Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Scathach posted:

Yeah balut sounds chewy. I don't deal with fatty-chewy textures. Ugh.

These are bars made from cricket flour.

Oh, so Fig Newtons then?

Dunno why the phrase "up to 17% non-vegetable protein" is stuck in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Fishstick posted:

..Head Cheese

It's really rich tasting and depending on the spices it adds a lot of flavor to a cold sandwich. The only real thing to consider is adding enough 'other stuff' so there isn't so much emphasis on the jelly-texture. I get it from my local supermarket but have them slice it as thin as possible. It's a rare item for me though.

I'm 20-something, and a lot of the time when I order it the person behind the deli counter will ask, "are you sure?" or "do you know what it is?". It's funny because the stuff smells and tastes way better than spam. I'd definitely rather eat a piece of Head Cheese than a Slim Jim which smells like feet and releases a foul tasting acid in your mouth in response to being bitten.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Head cheese is a traditional spread that's very popular here in Denmark, especially around Christmas. It's so good on Danish rye bread with mustard and pickled beets.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

After knowing how it's made, I just can't handle Haggis. I mean... just look at it.

When I was in Scotland, we ate haggis and black pudding every day as part of a proper Scottish breakfast. It works wonders when you're going out hiking in the highlands, tons of energy in that stuff.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

What is that in the back, a wall-gazy pie?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Code Jockey posted:

What is that in the back, a wall-gazy pie?

I want to know what the gently caress the gravy covered things are. My money's on testicles.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I want to know what the gently caress the gravy covered things are. My money's on testicles.
"Eggs, they say. Eggs. Really? Not Alien-fetus skulls in butterscotch sauce? Eggs? Not lumps of mashed potatoes soaked with cocoa power and dipped in gravy?"

Although I believe French is like other languages in that oeufs can be slang for testicles. So you may not be wrong.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Kakairo posted:

So when are we having the big aspic buffet?

When we need to prove that we are richer than everyone else in the neighborhood because we have a refrigerator. Jesus Christ, do I have to explain everything to you?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I'd try the bug stuff locally if I had the chance or if it wasn't $30 for six bars online.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

constantinople posted:

When we need to prove that we are richer than everyone else in the neighborhood because we have a refrigerator. Jesus Christ, do I have to explain everything to you?

Hey, grumpy, maybe having some green beans and olives in beef jello will make you feel better?

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

tribbledirigible posted:

Hey, grumpy, maybe having some green beans and olives in beef jello will make you feel better?

Only if it will be chilled for my party in an attractive shape. I will show my boss and he will give me a raise for how well I take care of my wife and her cooking appliances.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

constantinople posted:

Only if it will be chilled for my party in an attractive shape. I will show my boss and he will give me a raise for how well I take care of my wife and her cooking appliances.

Your choice of smiling fish crescent, cocky rooster, or corrugated dome.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

constantinople posted:

But, if you want the BIG promotion, you're going to have to let him have your wife. Maybe you should sit outside on the patio for a bit.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I would totally go to a goonmeet hosted by this thread where we just had a big buffet table of the worst things

The hell if I'm eating casu marzu or balut but I would probably attempt the ramen sundae [as long as we had a platter of insulin shots]

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Scathach posted:

I tried these today and they taste like goat meat. And goats taste like goats smell: goat piss. I am not impressed. The only way to eat goat is covered in spices so as to not taste it.

I had these while completely smashed, and membered liking them even though when I burped the next day it tasted like gyro chips.

So these are great if you're drunk.

5.5:10. Would gyro chip again.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Lonely Virgil posted:

even though when I burped the next day it tasted like gyro chips.

Except instead of "even though," you mean "especially because?"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is a Engraved Chicken Aspic. All Craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with pimento pieces and Basic Blender Mayonnaise. On the item is an image of a dwarf eating a chicken aspic. The dwarf is screaming.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

They don't taste amazing.

