Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

but that would pull the kid away from their homework!

nah, he'd pick it up on the way back from cram school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TetsuoTW posted:

but that would pull the kid away from their homework!

I asked one of my students if he was scared by the typhoon, he said no. I asked him if he watched the typhoon, he said no. I asked him how come, he said he was doing Chinese homework. These poor freaking kids.

Sea Monkey
Nov 20, 2008

USDA Choice posted:

Where exactly?

Hope you speak Chinese, or even better Taiwanese, and have a local phone number. Pickings are slim online at sites like 591.com.tw for rural areas so you might need to drive around wherever you want to live and look for giant red and white signs that have the character 租 and then a phone number. Bring a friend/classmate/colleague/craigslist buddy that can help with the language if need be.

And be prepared to pay rent in cash.

TetsuoTW posted:

Also how long? Like if it's a vacation, you can probably find bed-and-breakfasts easy enough. If it's in a touristy-enough location you might be lucky enough to get English-capable operators, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

I'm thinking a few days here and there, mostly to go hiking and check out the scenery. I don't have any places in mind just yet (recommendations would also be appreciated). I can speak some Mandarin and it sounds like that should help a little bit.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Sea Monkey posted:

I'm thinking a few days here and there, mostly to go hiking and check out the scenery. I don't have any places in mind just yet (recommendations would also be appreciated). I can speak some Mandarin and it sounds like that should help a little bit.

I like Puli. It's in Nantou, near the center of Taiwan, near the Sun Moon Lake area. Good hiking, and a big-rear end lake nearby. There are a couple good hostels with English service; I stayed at one called Islet Inn and it was pretty cool and cheap and everyone spoke English. Really though there are hostels all over the place, and most of them have at least some English service.

It's a little inconvenient to get anywhere from there if you don't have a scooter though. There are buses, but if you wanna bus around everywhere you might as well just stay someplace in Taichung and take a bus out to the mountains. It's up to you, but Nantou and Hualien are the two most popular rural nature-y tourist areas I'd say.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

quadrophrenic posted:

I like Puli. It's in Nantou, near the center of Taiwan, near the Sun Moon Lake area. Good hiking, and a big-rear end lake nearby. There are a couple good hostels with English service; I stayed at one called Islet Inn and it was pretty cool and cheap and everyone spoke English. Really though there are hostels all over the place, and most of them have at least some English service.

It's a little inconvenient to get anywhere from there if you don't have a scooter though. There are buses, but if you wanna bus around everywhere you might as well just stay someplace in Taichung and take a bus out to the mountains. It's up to you, but Nantou and Hualien are the two most popular rural nature-y tourist areas I'd say.

After those two would probably be Alishan, which has a hotel/resort on the summit. Otherwise, you'd be riding the train/bus from Chiayi, in either case you'll not be far from an English speaker. Not really sure if there are any hotels/hostels between Chiayi and Alishan. You could also check out Guanzilin, which is a hot springs resort town not far from Chiayi (though technically "in Tainan City").

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

USDA Choice posted:

The best typhoon activities.

As a side note, my family visited Taiwan and my dad lost his wallet and phone in a bag with 喜餅. Two months later after being found and winding its way from the finder to police to immigration to AIT the stuff was returned without a single cent missing. I sure do miss Taiawn!

Sometimes Taiwanese people are TOO helpful. I left my wallet in a u-bike and realized what I had done about 2 minutes later. By the time I crossed the street and back, it was already gone (leading me to think that I had left it somewhere else instead). Turns out someone picked up it and immediately took it to the police station nearby.

Still not as impressive as Korea. My fiancee left her wallet in a taxi, and the taxi driver found it and delivered it to her at her school in another town the next day.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hi all! It's been a few years since I Iived in Taiwan and I'm headed back for a short vacation in September. I never made it out to Hualien and Taroko when I lived there, so it's number one on my must-see list. I unfortunately have an extremely short time in Taiwan this time around, only three days. I have a lot of stuff I want to do in Taipei. Is a full day (transport in the morning, explore, stay the night, back the next morning) enough for Taroko, or am I going to wish I had more time there? Also, what's the best way to get to and from Taipei/Taroko? And last, any guesthouse recommendations? Looking to stay anywhere on the Red Line in Taipei and anywhere convenient in Hualien.

