Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Is the issue (re: distilling) that this forum is public? Because, like, TCC exists, and most of the things people talk about growing/making/consuming there aren't legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
drat is it a good feeling when a starter takes off after only an hour on the stir plate...

edit: look at this poo poo go after just an hour

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 17, 2015

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Tomorrow I have to go and get the dunder collected from the still and begin the aging in a bucket.

The dunder, I assume from context, being the leftover wash that you didn't distill off. You're going to age this in a bucket? To what end? Does it become the basis for the next wash?

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

Scarf posted:

drat is it a good feeling when a starter takes off after only an hour on the stir plate...

edit: look at this poo poo go after just an hour

Nice. I've stopped brewing for the moment because we're trying to sell our condo and move into a house so I miss this stuff, but I loving love starters. Just the idea of my little yeast buddies floating around in that flask turning sugars into alcohol makes me smile. Sometimes I feel like making a starter even when I have no use for one. I'm just compelled to have something fermenting at all times. I can't explain it, I know I'm not the only one.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's 85 degrees and I don't have AC.

Any tips to keep the temperature down on a beer I brewed yesterday? I used "Vermont Ale" yeast (aka Heady Topper yeast), which suggests 64-68 degrees, then raising to 70 degrees until stable gravity is reached. I placed my better bottle in a 8 gallon bucket and surrounded it with ice, but it had melted within 18 hours.

Unfortunately, my keezer isn't an option (it's full).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
put your fermenter in a big rubber tub/bathtub with cold water and frozen water bottles

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Unfortunately, my keezer isn't an option (it's full).

Full of kegged beer? You may just have to bail the kegs out for a while. It won't skunk the beer to get warm, despite common lore.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You can also wrap the fermenter in a towel/shirt partially submerged in the water. It will soak up water and as it evaporates helps keep temperatures down.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Today was my second all-grain brew day with my cooler mash tun. Today's lessons: Get that stupid locking mechanism off of the cooler's ball valve, and/or make sure the valve is actually closed before you start filling the cooler!

I was a little ticked that I was still right around 63% efficiency. But then I remembered that bigger beers tend to do worse, and this was 21 pounds of grain. Are there any rough rules of thumb for how you can expect your efficiency to be impacted as your grain bill gets heavier or lighter?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I was a little ticked that I was still right around 63% efficiency. But then I remembered that bigger beers tend to do worse, and this was 21 pounds of grain. Are there any rough rules of thumb for how you can expect your efficiency to be impacted as your grain bill gets heavier or lighter?

You kind of know worse case scenario now. It's always better to calculate worst case (getting more grain than you need by adding a pound or two of your base malt) and if you end up with more efficiency, you can always adjust your hop schedule accordingly. I always err on the side of low efficiency with the added benefit of more beer in the case I don't.

Also, to fix the efficiency problem, make sure you are giving the grains a good stir during mash. I think you said you built a mash-tun kind of like mine. Make sure that spoon gets in between the CPVC pipes to break up the mash, so the water can get to the grains. Make sure there are no doughballs. Seriously, stir the gently caress out of that grain in the mash and I do the same for my sparge. I'd say I stir at least 2-3 times during mash and 1-2 times during sparge-ish times.

I get right around 69-70% efficiency on 1.050-1.060 calculated worts and probably a 67-69% on 1.070+ worts. I don't do anything above 1.075 so I can't help you beyond that.

Remember you can always add DME if you are not happy with SG and a lot of people that do big beers (1.080+) go the route of calculating DME as part of their recipe anyways so they aren't spending a gently caress-ton on grain that doesn't convert.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 17, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jo3sh posted:

The dunder, I assume from context, being the leftover wash that you didn't distill off. You're going to age this in a bucket? To what end? Does it become the basis for the next wash?

Almost. Dunder is the word for rum backset, which is the leftover wash in the still after distilling. I can inoculate this with bacteria strains, mostly p. Shermanii (the stuff that makes holes in Swiss cheese) and c. Butyricum (a gut bacteria found in humans) that will create organic acids in the oxygen free environment of the dunder. When added back to the new wash after fermentation starts they will work with the yeast to make ester chains that give you the pineapple, bubble gum, rummy smells and flavors during distillation.

It's why saving dunder is so important in rum. It's basically the same as sour mash in bourbon, but using pure bacterial strains we can control the inputs of the ester chains we desire to create. As these bad boys then age in the oak the esterification process completes adding the vanilla, cardamom, caramel and butterscotch flavors and aromas you find in nice old rums.

It's loving science!!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's loving science!!

Yay science! It's the best.

