Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Smart Car posted:

savageloot.jpg

It's my turn 10 runs all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Meiteron posted:

Fun PW facts: That 18.5 hour failed attempt came about because PW had 20 forms and they were all of the same relative power as a coil boss but slowed way down because FFXI has a slow combat system. You weren't supposed to fight all 20; before this attempt forced them to make changes there had been a couple of attempts by other groups where forms were skipped, probably inadvertently. The mechanic had not been properly discovered and tested, and never would be. The fight itself lacked a fail state beyond a wipe (and wipes were very, very recoverable in FFXI) and there was no mechanism to tell players that they were doing something wrong, or failing to do something right. Hence the marathon, hence the press coverage, and hence the change to his mechanics. PW was a literal failure of game design. Note that this is something they have worked very hard to correct in XIV fights where you almost always know why you wiped to a mechanic. Even in A3S, for a current example, the names of Hand of Prayer (clasped together) and Parting (far apart) are supposed to be a hint to avoid instant death, and Hand of Pain will adjust it's damage if you don't quite make the DPS check to let you know you're on the right track.

But that's just a fun digression. To understand why people advocate for FFXI features in XIV there is a very simple explanation: the game they're pining for is imaginary. It never existed. Even now, FFXI is unrecognizable from the halcyon days they think they remember. Because no one can go back in time and experience the old version of FFXI they have only memories to go off of - memories which have been stripped of a lot of the bad things leaving only the few good impressions. The only FFXI suggestion which has a semblance of merit is a bit more variation in substats on gear; beyond that, everything else can and should be ignored.

Absolute Virtue was even better. It was only ever beaten by glitching it out using very specific, very expensive cheese strats, namely loading up a bunch of Dark Knights (who had a "drain 10% of MaxHP and add that amount to weapon damage every swing" on a 2 hour cooldown) with kraken clubs (attack 2-8 times per swing) and hope the boss didn't Benediction itself. The devs even put out a "hint video", but nobody could figure out what it was hinting toward. I'm pretty sure it was never beaten the way that was intended.

Even Dynamis Lord mostly broke down to "have a lot of Red Mages with DRK sub and have them take turns chain stunning so the boss literally can't do anything, if you run out of RDMs before DL runs out of HP you probably aren't going to win".

FFXI was really bad during the time period all these people have rose colored glasses for.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Is there a DPS meter that pops up in game so I know I might not be complete poo poo? My friend had one but he had to log out to check it. Or am I too concerned for nothing, as I'm a filthy casual anyway?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

AV was "intended" to be beaten by disabling its HP regen via nuking with the correct elemental spell (had to match the elemental day, so fire on firesday), and killing lots of the jailer of love's pets. You then had to lock its 2hour spam by having someone use their own 2hour 2-3 seconds after it used the same one.

None of this was hinted at anywhere in the game - no cryptic messages, no precursor mobs with similar mechanics, nothing at all.

It was the pinnacle of bad design from a dev team completely out of touch with everything.

Oh and also the servers were all in japan so good luck actually getting the server to consider your 2hour to have actually been used within the 2 second window after he did his.

megalodong fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 19, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Tenzarin posted:

How does a belt maim? That doesn't sound safe to wear at all.

imagine a goon trying to wear a belt that is just a small amount of piano wire

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Fun PW facts: That 18.5 hour failed attempt came about because PW had 20 forms and they were all of the same relative power as a coil boss but slowed way down because FFXI has a slow combat system. You weren't supposed to fight all 20; before this attempt forced them to make changes there had been a couple of attempts by other groups where forms were skipped, probably inadvertently. The mechanic had not been properly discovered and tested, and never would be. The fight itself lacked a fail state beyond a wipe (and wipes were very, very recoverable in FFXI) and there was no mechanism to tell players that they were doing something wrong, or failing to do something right. Hence the marathon, hence the press coverage, and hence the change to his mechanics. PW was a literal failure of game design. Note that this is something they have worked very hard to correct in XIV fights where you almost always know why you wiped to a mechanic. Even in A3S, for a current example, the names of Hand of Prayer (clasped together) and Parting (far apart) are supposed to be a hint to avoid instant death, and Hand of Pain will adjust it's damage if you don't quite make the DPS check to let you know you're on the right track.

But that's just a fun digression. To understand why people advocate for FFXI features in XIV there is a very simple explanation: the game they're pining for is imaginary. It never existed. Even now, FFXI is unrecognizable from the halcyon days they think they remember. Because no one can go back in time and experience the old version of FFXI they have only memories to go off of - memories which have been stripped of a lot of the bad things leaving only the few good impressions. The only FFXI suggestion which has a semblance of merit is a bit more variation in substats on gear; beyond that, everything else can and should be ignored.

What was the intended strategy for Pandemonium Warden?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
MMO pubbies... MMO pubbies never change.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

kafziel posted:

Beat it. There was nothing special about it at all, you just had to deal with 10 different forms, 10 sets of lamp respawns, and astral flows every 25% HP or something.

