Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It's a prank!

quote:

British holidaymakers staying at the five star resort Grand Yazici Mares in Icmeler, Turkey, were left terrified after staff members staged an Isil-style attack.

Jason Phythian, 43, was relaxing poolside when a group of men stormed the pool area brandishing fake guns and ‘fuel’ cans. Mr Phythian claims a man dressed in Arab clothing poured a liquid labelled as fuel over his head and then pulled out a lighter.

“One ran up to me with a bucket with ‘fuel’ written on the side. He threw it over me and got out a cigarette lighter.”

Jaosn's sister Dawn Sutton, 41, wrote she was “so shocked to see them dressed up. One was dressed in army pants walking around with a gun pointing it at people.”

The traumatised guests were informed the "attack" was part of a "Hollywood themed poolside show". They however remained suitably unimpressed claiming the prank resembled the Tunisia attacks which took place only 6 weeks earlier.

Thirty-eight individuals including 30 British tourists were killed by ISIS terrorist Seifeddine Rezgui Yacoubi who stormed a popular hotel near Sousse, Tunisia, on June 26.

Mr Pythian, who visited the resort with five members of his family, was on a 10-day holiday to celebrate his father’s 70th birthday. He claims the incident left him wanting to return to the UK.

“It was disgusting to try and make light of Tunisia in that way.”

The family complained to the hotel but claim the incident was brushed off as a prank.

Jet2Holidays, the holiday operators who booked the Phythian’s holiday, released a statement saying that they regret the incident.

“We are sorry to hear about the distress experienced…This was a Hollywood themed poolside show, which included the characters Rambo and Superman, and it is always well received by the hotel’s residents.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, you're supposed to do that with old west train robber bandits or 16th century buccaneers, not contemporary terrorist groups.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
9/11 Inside Job or Prank Gone Wrong? Clear here to find out!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKA6WKDMHA

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

What did I just watch? I'm not a hardcore gamer or flight attendant. Was this an ad for building a computer? Will they let anyone bring this on a flight or just employees? Why should I care about this product? Why doesn't the computer come pre-assembled?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I think it's pre assembled but configurable if you want to later. I kinda like it tbh, but yeah the commercial is goofy as hell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Karma Monkey posted:

What did I just watch? I'm not a hardcore gamer or flight attendant. Was this an ad for building a computer? Will they let anyone bring this on a flight or just employees? Why should I care about this product? Why doesn't the computer come pre-assembled?

Being able to assemble your own computer lets you get better deals in some cases and get the exact parts you want, and also lets you upgrade a couple old parts rather than buy a whole new box, and honestly its as simple as Lego so more people should realize that they're capable of it. Its easy enough kids can do it. The MSI symbol makes it clear who the ad was for (they're trying to sell people custom gamer computer parts, more people buy those that build their own computers than people who show up to Dell and just say "gimme a gaming PC please") it has nothing to do with flight or flight attendants that's just a bad part of the ad.

The strategy makes sense but yeah not the best ad.

Its "building computers is so easy, even a flight attendant can do it!" so more people build computers and become their customers. Also maybe with an implied "gaming computers are for girls too" ?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Karma Monkey posted:

My company has one of these for Oculus Rift demos. It's far from portable, so I don't know what the ad's getting at with the whole flight-attendant angle. Maybe if ti was an ad for the Nvidia Shield or similar, it would make sense. If only there was a machine that would fit on the top of your lap. Some sort of "Lap" "Top", maybe...

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Krispy Kareem posted:

Has anyone else seen these billboards around:

This is a full sized billboard, but they've also got smaller square billboards where the blue text is squeezed into that green background making it impossible to read. I've only seen the smaller ones, hopefully because this is considered a PSA and the billboard operators just stick it on any unused properties.

Your tax dollars at work.

Last page, I know, but speaking of government agencies and superheroes, my city went with this campaign. In 2014. It was on billboards, garbage trucks, and the Public Works calendar that's distributed to every household in the city. There was even a painful song and music video to go along with it.

Apologies for the terrible photo, googling "Clean Up Baltimore" nowadays just brings up images of the riot aftermath.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I'm the Poo Fairy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
do not poo poo under your pillow :siren:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Last page, I know, but speaking of government agencies and superheroes, my city went with this campaign. In 2014. It was on billboards, garbage trucks, and the Public Works calendar that's distributed to every household in the city. There was even a painful song and music video to go along with it.

Apologies for the terrible photo, googling "Clean Up Baltimore" nowadays just brings up images of the riot aftermath.

The Leafy Lisa I know in Baltimore does not look like that. :c00lbert: :420:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Crow Jane posted:

There was even a painful song

It had better be a parody of YMCA

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

many johnnys posted:

It had better be a parody of YMCA

If only.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

haha How did I never see this? Was it a really short campaign? I have to ask around now and see if anyone else here remembers it. I noticed the Poo Fairy isn't in the video.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

haha How did I never see this? Was it a really short campaign? I have to ask around now and see if anyone else here remembers it. I noticed the Poo Fairy isn't in the video.

I never actually saw it on TV either, I don't think. It may have ran during childrens' programming? I just remember seeing that picture in the calendar, knowing there had to be a song, looking it up, and sadly proving myself right.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Aug 15, 2015

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Stolen from the PYF Funny Pictures thread:

mrkillboy posted:

focus on that second zero

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"There is a gamer... in everyone! *wink*"

:roflolmao:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kakairo posted:

Stolen from the PYF Funny Pictures thread:

University of North Texas

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I don't believe she is a flight attendant
I don't believe she is a gamer
I don't believe she made that PC
I don't believe MSI. Good job guys

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

University of North Texas

No, that's just a regular old novelty mug.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Wanamingo posted:

No, that's just a regular old novelty mug.

