Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I think that people forget he was an insane wild man when he first started. Basically he is now known for his acting in hundreds of lovely films that he did just for the money. It's kind of a bummer that he is a punchline now when he can still do some interesting acting.

I just chalked it up to bad agent or him just needing the money. Christopher Walken played in a lot of lovely movies too.

I loved Cage in some things though like 8mm where I thought he and Joaquin Phoenix were really underrated. Or Bringin out the Dead for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
8MM is still a pretty good if extremely 90's movie.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

I just chalked it up to bad agent or him just needing the money. Christopher Walken played in a lot of lovely movies too.

I loved Cage in some things though like 8mm where I thought he and Joaquin Phoenix were really underrated. Or Bringin out the Dead for that matter.

There was period where Christopher Walken literally never turned down a role. If you had a script and a handful of cash you could get Christopher Walken sight unseen. That's one road to becoming iconic, I suppose, just show up in everything until people can't help but know who you are.

Nicholas Cage just has severe money problems.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The above posts are true and I love me some Nic Cage (Raising Arizona and ConAir are masterpieces!). However, I have never seen Leaving Las Vegas and I am ashamed to admit it given the high praise I often hear associated with it. Should I correct that?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pahuyuth posted:

The above posts are true and I love me some Nic Cage (Raising Arizona and ConAir are masterpieces!). However, I have never seen Leaving Las Vegas and I am ashamed to admit it given the high praise I often hear associated with it. Should I correct that?

You could ask that question in a hundred different threads at a hundred different forums and the answer will always be the same.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

No you should not watch one of Nicolas cages best performances.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I like Nic Cage and I did not think Leaving Las Vegas was good at all. Cage is good, I should say, but the movie is not.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I think Cage mostly sucks and is bad and stupid, but I would put Leaving Las Vegas firmly in the "must watch" category. He's got a handful of truly good performances IMO, and I'd say it qualifies as his best.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Okay. I will watch it tonight. I've just been lazy about it. But yeah Lord of War is aces.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zesty Mordant posted:

I like Nic Cage and I did not think Leaving Las Vegas was good at all. Cage is good, I should say, but the movie is not.

I hated the movie, but Cage is absolutely fantastic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

This was great. Watch it to see that Nic Cage can still act if he wants to.

Watching Outcast right now where he does his best to prove you wrong.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's so weird to me that the "Nic Cage is SO WACKY you guys :buddy:" meme didn't really happen until after his career went into freefall and most of his roles were sleepwalking through low-budget thrillers.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Wild At Heart is also fantastic. It's like David Lynch watched Raising Arizona, and said "I can do that", and then set the world on fire with nightmare fuel.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Franchescanado posted:

Wild At Heart is also fantastic. It's like David Lynch watched Raising Arizona, and said "I can do that", and then set the world on fire with nightmare fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFIJ0vGBcXU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Another underrated Nic Cage film is The Weather Man.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Vampire's Kiss, Drive Angry(I really don't know if it's underrated but Cage and Fichtner are fantastic in it), Con Air (repeating this because it's Con Air)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

girth brooks part 2 posted:

There was period where Christopher Walken literally never turned down a role. If you had a script and a handful of cash you could get Christopher Walken sight unseen. That's one road to becoming iconic, I suppose, just show up in everything until people can't help but know who you are.

Nicholas Cage just has severe money problems.

Why can't more actors turn out like Vincent Price when they try that?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

8MM is still a pretty good if extremely 90's movie.

I have fond memories of it being really great, but I saw it when it came out and I was probably 17. I like to just remember it as a good movie, because I feel like I would pick it apart if I watched it now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The 90s remake of Hardcore could've turned out way worse. It's almost unprepossessing. It's not nearly as brash as The Usual Suspects or LA Confidential, nor is it as sleazy as Jade or Sliver.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Vampire's Kiss, Drive Angry(I really don't know if it's underrated but Cage and Fichtner are fantastic in it), Con Air (repeating this because it's Con Air)

Drive Angry is apparently the reconstituted remains of the dead Preacher film that Nicholas Cage refused to let die. If you squint and cock your head a little you can actually kind of see it.

It's a spectacle if nothing else so it's worth a watch for that.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

fishtobaskets posted:

Speaking of cool openings, I watched Once Upon a Time in the West last night (on Netflix) and was just blown away by the opening scene.

If you like the opening of Once Upon a Time In The West DEFIANTLY watch Preist there's a lot of images that mirror scenes from it. Plus it's just a great movie overall, I think.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I saw Drive Angry on blu ray 3D -- someone told me I HAD to see in 3D the scene where he gets in a gunfight while mid coitus with a prostitute.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERcz18DZH8

This is the scene that I use to sell friends on Drive Angry.

Other examples include the hammer flashback in Freaked and Jekyll doing the giant mountain of cocaine and turning into an air-humping Mr. Hyde in Jekyll and Hyde... Together Again.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I saw Drive Angry on blu ray 3D -- someone told me I HAD to see in 3D the scene where he gets in a gunfight while mid coitus with a prostitute.

best scene.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you like "people being assholes" comedy along the lines of Always Sunny, Hulu has You're the Worst which is a very, very funny show. Not as good as, like, Broad City but pretty close.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jack Gladney posted:

Why can't more actors turn out like Vincent Price when they try that?
Lack of a vocal schtick. British actors all, if they don't die of drink at an early age, reach a point at which they are willing to appear in virtually anything, wobbling in and out of respectability as Hollywood needs more or less cor blimeys and posh toffs. How many times has Michael Caine achieved and lost the public eye? Bob Hoskins?