It was just completely unbalanced, to the point the developers said they expected ~50ish people to fight it, and they put the spawn point near the city so people could run back and change jobs/buy items from the AH to help. After the 18 hour attempt, they reduced the lamp HP from 25000 to 2500 each, that's how overtuned it was.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

kafziel posted:

Nobody knows; there probably wasn't even an intended strategy. Almost every XI boss up until recently was essentially a collection of various special attacks that fire off at random, so any kind of strategy beyond "keep it stunned as long as possible while gimmick build DDs burn it down" wasn't an option.

At certain HP thresholds, the lamp adds would all simultaneously use a summoner ability called "Astral Flow", essentially an 8-fold limit break; the only way people figured out how to handle this was to have one person hit all the lamps right when they spawn and then sacrifice themselves.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Chairman posted:

Nobody knows; there probably wasn't even an intended strategy. Almost every XI boss up until recently was essentially a collection of various special attacks that fire off at random, so any kind of strategy beyond "keep it stunned as long as possible while gimmick build DDs burn it down" wasn't an option.

At certain HP thresholds, the lamp adds would all simultaneously use a summoner ability called "Astral Flow", essentially an 8-fold limit break; the only way people figured out how to handle this was to have one person hit all the lamps right when they spawn and then sacrifice themselves.

What I think is best about a lot of the FFXI nostalgia is that there was a long stretch of the game where voice coms weren't a thing yet. I remember doing Dynamis and Sky runs all in the horrible chat box.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

DolphinCop posted:

dragoon is supposed to be the easy class and im still pissed off about blood of the dragon mechanics ruining that

please give back my eight move rotation

I keep trying to find 'the easy class' that I can fall back to when I don't want to put any effort in, and it doesn't really exist anymore that I've found so far. This makes me sad. :(

On the other hand, I bet MNK lovers are thrilled to have so many different flavors of greased lightning to play with.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

<call11> {Provoke} in 15 seconds!!!!~~

<call1> {Provoke} is ready!

<call2> Using {Provoke} in 5 seconds

/yell Cant touch dis /ja Jump <t> <call15>

Casting {Cure} on -> Goblin Ambusher ~~this'll cure wat ales u~~

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

seorin posted:

I keep trying to find 'the easy class' that I can fall back to when I don't want to put any effort in, and it doesn't really exist anymore that I've found so far. This makes me sad. :(

On the other hand, I bet MNK lovers are thrilled to have so many different flavors of greased lightning to play with.

It's still dragoon.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Is it common to end encounters without Limit Break being used? I don't understand because it seems like one of those things that everyone would be rushing to prematurely activate just so it could be their job that gets the cool effect.

I've had 3 nonconsecutive A1 runs where this has happened. 2 wipes and 1 clear.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Pubbies are bad. That's why.

Goons are also bad. Just as a fair warning.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I mean as long as the boss dies who really gives a gently caress, but when you wipe at 5% it's just like how did this happen

as a tank I felt helpless because tanking LB

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Smart Car posted:

I was the only person in our group that had Ninja at 60.

Ohh gotcha I thought this was someone you saw not your own character. That's definitely one reason I prefer the Alex Normal token system. You may have to roll against more people, but at least stuff you need always drops.

Running World of Darkness for hours over and over hoping the Dragon would drop my drat chest piece was not fun. That may just be me enjoying the random nature of MMOs less these days.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

seorin posted:

I keep trying to find 'the easy class' that I can fall back to when I don't want to put any effort in

You are looking for Fisher.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fisher is the most hardcore class in the game

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

DolphinCop posted:

You are looking for Fisher.

You joke, but I've been fishing more than ever lately. It's taken the place of running random dungeons as BLM just for kicks.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

seorin posted:

You joke, but I've been fishing more than ever lately. It's taken the place of running random dungeons as BLM just for kicks.

If only we could combine the two.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Boten Anna posted:

1) install act, install the ffxiv parser in the thing, when it opens a thing to look for a log file just cancel out of the wizard

2) download this: https://github.com/RainbowMage/OverlayPlugin/releases

3) *IMPORTANT* go to file location, right click, properties, uncheck the protected thing

4) unzip it to program files\advanced blah blah\overlay

5) go to plugins tab and add the overplayplugin.dll in that folder, check enable

6) go to overlayplugin.dll tab for settings, add mini parse, spell timers, or enmity overlay as desired

7) subtabs let you configure the overlays and the URL lets you choose a different html file for the overlay, with different themes. im a fan of miniparseGlowIconGraph.html for mini parse.