... I really don't want to know what other results you might get if you enter "dick mug" into Google image search.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Surprisingly, just lots more of that "dick" mug and this...

:NSFW: http://i.imgur.com/hGi00tM.jpg :nsfw:
(It's a mug with a ceramic dick handle).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah, but that marketing campaign is awesome.

I thought the guy was Haz-Matt. Now that I see he's Haz-Man I'm disappointed.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, but that marketing campaign is awesome.

I thought the guy was Haz-Matt. Now that I see he's Haz-Man I'm disappointed.

I think Recycle Rick is disappointing as a name too. Recycle Dick is catchier and could lead to hilarious misunderstandings. But no, they were lazy and just went with alliteration. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spog posted:

I don't believe she is a flight attendant
I don't believe she is a gamer
I don't believe she made that PC
I don't believe MSI. Good job guys

I don't believe that's her voice.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

... I really don't want to know what other results you might get if you enter "dick mug" into Google image search.

Oh god, I found something terrifying!
:nms:http://tinyurl.com/p34ssoy:nms:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

she forgot the OS :goonsay:

e: have fun downloading 30gb for battlefield on airplane internets

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Bluemillion posted:

Oh god, I found something terrifying!
:nms:http://tinyurl.com/p34ssoy:nms:

:stare:

SO glad you NMSed that. It's horrifying.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

John Murdoch posted:

I don't believe that's her voice.

Glad I wasn't the only one skeptical that she really had that 45-year-old generic tech instructional video voice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The "beef shirts" advertised in the banner could be sort of awkward.
Especially the NFL shirts that say "I HATE THE REDSKINS" or the MLB ones that say "I HATE THE INDIANS"
All about context, I guess.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

canyoneer posted:

The "beef shirts" advertised in the banner could be sort of awkward.
Especially the NFL shirts that say "I HATE THE REDSKINS" or the MLB ones that say "I HATE THE INDIANS"
All about context, I guess.

I know what the "gently caress BAMA" one in the banner is trying to say, but that's sure not the first thing I think of when I see it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I know every lovely laptop seems to have to have branding these days, but the audio on this particular one is pretty drat bad and is the last thing I'd want my fancy hifi brand associated with

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

dissss posted:

I know every lovely laptop seems to have to have branding these days, but the audio on this particular one is pretty drat bad and is the last thing I'd want my fancy hifi brand associated with

B&O haven't been doing too well due to the 2008 financial crisis, so I can see why they would branch out. I don't know why a producer of $10,000 luxury TVs and stereos would have anything to do with Asus, but here we are.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Spergminer posted:

B&O haven't been doing too well due to the 2008 financial crisis, so I can see why they would branch out. I don't know why a producer of $10,000 luxury TVs and stereos would have anything to do with Asus, but here we are.

Sounds like you're not familiar with the Asus Lamborghini laptops (yes that's a real branding partnership)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

VodeAndreas posted:

Sounds like you're not familiar with the Asus Lamborghini laptops (yes that's a real branding partnership)

Is that the one that makes a car rev'ing sound when you boot it up? Or maybe that was the Ferrari laptop.

Anyone remember that terrible tablet HP put out with Beats Audio built in? Probably similar to the Bang & Olufsen laptop. Off the shelf parts 'tweaked' by the premiere brand. Or maybe using the same software drivers. Perhaps they stuck in a marginally better amplifier or speaker, but it's still a laptop or tablet sound system.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bang and Olufsen were nice, and pretty, but waaay high end luxury audiophile stuff in my experience.

But wasn't/isn't Asus a really good mid range computer parts manufacturer?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jastiger posted:

Bang and Olufsen were nice, and pretty, but waaay high end luxury audiophile stuff in my experience.

B&O were (still are) mostly style and branding over actual substance.
Then again the world of high-end audio is mostly style and branding over substance anyway.

And Asus are really good for all kinds of parts mid to high range.
Crappy RMA service but then again the standard for that is pretty low if it's not EVGA.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And Asus are really good for all kinds of parts mid to high range.
Crappy RMA service but then again the standard for that is pretty low if it's not EVGA.

My sister spilled coffee on her ASUS laptop and they repaired it for free, I also had an issue with mine not starting up at some point a couple of years ago while out of warranty, they also fixed that with no charge.
Their service is pretty awesome from what I have dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jastiger posted:

I've been building my own computers for like a decade and yes ASUS stuff is usually top notch. You pay more for ASUS gear but you really do get what you pay for. Their poo poo is solid and very good.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is that the one that makes a car rev'ing sound when you boot it up? Or maybe that was the Ferrari laptop.

Anyone remember that terrible tablet HP put out with Beats Audio built in? Probably similar to the Bang & Olufsen laptop. Off the shelf parts 'tweaked' by the premiere brand. Or maybe using the same software drivers. Perhaps they stuck in a marginally better amplifier or speaker, but it's still a laptop or tablet sound system.

That's high-end crap in general, though. The highest price anything doesn't function much better than moderately priced stuff if at all. Mostly it's about saying "I own an X" like it makes you better than everybody else. Think about, say, cars. A $2,000 Toyota from the 90's that's still in good condition will get you to work just as well as a brand new $90,000 Benz.