I add DME or LME to any recipe over 1.075 ish. I don't see the point in lower efficiencies when I can hit my numbers without wasting grain or picking up odd flavors. Strong Scotch ales of 1.120+ won't notice the extract, and with the low hop schedule anyway, the only reason to go with mega grain bills is for two beers in one bill and/or a double mash.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

LaserWash posted:

Remember you can always add DME if you are not happy with SG and a lot of people that do big beers (1.080+) go the route of calculating DME as part of their recipe anyways so they aren't spending a gently caress-ton on grain that doesn't convert.

Yeah, I actually had supplies on hand to do this this time, so ended up getting the gravity right where I wanted. Just need to actually plan on it next time.

Walked down to the basement this morning to check on things. As I was on the steps, thought to myself, "Thats odd, wonder why I can smell the fermentation already."

Oh. Well at least I know it's active! Grabbed a ladle and sanitized it, went to town scooping up and got the lid buttoned back together. Blow off line didn't appear blocked or anything, apparently this was just too fast and too much foam for it to keep up?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I put a blowoff tube on everything for the first 3 or 4 days. I've woken up in the morning to too many scenes just like that one.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Yeah, I actually had supplies on hand to do this this time, so ended up getting the gravity right where I wanted. Just need to actually plan on it next time.

Walked down to the basement this morning to check on things. As I was on the steps, thought to myself, "Thats odd, wonder why I can smell the fermentation already."

Oh. Well at least I know it's active! Grabbed a ladle and sanitized it, went to town scooping up and got the lid buttoned back together. Blow off line didn't appear blocked or anything, apparently this was just too fast and too much foam for it to keep up?

Jesus. What are you brewing and what yeast?

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
It's an imperial black ale, and it's just on Wyeast 1056. I think I was being a bit greedy on my harvest from the kettle, and I've got the bucket too full.

e: Oh god, it's trying to explode again. Glad I have the day off to look after this. If I press down on top of the lid it seems to build enough pressure to blast stuff out through the blow off line. If I set a 45 pound weight plate on this thing, do I just create a pressure bomb or do I keep the line moving? Decisions...

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 18, 2015

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
I might just leave the top off while it is at high krausen. It is not likely to get infected unless something falls in it. It looks like you're gonna have a hard time keeping that contained otherwise.

Just put the lid on it again as soon as it slows down.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's loving science!!

That's actually really fascinating. What size barrels do you use, and do you use new ones, or refill old ones? And if you're getting ~1.5L of heart and tail out of a 4 gallon wash, you must have to distill a lot of washes to fill even a five gallon barrel, yes?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

It's an imperial black ale, and it's just on Wyeast 1056. I think I was being a bit greedy on my harvest from the kettle, and I've got the bucket too full.

e: Oh god, it's trying to explode again. Glad I have the day off to look after this. If I press down on top of the lid it seems to build enough pressure to blast stuff out through the blow off line. If I set a 45 pound weight plate on this thing, do I just create a pressure bomb or do I keep the line moving? Decisions...

The guy who got me into homebrewing had this happen once on an IRS. He ended up using a ratchet strap to keep the lid on.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jo3sh posted:

That's actually really fascinating. What size barrels do you use, and do you use new ones, or refill old ones? And if you're getting ~1.5L of heart and tail out of a 4 gallon wash, you must have to distill a lot of washes to fill even a five gallon barrel, yes?

No barrels yet. We are really just getting started, only been doing it for a few months, so I haven't produced anything I would spend the money on a barrel for. At 300 bucks for a 5 gallon French oak barrel I wouldn't use anything I didn't KNOW was going to be good,

Right now we are using infusion spirals.

The dark one is 1 quart of the hearts and tails I liked mixed together to 125 proof and the wood added two days ago (it gets loving dark quick, and is is a little 3/4 inch long piece of the spiral I broke off)

The layered one I put the same size spiral in about 5 minutes before I took the photo, that's 950 mL. This is a run of clean hearts that came out at about 160 proof I'm testing by proofing it down to 90 and aging. I'm not sure if it will pick up the flavors I want with the water but it's worth a test. Allegedly it will pick up more vanilla and sugar notes at 90-100 proof than at the 125 (which is bourbon proof strength).

I will know in 6 weeks though!

Edit: after this we are going to ramp up a bit buy putting together a 15 gallon still. It will allow me to pull 5 gallons of low wines on a stripping run to put through the nice copper finishing still we have for the spirit run, which would net me about 3 gallons of rum. That way I can strip multiple 15 gallon batches to save for a big spirit run. That's when you can really play with the cuts and find all the notes you want by getting 100 little bottles and smelling and tasting them and blending what you want into the final product. Best part is everything you don't want gets tossed in a bottle and added back into the next spirit run. No wasting.

