Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Momiji is super cute so i think it's unfair to begrudge her her popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

the wildest rear end posted:

Two characters which never even got official art have more than twice the amount of fan-art as one that did. Poor Tojiko

Tojiko is at least part of the 2nd best crew in Gensokyo. So she can be content with that, most mid-bosses aren't even part of a crew.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm pretty sure every midboss is part of a crew. Fairy crew, SDM crew, Eientei crew, Tengu crew, Taoist crew.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Oh right I forgot that Tewi is also a dialogue-less midboss, and is also incredibly popular.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Tojiko has dialogue when you fight Miko.
The reason why tojiko has less fanart or whatever is because she is newer, all the old characters are popular even bad ones like Remilia and Sakuya.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yup. Older characters get more and more art every year, which makes them more and more popular with the fanbase. Newer characters have never managed to catch up, and never will.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tewi is a playable character in PoFV and a major character in Inaba Of The Earth And Inaba Of The Moon.

Daiyousei and Koakuma only got grandfathered in because they were in the first Windows Touhou game. Jerks don't even got names, and I still think it's silly fans decided the midboss fairy has to be a shy dweeb with no confidence instead of a dumb prankster all fairies are by nature, simply because the cookie-cutter shy, no confidence personality hasn't been represented in 2hu

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

the wildest rear end posted:

Oh right I forgot that Tewi is also a dialogue-less midboss, and is also incredibly popular.

Tewi is a playable character and you should respect her. :colbert:

Clarste posted:

I'm pretty sure every midboss is part of a crew. Fairy crew, SDM crew, Eientei crew, Tengu crew, Taoist crew.

There is no such thing as a fairy crew (unless you mean the Three Fairies, which are indeed a crew), Koa has never been shown interacting with the SDM crew and until she is I will assume she was just a passerby, and the Tengu crew barely exists.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Tewi also co-stared in a 4-koma comic series with Reisen so it isn't like her popularity is that unexpected.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

Yup. Older characters get more and more art every year, which makes them more and more popular with the fanbase. Newer characters have never managed to catch up, and never will.

Clearly the only solution is to have every game star Shinmyoumaru.
Sorry Sakuya, Reisen, Sanae. You're old news.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Tewi is a playable character in PoFV and a major character in Inaba Of The Earth And Inaba Of The Moon.

Daiyousei and Koakuma only got grandfathered in because they were in the first Windows Touhou game. Jerks don't even got names, and I still think it's silly fans decided the midboss fairy has to be a shy dweeb with no confidence instead of a dumb prankster all fairies are by nature, simply because the cookie-cutter shy, no confidence personality hasn't been represented in 2hu

Daiyousei was in one chapter of the three fairy manga where she didn't say anything and just looked pissed off that Cirno stopped playing hide and seek with her to go do something dumb with the three fairies.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HGH posted:

I would be fine with that.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Nages posted:

Tojiko has dialogue when you fight Miko.
The reason why tojiko has less fanart or whatever is because she is newer, all the old characters are popular even bad ones like Remilia and Sakuya.

You might as well say Mima is bad :colbert:

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Mima isn't popular she is just good. Also she will be in the next game.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Tojiko owns. Taoist Crew best crew.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Tojiko owns. Taoist Crew best crew.

The Taoists are cool but they don't have Byakuren

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

HGH posted:

Seija-Shinmyoumaru duo a la IN. I won't accept anything else.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

The Taoists are cool but they don't have Byakuren

Miko is cooler than Byakuren though.

Space Flower posted:

Seija-Shinmyoumaru duo a la IN. I won't accept anything else.

But Shinmyoumaru doesn't like Seija because she is a lying liar who lies.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I don't necessarily trust the Japanese wiki's popularity poll, but it's still the best source we have for that kind of thing, and neither of the nameless EOSD midbosses even made the top 50 this year. They're even below a bunch of newer B-listers like Keine and Iku and Nazrin.

It's true that Tojiko is still less popular than either of them, though. RIP. She even lost to Yumemi. That's just pathetic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's messed up that Yumemi is more popular than Mima and Shinki.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The best PC-98 girl is the one that drives a literal tank.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Actually it's Mima

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As long as we can all agree that the best overall pc-98 character is Genji.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Nages posted:

Actually it's Mima

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
By the way, Tasofro released the OST of ULiL. Turns out all the arranges sounded like crap because they got everything good compressed out of them.

Compare this to this.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Nages posted:

Actually it's Orange

ftfy

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Koa has never been shown interacting with the SDM crew and until she is I will assume she was just a passerby
Are you giving Meiling that little credit?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Meiling has been shown interacting with the SDM crew and has lines and a personality and a backstory and a fight against a Giant Catfish. So I don't see how they're all that comparable.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Koa has never been shown interacting with the SDM crew and until she is I will assume she was just a passerby

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know who that is, seems like a strange demon familiar, or maybe a large maid fairy. It's good to see that the SDM is still one of the top employers in gensokyou though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
She worked a stand one time.

I want Marisa to have her own comic so all the cool and interesting comics don't just actually literally revolve around Reimu.

rip Alice.

rip Nitori so much as referencing any (friendly) relationship with Marisa in her many appearances

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

She worked a stand one time.

I want Marisa to have her own comic so all the cool and interesting comics don't just actually literally revolve around Reimu.

rip Alice.

rip Nitori so much as referencing any (friendly) relationship with Marisa in her many appearances

She has friendly conversations with Marisa in the vs quotes in the fighting games and hangs out with her in her endings in both HM and ULiL.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Meiling has been shown interacting with the SDM crew and has lines and a personality and a backstory and a fight against a Giant Catfish. So I don't see how they're all that comparable.
I mean for Koakuma to be just a passerby she would have to have beaten Meiling to get in.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

leather fedora posted:

I mean for Koakuma to be just a passerby she would have to have beaten Meiling to get in.

Oh, then Koa got in while Meiling was fighting Reimu/Marisa. Or she managed to get in while Meiling was dreaming of fighting the Evil Taisui Xingjun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She has friendly conversations with Marisa in the vs quotes in the fighting games and hangs out with her in her endings in both HM and ULiL.

She even gave Marisa a discount!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nitori is a good friend. A huge jerk, but a good friend.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Koakuma is a friend to everyone in and a valued member of the SDM.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nitori is a good friend. A huge jerk, but a good friend.

That's most of the cast, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Miko is cooler than Byakuren though.

But Shinmyoumaru doesn't like Seija because she is a lying liar who lies.

Name one time Seija lies. Protip: You can't!