:siren: :siren: NEVER GIVE PARSER NUMBERS IN GAME OR EVER EVER BERATE ANYONE'S DPS YOU COULD GET BANNED FOR IT IT HAS HAPPENED BUT NOBODY WILL KNOW IF YOU KEEP YOUR TRAP SHUT P.S. GMS CAN AND DO READ FREE COMPANY, LINKSHELL, AND TELL LOGS SO DON'T BE A COY PIECE OF poo poo OR THEY'LL BAN YOU HARDER :siren: :siren:

third party tools are against the rules don't use them
Bringing this back up from a few pages ago - I can get the miniparse overlay to display just fine, but it only shows encounter time and total DPS. It doesn't seem to list by individual player. What am I doing wrong? I can't figure out what options should be checked where. (But it's parsing just fine in the background, to eliminate one issue.)

edit: yeah, the problem is definitely with my miniparseGlowIconGraph - can you upload yours, since it works, so I can replace mine with it?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 19, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vanbags posted:

Is it common to end encounters without Limit Break being used? I don't understand because it seems like one of those things that everyone would be rushing to prematurely activate just so it could be their job that gets the cool effect.

I've had 3 nonconsecutive A1 runs where this has happened. 2 wipes and 1 clear.

Melee are timid because a caster LB could finish them both off, casters won't fire one if they can only hit one with their LB and you'd need to be typing to tell them to the tanks to do that. The only time I see LBs in A1 are when I (SMN) tell the tanks to group them on drop if they jump up at like 5% or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Fisher is the most hardcore class in the game

Now you have to choose from two buttons to press!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Gear planning advice time.

Okay, since I only hit 60 about a week and a half ago, I'm just getting my weapon this week.

This is my gear setup right now:

I currently have no held over Alex drops and none from this week yet either. Last week I ran Alex for the first time and I got the accessory, gloves, and boots. I'm not following that 5-week plan since Esoterics changes things.

Since I'll get my weapon this week, that puts me two weeks out from chest piece, so I'm thinking of going with this:

This week:
Eso weapon
Alex1 - Bolt -> Necklace Get
Alex2 - Bolt -> Earring Get
Alex3 - Spring
Alex4 - Spring

Next week:
Alex1 - Bolt -> Wrists Get
Alex2 - Lens
Alex3 - Spring
Alex4 - Spring -> Legs Get

Two weeks:
Eso Chest
Alex1 - Chain -> Belt Get
Alex2 - Lens -> Helm Get

From that point on, I can just work towards replacing things with Eso.

This seems like the best plan, right?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

just roll a die or something

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

If your eso belt is good and you're trying to get gear as early as possible, consider buying the belt second. It means you can't buy pants the week after you buy body, but you can still grab a 495 piece. You'll hit a dead week on week 7 unless you buy an accessory, whereas if you go body->pants you'll hit that dead week on week 8 instead.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
My group is so loving close to getting our first A1 savage clear it's not even funny. We have the DPS and we have the mechanics but we managed to mess up in every tiny way imaginable. Two loving percent hard enrage.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Just wait until the .1% wipes :getin:

Though as more Esoteric stuff is available I guess that's less of a problem now.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Unbearable Lightness of Beeing

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Getting the head, hands, feet, and belt over four weeks is better than getting the chest and legs over the same time frame.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What is the caster acc needed for alex savage? If I get the chest this week ill drop below 540 acc...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Getting the head, hands, feet, and belt over four weeks is better than getting the chest and legs over the same time frame.

Well I guess if your job's eso gear looks terrible.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hobbesmaster posted:

Well I guess if your job's eso gear looks terrible.

P. much

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

vanbags posted:

I mean as long as the boss dies who really gives a gently caress, but when you wipe at 5% it's just like how did this happen

as a tank I felt helpless because tanking LB

roll DRK and put Dark Force on a macro screaming some nonsense about linkin park, slipknot, and cutting yourself.

commendations will roll in afterwards

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

cheetah7071 posted:

That's a lot of crit adlos.

This time I felt like I was walking in on something and shouldn't really be there.

Twice in one day, really.

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

Everything they said is true
Has anyone else experienced the utter loving horror of not critting all three of their opening Fell Cleaves?
Please makes this stop. :bang:

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
Try missing three back-to-back aero 3s

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

Everything they said is true
Scream at your BRD for not throwing out a Rain of Death. Atleast I think that's supposed to work to stop you from missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So I randomly got complimented on my DPS after an A1 Normal run and I stopped to talk to the guy about it since I'd been on the Oppressor 0.5 that died second with a good 10% difference in health. Turns out he was a Warrior tanking the other one and his DPS had made the difference.

He showed me the parse for the fight but I have no reference for what is good DPS. I am a Bard with all Alex NM gear except for Esos Weapon and Chest and one 180 Law Ring. My DPS for the fight was tops at 907, followed by the Warrior at 816 then two Dragoons at 806 and 768. I've heard of over 1k DPS in Savage though, so is this pretty good or just good for casual stuff but not quite Savage level?

EDIT: Regardless of my actual quality I'm still gonna feel good about out-dpsing other classes as a Bard every time I do it.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 19, 2015

• Locked thread