Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Azhais posted:

grover was also a mod for a while I think

A head chickenhawk of the warcrimes forum.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

jetz0r posted:

He's lucky his weight broke that bar off instead of it breaking his arm off.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Three-Phase posted:

These old knife switches look a bit dangerous. Plus they are rated at 700 amps! :stare:

Heimbach - power plant 14 ies [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], by Frank Vincentz (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Hey at least there's a good tool to using those

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cat Hatter posted:

I've worked places where just leaving an empty pallet on edge will result in a write-up because they don't want to pay for Grandma's new osteoporosis-free ankle if it tips over.

Also because children like to climb them and some have been seriously injured doing so. Blue pallets are heavy as gently caress and you don't want that poo poo falling on a small child.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I know most people focus on the stair insulation in this picture but loving lol at the window at the bottom of the stairs.

Mak0rz posted:

Also because children like to climb them and some have been seriously injured doing so. Blue pallets are heavy as gently caress and you don't want that poo poo falling on a small child.

Yeah, everywhere I've worked that had pallets, you would be in deep poo poo if you got caught leaving one on its side or leaned up against something. Also, leaving an empty pallet on a retail sales floor was a big no no. Even if it was only one corner of the pallet that was empty, you were risking some customer not paying attention and tripping over it.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 19, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FIRST TIME posted:

I know most people focus on the stair insulation in this picture but loving lol at the window at the bottom of the stairs.

Because it's so low? I think code would require tempered glass there but otherwise it doesn't seem that unusual.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Because it's so low? I think code would require tempered glass there but otherwise it doesn't seem that unusual.

Then someone stumbles going down the stairs and takes a header out of the window. If you absolutely have to have a window on a stair landing, either place it high up or put it on the wall that won't become part of an involuntary slapstick routine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah that's why code requires tempered glass there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

jetz0r posted:

Please tell me this was for a dating profile. "Hey, ladies..."

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Yeah, tempered glass would mitigate the danger there.

It will be forever funny to me though just because the first time someone pointed it out, the mental image of someone tripping and putting their head through the window gave me a pretty good laugh.

It could be worse though.

Uthor posted:

Please tell me this was for a dating profile. "Hey, ladies..."

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 19, 2015

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Remember that Grover tried to get himself accredited as a inspector with the express intent of signing off on his own bullshit code work. I don't know if he managed to go through with it in the end but caught a lot of flak for it when he mentioned it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

darkwasthenight posted:

Remember that Grover tried to get himself accredited as a inspector with the express intent of signing off on his own bullshit code work. I don't know if he managed to go through with it in the end but caught a lot of flak for it when he mentioned it.

He did.

"Mr. Grady, you *were* the building inspector here"
"I'm sorry to differ with you Mr. Grover, but *you* are the building inspector. You've *always* been the building inspector."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
i might be making it up but if I remember a post from the last Groverhaus thread right, Grover's ingenious outlet plan wasn't strictly against electrical code but a rule of thumb about the number of outlets per circuit throughput that normal inspectors won't sign off on because normal people view outlets as an invitation to plug something in permanently. A PE stamp is supposed to come with a healthy regard for what hills you want to die on in civil court though so its a pretty silly thing to do because, even if its totally safe I swear, you suddenly have to defend justifications for the deviation when making an insurance claim.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

An actual tiger gets loose in Packard Plant in Detroit

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know much about tiger logistics, but we were told to be this huge blue tarp monster with the weedwhacker and try to be scary and make loud noises. That just made him angry. You could say he got tiger rage, so we retreated.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

zedprime posted:

I don't know much about tiger logistics, but we were told to be this huge blue tarp monster with the weedwhacker and try to be scary and make loud noises. That just made him angry. You could say he got tiger rage, so we retreated.
New thread title?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zedprime posted:

I really do love that despite recognizing this being the dumbest loving thing in the universe they still went through with it

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I really do love that despite recognizing this being the dumbest loving thing in the universe they still went through with it

It was probably a case of "Well do you have a better idea?"

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Shoulda kept that tiger rock

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

quote:

I stopped what I was doing, grabbed my tools and hopped in my truck, because, you know, tiger. ...

