Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

PhoenixWing posted:

I want the CHP to run some sort of campaign saying lane splitting is legal for all the angry fuckwits in my area. I've just gotten my license after passing the riding test and having my permit for 6 months, but, still like to practice every day. There's nice outlets near the mall that have an unfinished parking lot to the side, and I've been practicing u-turns, threshold braking and one foot stopping for the past few weeks there since it's huge and always empty. The exit to this area though is horribly designed - Traffic always seems to back up through the whole area, as the lights let only a handful of cars out at a time. Instead of dying in the 100+ degree heat, I do the smart thing and filter between two turn lanes to the front. Normally I get a few honks for whatever reason, but, today I had two cars I was filtering past blast their horn and attempt to block my path by swerving out of their lane :confused: And some guy at the very front in his truck yell something about cheating to me (Light went green, didn't wait around for angry truck guy).

I don't understand either, there's plenty of bikes in the area, and virtually all of them filter, so, this can't be a new concept to these people. I guess something about being stuck in a slowly moving traffic jam in the fancy part of town brings out the worst in people. Just a simple "Blocking motorcycles filtering is illegal, blah blah" on TV is all I'd like.

These are the same people, of course, who upon seeing you roasting in the sun or getting soaked in a downpour while waiting your turn(!) will think happy :smug: thoughts about their choice of transportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Actual cheating would be getting a car on stilts.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Wtf is 1 foot stopping?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Ask Revmoo.

(I would assume that it refers to stopping at a light while keeping your foot on the rear brake and your other foot on the ground (Though as motorcyclists we obv already have one foot in the grave anyway)?)

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 17, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

captainOrbital posted:

Ask Revmoo.

(I would assume that it refers to stopping at a light while keeping your foot on the rear brake and your other foot on the ground (Though as motorcyclists we obv already have one foot in the grave anyway)?)

That's how I stop, transitioning to the rear brake right at the end. If you only use the front brake, the forks bounce back as you stop, which is both annoying and looks stupid.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was going to scoff about people with poo poo balance, then remembered I have an unfair advantage (more like a hidden learning curve) in the form of an ungodly number of miles on a bicycle before I ever got to bieks.

Putting both feet down on a bicycle is a great way to get one of your shins mashed.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I put both feet down all the time when I'm mountain biking; I didn't realize that was a thing.

I only mash my shins when my foot slips off the pedal (no, I don't use clipless).

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

I put both feet down all the time when I'm mountain biking; I didn't realize that was a thing.

I only mash my shins when my foot slips off the pedal (no, I don't use clipless).

I mountain bike clipless and I'm the opposite - one foot down on all occasions. And sometimes I'll notice myself twisting my heel out when my foot leaves the peg to "unclip."

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I always put one foot down, but its the wrong foot. It just feels natural to have my right foot down.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I was going to scoff about people with poo poo balance, then remembered I have an unfair advantage (more like a hidden learning curve) in the form of an ungodly number of miles on a bicycle before I ever got to bieks.

Putting both feet down on a bicycle is a great way to get one of your shins mashed.

I don't buy this, pushbikes are only similar to motorbikes in the grossest terms and riding the two is nothing alike. I know this because after half a decade on bieks I tried to ride a bicycle and had trouble making it out of the driveway..

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What part of "you never forget" do you not understand?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I don't buy this, pushbikes are only similar to motorbikes in the grossest terms and riding the two is nothing alike. I know this because after half a decade on bieks I tried to ride a bicycle and had trouble making it out of the driveway..

You have to pedal them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress, I knew twisting the grip off the handlebars and making vroom noises wasn't working for some reason.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I only ever have both feet on the ground if I'm backing out of a parking space or something, otherwise it's one foot on the ground (always the right, for some reason).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

That's how I stop, transitioning to the rear brake right at the end. If you only use the front brake, the forks bounce back as you stop, which is both annoying and looks stupid.

... or you could learn to not be a hamfisted clutz with your front brake when slowing down. Its not binary you know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

... or you could learn to not be a hamfisted clutz with your front brake when slowing down. Its not binary you know.

