Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Xenoblade bad, Xenoblade overhyped and overrated. Xenoblade fans obnoxious like Sonic and Steven Universe fans.

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Effortpost:

Xenoblade is a good game but "the best JRPG in ages and a model for all games in the genre" just feels silly.

The actual storyline is pretty bog-standard JRPG and the characters people praise are largely bog-standard anime characters. Riki isn't even remotely exceptional for a mascot character as they come in basically two flavors: squeaky and childlike or squeak and ironically older/important. There are likable characters but there isn't actually anything particularly unique about Xenoblade's characterization or its storyline. What it isn't cribbing from JRPGs it is cribbing from mecha anime. (Exactly the same thing Xenogears and Xenosaga did.) As near as I can tell the only reason people hold it up particularly high is because it has different voice actors from normal.

The combat system is genuinely pretty fun but suffers from taking a long time to get going, being trivial to outlevel, and healing being legitimately badly designed to the point Xenoblade Chronicles X appears to have basically taken a hatchet to it. Each of the characters individually is well designed but the core combat AI is really awful and can't really deal with a lot of character's gimmicks. I love the combat system in theory but you basically have to ignore sidequests for it to actually shine.

The sidequest system is praised for being user-friendly but what it is user-friendly for are some of the worst of the worst MMO-style sidequests. 90% of the sidequests in the game are completely forgettable trash that involve hoping for random rat anus drops and doing them causes you to outlevel the rest of the game. The interesting stuff (Heart to Hearts, Skill Tree upgrades, Colony 6 reconstruction) are gated behind extremely tedious sidequest grinding to raise affinity. The core game is like 40-50 hours long on its own but it balloons to 100 if you're just looking to collect poo poo. It's certainly nice this system doesn't make you backtrack to hand poo poo in or warns you not to sell poo poo but it doesn't actually change the fact a huge number of sidequests are boring filler. They also have a lot of extremely tedious poo poo like timed schedules which make it needlessly annoying to actually find quests to do.

And it doesn't help that sidequests almost all have poo poo-worthless rewards too. The vast majority of the rewards are completely meaningless gems you'll never use, weapons which tend to be way worse than anything you have equipped at the moment, or money which is completely a waste of everyone's time because you make more cash selling the random vendor trash that you get just as a matter of regular fighting than you could ever hope to use in the course of the entire game. The interesting stuff is, as mentioned, gated behind affinity or the result of random loot drops. Having upper-tier skills tied to random loot drops is annoying as hell because short of FAQing you're effectively at the mercy of random chance to see if you can level up skills you're using. (And even then you're at random chance, just with grinding specific foes.)

Despite all that I still think it's a good game but "overrated" really feels like a fair thing to apply to it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enjoying things bad, hyperbole/exaggeration bad, internet ratings variance of 'I love it, it's the best thing ever' to 'This thing is garbage, gave me cancer and caused a genocide of my people for several decades' bad

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
gently caress all of y'all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Who cares

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It's "the best JRPG in ages" because the genre is absolutely dire.

However, it is also a really good game with a non-annoying plot and fantastic art direction.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Louisgod posted:

gently caress all of y'all.

Fwiw, Louisgod, if it weren't for you I wouldn't have a copy to be able to sell it to someone on eBay for 95 bucks.

Thank you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do. I care.

Chieves posted:

Nah. It isn't even the best JRPG on the 3DS. MAYBE the best on the Wii.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's the best on the Wii because the Wii had two jrpgs and the one that isn't Xenoblade is completely forgettable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

It's the best on the Wii because the Wii had two jrpgs and the one that isn't Xenoblade is completely forgettable

Hey now. It had Opoona. :colbert:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

it's a good game but a lot of people talk about it like it's the second coming or something and it's like, no. it's definitely got some major flaws

Chieves posted:

wrongo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Playing Xenoblade was the greatest struggle for me because I could not muster the ability to play a game with such a loving boring combat system and Sengoku Basara was sitting next to me waiting to be played

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Baal posted:

Poor Wii, if only it had high quality RPGs like Infinite Undiscovery or Star Ocean 4. :rip:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Chieves posted:

In the eyes of those who get offended at the idea of touching a handheld or playing games outside of the genre's biggest IPs.

e:
vv whole lot of wrong down there

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 19, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Good JRPGs stopped after the PlayStation 2. Although to be fair Persona 5 and Xenoblade X comes out soon. Also Bravely Default is the best 3DS game. I don't know how well the sequel was received, its not out in America until next year.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Good JRPGs stopped after the PlayStation 2.

I said come in! posted:

Also Bravely Default is the best 3DS game.

???

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Both Paper Marios came out in that timeframe so he's right there.