I chose to focus on rums since I like them, my buddy is doing whiskey. He gets the hard part of mashing and malting and all that bullshit. All I have to do is dump molasses and sugar into a loving tub and add yeast and dunder. GO RUM!!

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 18, 2015

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I'm shockingly interested. Is there a book you can recommend on the topic?

Also, the mash is easy - for whiskey, I would think it would be even easier than for beer, since there's no (as I understand) need to remove the solids. Crush malt, soak in hot water to conversion (~60 minutes), let cool, pitch yeast.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 19, 2015

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Anybody know where I can find a reasonably priced (under $300) 10-15 gallon oak barrel? I'm looking for something for sours I brew, but it seems like most cheap barrels are second use whiskey/bourbon barrels.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Anybody know where I can find a reasonably priced (under $300) 10-15 gallon oak barrel? I'm looking for something for sours I brew, but it seems like most cheap barrels are second use whiskey/bourbon barrels.

Are you looking for new barrels? I've only seen used ones for reasonable prices.

Farmhouse has them used. I think they just discounted them from 150 to 130 +shipping for 10g used oak rum barrels. They get them in from time to time, if you are interested you can get them to email you when they are in stock. Sometimes they sell out fast. They have had rum, bourbon and occasionally wine barrels. Almost always 10g.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've never brewed with whole cone hops, just pellets. But my first year hops plants made cones, so I harvested, but I don't really know if it's enough. About half a sandwich bag each or Northern Brewer and Comet.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've never brewed with whole cone hops, just pellets. But my first year hops plants made cones, so I harvested, but I don't really know if it's enough. About half a sandwich bag each or Northern Brewer and Comet.

Almost certainly not likely. Beyond that, you have no idea what the AA on those are. It's pretty hard to do a batch on your own hops unless you're just gambling. I got a cereal bowls of hops from the harvest of my first year plants. It weighed a little over an ounce, which is the equivalent of maybe .2oz of pellet hops. I tossed them in at the end of a boil for some aroma. Also, are you planning on drying them? If not, you should have waited until brew day to harvest them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

They're in the deep freeze. Anyway, what's the conversation of pellet hops to cone? Is it constant to what you post above?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Der Penguingott posted:

Are you looking for new barrels? I've only seen used ones for reasonable prices.

Farmhouse has them used. I think they just discounted them from 150 to 130 +shipping for 10g used oak rum barrels. They get them in from time to time, if you are interested you can get them to email you when they are in stock. Sometimes they sell out fast. They have had rum, bourbon and occasionally wine barrels. Almost always 10g.

New or Used is fine, I just want something that will go well with your more basic sour. Definitely sign me up for their e-mails - bagofsunchips[at] gmail.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Der Penguingott posted:

There were some used whisky 5g that came by on HomeBrewFinds, but they're about the same price as the 10g that Farmhouse has.

I almost pulled the trigger on it today, but that's because 5g is the right size for me. I'd love to do 10, but I need to start smaller with it still because of space.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

So. Building and staining the collar for my new keezer wrapped up this afternoon, I bring it home aaand... it's slightly out of square. By about 3/16". If I strap this to something stable and put a bunch of weight on top will it straighten out?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jo3sh posted:

I'm shockingly interested. Is there a book you can recommend on the topic?

Also, the mash is easy - for whiskey, I would think it would be even easier than for beer, since there's no (as I understand) need to remove the solids. Crush malt, soak in hot water to conversion (~60 minutes), let cool, pitch yeast.

The Guide to Urban Moonshining by Kings County Distillery is an awesome book to start with. Lots of history on whiskey, the major players, trees of different washes they go with to get their stuff and the practical knowledge they learned going from home distilling to a full on micro distillery.

Also you say mashing is easy, and in practice it is. But getting 5-6% from your wash vs my 12-14% is a poo poo load of product differential. After doing a few whiskey runs the first rum run blew our minds with how much high proof liquor was coming off the still and for how long it stayed high. We pulled almost a liter of 160 proof hearts off of 4 gallons and still were able to pull another 750 mL of 125+ and another full liter after that before we dropped into the tails range of under 115 proof.

It's ridiculous how much alcohol converts off a sugar/molasses wash.

One of the most amusing moments we had was drawing off the fore shots and the beginning of the heads, the first 100 mL that comes out, which contains all the methanol and wood alcohols that can kill you. We threw it in the tube and dropped the alcoholmeter in there and started laughing in disbelief. It was reading 200 proof. Straight 100 percent lethal alcohol. The next 100 mL came out at about 190. When we tasted it (because we just had to) it punched you right in the face.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 19, 2015

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

New or Used is fine, I just want something that will go well with your more basic sour. Definitely sign me up for their e-mails - bagofsunchips[at] gmail.