Edit: Already booked my hotels, so no worries there.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 17, 2015

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Full day should be fine for Taroko I think

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Full day should be fine for Taroko I think

Excellent! I assume the best way to get around Taroko (staying in the Hualien city center) is to rent a scooter for the day, right? I drove a motorcycle when I was there last so I think it should be better than dealing with bus schedules.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Hey Taiwan Thread, looking for some advice...

I currently have a job that would basically let me work from anywhere remotely and they would especially love it if I could cover NYC graveyard shift hours, so East Asia would be perfect. I minored in Mandarin, but it's getting weak, so I'd really love to maybe do two or three years in Taiwan studying it while working.

Does anyone know what the minimum courseload I could be taking to qualify for a visa? I could probably get work to take me down to like 30 hours a week instead of 40, so I think I'd be cool with 1.5-2 hours a day/5 days a week of classes, plus some light homework. Does anyone know of any programs like that which would cover the visa?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

dantheman650 posted:

Excellent! I assume the best way to get around Taroko (staying in the Hualien city center) is to rent a scooter for the day, right? I drove a motorcycle when I was there last so I think it should be better than dealing with bus schedules.

Yeah, I imagine bussing around Taroko would be the biggest pain in the rear end, scooter's the way to go. There's a scooter shop outside of the Xincheng train station, as you leave, on the left hand side towards the road.

The best way to get down there would be to take a train to Xincheng, at the foot of the gorge. Best to buy one early though, or else you might have to stand up for 3 hours.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I currently have a job that would basically let me work from anywhere remotely and they would especially love it if I could cover NYC graveyard shift hours, so East Asia would be perfect. I minored in Mandarin, but it's getting weak, so I'd really love to maybe do two or three years in Taiwan studying it while working.

Does anyone know what the minimum courseload I could be taking to qualify for a visa? I could probably get work to take me down to like 30 hours a week instead of 40, so I think I'd be cool with 1.5-2 hours a day/5 days a week of classes, plus some light homework. Does anyone know of any programs like that which would cover the visa?

It may have changed but when I was on a student visa it was 15hrs/week to qualify.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I was discussing this at university last week and they told me that if you have a student visa, you can't work.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

House Louse posted:

I was discussing this at university last week and they told me that if you have a student visa, you can't work.

You can't work in Taiwan, but shouldn't it be ok for working remotely for the US? I mean, excepting doing something that has to do with doing business here.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

House Louse posted:

You can apply for a work permit in some cases to work legally. But literally no one in Taiwan would know/care if he's working remotely with a job in NYC.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

this is a stickup posted:

You can apply for a work permit in some cases to work legally. But literally no one in Taiwan would know/care if he's working remotely with a job in NYC.

Working remotely at a job in NYC would not legally require any paperwork in Taiwan afaik. My wife technically works in Tuvalu so she doesn't need a work permit.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah I mean half of Taiwanese society operates under the premise of "see nothing, say nothing (until you cross me)".

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah but still courteous to mention that your plan for the next few years might involve being working illegally, right?

duckfarts posted:

You can't work in Taiwan, but shouldn't it be ok for working remotely for the US? I mean, excepting doing something that has to do with doing business here.

Didn't think of it that way, so I dunno.

The other students on my course seems to be doing 14 hrs/week (2/3 hours, 4 days a week), roughly what you were talking about.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

House Louse posted:

Yeah but still courteous to mention that your plan for the next few years might involve being working illegally, right?

I don't know about Taiwan but this situation is kind of common and as long as he fulfills the requirements of his student visa it should be fine. I know a bunch of freelancers or guys who work remotely for US or Euro companies in Asia, even in stricter places like Japan, and they all seem to be fine. None are really putting down roots and move on after 6-12 months though, so maybe that's why?

The issue with working illegally is generally that someone generating NTD income from a Taiwanese company and not being taxed on it, but in this case he's generating USD income from a (presumably) US company and (hopefully??) being taxed on it there. Someone should find the legal print, but for MOST countries it's like "working illegally in X country" breaks the visa and this is kind of a grey area.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
Looks like there's another typhoon coming. The projections I've looked at have it turning northeasterly before hitting Taiwan, but the rain could be torrential. Not looking like the double typhoon that idiot meteorologist warned about, at least for now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

Looks like there's another typhoon coming. The projections I've looked at have it turning northeasterly before hitting Taiwan, but the rain could be torrential. Not looking like the double typhoon that idiot meteorologist warned about, at least for now.

