Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I'm expecting some Dev Corp vs Arcane Horde shenanigans where Bakabella tries to use Oleg's contract to get the Usurper to lay down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
At every show I go to I buy a one of Bryce's 8x10s and make Chuck Taylor sign it for me. If I can do it at King of Trios I will have five of them in total.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 8, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

Bullet Clubs gotta win this. No way AJ or the Bucks will lose to some nobodies. That or they get DQ'd

I only recall one DQ in Trios history and that was a fake foul from a heel team to get the faces DQ'd (BLKOUT vs. Golden Trio in '08). Anyway, Bucks have lost several Trios tournaments and jobbing AJ isn't much different from Chuck Taylor tap out Danielson in '09. Unless they only have AJ for one night, they're putting someone over in the finals.

One booking thing I've noticed is that they never have anyone win Trios twice ever. Unless they break that streak, of the 11 in-house teams, that leaves (not counting separate gimmicks): Snake Pit, United Nations, Arcane Horde, Crown and Court and Battleborn. The most high-profile Chikara guys in this tournament to never win Trios are Kingston, Ophidian, Amasis, Dasher and Touchdown.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Chikara's got a show this Saturday at the new Wrestle Factory in Philly.

Announced so far--
Chikara Grand Championship Match - Hallowicked defends vs Amasis
Challenge of the Immortals Singles - Proletariat Boar of Moldova [United Nations] vs Argus [The Snake Pit]
Challenge of the Immortals Singles - Oleg the Usurper [Arcane Horde] vs Prakash Sabar [United Nations]
Tag Team Match - Los Ice Creams (El Hijo del Ice Cream & Ice Cream Jr.) vs Nightmare Warriors (Frightmare & Blind Rage)
Tag Team Match - N_R_G (Hype Rockwell & Race Jaxon) vs Battleborn (Lucas Calhoun & Missile Assault Man)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

First opening round Trios match announced is Team Attack vs. United Nations.

In other news, Devastation Corporation answered questions on Twitter tonight. I asked about Missile Assault Man and they said "the kids had it coming."

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Chikara's got a show this Saturday at the new Wrestle Factory in Philly.

Announced so far--
Chikara Grand Championship Match - Hallowicked defends vs Amasis
Challenge of the Immortals Singles - Proletariat Boar of Moldova [United Nations] vs Argus [The Snake Pit]
Challenge of the Immortals Singles - Oleg the Usurper [Arcane Horde] vs Prakash Sabar [United Nations]
Tag Team Match - Los Ice Creams (El Hijo del Ice Cream & Ice Cream Jr.) vs Nightmare Warriors (Frightmare & Blind Rage)
Tag Team Match - N_R_G (Hype Rockwell & Race Jaxon) vs Battleborn (Lucas Calhoun & Missile Assault Man)

Just a heads up, if you drive to this somebody is probably gonna bust open one of your windows and steal stuff.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dangerous Person posted:

Just a heads up, if you drive to this somebody is probably gonna bust open one of your windows and steal stuff.

Was this a big thing at the last show there or are you saying that because Philly is Philly?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Was this a big thing at the last show there or are you saying that because Philly is Philly?

Both Chucky T and Ophidian had cars broken into in Philly

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jesus, Ophidian can't catch a break.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My friend and I almost went to the last Wrestle Factory show but decided against it since it's a pretty sketchy part of town. The day after at Anniversario Chuck told us about his merch getting stolen and it pretty much confirmed it for us.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

drat. I was thinking of going as a detour on a road trip, but having luggage in the car seems like a worse risk.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Gavok posted:

drat. I was thinking of going as a detour on a road trip, but having luggage in the car seems like a worse risk.

Don't. I have a friend that lived in the area, They were in the somewhat nicer area, and it was still all sorts of shady.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Confirmed matches for KOT:
KOT Opening Round:
United Nations vs Team ATTACK!
Arcane Horde vs Crown & Court
Devastation Corporation vs bWo
Bullet Club vs Team Fight Club: PRO (I think?)