Unfortunately I don't work there and can't sign you up!

If you go to their website you can sign up on the bottom of the page for the newsletter.

Or you can email them at farmhousebarrels [at]gmail.

I'm not sure if they have any of the last batch left, but they will definitely let you know when they have more.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

bengy81 posted:

NOT POST YOUR RECIPE FOR DELICIOUS LAMBIC BEERS!!!!

60% pils, 40% raw wheat with a grueling turbid mash. Anything radically different is not a lambic. :colbert:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They're in the deep freeze. Anyway, what's the conversation of pellet hops to cone? Is it constant to what you post above?

The rule of thumb I've heard is that wet hops have about 5-6x less utilization by weight.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pellet to dry cone (by weight) is effectively the same. There's apparently a slight difference in bitterness utilization between pellet and cone, but it's not much. Fresh (i.e. wet) cones weigh about 5x more than dried cones in water weight, so it's about 5oz wet to 1oz dry. Either dry them and save them if you can vacuum seal them, or just dump them in at flameout.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Good advice. Thanks.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

JawKnee posted:

So. Building and staining the collar for my new keezer wrapped up this afternoon, I bring it home aaand... it's slightly out of square. By about 3/16". If I strap this to something stable and put a bunch of weight on top will it straighten out?

Do you mean out of square as viewed from the top? Or twisted such that it will not sit flat/ let the lid sit flat on top of it?

The first one is easy, the second is too provided that you can actually push on it to get it flat. In those cases, good construction adhesive to the top of the freezer should take care of it just fine, as long as you lock it in place while you cure it.

If the collar is heavy enough that you were not planning on gluing it down, this might be a bit more tricky. Out of square from above view should be fixable by trying to push on it a little, but if it's twisted I think you'll have a hard time trying to bend that sort of problem out - it will just spring back over time. Do you still have access to the screw heads that you could make any adjustment that way? Might want to get fancy with some sort of custom weather striping or foam seat to anchor the collar in.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I do plan on epoxying it to the freezer, and it is in fact out in both dimensions - slightly twisted, and slightly a trapezoid. The twisted issue I had to deal with on my last keezer - I weighted the 4 corners down with kegs full of water for a day or so then immediately epoxied it to the freezer.

Getting the trapezoid back to a rectangle shape is the issue I'm trying to deal with atm. I've currently got it up on one side (so, not positioned how it's going to sit, but sitting on one of it's small faces), strapped to a post that isn't going anywhere, and weighted down on the raised corner with about 40lbs of weight. I'll have to see whether it fixes the problem.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mad.radhu posted:

yeah, one of these things.

Mad, have you had a chance to use this thing yet? Any thoughts?

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

JawKnee posted:

Getting the trapezoid back to a rectangle shape is the issue I'm trying to deal with atm. I've currently got it up on one side (so, not positioned how it's going to sit, but sitting on one of it's small faces), strapped to a post that isn't going anywhere, and weighted down on the raised corner with about 40lbs of weight. I'll have to see whether it fixes the problem.

Have a couple quick-grip pump handle type clamps? Or big-ish c clamps? Grab a 2x4 or sturdy scrap wood and attach 2 cleats to it, that will fit just inside the collar when the 2x4 is laid over the top of the two "long" corners. Then you can clamp against the cleats and the over-extended corners to force it into square. This should let you move the collar around while getting the position dialed in and held, and still leave plenty of space for weights to hold in place while gluing.

Just make sure the cleats are firmly attached, because you won't have a lot of space or area to secure then with unless you have gigantic clamps handy. Also many of those quick grip clamps can be turned around to spreader mode, so you might have more luck putting the cleats on the outside of the collar and pushing it back to square, rather than pulling from the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Have a couple quick-grip pump handle type clamps? Or big-ish c clamps? Grab a 2x4 or sturdy scrap wood and attach 2 cleats to it, that will fit just inside the collar when the 2x4 is laid over the top of the two "long" corners. Then you can clamp against the cleats and the over-extended corners to force it into square. This should let you move the collar around while getting the position dialed in and held, and still leave plenty of space for weights to hold in place while gluing.

Just make sure the cleats are firmly attached, because you won't have a lot of space or area to secure then with unless you have gigantic clamps handy. Also many of those quick grip clamps can be turned around to spreader mode, so you might have more luck putting the cleats on the outside of the collar and pushing it back to square, rather than pulling from the inside.

thanks for the advice, I've managed to get it back to square, hopefully without compromising the integrity of the joins, did hear a pretty ominous amount of creaking but no splits visible. Currently the collar is very heavily weighted down on the drying epoxy (about 200 lbs of weight on it)