Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Bip Roberts posted:

Being a slow moving centrist might actually be what Obama wants to be.

He's basically said as much; and that democracy that moves too fast or with sudden change is not healthy and not a real democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How hosed would the Middle East be under a Trump presidency?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

goose fleet posted:

As long as he can tell Iranians from Mexicans I think the Mideast will fly under his radar.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I actually believe it should be the other way around; the security council is inherently flawed because it includes regimes that are already violating human rights in mass scale, whereas R2P is a great concept and should be a clear legal definition and an independent branch of the UN makes decisions that the UN members must adide by to remain a member. The UNSC is just a way for major powers to politik and hasn't prevented any escalations including Syria and Ukraine, because of course it won't when opposed super powers have vested interests in those regions.

Every permanent member of the security council has engaged in massive human rights abuses since the creation of the UN, so I don't think that would have worked out too well.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Do the rotating, temporary members of the council have any real say in things?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goose fleet posted:

When the permanent members don't give a poo poo about a topic, they do.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I actually believe it should be the other way around; the security council is inherently flawed because it includes regimes that are already violating human rights in mass scale, whereas R2P is a great concept and should be a clear legal definition and an independent branch of the UN makes decisions that the UN members must adide by to remain a member. The UNSC is just a way for major powers to politik and hasn't prevented any escalations including Syria and Ukraine, because of course it won't when opposed super powers have vested interests in those regions.

Everyone should be extremely glad that it is not the other way around, since what you are proposing (unilaterally ordering countries around while ignoring the reality of their economic and military power) led directly to massive world wars since the major powers lost their ability to use diplomacy to get what they wanted.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 19, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

goose fleet posted:

Possibly less hosed than under Walker/Jeb!/Lindsay Graham, although if there was any fainter praise it would be invisible.

Trump has said he wants to bomb ISIL's oil wells, which would cause a hell of a lot of chaos (and death), and although he's attacked Jeb! over Iraq, he's also said something about boots on the ground against ISIL.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/trumps-foreign-policy-platform-includes-boots-ground-isis/
http://www.businessinsider.com/a-top-us-general-picked-apart-donald-trumps-isis-policy-2015-8

But he probably wouldn't start a ground war with Iran like Walker would, so still slightly better on that front.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

goose fleet posted:

Yes they do, but they don't have veto power. Having a seat at the table is a huge opportunity and it should be recognized as such. This reflects the reality that if New Zealand doesn't get what it wants through the UNSC, it won't be able to single-handedly upset the world order in pursuit of it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fade5 posted:

Possibly less hosed than under Walker/Jeb!/Lindsay Graham, although if there was any fainter praise it would be invisible.

Trump has said he wants to bomb ISIL's oil wells, which would cause a hell of a lot of chaos (and death), and although he's attacked Jeb! over Iraq, he's also said something about boots on the ground against ISIL.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/trumps-foreign-policy-platform-includes-boots-ground-isis/
http://www.businessinsider.com/a-top-us-general-picked-apart-donald-trumps-isis-policy-2015-8

But he probably wouldn't start a ground war with Iran like Walker would, so still slightly better on that front.

"Boots on the ground" might have a better chance of "destroying" ISIL in the sense that it'd probably end up with current ISIL leadership dead but the end result would be other people/groups stepping up to pick up where al-Baghdadi left off.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

FAUXTON posted:

"Boots on the ground" might have a better chance of "destroying" ISIL in the sense that it'd probably end up with current ISIL leadership dead but the end result would be other people/groups stepping up to pick up where al-Baghdadi left off.

Didn't the sunni/shia militias in Iraq basically say 'thanks for the guns but if you bring in troops we will gently caress you up'?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

We kinda already had boots on the ground for a decade in Iraq and ISIS' progenitor organization still survived that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sergg posted:

We kinda already had boots on the ground for a decade in Iraq and ISIS' progenitor organization still survived that.

Because the "boots on the ground" were trying to patrol cities and train MPs.