Rey de Voladores participants:
Matt Cross, Mascara Purpura

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
no bwo vs bullet club first round match so that means no Bluet Club

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

They bluet!

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

No, but I'm guessing we'll get to see Blue Meanmaster, Stevie McMassive, and Flex Novacrunch take on Dev Corp in the opening round.

RIP bWo you were too good for this world

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You guys are seriously overstating how sketchy the wrestle factory location is. It's a normal outskirts of a city.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Results out of Philly--

1. COTI Singles - Oleg the Usurper [Arcane Horde] def. Prakash Sabar [United Nations] (w/ The Proletariat Boar of Moldova) with the Off with His Head.
2. Tag Match - Nightmare Warriors (Blind Rage & Frightmare) def. Los Ice Creams (w/ Kimber Lee) when Rage hit one of LIC with a sit-out powerslam. Post-match, Los Ice Creams said that Kimber Lee could win COTI... without them. She sang to them and told them to believe.
3. COTI Singles - The Proletariat Boar of Moldova [United Nations] (w/ Prakash Sabar) def. Argus [Snake Pit] with the Boar Gore. Sabar interfered, but Oleg the Usurper came back out to chase him off.
4. Tag Match - N_R_G (Hype Rockwell & Race Jaxon) def. Battleborn (Lucas Calhoun & Missile Assault Man) with Rockwell's Hyper Wheel on Calhoun. N_R_G now have 3 points again.
5. Chikara Grand Championship Match - Hallowicked def. Amasis to retain the title. During the match, Frightmare & Blind Rage came out to pray on the ramp, apparently enabling Wicked to kick out of two 450 splashes. Amasis kicked out of the Yakuza Kick and a Rydeen Bomb, but a second Rydeen Bomb put Amasis down.

Juan Francisco de Coronado kept coming out between matches to stall for time cut promos and get booed heavily.

Bell to bell, the entire show was 83 minutes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Juan Francisco de Coronado kept coming out between matches to stall for time cut promos and get booed heavily.

Bell to bell, the entire show was 83 minutes.

The Francisco part was one of the best crowd experiences I have had at a live show.

Plus the 83 minutes isn't so bad when you consider how goddamn hot it was in there.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

So I'm thinking about signing up for Chikaratopia's free trial having only ever watched two full Chikara shows (Chikarasaurus Rex: King of Sequel Night 1 and KOT '11 Night 3). What are some must see shows that might help me continue to care about Jigsaw, some ants, and Ultramantis when he's not a powerviolence band?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Del Raminos posted:

So I'm thinking about signing up for Chikaratopia's free trial having only ever watched two full Chikara shows (Chikarasaurus Rex: King of Sequel Night 1 and KOT '11 Night 3). What are some must see shows that might help me continue to care about Jigsaw, some ants, and Ultramantis when he's not a powerviolence band?

Not so much for storyline stuff, but Klunk In Love is a great in-ring show. All three KOT 09 is great. I also liked Sordid Perils of Everyday Existence and Three-Fisted Tales is the culmination of a year long storyline with one of the best payoffs I've ever seen. For that though, I'd watch pretty much every show in '09, which does in fact include some fantastic matches with El Generico, Claudio Castagnoli, Bryan Danielson, and Johnny Gargano. Whatever happened to those guys?

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 18, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The answer is always watch the entire BDK storyline from start to finish, and then go back and watch Fire Ant/Vin Gerard for the YLC and Nick Jackson/Ibushi/Jigsaw/El Generico.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

The answer is always watch the entire BDK storyline from start to finish, and then go back and watch Fire Ant/Vin Gerard for the YLC and Nick Jackson/Ibushi/Jigsaw/El Generico.

Gonna echo that Fire Ant/Vin Gerard match, which is on "Young Lions Cup VI - Night 3" (Season 7). Same show also has some fun matches like pre-"All Ego" Ethan Page taking on Tim Donst, Sami Callihan (Solomon Crowe) threatening to stab Icarus, and the famous "Princess Peach is a TRAMP" match between Incoherence and the Super Smash Brothers.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Flameingblack posted:

Nick Jackson/Ibushi/Jigsaw/El Generico.