There is a double typhoon, the second is hitting Japan. The first one looks like it'll hit from the South.

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/prevent/typhoon/ty.htm

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

The issue with working illegally is generally that someone generating NTD income from a Taiwanese company and not being taxed on it, but in this case he's generating USD income from a (presumably) US company and (hopefully??) being taxed on it there. Someone should find the legal print, but for MOST countries it's like "working illegally in X country" breaks the visa and this is kind of a grey area.

Having a source of income from outside the US while on a tourist or student visa in the US is legal, for example

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Taiwan wo ai ni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3h03ef8dWo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Taiwan Citibank Global Transfer is only available to Taiwanese citizens :argh: :argh: Just trying to soak Indonesian and Filipino immigrants from remittances I imagine.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Taiwan Citibank Global Transfer is only available to Taiwanese citizens :argh: :argh: Just trying to soak Indonesian and Filipino immigrants from remittances I imagine.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

:negative:

Are Permanent residents out of luck? Citizens only?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

入出國及移民法第62條 posted:

任何人不得以國籍、種族、膚色、階級、出生地等因素,對居住於臺灣地區之人民為歧視之行為。

Immigration Act, Article 62 posted:

Any person shall not discriminate against people residing in the Taiwan Area on the basis of nationality, race, color, class and place of birth.
You could always see if that scares them into not being dicks. I have the feeling most of that bullshit is predicated on them expecting us to take it like bitches. I don't expect it'd work, but sometimes all people need is the wind put up them. There's every chance it's like the whole "foreigners can't get credit cards" lie.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 18, 2015

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
My fiancée works at a bank and lol if you think claiming that it's discrimination will get you anywhere, unless you're loaded, which... you're probably not having problems in the first place. Getting an inside view of the banking industry here is downright scary sometimes, I have no idea if it's the same in the West but I don't think it is quite so bad. Taiwanese banks are a bunch of dinosaurs with varying degrees of ancientness.

I mean, it's Taiwan so you never know, you could get lucky and a manager might override a bunch of rules/SOP but again, unless you can offer them a good reason to, they typically won't, as usually foreigners are just more trouble for them. Especially if you're American. When FATCA went into effect, Citi Taiwan no longer even offered their services to Americans.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

a bunch of rules/SOP

This is the crux of the problem, really. A lot of people would love to help you, but it's either against the rules(sometimes) or they don't have an SOP to help you so there is no possible way to help you(most of the time) and they are unable to think of a way themselves so welp.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Getting an inside view of the banking industry here is downright scary sometimes, I have no idea if it's the same in the West but I don't think it is quite so bad. Taiwanese banks are a bunch of dinosaurs with varying degrees of ancientness.
No it's definitely not this bad. A colleague of mine's wife (IIRC) works in the industry and attended some international conference where basically every single person from outside of Taiwan that heard or learned anything about banking in Taiwan was aghast at what a ridiculously archaic clusterfuck it is. I mean for Christ's sake, I had to get a branch of the bank I bank with to fax a permission slip to like Taichung or something so they could let me take my own money out just because it was a different branch to the one I opened the account at in the same city. I don't know whether I was more surprised by the left hand/right hand split or the fact they still use fax machines.

Also yeah I have no actual faith waving law at them would do anything, because they're more scared of the boss than the actual law (because the law here is frequently a B-grade comedy act that can be bought off with minimal effort).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TetsuoTW posted:

You could always see if that scares them into not being dicks. I have the feeling most of that bullshit is predicated on them expecting us to take it like bitches. I don't expect it'd work, but sometimes all people need is the wind put up them. There's every chance it's like the whole "foreigners can't get credit cards" lie.

This is not like someone just told me. There were multiple documents from Citibank saying this. They had already started doing paperwork in the system when it asked if I was a citizen and they had to look and see.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

thegoat posted:

It may have changed but when I was on a student visa it was 15hrs/week to qualify.

This is really good to know, thanks.

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know about Taiwan but this situation is kind of common and as long as he fulfills the requirements of his student visa it should be fine. I know a bunch of freelancers or guys who work remotely for US or Euro companies in Asia, even in stricter places like Japan, and they all seem to be fine. None are really putting down roots and move on after 6-12 months though, so maybe that's why?