Like I said, it would destroy ISIL only in the sense that the current leadership would be eradicated, but others would take their place and it would functionally be no different from if we never invaded at all (in short, "a terrible and costly decision with no upside.") There's no way in hell any number of "boots" in any place would destroy the political and social forces that drive people to extremism, and it's almost certain it would exacerbate them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In the absence of a parliament, Sisi pushed through the patriot act on steroids, which essentially restores the Mubarak era state of emergency laws that were widely used to crack down on dissent. Journalists can now be fined up to $65,000 and banned from journalism for a year based on writing stories that contradict official state reports of events. This seems to be in response to a number of stories that came out about the fighting in the Sinai that questioned whether the government was trying to cover up the true extent of the death toll. It also establishes a special court system for terrorists, and broadens the definition of "terrorism" to include very generalized crimes like "promoting civil disorder." Of course, this being Egypt, it made sure to give prosecutors sweeping powers and ensure the death penalty can be sentenced rapidly and efficiently. Things are getting awfully dystopian there.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/egypts-president-approves-antiterrorism-measures-1439820527

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

goose fleet posted:

A lot less, I'd think, since I doubt Trump is afraid to tackle the issues from an outside-the-box framework.

What I mean is, Trump would create an irradiated deadzone between ISIL, Sunni, and Shia, solving the mideastern sectarian divides once and for all.

Also, if you wanna feel all sad brains, ISIL executed 'Ali Assad yesterday. Ali had been administrator of Palmyra for the past 50 years. Presumably, ISIL had him finish appraising everything worth appraising.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 19, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

My Imaginary GF posted:

A lot less, I'd think, since I doubt Trump is afraid to tackle the issues from an outside-the-box framework.

What I mean is, Trump would create an irradiated deadzone between ISIL, Sunni, and Shia, solving the mideastern sectarian divides once and for all.

Also, if you wanna feel all sad brains, ISIL executed 'Ali Assad yesterday. Ali had been administrator of Palmyra for the past 50 years. Presumably, ISIL had him finish appraising everything worth appraising.

You know speaking of outliving their usefulness when was the last time we heard anything about John Cantlie? Has there been any word since like last year?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

I cannot possibly imagine what the purpose of this could have been. I doubt this old man posed a serious security threat. It's the 'little' things that drive home just how evil they are.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

My Imaginary GF posted:

I hope you're being facetious. Trump said his plan for ISIS is to bomb them, encircle them and take their oil. I fail to see how this vague nonsense of an idea would improve anything, in any way.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

I cannot possibly imagine what the purpose of this could have been. I doubt this old man posed a serious security threat. It's the 'little' things that drive home just how evil they are.

Can't go around re-appraising artifacts or telling folks the prices he told ISIL, now, can he? At ISIL, insider trading of anything but Yazidis is haram.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

In the absence of a parliament, Sisi pushed through the patriot act on steroids, which essentially restores the Mubarak era state of emergency laws that were widely used to crack down on dissent. Journalists can now be fined up to $65,000 and banned from journalism for a year based on writing stories that contradict official state reports of events. This seems to be in response to a number of stories that came out about the fighting in the Sinai that questioned whether the government was trying to cover up the true extent of the death toll. It also establishes a special court system for terrorists, and broadens the definition of "terrorism" to include very generalized crimes like "promoting civil disorder." Of course, this being Egypt, it made sure to give prosecutors sweeping powers and ensure the death penalty can be sentenced rapidly and efficiently. Things are getting awfully dystopian there.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/egypts-president-approves-antiterrorism-measures-1439820527

Popular.... support...

Morsi was an insane Islamist... Look at these poll numbers!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Bait and Swatch posted:

I hope you're being facetious. Trump said his plan for ISIS is to bomb them, encircle them and take their oil. I fail to see how this vague nonsense of an idea would improve anything, in any way.

MIGF being facetious!? Never.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

They apparently "interrogated" him for a month before beheading him after he wouldn't reveal where the hidden Palmyra antiquities were. Depressing as gently caress. If he really did hold out that long with out telling them (a loving month?) at the age of 82 then he he is braver any of us will ever be.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/18/isis-beheads-archaeologist-syria

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa posted:

They apparently "interrogated" him for a month before beheading him after he wouldn't reveal where the hidden Palmyra antiquities were. Depressing as gently caress. If he really did hold out that long with out telling them (a loving month?) at the age of 82 then he he is braver any of us will ever be.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/18/isis-beheads-archaeologist-syria

It's possible that he didn't even have the information they wanted. The article alludes to hidden artifacts, but it's not really clear if it's in reference to something that was already excavated and stashed away in a place Assad would know the location of. It's a local story around Palmyra that the most ancient drawings reference locations of tombs that could be full of valuable artifacts were they found. ISIS has captured men involved in the museum scene before demanding that they decipher these sort of treasure maps to find the tombs. I know of at least one man who fled for his life because he knew it wasn't realistic to be able to do that, and that his ability to find those tombs was the extent of his usefulness to them. This guy could have been in a similar situation.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Was he related to Bashar Assad?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sergg posted:

