Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like we've been here before :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Cryophage posted:

Could this maybe be a stretch goal on the next kickstarter you guys do? I could see Warbot as part of the Atomic Robo universe.

Well, thematically at least. Not so much tonally.
Zack and I definitely want to do something for a big stretch goal on a Robo campaign. But it'd be a video thing, not a comic thing. And a Robo thing, not a Warbot thing.

But maybe we should add Some More Warbot Comics to the list of possible goals.
The true story this page was based on was probably lost to a server change a million years ago. But the short version is: in a game of Shadowrun, one of our players walked up to someone on the street and said "Hi, I'm a Shadowrunner and I'm looking for this other Shadowrunner and--" so, yeah, things went downhill right quick.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hyperactive posted:

The true story this page was based on was probably lost to a server change a million years ago. But the short version is: in a game of Shadowrun, one of our players walked up to someone on the street and said "Hi, I'm a Shadowrunner and I'm looking for this other Shadowrunner and--" so, yeah, things went downhill right quick.

Vaguely related to the current AR page and the current discussion: in Shadowrun's Seattle there's this place called the Crime Mall. I was led to assume that Shadowrunners were a wee bit more subtle than that.

My GM didn't really appreciate my Kim Possible jokes when we needed to meet a contact there.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
If this whole situation doesn't progress into Robo's head getting installed into a giant mech to let him punch biomega I've been misreading this comic the whole time.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well we just know he's going to be eating his words when he meets ALAN 2.0.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

thatbastardken posted:

If this whole situation doesn't progress into Robo's head getting installed into a giant mech to let him punch biomega I've been misreading this comic the whole time.
That would be A Very Cool Thing.

The problem is that it's too obvious. Too direct. It makes everything that is not that scene a complete waste of time. Because we all know if that is on the table, then everything that is not that is a huge waste of time. Around the office, we have a saying: "When do they get to the fireworks factory?"

But then Not Doing That Thing is even worse. Because you're wasting everyone's time as above, but then on top of that there's no pay off! It's twice as bad! Augh!

So, what do you do?

You do A Different But Also Very Cool Thing. that is not the obvious one the audience should naturally expect. And it's risky to do that because maybe your calculations about what Very Cool Things aren't right. And some folks will always balk when you subvert their expectations of what should obviously happen.

TL;DR: Robo will absolutely punch Biomega, but in a bigger and better and more sci-fi way than "merely" installing his head in a giant robot.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Obviously, Robo is going to have his head attached to a not-so-giant robot, which will then be used to pilot the really-giant robot used to punch the biomega.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Obviously, Robo is going to have his head attached to a not-so-giant robot, which will then be used to pilot the really-giant robot used to punch the biomega.

Minimus Robo?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"I ask for guns and what I get is fungus-human hybrids?" is pretty much the essence of action science.

Or a Brainstorming session from the RPG. One or the other.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Don't diss chitinous human mushroom hybrids yo.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Evil Mastermind posted:

"I ask for guns and what I get is fungus-human hybrids?" is pretty much the essence of action science.

So you saying this comic is the prequel for The Last of Us?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Hyperactive posted:

TL;DR: Robo will absolutely punch Biomega, but in a bigger and better and more sci-fi way than "merely" installing his head in a giant robot.

:getin:

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

BooDoug187 posted:

No, it's the prequel to Super Mario Brothers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BooDoug187 posted:

Last Of Us is actually the VampireMushroom Dimension.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Or a Brainstorming session from the RPG. One or the other.
It was really weird when Mike pitched the Brainstorming mechanics to us because it's such an accurate game-ified simulation of how those scenes are actually written that it felt like he'd seen us naked.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bucnasti posted:

Why is there a 'Robo in a wig' figurine?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Yvonmukluk posted:

It always looks like a wig to me too, but if you look SUPER CLOSELY it's like a helicopter flight helmet. The color doesn't do a darn thing to dissuade one from the wig interpretation though. And, frankly, I prefer it as a wig.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

When I saw that I assumed the toy company made an Atomic Girl-bo figure.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Every time I see that panel my desire for Robo Action Figures wells up anew.

God I want some good Atomic Robo action figures.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honorary 'Flying She Devil of the Pacific', and I don't care what anyone says.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Every time I see that panel my desire for Robo Action Figures wells up anew.