Bloodnose posted:

Having a source of income from outside the US while on a tourist or student visa in the US is legal, for example

As is this. From the sounds of it, it's not even really a question of Taiwan allowing it, since it's not happening on their soil (where I'm getting paid, NYC, being where I'd technically be working).

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

edit: actually, does anyone know anything about Chengchi's Mandarin program? This is supposedly the site, but it's been broken: http://mandarin.nccu.edu.tw/

Other than that, I was looking at National Central University's program (http://www.lc.ncu.edu.tw/main/clp/en/index.php), which looks like it'd be the easiest to manage schedule wise, since I could just do mornings. It's in Taoyuan though. Does anyone have any experience in Taoyuan? I get that it's near Taipei, but how convenient are they to each other in case I want to do some foreigner stuff in Taipei?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

NCCU is a good school, and IIRC has a p good reputation for languages that goes back to its origins as a training ground for KMT civil servants.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 19, 2015

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The slowest train between Taoyuan and Taipei Main Station is 37-38 minutes. If you catch an express that'll save you a few more minutes. There are also buses and stuff but I just usually take the train.

Taoyuan is alright, assuming you're in the city itself. It has the basic amenities and it's not that far away from the real big city experience. But it's pretty crowded and very much an "old style" Taiwanese city that never seemed to have any urban planning compared to what Taipei and a few other places are starting to benefit from now. Just build poo poo wherever, and hope it all works out, repeat as the city grows, and marvel at the mess you've created.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You'll also be fairly close to the HSR and the airport, so travel both in Taiwan and regionally will be fairly easy. It is a mess of a city, but it has a couple of good bars and of course a smattering of "famous" restaurants and shops. I've run into a fair mix of foreigners there, from teachers to flight simulator engineers. And as everyone else has said it's relatively connected to the big city. But you'll also be able to hop around to ZhongLi, Sanxia, and Yingge which have their own things to do.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Idea: combine giant rubber duck sculpture and bent mailboxes, conquer Taiwan while everyone is distracted.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

POCKET CHOMP posted:

The slowest train between Taoyuan and Taipei Main Station is 37-38 minutes. If you catch an express that'll save you a few more minutes. There are also buses and stuff but I just usually take the train.

Taoyuan is alright, assuming you're in the city itself. It has the basic amenities and it's not that far away from the real big city experience. But it's pretty crowded and very much an "old style" Taiwanese city that never seemed to have any urban planning compared to what Taipei and a few other places are starting to benefit from now. Just build poo poo wherever, and hope it all works out, repeat as the city grows, and marvel at the mess you've created.

Atlas Hugged posted:

You'll also be fairly close to the HSR and the airport, so travel both in Taiwan and regionally will be fairly easy. It is a mess of a city, but it has a couple of good bars and of course a smattering of "famous" restaurants and shops. I've run into a fair mix of foreigners there, from teachers to flight simulator engineers. And as everyone else has said it's relatively connected to the big city. But you'll also be able to hop around to ZhongLi, Sanxia, and Yingge which have their own things to do.

Looking on the map, it actually seems like National Central University (Zhongda?) is in Zhongli (is that the right spelling? I'm bad with non-pinyin romanizations....). How is that? Would I be in scooter commuting distance in Taoyuan? Is Zhongli so far out that I'd be bored out of my skull and should just look for a different school? I'm not sure how to calculate commute times for scooters, based on Google Maps' car driving estimates. I assume it's slower, but I don't know by how much.

I'm thinking everywhere but Taipei is "definitely get a scooter" territory. Is that basically true?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Looking on the map, it actually seems like National Central University (Zhongda?) is in Zhongli (is that the right spelling? I'm bad with non-pinyin romanizations....). How is that? Would I be in scooter commuting distance in Taoyuan? Is Zhongli so far out that I'd be bored out of my skull and should just look for a different school? I'm not sure how to calculate commute times for scooters, based on Google Maps' car driving estimates. I assume it's slower, but I don't know by how much.

I'm thinking everywhere but Taipei is "definitely get a scooter" territory. Is that basically true?