The name's spelling is a bit different, Asaad, so probably not.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sergg posted:

Nope, different arabic lettering:

Khaled al-Asaad
‏خالد الأسعد

Bashar Hafez al-Assad
بشار حافظ الأسد

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Volkerball posted:

It's possible that he didn't even have the information they wanted. The article alludes to hidden artifacts, but it's not really clear if it's in reference to something that was already excavated and stashed away in a place Assad would know the location of. It's a local story around Palmyra that the most ancient drawings reference locations of tombs that could be full of valuable artifacts were they found. ISIS has captured men involved in the museum scene before demanding that they decipher these sort of treasure maps to find the tombs. I know of at least one man who fled for his life because he knew it wasn't realistic to be able to do that, and that his ability to find those tombs was the extent of his usefulness to them. This guy could have been in a similar situation.

Well at least we have the plot for the next Indiana Jones movie.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's really hard to fathom the span of history that basically gets classified as Jahiliyyah and thus requiring erasure under the rule of groups like ISIL, without getting really, really depressed.

e: I mean we're still digging poo poo up in the crescent that keeps pushing back the dawn of civilization.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 20, 2015

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Obviously the loss of life during this civil war really sucks, but it's also sad what ISIS are doing to the heritage site.

My parents who are both virtually retired were fortunate enough to visit Palmyra during a holiday to Syria, Jordan, Israel and Iran about a year before the Arab spring stuff started. They are huge archeology and art history buffs so I'm so glad they could experience it before the poo poo hit the fan. When the Syrian part started they said that, as a tourist, you would never have known anything like that would happen because of the friendly and peaceful vibe they received from the locals in Damascus & Palmyra.

Whereas when they visited pre-Euro crisis Greece on another trip they had someone trying to scam them, bag snatch or pickpocket them every other day. :v:

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 20, 2015

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Welp, it seems that murderous suppression of a theretofore non-violent political opposition incites radicalization and a turn to violent resistance. Who knew?!

quote:

CAIRO — A car bomb targeting security forces exploded in the Egyptian capital early Thursday morning, the Interior Ministry said, shaking buildings across the city and raising fears of an increasingly brazen insurgency that has stepped up attacks in Cairo.

The blast could be heard across several neighborhoods in the city, according to residents who posted on Twitter. An assailant parked the vehicle packed with explosives outside a security headquarters in the Cairo-area district of Shubra, the Interior Ministry said in a statement Thursday. He then fled the scene on a motorcycle before the bomb exploded, the statement said.
Live feed from private Egyptian television channel CBC showed extensive damage to buildings in the district, which is about 6 miles from Cairo’s Tahrir Square.

The attack hit the Shubra-area headquarters of Egypt’s National Security Agency, the country’s domestic spy service.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A group calling itself "Blak Blok" (Black Block) claimed it and vowed more attacks. This may apparently be them, if you believe Twitter:

Yup, that's a classic CNT/FAI flag from the Spanish Civil War era, although now it belongs to the Free "Repels."

Edit: in case my sarcasm wasn't poking through enough, there is no way these people pulled this off. Bombing a security directorate building is major league poo poo, not "NO gently caress YOU DAD" teenager stuff.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 20, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cugel the Clever posted:

Welp, it seems that murderous suppression of a theretofore non-violent political opposition incites radicalization and a turn to violent resistance. Who knew?!

My intellectual hero Shadi Hamid just put out an article on this a couple weeks ago. It really puts the Arab Strongman myth to death. Some choice quotes that show just how much Sisi is empowering ISIS through his dumb as poo poo crackdown.

quote:

According to the Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy, the month of the coup, July 2013, saw a massive uptick in violence, from 13 attacks the month before to 95 attacks. The number of attacks dipped in subsequent months — to 69 in August and 56 in September — but remained significantly higher than before the coup. The pre- and post-coup discrepancy becomes even more obvious when we zoom out further: From July 2013 to May 2015, there were a total of 1,223 attacks over 23 months, an average of 53.2 attacks per month. In the 23 months prior to June 2013, there were a mere 78 attacks, an average of 3.4 attacks per month.

On Oct. 24, 2014, at least 33 Egyptian soldiers were killed, in what was, until then, the deadliest attack on security personnel since the coup. Ansar Beit al-Maqdis claimed responsibility. In response, Egyptian authorities moved to establish a buffer zone, forcing up to 10,000 residents to evacuate their homes, some with only 48 hours notice. The Egyptians military’s narrow security lens and harsh tactics have, in effect, further alienated local residents and helped fuel the insurgency. Shortly after the army began “relocating” villages, the number of attacks increased once again, but this time to previously unheard-of levels. The first five months of 2015 saw an average of 114.6 attacks, with an all-time high of 138 attacks in May.

