rona Ambrose's head exploding if she ever visited Vancouver, where you have giant pot leaf signs on street corners and neon lights enticing you to WEED WEED WEED.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 19, 2015

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to know if there's actually enough demamd to support even a fraction of these places, or if everyone's just so excited to be a respectable seller of weed that they're rushing in and there's going to be a huge crash in a year or so. I don't know what if any flexibility they have to compete on price. Does someone make some kind of coupon deal with Oregano's and clean up? Is this why there are so many new burrito places lately?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

THC posted:

Rent is too high for mom-and-pops, and there's not enough customers for American Apparel. So they sit vacant.

But, like, why the gently caress are so many landlords content to receive nothing for months or years on end, as opposed to a non-zero fraction of their ideal rental amount?

I'm clearly not smart enough to understand what it takes to be a retail landlord as this seems to be the way they all operate, at least in BC and fittingly, its capital especially so.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

less than three posted:

and neon lights enticing you to WEED WEED WEED.

perhaps they are merely avid gardeners

selling weed

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's a little bit embarrassing at this point tbh

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

less than three posted:

Vancouver, previously known for being the only city with more Starbucks than Tim Hortons, now also has more pot dispensaries than Tim Hortons.

Now Starbucks versus pot dispensaries, that's the new statistic we need to gather.

My only firsthand experience with it is when the Allstate Batteries store near my work became a pot dispensary. I shrugged, because I thought it was a stupid idea in the first place to use retail space to sell automotive batteries. Probably more useful after the change. I can only imagine Rona Ambrose's head exploding if she ever visited Vancouver, where you have giant pot leaf signs on street corners and neon lights enticing you to WEED WEED WEED.

And following the Vancouver trend that Starbucks started, that former Allstate Battery dispensary location has a second dispensary operating across the street.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
The Economist has released their liveability ranking for 2015 and it's full of this thread's favourites. I guess affordable housing is not a criteria for liveability.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Obviously the more expensive a city is to live in, the more liveable it is.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

MikeSevigny posted:

I'd love to know if there's actually enough demamd to support even a fraction of these places, or if everyone's just so excited to be a respectable seller of weed that they're rushing in and there's going to be a huge crash in a year or so. I don't know what if any flexibility they have to compete on price. Does someone make some kind of coupon deal with Oregano's and clean up? Is this why there are so many new burrito places lately?

The crash is already happening, actually, started back in June. Tons of established shops are going under right now.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Freezer posted:

The Economist has released their liveability ranking for 2015 and it's full of this thread's favourites. I guess affordable housing is not a criteria for liveability.

I wouldn't argue with Vienna, Helsinki and Zurich. As for the others...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Perth has great infrastructure as long as you don't want to go more than 5 km from downtown. You could say the same about Toronto except that rents are 40% cheaper and the city is roughly twice as dense.

Also there's a pond nearby that smells utterly foul every time it rains and it took some serious googling to find one random comment explaining that it's probably a nice algal or bacterial bloom, yummm.

You would figure that if the ranking were about quality of life if money is no object, then American cities should rank much higher. What's wrong with London anyhow?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

eXXon posted:

You would figure that if the ranking were about quality of life if money is no object, then American cities should rank much higher.

They take infrastructure, health care and education into account. :smith:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sundae posted:

They take infrastructure, health care and education into account. :smith:

Yeah, exactly. Infrastructure? NYC must have a helicopter landing pad every block. Health care? Best private hospitals in the world. Education? Best private schools in the world. All they need is more private roads.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

What's wrong with London anyhow?

No one lives there anymore.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The problem with London is that English people live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The problem with the lower mainland is lower mainlanders live there