The 3DS line up must be dire if a JRPG is topping things tho

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

both of the ds systems had plenty of good jrpgs, though the 3ds is a bit lesser in that regard

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Both Paper Marios came out in that timeframe so he's right there.

The 3DS line up must be dire if a JRPG is topping things tho

jfc

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Baal posted:

Didn't xenoblade literally come out as one of three RPGs released at the same time? Like that was a big deal about its release.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Chronojam posted:

Didn't xenoblade literally come out as one of three RPGs released at the same time? Like that was a big deal about its release.

the last story and pandora's tower, but the latter is more of an action game

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Baal posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that played and beat Arc Rise Fantasia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

No you're not, I am.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

:hfive:

despite having the worst dub I can commit to memory without having a seizure, it was a hella fun game.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I was about to say that I barely remembered it having sold it years ago, but as soon as I started thinking about it a tidal wave of memories came flooding back and older me is now wondering how I even put up with that poo poo.

Like the most fun part about it was mixing and matching gems for different spell combinations, but now I can't even give a poo poo about the characters or story or anything because my god is it mediocre.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Well one game in that entire time is not a good trend, nor does ti say that jrpgs as a genre is still good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

bravely default is nowhere near the only good jrpg to come out since the ps2. hell, it's not even close to being the best rpg square enix put out on a nintendo platform in that timeframe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm gonna count the Witcher series as JRPGs, also Call of Duty. Gonna pad the genre a bit.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
My opinion about a video game is more valid than your opinion about a video game and if you disagree with me then you're wrong.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Slur posted:

My opinion about a video game is more valid than your opinion about a video game and if you disagree with me then you're wrong.

i don't think thats true

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

noted bad jrpg the world ends with you

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Well one game in that entire time is not a good trend, nor does ti say that jrpgs as a genre is still good.

jrpgs as a genre is still good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hold, I'm gonna make a list of bad jrpgs since the ps2 era ended

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gimme a minute this is gonna take a while

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Several Atelier games
NIER
Valkyria Chronicles
FF Type-0
The FFXV Demo
Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
The Mario & Luigi RPGs
Tons of SMT games that are not named Strange Journey
The World Ends With You
Bravely Default
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fate/Extra
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

Oh wait, I was wrong, these are the good jrpgs. These are the only ones I've played too, I'm sure some people are willing to speak up for Etrian Odyssey and a few of the Tales games. Maybe there's like one guy somewhere who'll stick up for Ni No Kuni, but he's crazy don't believe him.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Baal posted:

Several Atelier games
NIER
Valkyria Chronicles
FF Type-0
The FFXV Demo
The Mario & Luigi RPGs
The World Ends With You
Bravely Default
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fate/Extra

Oh wait, I was wrong, these are the good jrpgs. These are the only ones I've played too, I'm sure some people are willing to speak up for Etrian Odyssey and a few of the Tales games. Maybe there's like one guy somewhere who'll stick up for Ni No Kuni, but he's crazy don't believe him.

If you don't mind me asking, what is Fate/extra? I just came off Unlimited Blade Works and kinda want more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fate/Extra is a game where you get to play as a voiceless high school student in the moon cell holy grail war, which is a virtual world. The gameplay is basically rock-paper-scissors where you have to predict and plan out your attack according to what pattern you think the enemy is going to use. It's actually a pretty fun game with a very simple combat system that takes it a long way. Your characters of course get skills and you can buff them. You get to choose between one of three servants a Saber, Archer, and Caster. Your goal is of course to win the Moon Cell Holy Grail war and to do this you can actually gather information on enemy servants and masters and learn how they are and that actually gives you an advantage in fights.

It's a fun game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

Fate/Extra is a game where you get to play as a voiceless high school student in the moon cell holy grail war, which is a virtual world. The gameplay is basically rock-paper-scissors where you have to predict and plan out your attack according to what pattern you think the enemy is going to use. It's actually a pretty fun game with a very simple combat system that takes it a long way. Your characters of course get skills and you can buff them. You get to choose between one of three servants a Saber, Archer, and Caster. Your goal is of course to win the Moon Cell Holy Grail war and to do this you can actually gather information on enemy servants and masters and learn how they are and that actually gives you an advantage in fights.

It's a fun game.

Can you social link Saber

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Baal posted:

Several Atelier games
NIER
Valkyria Chronicles
FF Type-0
The FFXV Demo
The Mario & Luigi RPGs
The World Ends With You
Bravely Default
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fate/Extra

all six etrian odysseys are good and tales of vesperia owns. haven't played ni no kuni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Calling Type-0 good is a bit too complimentary. That game is average at best.

• Locked thread