Zack Gold, a researcher who specializes on the Sinai, wrote that due to the army’s scorched-earth tactics, “whole swaths of North Sinai civilization no longer exist.” One resident of the border town of Rafah, after learning his home would be destroyed, said: “I won’t lie. I’m more afraid of the army than the jihadis. When you’re oppressed, anyone who fights your oppression gets your sympathy.” Another Sinai resident, according to journalist Mohannad Sabry, said that after 90 percent of his village was destroyed in a security campaign, around 40 people took up arms, where through 2013, he knew of only five Ansar Beit al-Maqdis members in the village.

Thank God for Sisi. I'd hate to imagine how unstable Egypt would be without him in power.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

suboptimal posted:

A group calling itself "Blak Blok" (Black Block) claimed it and vowed more attacks. This may apparently be them, if you believe Twitter:

Yup, that's a classic CNT/FAI flag from the Spanish Civil War era, although now it belongs to the Free "Repels."

Edit: in case my sarcasm wasn't poking through enough, there is no way these people pulled this off. Bombing a security directorate building is major league poo poo, not "NO gently caress YOU DAD" teenager stuff.

I dunno, I met many Al Qaeda in Iraq members who were simply teenagers mad at authority, as weird as that sounds. Building a VBIED isn't that difficult with everything insurgents have learned over the last decade available on the internet, and even checkpoints are a bit of joke in my experience.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Egypt's anarchist groups have been getting press for a few years now.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/thelede/2013/01/25/a-black-bloc-emerges-in-egypt/?referrer=

It seems like they were in the streets before Sisi started shooting everyone who protested. They wouldn't be my first suspects, but with a paranoid military regime ruling I can see a group like that becoming more radicalized.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a9f4e40803924a8ab4c61cb65b2b2bb3/ap-exclusive-un-let-iran-inspect-alleged-nuke-work-site

AP Exclusive: UN to let Iran inspect alleged nuke work site

quote:

VIENNA (AP) — Iran will be allowed to use its own inspectors to investigate a site it has been accused of using to develop nuclear arms, operating under a secret agreement with the U.N. agency that normally carries out such work, according to a document seen by The Associated Press.

The revelation on Wednesday newly riled Republican lawmakers in the U.S. who have been severely critical of a broader agreement to limit Iran's future nuclear programs, signed by the Obama administration, Iran and five world powers in July. Those critics have complained that the wider deal is unwisely built on trust of the Iranians, while the administration has insisted it depends on reliable inspections.

A skeptical House Speaker John Boehner said, "President Obama boasts his deal includes 'unprecedented verification.' He claims it's not built on trust. But the administration's briefings on these side deals have been totally insufficient - and it still isn't clear whether anyone at the White House has seen the final documents."

Said House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce: "International inspections should be done by international inspectors. Period."

But House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi shrugged off the revelation, saying, "I truly believe in this agreement."

The newly disclosed side agreement, for an investigation of the Parchin nuclear site by the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency, is linked to persistent allegations that Iran has worked on atomic weapons. That investigation is part of the overarching nuclear-limits deal.

Evidence of the inspections concession is sure to increase pressure from U.S. congressional opponents before a Senate vote of disapproval on the overall agreement in early September. If the resolution passes and President Barack Obama vetoes it, opponents would need a two-thirds majority to override it. Even Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican, has suggested opponents will likely lose a veto fight, though that was before Wednesday's disclosure.

John Cornyn of Texas, the second-ranking Republican senator, said, "Trusting Iran to inspect its own nuclear site and report to the U.N. in an open and transparent way is remarkably naive and incredibly reckless. This revelation only reinforces the deep-seated concerns the American people have about the agreement."

The Parchin agreement was worked out between the IAEA and Iran. The United States and the five other world powers were not party to it but were briefed by the IAEA and endorsed it as part of the larger package.

On Wednesday, White House National Security Council spokesman Ned Price said the Obama administration was "confident in the agency's technical plans for investigating the possible military dimensions of Iran's former program. ... The IAEA has separately developed the most robust inspection regime ever peacefully negotiated."

All IAEA member countries must give the agency some insight into their nuclear programs. Some are required to do no more than give a yearly accounting of the nuclear material they possess. But nations— like Iran — suspected of possible proliferation are under greater scrutiny that can include stringent inspections.