God I want some good Atomic Robo action figures.

I'm pretty sure if they started doing a line of figures and/or statues I'd never have money again. I'd just drive down to Hyperactive's house every payday, hand him my check, and take my toys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In the absence of a Robo toy to purchase, some have turned to making their own.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just go to Target and scribble CRYSTALS on all the Jurassic World toys.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I just go to Target and scribble CRYSTALS on all the Jurassic World toys.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I really need to remember where I put that gun.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lurdiak posted:

I think that's a cosplay, actually.

Isn't that this guy?:

Nephzinho posted:

I really need to remember where I put that gun.

I'd buy that. It's pretty, dang well-made.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Covok posted:

I'd buy that. It's pretty, dang well-made.

Oh, if only it had joints.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Oh, if only it had joints.

I'm ok with a statute-like deal. It's not like I'll be playing with it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Covok posted:

I'm ok with a statute-like deal.

Truth.

Covok posted:

It's not like I'll be playing with it.

Lie.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Covok posted:

I'm ok with a statute-like deal. It's not like I'll be playing with it.

I totally will be. Also, I would like to make stop motion films with it. :colbert:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There were Dr Dinosaur maquettes. Wish I had gotten one while they were available.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not enough crystals.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Recently, I've been reading over the Atomic Robo RPG again and I noticed the pictures of the psychic soviets as well as a few other images that I couldn't recognize. Were there some issues that I missed? I'd be glad to go find them.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Covok posted:

Recently, I've been reading over the Atomic Robo RPG again and I noticed the pictures of the psychic soviets as well as a few other images that I couldn't recognize. Were there some issues that I missed? I'd be glad to go find them.
Nope, it's new art just for the RPG.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Related to stuff only in the RPG so far, I'm super excited for the volume that will feature '60s Sparrow.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

TurninTrix posted:

Related to stuff only in the RPG so far, I'm super excited for the volume that will feature '60s Sparrow.
Fun Fact: the current series kinda sorta ties into the one where she pops up. We juggle references to things from Robo's past that readers don't yet know are in their future so often we have a term for it: beforeshadowing.

Not sure when we'll get around to it though. The story after Ring of Fire is our ode to classic Indiana Jones and to Asian Westerns like The Good, The Bad, The Weird and Let the Bullets Fly. And then the one after that should bring us back to the modern day to see how things are coming along in the aftermath of however the hell Ring of Fire ends.

So it might be a while.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

All of that sounds fantastic though, the only complaint I can make is that they should all come in faster. :v:

(Current page remark: Goddammit, Bernie.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TurninTrix posted:

(Current page remark: Goddammit, Bernie.)
I don't know which is funnier; the fact that Bernie picked those names, or that nobody else at Tesladyne has watched Hackers, even ironically.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

TurninTrix posted:

All of that sounds fantastic though, the only complaint I can make is that they should all come in faster. :v:
You think you got it bad, we plan these things years before you even hear of them!

So, The Ring of Fire will be followed by The Temple of Od and that's followed by, uh, poo poo, I don't think we have a name for the one after that yet. We should figure that one out.

After that we have a toss up. We're doing all of these eventually, we just don't know in what order. Definitely not chronological though, 'cause that's boring. Also it behooves us to cut back to the present day for every second or third story to see how things are progressing in The Weird Future.

There's our big '60s spy escapade with The Spear of Destiny. This would be the Sparrow II story. Probably Sparrow I too. She still hates Robo.

Or our big '70s blaxploitation (botsploitation?) opus with Diamonds are for Never. Heroes for Hire crossed with Leverage in the 1970s. Also, I appreciate the irony that we're not using the Bond-like title for the Bond-like story.

Or our big '80s cyberpunk foray with The Mirrorshade Overdrive. Wargames by way of Project Daedalus.

Or our big '90s action movie romp with The Soldiers of Fortune. A bunch of old school Cold War science agents get dragged out of retirement for one last big mission to save the world.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know which is funnier; the fact that Bernie picked those names, or that nobody else at Tesladyne has watched Hackers, even ironically.
My favorite thing about it is that Bernie is so square that was his go-to reference for a badass and hardcore crew of criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

The Mirrorshade Overdrive.

Objectively the best title.

• Locked thread