Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fabricated posted:

man really just wants to fuckin retire
He pretty obviously does so that's what makes it annoying

stop dragging grandpa into your fights your assholes dude just wants to loving sit down

On the other the fact you feel sympathy toward a character is a sign the writing at least works a little!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Minter
Jul 22, 2015

You gotta be so predictable that it's unpredictable

Fabricated posted:

man really just wants to fuckin retire

If he retired wouldnt he lose the title of being one of the ten wizard saints? Or would he get to keep the title even in retirement? Also since Laxus beat one of the saints wouldnt that make Laxus a saint?

Carlton Minter
Jul 22, 2015

You gotta be so predictable that it's unpredictable
Also where in gods name is Guildarts in all of this? In my opinion he could hold his own against demons.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Carlton Minter posted:

Also where in gods name is Guildarts in all of this? In my opinion he could hold his own against demons.
He's there to show up and be so much more badass than everyone else that you wonder what the point of the 50 training arcs between his last appearance even meant for the main cast, since they should obviously just follow him around.

He's also this strong while being a clump of organs held together by anime bandages, since he fought the stupid death dragon thing one-on-one and got his rear end handed to him.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Carlton Minter posted:

A top wizard in Alvarez, of course.

Also there's a new chapter, but its a setup for a series of setup chapters.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah I have been enjoying the last month or so of this series but I am not super pumped about what will certainly be a bizarrely melodramatic flashback focusing on the two worst characters in the series, and won't really matter. just stop trying to pace and do what you do best mashima

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Simoom posted:

Yeah I have been enjoying the last month or so of this series but I am not super pumped about what will certainly be a bizarrely melodramatic flashback focusing on the two worst characters in the series, and won't really matter. just stop trying to pace and do what you do best mashima

How can we possibly have more Jellal flashbacks?

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
holy poo poo i actually forgot about Jellal. i forgot about jellal entirely.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So who is also jellal this time?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Fabricated posted:

So who is also jellal this time?
Honestly I'm still confused about the Jellal saga. I have no idea what actually transpired or who he was.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Back when I started reading this I assumed Jellal's hair was red like Erza's.

I don't know why but I feel like I would hate him a lot less if his hair was red like Erza's

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Honestly I'm still confused about the Jellal saga. I have no idea what actually transpired or who he was.

The short version is he was a good kid, got corrupted or possessed or something, grew up evil, had a doppelganger spy in the magic council, turned good again after losing to Natsu, showed up again later with no evil memories, let himself get arrested, broke out, and is currently an outlaw vigilante or something. Mystogan was alt. universe Jellal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TriffTshngo posted:

The short version is he was a good kid, got corrupted or possessed or something, grew up evil, had a doppelganger spy in the magic council, turned good again after losing to Natsu, showed up again later with no evil memories, let himself get arrested, broke out, and is currently an outlaw vigilante or something. Mystogan was alt. universe Jellal.

Nah he did not turn good after losing to Natsu. He turned good after losing his memories.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah he did not turn good after losing to Natsu. He turned good after losing his memories.

Didn't he disappear or was presumed dead from the end of that arc until he showed back up halfway through Oracion Seis?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, it was something like that. I think he was dead and then one of the Oracion Seis revived him without his memories?

Also, that doppelganger in the Magic Council was just a magical clone he made of himself, and who he later killed while en route to activating Etherion.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Suspicious Lump posted:

He is a cool looking dude who hangs out with Cobra now and will fight bad wizards with fairy tail!

It is best to legitimately address Fairy Tail utilizing the same logic your brain had when you were like, nine.

I kept turning the page of this chapter hoping for more mugshots of the facepunchees but then ugh. Thankfully this is Fairy Tail so it's like 50% chance someone punches someone and the flashback is interrupted, and/or the flashback is three pages long.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

TriffTshngo posted:

I really appreciate this. What happend to Mystogan? How did he lose his memories?

Nahxela posted:

Yeah, it was something like that. I think he was dead and then one of the Oracion Seis revived him without his memories?

Also, that doppelganger in the Magic Council was just a magical clone he made of himself, and who he later killed while en route to activating Etherion.
What? Now I'm confused again.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

I really appreciate this. What happend to Mystogan? How did he lose his memories?

Mystogan just stayed behind in Edolas after that arc was done. And I honestly have no idea how Jellal lost his memories aside from generic anime "i got rekt and instead of dying i got amnesia" syndrome.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I still find it hilarious how Jellal went through all that effort with a decade long evil plan to resurrect a guy who wasn't even dead to begin with.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Everyone in the cast is secretly Jellal. Including the cats.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I just started reading this, hopefully it'll catch my interest. I can't get over how much it looks like One Piece though.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Fabricated posted:

Everyone in the cast is secretly Jellal. Including the cats.

still funny

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Avulsion posted:

I still find it hilarious how Jellal went through all that effort with a decade long evil plan to resurrect a guy who wasn't even dead to begin with.