Why is this more of a thing with British actors? There's probably a Just-So story sort of explanation in there somewhere involving the popularity of Method acting on either side of the Atlantic, but gently caress if I can be assed to go in after it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cocoa Ninja posted:

That scene was stolen more or less directly from Shoot 'Em Up.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

I just watched a pretty decent end of the world movie called These Final Hours.

It takes place on Perth after a meteor has hit North Atlantic and there's 12 hours left before the firestorm hits Australia or whatever. They don't get much into the details and instead focus on this one particular character. Since I pretty much didn't recognize anyone involved it was easy to get wrapped up in the plot.

A good way to spend 90 minutes if you like that genre.

I saw this recently too and really enjoyed it. End of the world movies really aren't my thing normally, but staying with the one particular character and the craziness that was happening that day in his life, and the lives of all the people he encountered really sucked me in. It probably didn't help that I had a child a month ago, but the whole family killing themselves with out her, and then her saying that she would watch as he drove away really pulled on the heart strings.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Leaving Las Vegas is really depressing

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
There's a film coming out at some point with Nic Cage and Elijah Wood that I worked on as the Steadicam operator. It should...interesting. Dark comedy kind of thing.
It was fun to watch the two bounce off each other. Watching Nic really become CAAAAGE in person is insane. Dude is fascinating to be around. I doubt this will be any sort of resurrection film for him, but it'll be worth a watch after a few beers.

Wood is the nicest human being I've ever met.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
If we're talking Nic Cage and not streaming things, can I recommend Matchstick Men.
I liked it because its Ridley Scott, Nic Cage and Alison Lohman.

EDIT : Oh and Sam Rockwell, how could I forget...

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

origami posted:

That's one of those movies that I'm glad I saw but I need never see again.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

origami posted:

You may want to do yourself a favor and never read up on the author then. Leaving Las Vegas is basically an extremely long suicide note and he shot himself soon after he found out they were making it into a movie. I think he attempted to act out the events of the novel at some point as well.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

girth brooks part 2 posted:

It's actually a kind of mindset for certain actors depending on where they learned the craft that the important thing is to always keep working, whether you like the role you are in or not, because you never know when people are going to stop offering you opportunities. When you take that in, it actually explains why a lot of actors from a certain era, especially character actors, but even people like like De Niro or Pacino keep showing up for stuff that seems below them.

I actually read an interview with Anthony Hopkins once where he was asked how it came about that he starred in a bunch of different movies, including Bad Company and Legends of the Fall. The interviewer seemed disappointed that Anthony's response was that the story is the same for a lot of them: His agent gave him a script, he read the script and thought it sounded terrible, but he had the extra three months so he accepted the offer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kuddles posted:

It's actually a kind of mindset for certain actors depending on where they learned the craft that the important thing is to always keep working, whether you like the role you are in or not, because you never know when people are going to stop offering you opportunities. When you take that in, it actually explains why a lot of actors from a certain era, especially character actors, but even people like like De Niro or Pacino keep showing up for stuff that seems below them.

Yeah, I seem to remember a major reason why Gary Oldman was in the Harry Potter movies was that no one would offer any other major roles for like 3 years.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I seem to remember a major reason why Gary Oldman was in the Harry Potter movies was that no one would offer any other major roles for like 3 years.

That seems odd. The first two movies, while not great, were HUGELY successful, the books were already incredibly popular and hitting their peak, and the role he was being offered was pretty crucial in the series as a whole, and the movie he was being offered was directed by Alfonso Cuaron, who just became famous for Y Tu Mama Tambien. Why would he balk at that offer? Who would?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I've heard some big name actor say almost that exact thing, I just can't remember who it was. The general sentiment was that as an actor you shouldn't take work for granted, and just because you may have a lot of money at the moment isn't a reason to turn down opportunities. I think it may have been a woman who said it because for women its even easier to understand that way of thinking. As an actress, even if you're massively successful and make millions of dollars, that's somewhat offset by the fact that your career could easily stop dead in its tracks at age 35.

The overall quality of a project shouldn't be on any single actors shoulders anyway. I see nothing wrong with a professional actor taking a part in something they personally expect to be bad, as long as they continue to give their all. Anthony Hopkins gives an excellent performance, as he always does, in The Rite, which in pretty much every other way is a terrible film. Everyone can see that his performance is good, just because its in a poo poo movie doesn't mean anyone thinks less of Hopkins as an actor.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well, Anthony Hopkins also regrets being in The Elephant Man, so the dude's weird about what roles he takes in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Franchescanado posted:

That seems odd. The first two movies, while not great, were HUGELY successful, the books were already incredibly popular and hitting their peak, and the role he was being offered was pretty crucial in the series as a whole, and the movie he was being offered was directed by Alfonso Cuaron, who just became famous for Y Tu Mama Tambien. Why would he balk at that offer? Who would?

It's more that he didn't have anything for a long time and then suddenly Harry Potter.