Yeah this is great advice if your bike has suspension that works properly but not every bike is a superduke.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Yeah this is great advice if your bike has suspension that works properly but not every bike is a superduke.

Correct. Some of them are RC8Rs :smugdog:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Correct. Some of them are RC8Rs :smugdog:

Mini-390 dukes. :3:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Digital_Jesus posted:

How else are you supposed to annoy people at the crosswalks? Endos erryday.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Argh, gout flare in my left foot. Can't shift, can't ride. Maybe I need one of them ninjers that does 100 in 1st.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Comedy option, Honda NC700SD. :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
new bike time

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dang it, Bobby.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

new bike time

holy poo poo I've only just noticed that Bobby HIll is the Texan Karl Pilington.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Digital_Jesus posted:

:confused:

I let up on the front brake as I'm slowing down and right at the end I transition to the rear brake. That way I get a smooth but still firm and controlled stop.

I'm not joking when I say this, I have actually been complimented several times on the smoothness of my driving/braking, both in cars and on bikes.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 18, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are smooth in my book, KozmoNaut.

Every day this week. Every single time I go out to run an errand on my bike, or go to school, the weather goes from bright sunshine to thunderstorm downpour as I'm halfway into my gear, or 300ft down the road.

It's better than waiting until halfway into my ride to rain, but it's still getting really old.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I let up on the front brake as I'm slowing down and right at the end I transition to the rear brake. That way I get a smooth but still firm and controlled stop.

When I was learning in the UK, this is exactly what I was taught.

VV You're right, I just took "transition" to mean coming off the front while staying on the rear.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 18, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ArcticZombie posted:

When I was learning in the UK, this is exactly what I was taught.

In the UK we're taught to use both brakes all the way down, but leave the back brake on once you've stopped.

People not using the back brake properly is why we get stupid poo poo like linked brakes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Argh, gout flare in my left foot. Can't shift, can't ride. Maybe I need one of them ninjers that does 100 in 1st.

Stop eating so much liver ffs.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm not supposed to be eating beef but I spent a week in Montana and Wyoming. Nothing else to eat. Also, I love beef so gently caress my foot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I love beef so gently caress my foot.

American.txt

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Collateral Damage posted:

Comedy option, Honda NC700SD. :v:

The Honda DCT is loving awesome.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My friend just texted me to ask where he could find an Aprilia SVX motor because he wants to build a track car around it. :psyduck:

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

I'm not supposed to be eating beef but I spent a week in Montana and Wyoming. Nothing else to eat. Also, I love beef so gently caress my foot.

There are other things to eat here but why would you? We get Japanese buyers that come here to buy cattle which becomes Kobe beef.
It's what's for dinner.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

My friend just texted me to ask where he could find an Aprilia SVX motor because he wants to build a track car around it. :psyduck:

That'll be one really fast lap.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

Nothing else to eat.

Montana and Wyoming now devoid of fish, fowl, fruit, vegetables, and mammals other than cattle.

I must monetize this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

A go-kart, surely? It's only about 70hp and competition 250cc two-strokes make more than that.

Maybe he means an RSV4 RF motor? 201 hp seems like a good start.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Almost planted myself into the side of a taxi going home from work yesterday.

Two lane street. I'm in the left lane puttering along at 30km/h or so, while traffic in the right lane is moving slower. The taxi was in a parking lane on the side of the street, spots a small gap in the right lane and decides to do a U-turn across both lanes, forcing both me and the car in the right lane to hit the brakes.

Seriously gently caress cabbies and their "this is my livelihood so I can drive how I want" attitude. I hope your next passenger robs you.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Montana and Wyoming now devoid of fish, fowl, fruit, vegetables, and mammals other than cattle.

I must monetize this.

...and when there was no meat, we ate fowl and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Outside Dawg posted:

There are other things to eat here but why would you? We get Japanese buyers that come here to buy cattle which becomes Kobe beef.
It's what's for dinner.

Pretty sure real Kobe beef is raised in Japan, so, hajimemashite