The entire Tower and Jellal, Erza and the Seis being slaves there was pointless as the guy was not dead.

Pretty much they suffered for no reason.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
The latest episode of Fairy Tail has a filler (Or is it padding?) plot that reveals (Assuming this is canon) what happened to Rusty Rose of Grimoire Heart after the Tenroujima arc. A burning question that has no doubt been on everyone's mind. :v:

I almost got mad because in the preview it looked like they brought back Zancrow (Who died) and Azuma (Who also died.) And then on top of that it ended up not being a flashback to before the Tenroujima arc. But then I remembered his magic power and sure enough...

Nahxela posted:

It was Wendy who revived him (She knew Mystogan and thought that was him, so part of his 'amnesia' was due to being the wrong Jellal.)

Also Siegrain wasn't a clone, nor was he killed, it was just a magical projection.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The entire Tower and Jellal, Erza and the Seis being slaves there was pointless as the guy was not dead.

Pretty much they suffered for no reason.

They suffered as part of Ultear's plan to distract the Magic Council from Grimoire Heart's activities.

Hilariously, Master Hades himself later fell victim to the same trap of believing bogus facts about Zeref and doing a lot of pointless work because of it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nuebot posted:

So I just started reading this, hopefully it'll catch my interest. I can't get over how much it looks like One Piece though.
The art gets a lot stronger as it goes and moves away from looking like a weird One Piece. Some of the stuff Fairy Tail pulls off is actually very visually impressive, much like Bleach the art has a huge variance as the artist gives or doesn't give a poo poo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

The art gets a lot stronger as it goes and moves away from looking like a weird One Piece. Some of the stuff Fairy Tail pulls off is actually very visually impressive, much like Bleach the art has a huge variance as the artist gives or doesn't give a poo poo.

Unlike Bleach, the quality is tits determined rather than Kenpachi determined

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spiderdrake posted:

There are 4 things that the artist 110% gives a crap about.
  • Tittays
  • Dragons
  • Dat rear end
  • Things getting punched

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Gyges posted:

• Tittays
  • Dragons
  • Dat rear end
  • Things getting punched

Note that clothes aren't on this list. There is a reason for that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Granted, but I'll give at least a little credit for most characters who aren't Natsu generally having some variety in what they're wearing, however briefly that may be for some characters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Most of the characters are at least half naked most of the time. I am okay with this.

This series actually grew on me pretty quick though, it still feels very one-piece but in mostly good ways.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I will say many things about Hiro Mashima but he absolutely doesn't deserve any comparisons to Kubo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rodyle posted:

I will say many things about Hiro Mashima but he absolutely doesn't deserve any comparisons to Kubo.

yeah when it comes to pacing Mashima needs to learn to slow down a little. Still it's a way better then having having bleach's pacing issues.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Monaghan posted:

yeah when it comes to pacing Mashima needs to learn to slow down a little. Still it's a way better then having having bleach's pacing issues.

It's very refreshing to see a mangaka who when they write themselves into a corner just says gently caress it, and wraps things up by the end of the issue instead of taking months to laboriously figure a way out. He's honest with both himself and the reader that the solution is going to be Natsu punching something.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't care about the retarded plot of this manga I just care about Lucy and Erza's amazing bazongas and rear end and Natsu punching suckers in the face. Peace out!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The author has gotten fantastic at introducing fanservice and making it look completely natural. Like Lucy climbing the train, great angel for rear end shot! He also does characters relatively well IMO. I love Grey and my favorite female character is Juvia, she used to be a lot better as a character but now shes just some second class citizne for maybe an rear end shot and bothering Grey to marry her.

Also if you read my posts the plot makes no loving sense.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mashima's greatest failing in this manga has, if anything, not letting Gray keep that red mage hat way back when

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rodyle posted:

The only comparison I made is that both manga can be a little bit average in terms of art then ramp it up hard when the artist gets into it.

Fairy Tail is about as close to Bleach as ... I don't know, getting a slurpee is to sitting in the dentist's waiting room. They're both in buildings, the end. FT has completed three or nine different arcs in the time since Bleach went on break to get ready to finish its final year. And then the lieutenant picked up the dog and carried him off into the sunset.

Gyges posted:

• Tittays
  • Dragons
  • Dat rear end
  • Things getting punched
He's pretty okay at drawing T&A but I did mean Dragons and Things getting punched.

I think some of his buildings are pretty cool looking too.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mashima's greatest failing in this manga has, if anything, not letting Gray keep that red mage hat way back when

Yes! I actually have a keychain figure of Gray wearing that hat.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mashima draws pretty rad dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
He's a fantastic artist.

He's just the most bland, blatantly derivative writer I've ever read. He'll write anything he thinks will make his story sell more to more people.

• Locked thread