This was a legit MOTY contender from 2009. It's the first time I had ever seen El Generico, and when he did his turnbuckle corner dive, I was just in shock.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Confirmed KOT Opening Round Matches
- Devastation Corporation vs bWo
- BDK vs Team Fight Club: PRO
- Crown & Court vs Arcane Horde
- United Nations vs Team ATTACK!
- Battleborn vs Dasher's Dugout
- Bullet Club vs Battle Hive

This leaves Nightmare Warriors, Snake Pit, Team AAA, and Gentleman's Club to be paired up. The final two matches will be announced on Wednesday during the last "Journey into Chikara" livestream. (They're discontinuing "Journey" after this week so they can concentrate on KOT prep.)

Confirmed Rey de Voladores participants
- Matt Cross
- Mascara Purpura

Another Rey de Voladores participant will be announced tomorrow.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

My predictions:

Devastation Corporation over bWo
BDK over Fight Club: PRO
Arcane Horde over Crown and Court
Team ATTACK! over United Nations
Dasher's Dugout over Battleborn (this one's hard to call)
Bullet Club over Battle Hive

And guessing on the latter two matches:

Nightmare Warriors over Team AAA
Snake Pit over Gentleman's Club

Team AAA and Fight Club: PRO are available for Rey de Voladores.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
There's gotta be at least one upset. I am calling Battleborn over Dugout.

Also hoping Heidi gets a YLC defense in there somewhere.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

There's gotta be at least one upset. I am calling Battleborn over Dugout.

I'd be all for that. Dasher's Dugout is pretty unnecessary here and it would be nice to see Icarus not get past the first round for once.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

I'd be all for that. Dasher's Dugout is pretty unnecessary here and it would be nice to see Icarus not get past the first round for once.

The curse of Dasher and TD not getting past the first rounded ended last year, so its time to start a new streak.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Pinkie Sanchez has been added to the Rey de Voladores field.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Pinkie Sanchez has been added to the Rey de Voladores field.

Good. Pinkie is probably my favorite wrestler on the indies for reasons that are completely unknown to me. Dude just looks like he just loves everything he does.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Ricochet on good terms with Quack?

Seeing him in Rey de Voladores would be fantastic

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Is Ricochet on good terms with Quack?

Seeing him in Rey de Voladores would be fantastic

My guess is no.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
He left when The Future is Now fizzled out in the BDK era. Quack burns a lot of bridges for no particular reason.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

He left when The Future is Now fizzled out in the BDK era. Quack burns a lot of bridges for no particular reason.

That was also around the time that Ricochet started working more in other indies and just may not have been able to fit Chikara in his schedule.

When he became the big indie superstar, he may also have priced himself out of Chikara.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Jay 2K Winger posted:

That was also around the time that Ricochet started working more in other indies and just may not have been able to fit Chikara in his schedule.

When he became the big indie superstar, he may also have priced himself out of Chikara.

Right. The great mystery with Quack is whether him not bringing people back is because of a burned bridge or having not enough money. And since Quack is crazy artiste of pro wrestling, you won't find out until the other side says anything.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

That's the biggest problem with CHIKARA. Quack wants to produce something the levels of Lucha Underground but can't afford it as a small local indy. He's great at producing and elevating talent, but they can't really stick around forever because they get too big to be Chikara exclusive. Likewise, Quackenbush starves out a lot of people who gave everything to be there because they don't fit into his narrative anymore.

If Chikara had Lucha Underground production and stable money coming in with an even bigger focus on the season to season story (Although it's insane how big it is sometimes as is) they'd probably be a great product.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Heard people say Quack has the money, he's just cheap as poo poo.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

KungFu Grip posted:

Heard people say Quack has the money, he's just cheap as poo poo.

Quack's interactions with Hero before Hero got booted from Chikara heavily support this claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Mike Quackenbush is the Billy Beane of wrestling

• Locked thread