I've had them once, and the thing about sushi is that it's about subtle flavors. A bit of soy sauce should be the strongest flavor there and never enough to coverup the taste of the fish and rice. Deep frying sushi destroys all of this and all you end up tasting is batter, mushiness, and whatever sauces they decide to put on top.

This is insanely wrong and just makes me think you haven't had great fried sushi. A place called Mojo near me has great normal sushi and fried sushi and the fried sushi is possibly the most ridiculously delicious thing I've ever had.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

He's right, though. Sushi is supposed to be about the subtle flavors of the fish with a little bit of soy sauce. Frying it and drowning it in glop aren't the ideal ways to eat it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Efexeye posted:

He's right, though. Sushi is supposed to be about the subtle flavors of the fish with a little bit of soy sauce. Frying it and drowning it in glop aren't the ideal ways to eat it.

Sushi is about enjoying sushi how you like your sushi.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Efexeye posted:

It tastes really good when you do it right which invalidates any argument against it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Efexeye posted:

It's like you've never even met an American before.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm an American and there's no dearth of deep fried poo poo covered in glop around here. Sushi is a nice change from that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Efexeye posted:

I'm an American and there's no dearth of deep fried poo poo covered in glop around here. Sushi is a nice change from that.

Nobody is demanding all the sushi you eat from now on be deep fried you weirdos

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Efexeye posted:

So how about this:

We'll eat our sushi how we like it.

You eat your sushi how you like it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

As long as we all agree that you're doing it wrong

you like your sushi fried because you are nekulturny

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

Except instead of "even though," you mean "especially because?"

I don't know the burps tasted like sour cream&onion and beef flavor Top Ramen season. It's the same kind of burps I got when I ate dried ramen with seasoning when I was younger. Chips would have a solid 6 if not for the burps.

e: they did make me crave a gyro. especially one from this place around me that uses real geek yogurt and red onions on theirs.

Lonely Virgil has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Aug 19, 2015

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Frying sushi is like boiling a steak; sure, you can do it, in the same way a 4 year old can fight Muhammad Ali

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Efexeye posted:

Yeah, people are always ruining sushi with their deep fried stuff.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Dilb posted:

Yeah, people are always ruining sushi with their deep fried stuff.

yeah, okay, you got me, that's technically sushi

but they are talking about stuff like this

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Efexeye posted:

Frying sushi is like boiling a steak; sure, you can do it, in the same way a 4 year old can fight Muhammad Ali

Boiling a steak would taste like poo poo. Frying sushi has tasted incredible every time I've had it. You would have to actively ignore that to try and compare the two things.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
We must secure the existence of Fish for the future of our White Rice.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a perfectly good Hot Dog Sushi Roll. Well, almost perfect, but some IDIOT FUCKER forgot the ketchup! The American cheese looks nice and thick though

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I mean i really don't feel all THAT strongly about it? but whatever that thing is, looks gross. Roe, spicy mayo, avocado, sesame seeds, soy, what i think is some kind of fish, rice, then i think a hot dog. And then fried? it does not look good to me.

Edit: especially compared to this delicious freshness:

boar guy has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Aug 19, 2015

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I eat hot dogs with ketchup.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

WHy is it a different color? :stonk:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

WHy is it a different color? :stonk:

It's all the same color.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
It's black and gold.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

I eat hot dogs with ketchup.

hell, hold the hot dog, a bowl of ketchup nuked in the microwave is a pretty decent dinner if you're on a budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Aesop Poprock posted:

Boiling a steak would taste like poo poo. Frying sushi has tasted incredible every time I've had it. You would have to actively ignore that to try and compare the two things.

Boiled beef requires a lot of Worcestershire/fish/hot )or all three, gently caress it) sauce. It *can* be done but it's along the same line of logic of cloning dinosaurs.

Protip, lose the fat, slice it thin, and boil it quick and fast. Pho Tai is how boiled meat should be, if you're just throwing a fat chunk of beef in hot water you may as well piss on the cow's carcass for all the respect you're doing to it.

• Locked thread