I used to live in Sanxia and would go into Taoyuan and Zhongli sometimes. There are buses and trains that go between them and a taxi ride is surprisingly affordable. That whole patch of Taoyuan County and New Taipei City is accessible by scooter, though that will depend on how long you are willing to sit on a scooter at any given time. In theory, it's entirely possible to scoot from ZhongLi to downtown Taipei. I've got a buddy who lives in Sanxia and commutes into Taoyuan daily for work. Given the roads, it might be easier than taking the local buses. But yeah, generally speaking if you're not downtown you definitely want to invest in a scooter, but they're cheap so it won't be a big deal at all.

As for being bored, that will fall entirely on you. There's a goon out in Yingge who seems to be doing alright. At least three goons have lived in Sanxia and enjoyed it well enough. And there have been other goons who got on just fine without being downtown. It will just depend on what you're expecting. There aren't going to be a lot of western style bars with loads of foreigners out partying. There will be plenty of places to get food and a beer and mingle with locals. The grocery stores will have minimal imports. You might go days without running into people who speak English well. Movie theaters might not have the best selection. But there's always going to be McDonald's and probably a Subway or two. And the apartments will likely be older with less modern facilities, but they will be large and cheap.

It's just what you make of it.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I used to live in Sanxia and would go into Taoyuan and Zhongli sometimes. There are buses and trains that go between them and a taxi ride is surprisingly affordable. That whole patch of Taoyuan County and New Taipei City is accessible by scooter, though that will depend on how long you are willing to sit on a scooter at any given time. In theory, it's entirely possible to scoot from ZhongLi to downtown Taipei. I've got a buddy who lives in Sanxia and commutes into Taoyuan daily for work. Given the roads, it might be easier than taking the local buses. But yeah, generally speaking if you're not downtown you definitely want to invest in a scooter, but they're cheap so it won't be a big deal at all.

As for being bored, that will fall entirely on you. There's a goon out in Yingge who seems to be doing alright. At least three goons have lived in Sanxia and enjoyed it well enough. And there have been other goons who got on just fine without being downtown. It will just depend on what you're expecting. There aren't going to be a lot of western style bars with loads of foreigners out partying. There will be plenty of places to get food and a beer and mingle with locals. The grocery stores will have minimal imports. You might go days without running into people who speak English well. Movie theaters might not have the best selection. But there's always going to be McDonald's and probably a Subway or two. And the apartments will likely be older with less modern facilities, but they will be large and cheap.

It's just what you make of it.

What would "cheap" mean out there, in terms of apartments? Making a slightly reduced NYC network engineer's salary with some of the rental prices I see quoted out here could result in some insane savings (read: student loan paydowns).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You'll probably be able to get a one room apartment for in the 3000-4000 NT range, though it won't necessarily be nice. Adding a bedroom or two shouldn't get you over 12,000NT. It will depend on how new the building is and where exactly it's located in the New Taipei or Taoyuan area. The closer you are to a metro area or to a transit hub, the more expensive it will be. I had a buddy in Sanxia paying ~12,000 NT for a fairly nice two bedroom with a separate kitchen and a large seating area, fully furnished and I imagine Sanxia is going to be a bit pricier than Taoyuan or ZhongLi. Full disclosure those aren't my areas of expertise.

And I forgot to mention, don't worry about "correct" spellings. Every road sign you see will have a different spelling, often within a city block of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

You'll probably be able to get a one room apartment for in the 3000-4000 NT range, though it won't necessarily be nice. Adding a bedroom or two shouldn't get you over 12,000NT. It will depend on how new the building is and where exactly it's located in the New Taipei or Taoyuan area. The closer you are to a metro area or to a transit hub, the more expensive it will be. I had a buddy in Sanxia paying ~12,000 NT for a fairly nice two bedroom with a separate kitchen and a large seating area, fully furnished and I imagine Sanxia is going to be a bit pricier than Taoyuan or ZhongLi. Full disclosure those aren't my areas of expertise.

And I forgot to mention, don't worry about "correct" spellings. Every road sign you see will have a different spelling, often within a city block of each other.

Sweet thanks. And I'm thinking that the romanization inconsistency will just make me less apt to use that as a crutch, and be more reliant on hanzi, so that's kind of a good thing.

Oh, how big of a scooter can you get with whatever version of the driver's license is easy to get? And is that big enough to take trips around Taiwan on? It seems like it'd be cool to go on little trips around the mountain towns and stuff that way.