The agreement in question diverges from normal procedures by allowing Tehran to employ its own experts and equipment in the search for evidence of activities it has consistently denied — trying to develop nuclear weapons.

Olli Heinonen, who was in charge of the Iran probe as deputy IAEA director general from 2005 to 2010, said he could think of no similar concession with any other country.

The White House has repeatedly denied claims of a secret side deal favorable to Tehran. IAEA chief Yukiya Amano told Republican senators last week that he was obligated to keep the document confidential.

Iran has refused access to Parchin for years and has denied any interest in — or work on — nuclear weapons. Based on U.S., Israeli and other intelligence and its own research, the IAEA suspects that the Islamic Republic may have experimented with high-explosive detonators for nuclear arms.

The IAEA has cited evidence, based on satellite images, of possible attempts to sanitize the site since the alleged work stopped more than a decade ago.

The document seen by the AP is a draft that one official familiar with its contents said doesn't differ substantially from the final version. He demanded anonymity because he wasn't authorized to discuss the issue in public.

The document is labeled "separate arrangement II," indicating there is another confidential agreement between Iran and the IAEA governing the agency's probe of the nuclear weapons allegations.

Iran is to provide agency experts with photos and videos of locations the IAEA says are linked to the alleged weapons work, "taking into account military concerns."

That wording suggests that — beyond being barred from physically visiting the site — the agency won't get photo or video information from areas Iran says are off-limits because they have military significance.

While the document says the IAEA "will ensure the technical authenticity" of Iran's inspection, it does not say how.

The draft is unsigned but the proposed signatory for Iran is listed as Ali Hoseini Tash, deputy secretary of the Supreme National Security Council for Strategic Affairs. That reflects the significance Tehran attaches to the agreement.

Iranian diplomats in Vienna were unavailable for comment, Wednesday while IAEA spokesman Serge Gas said the agency had no immediate comment.

The main focus of the July 14 deal between Iran and six world powers is curbing Iran's present nuclear program that could be used to make weapons. But a subsidiary element obligates Tehran to cooperate with the IAEA in its probe of the past allegations.

The investigation has been essentially deadlocked for years, with Tehran asserting the allegations are based on false intelligence from the U.S., Israel and other adversaries. But Iran and the U.N. agency agreed last month to wrap up the investigation by December, when the IAEA plans to issue a final assessment.

That assessment is unlikely to be unequivocal. Still, it is expected to be approved by the IAEA's board, which includes the United States and the other nations that negotiated the July 14 agreement. They do not want to upend their broader deal, and will see the December report as closing the books on the issue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spin up the hillbilly-accented handwringing about how the IAEA having Iran report directly to them on a nuclear energy research site, with IAEA doing technical evaluation of the reports with power to roll back sanctions if it doesn't add up is basically selling nukes to Khamenei.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

I mean it kind of sucks, but that's not entirely unreasonable when one side is known for using inspections to spy on conventional military programs to its benefit. The really interesting part is if Iran actually is going to admit to Amano that they did do preliminary weaponization work before 2003, and if the IAEA will subsequently keep that secret. I mean, I trust Amano less than El-Baradei on the latter point obviously, but on the other hand even if the White House gets a peek, they would want to keep it under wraps too so as to keep the deal in place.

The best way to explain this would probably be, "Do you think we should have allowed the KGB to inspect Area 51 as part of SALT?" (then again plenty of people back then and today probably preferred a first strike against the Soviets to SALT just as we should glass Iran)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Whut the gently caress's a SALT?"

That's the level of thinking you're dealing with when you run into laypeople getting their shorts in a knot about this.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What is the point of this UN deal? Limited photos, samples, any and all evidence is supplied by Iran over a site they've already denied (involvement in nuclear production). It's laughable and makes the UN look desperate in wanting to look like they're important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

FAUXTON posted:

"Whut the gently caress's a SALT?"

That's the level of thinking you're dealing with when you run into laypeople getting their shorts in a knot about this.

I don't view the revelation as positive news, but it's not inherently negative (which is how it will be portrayed). It's certainly perferable to war and a regional arms race, which will accomplish nothing. Even if Iran proves to be able to circumvent thw system, the region and world will be in a better spot than where we started the negotiations from.

Iran was perfectly capable of getting a nuke regardless of sanctions, at least this package offers a potential way out for all involved. I don't believe the sanctions will be as east to "snap back into place" as is often portrayed though. They were difficult enough establish first go around. Hopefully it we won't have to find out though.

• Locked thread