Personally, "I stopped what I was doing and said 'gently caress you', because, you know, tiger..."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

call animal control

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scream at the tiger to get on the ground, shoot it in the head, and drop a Taser by its body.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

call animal control

Not too long ago they had to shoot a cow that escaped into a town because the authorities couldn't figure out a better option (because they're idiots). I don't think you'd get your security deposit back on the tiger if you called Detroit animal control.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

Scream at the tiger to get on the ground, shoot it in the head, and drop a Taser by its body.

That only works with panthers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trabisnikof posted:

Not too long ago they had to shoot a cow that escaped into a town because the authorities couldn't figure out a better option (because they're idiots).

It seems like it would be way more trouble to move a dead cow than to just do it right and take it alive.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It seems like it would be way more trouble to move a dead cow than to just do it right and take it alive.

Impromptu BBQ?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

goodness posted:

He's lucky his weight broke that bar off instead of it breaking his arm off.

The handle just rests on those little nubs on the cart, unless you put a pin through them. The handle isnt for picking up the cart ,

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Three-Phase posted:

These old knife switches look a bit dangerous. Plus they are rated at 700 amps! :stare:

Heimbach - power plant 14 ies [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], by Frank Vincentz (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons
JFC :stare:. Would one of these things have much arc flash potential? Did they typically only switch low voltage? I snapped a similar setup during a tour of the late 40s HMS Alliance. Didn't catch the current rating but they at least have a little shielding and I suppose electrocution is least of your worries aboard such a vessel:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Trabisnikof posted:

Not too long ago they had to shoot a cow that escaped into a town because the authorities couldn't figure out a better option (because they're idiots). I don't think you'd get your security deposit back on the tiger if you called Detroit animal control.

If it was a LION on the other hand... :v:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mechanism Eight posted:

JFC :stare:. Would one of these things have much arc flash potential? Did they typically only switch low voltage? I snapped a similar setup during a tour of the late 40s HMS Alliance. Didn't catch the current rating but they at least have a little shielding and I suppose electrocution is least of your worries aboard such a vessel:

Depends on what it's used for. Maybe it's something like the field for a generator which could have low voltage (couple hundred) voltage and moderate ampacity.

As far as Grover goes, he used to post in my "Ask Me about Industrial Electricity" thread in A/T, but I was never that aware about the drama that surrounded him until fairly recently. :shrug:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
What a strange trick.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The guy who does yard maintenance for my mum used to work as a linesman. He survived touching a line that was not supposed to be live, but was due to the gently caress up of another dude further down the line. Has a really gnarly scar all down his leg where it was resting against the line, and another on his chest and arm. Long story, but he was up there for a while and was a very lucky dude.

Anyhow, he's telling me and mum this story and he's describing how the only way they could get him off the line was for his supervisor to punch him in the chest. Mum asked why he couldn't just let go and he explained to her about how the power running through the line caused his muscles to seize. She asked what would have happened if the supervisor had not been there/was not willing to risk his own life to get him off the line. To which he just shrugged and said he guessed he would be dead.

Mum thinks about this for a moment and then says: so like . . . the Witchita Linesman is still on the line?

I can no longer hear this song without thinking of the alternative meaning now.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Something very similar happened to me. I was entering a pedestrian crossing with a crossing guard standing in the middle, and a little old lady just barreled through the crossing. Caught my bike on the front wheel and ripped it out of my hands. Luckily I was a little slow to enter the crossing and escaped uninjured.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Some guy snuck into the Tiajin explosion aftermath and took a bunch of photos

quote:

Before he left, Dalu told me the firefighters had already left, and the site was totally empty.

But I discovered several firefighters still moving around there.

They were trying to put out the fire. But moments after they sprayed the foam, the sound of an explosion came out of the rubble. They had to stop again. After a few minutes they tried again. There was another little explosion.

quote:

Just then I heard a firefighter outside the site yell, “Get out of there! It’s another explosion!”

At first the firefighters didn’t react, so the man on the outside kept yelling. Then he turned on a siren, piercing the space. Finally the firefighters ran out wildly.

wtf

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Well of course the firefighters didn't react. He was shouting in English.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If it was a LION on the other hand... :v:
You could just throw a football at it and it'd completely forget how to move. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Trabisnikof posted:

They even brought a helicopter for it lol

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/police-wallsend-shoot-cow-after-9274126

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
masses of dead fish wash up after the tianjin blast
"one sample taken from a drain pipe near the site of the blasts recorded cyanide levels 277 times above acceptable standards. "

yeah that'll do it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread