Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Daeren posted:

Or you're working with something like BYOND and Space Station 13's garbage pile of oldcode, in which case Satan himself lurks behind every corner, waiting for you to step on a landmine.

im coder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Is it a good idea or bad idea to dig a 5 wide trench separating all the biomes before killing the wall of flesh? Is it really that big of a deal if the world goes to poo poo with hollow/corruption? I've beaten the game where I "powerleveled" through most things(I had 100 iron/100 wooden crates going into hardmode) but im starting a second slower paced world where im focused more on aesthetically pleasing housing and biomes and im not sure how to handle the spreading. I don't want to end up in a situation where im digging tunnels every 118 blocks and using the clentaminator to clean everything up.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

FalloutGod posted:

Is it a good idea or bad idea to dig a 5 wide trench separating all the biomes before killing the wall of flesh? Is it really that big of a deal if the world goes to poo poo with hollow/corruption? I've beaten the game where I "powerleveled" through most things(I had 100 iron/100 wooden crates going into hardmode) but im starting a second slower paced world where im focused more on aesthetically pleasing housing and biomes and im not sure how to handle the spreading. I don't want to end up in a situation where im digging tunnels every 118 blocks and using the clentaminator to clean everything up.

There's little point in doing all of that before you kill the wall of flesh because you can't predict where the V shape will pop up, and you don't know if the jungle will be on the hallow side or the corruption side. For all you know, the V might cross through the trenches you dig, rendering them useless. If your base is at the very center of the map, I'd dig a u-shaped trench around it so corruption can't get too close, but that's it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If your main concern is above ground, it's pretty easy to keep the grass green by making sure to leave the clay/ore that spawns on the surface around. Stone has to be at most three tiles below the surface before it can affect the grass, so just purge anything like that and you should be in the clear. It's more work to keep the deserts clean, since every sand tile can be affected. The underground desert is pretty much a lost cause.

If you do resort to digging trenches, you can always fill in the top of the hole with something incorruptible.

E: Surface corruption can be a pain because NPCs don't want to live in it, and you might not want the gloomy background. Hallow is fine for living in, though, and who doesn't like rainbows?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 17, 2015

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
What's a good place to find some more Titanium? Cobalt and Mythril were both pretty plentiful and easy to find for me, but Titanium's proving to be a big pain to gather up enough ore to create a full armor set. Which is a shame because from what I hear its set bonus is really good.

Meanwhile, in the not-hardmode world:

Seems the doors turned out pretty well, though palm wood needed to be used to create suitable contrast with the rest of the wooden frames and such. Still need to find more stuff to fill the upper parts of the blacksmiths with.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like the next content update is going to prominently feature mechanics
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/get-wired-for-terraria-1-3-1-calling-all-terrarian-mechanics.29865/

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bluhman posted:

What's a good place to find some more Titanium? Cobalt and Mythril were both pretty plentiful and easy to find for me, but Titanium's proving to be a big pain to gather up enough ore to create a full armor set. Which is a shame because from what I hear its set bonus is really good.

Just above the Underworld. Search the nooks you can reach by flying up from Hell, or just go into one and dig a path east/west.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Simple logic gates and tx/rx for long distance wiring would be enough.

Also laser traps 😊

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I like the banners, they're pretty handy, but a pain to move around, or keep track of.

Suggestions would be, crafting banners into larger banners of enemy type. e.g. all slime banners combine. Or that each banner adds to the buff. Because after killing 1000 of an enemy, they should be just be trivial, and not an annoying pest where there only purpose is to knock my brick placement around and gently caress things up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The solution is too realize most of the items you pick up are worthless even as vendor fodder and you should just be throwing them out. Stop hoarding literally every dirt block.

I wish there was some way to not pick all this stuff up, instead of having to stop every five minutes to trash stuff.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

how do you "build" leaf blocks for your giant tree forts

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

how do you "build" leaf blocks for your giant tree forts
Leaf Wand. It's an item that can appear in chests in living trees.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Leaf Wand. It's an item that can appear in chests in living trees.

hm. looks like I have some worlds to generate

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They definitely need to put in something that makes teleportation less wire placement intensive. I'd like the game to just place the wire itself after I put down the teleporters, using all the wire I have on me. I don't care how the line is placed or if it crosses other wires, that would be such a huge time saver.

Whatever else they add, I hope they give some in-game reasons to do them. I never do engineering anymore that isn't a stone door or a life/mana statue for my arena.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Kajeesus posted:

Just above the Underworld. Search the nooks you can reach by flying up from Hell, or just go into one and dig a path east/west.

Yep. Here's what you do. Go down to the ceiling of Hell with a Cobalt/Mythril/corresponding level pickaxe. Drink an Obsidian Potion, Spelunking Potion, and Mining Potion. Blast your way laterally and you will be swimming in all three of the Hardmode Ores (assuming you've actually hammered enough altars to generate it).

It's really easy mode for finding/mining the stuff.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Supremezero posted:

Traveling Merchant? I'm going to assume you've actually killed Plantera, which is required for him to have Pulse Bow as a possibility.

In which case, murder away.

I waited patiently for the Traveling Merchant to show up for a while because I needed the Stopwatch to complete my Cell Phone, and I kept seeing the "has shown up" message followed like 10-15s later by his "has died" message. Every time. I had no loving clue what was going on. It happened 3 or 4 times while I was spelunking and I was getting super frustrated.

Then I happened to be at my base one time when he spawned and I couldn't see where he went so I opened up the map and sure enough it seemed that fucker spawned everytime inside my infinite honey pool that I had created outisde and was just drowning every time he spawned. Threw a lid on that thing and never had a problem since :v:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
put actuators on the lid to the honey trap, execute every travelling merchant after browsing their wares, it is for the best.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

I waited patiently for the Traveling Merchant to show up for a while because I needed the Stopwatch to complete my Cell Phone, and I kept seeing the "has shown up" message followed like 10-15s later by his "has died" message. Every time. I had no loving clue what was going on. It happened 3 or 4 times while I was spelunking and I was getting super frustrated.

Then I happened to be at my base one time when he spawned and I couldn't see where he went so I opened up the map and sure enough it seemed that fucker spawned everytime inside my infinite honey pool that I had created outisde and was just drowning every time he spawned. Threw a lid on that thing and never had a problem since :v:

i started a second world to get corruption and the spawn was right next to an inescapable water pool. it was every npcs first destination after they showed up

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I've just discovered about the funny effects you can get from angled blocks and platforms, which fans have called hoiks and it's quite impressive the things they've made with it. Nonsensical and pointless, but impressive.

I'd never have the patience to set up one of these things.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

I am really looking forward to this, but I hope they have the common sense to ignore most of the player suggestions they get. Especially the first one in that thread with its hilarious suggestion of adding dozens of more specialized biome-based wire types to the already chaotic amounts of items.

All they really need to do is add logic gates and wireless tx/rx as someone stated. Those alone will make way more stuff possible than exists now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

They definitely need to put in something that makes teleportation less wire placement intensive. I'd like the game to just place the wire itself after I put down the teleporters, using all the wire I have on me. I don't care how the line is placed or if it crosses other wires, that would be such a huge time saver.

Whatever else they add, I hope they give some in-game reasons to do them. I never do engineering anymore that isn't a stone door or a life/mana statue for my arena.

Placing wire is pretty easy now, with the smart cursor and flying mounts it's almost as easy as minecart track. The only problem is cost - wire is pretty expensive.

Krittick posted:

I am really looking forward to this, but I hope they have the common sense to ignore most of the player suggestions they get. Especially the first one in that thread with its hilarious suggestion of adding dozens of more specialized biome-based wire types to the already chaotic amounts of items.

All they really need to do is add logic gates and wireless tx/rx as someone stated. Those alone will make way more stuff possible than exists now.

Some way of tracking state would be good too. There's no way to tell a wire system whether something is "on" or "off", so it's really hard to keep things in sync, especially if they're being used by other players who have no particular inclination to be careful not to screw up your system's state. As far as I know, the best you can do is use lights as indicators to track the system status so you know when it needs to be manually reset.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Main Paineframe posted:

Placing wire is pretty easy now, with the smart cursor and flying mounts it's almost as easy as minecart track. The only problem is cost - wire is pretty expensive.

"flying mounts" the operative word, they're all pretty late game or rare drops

Some ways about going about long distance wires earlier game would be pretty nice.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Acne Rain posted:

"flying mounts" the operative word, they're all pretty late game or rare drops

Some ways about going about long distance wires earlier game would be pretty nice.

Minecart.

Player Suggestions they should take include that light-based wiring thing.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Main Paineframe posted:

I'd like something like 25-unit horizontal and vertical spools that get placed all at once. I'd be fine with crafting them somewhere, just so long as I had the option.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I hadn't played with wires since before the smart cursor existed, and ahaha does that make the jungle temple traps a non-issue.

Also even without flying mounts the smart cursor placement makes longdistance wires much much easier, since you can jump up and down while running but still get a horizontal wire.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Acne Rain posted:

put actuators on the lid to the honey trap, execute every travelling merchant after browsing their wares, it is for the best.

Too slow for efficient murder. You need actuated floors above lava pits on both sides of your house. It's the only way to be sure. At this point I could start my own store selling nothing but merchant hats and still no bow. :/

Also absent from my world: spear/flame traps. Seven combined from the temple but a room that had ~20 spiky ball traps on the ceiling. Is there any sort of indicator (always on the edge, always at X height, etc) for the location of the temple so that I can speed up farming more traps? I like building killing machines.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mailer posted:

Too slow for efficient murder. You need actuated floors above lava pits on both sides of your house. It's the only way to be sure. At this point I could start my own store selling nothing but merchant hats and still no bow. :/

Who cares about efficient murder? This is about making the bastard suffer!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So, at 350 hours in (Not counting how long I played a :filez: version before buying it) I've only just gotten my first suit of Shroomite armor.

While the stealth effect is neat, it's slightly spoiled by my Party Hair Dye puking confetti everywhere.

Not to mention the flaming ghost skull floating over my head. Which is, incidentally, the only thing I've seen that Negative Dye looks good on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dareon posted:

Not to mention the flaming ghost skull floating over my head. Which is, incidentally, the only thing I've seen that Negative Dye looks good on.

You could always put Twilight Dye on your light summon, it makes them more or less invisible.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't have trouble staying alive but my holiday moon colosseum isn't getting enough kills. I'm well armed myself and the arena is full of spike ball traps and some flamethrowers, but I'm only getting to wave 14 of the Pumpkin Moon. Should I put up a layer of lava too?

I'm considering just skipping to the Lunar Pillars.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Blackheart posted:

I don't have trouble staying alive but my holiday moon colosseum isn't getting enough kills. I'm well armed myself and the arena is full of spike ball traps and some flamethrowers, but I'm only getting to wave 14 of the Pumpkin Moon. Should I put up a layer of lava too?

I'm considering just skipping to the Lunar Pillars.

I didnt bother doing the Pumpkin moon stuff more than once before moving on to doing the Lunar Pillars. Got smashed by the moon lord the first time, but fully buffed and loaded with chlorophye bullets I got him down second try.

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

I've just discovered about the funny effects you can get from angled blocks and platforms, which fans have called hoiks and it's quite impressive the things they've made with it. Nonsensical and pointless, but impressive.

I'd never have the patience to set up one of these things.

Hoiking is really addictive, and some people manage to make incredible stuff with it.

I've used it to make a horizontal elevator in the spaceship I'm building:

I'd love to figure out how to make bi-directional hoiks with interchanges for up/down - left/right (it's possible), but I can't figure out which blocks to actuate.

e: Guess I don't know the difference between vertical and horizontal.

Supersheep fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 19, 2015

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Supersheep posted:

Hoiking is really addictive, and some people manage to make incredible stuff with it.

I've used it to make a vertical elevator in the spaceship I'm building:

I'd love to figure out how to make bi-directional hoiks with interchanges for up/down - left/right (it's possible), but I can't figure out which blocks to actuate.

Oh, poo poo, that's really loving cool.

Also, advice: Don't bother too much with trying to contain the corruption/hallow, because:

1. After beating a boss, the spread will stop being as much of an issue
2. You'll get a tool called the clemtaminator that'll help you change biomes quickly
3. If you really want to make a huge hellevator, it's much easier after getting a drill mount

and if those aren't enough for you and you REALLY want to make sure those biomes don't exist there are easy-to-use world editors. it's not worth spending a bunch of time digging out.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
So having never played the game for longer than about an hour prior to 1.3, I'm currently at the Mech bosses in expert mode the first time. Once I stopped being bad at dodging the insanely painful head on Destroyer, the Twins is the only one of the three who's given me any trouble at all and boy is it the most aggravating thing in the world.

I built like a 5k-block asphalt bridge to try the run-like-hell-and-shoot-it-to-death strat, then changed my mind and decided to hell with breaking faith to my yoyo build. It's just aggravating. That fight has 0 margin for error. I'm going on a dozen+ attempts of it, about 7 or 8 of which all wipe out on the same part -- the last 25% of the fight or so when Retinazer is down and Spazmatism goes apeshit. When I tried Spazmatism first, I don't even get that far.

I'm still gradually getting better at dodging Spazmatism. It's been the most challenging part of this game by several orders of magnitude, though. Only other who came even close was pre HM Skeletron, who still only took maybe 4 or 5 attempts and would have gone even faster if I'd properly prepared for it right off the bat instead of getting in a hurry.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

So having never played the game for longer than about an hour prior to 1.3, I'm currently at the Mech bosses in expert mode the first time. Once I stopped being bad at dodging the insanely painful head on Destroyer, the Twins is the only one of the three who's given me any trouble at all and boy is it the most aggravating thing in the world.

I built like a 5k-block asphalt bridge to try the run-like-hell-and-shoot-it-to-death strat, then changed my mind and decided to hell with breaking faith to my yoyo build. It's just aggravating. That fight has 0 margin for error. I'm going on a dozen+ attempts of it, about 7 or 8 of which all wipe out on the same part -- the last 25% of the fight or so when Retinazer is down and Spazmatism goes apeshit. When I tried Spazmatism first, I don't even get that far.

I'm still gradually getting better at dodging Spazmatism. It's been the most challenging part of this game by several orders of magnitude, though. Only other who came even close was pre HM Skeletron, who still only took maybe 4 or 5 attempts and would have gone even faster if I'd properly prepared for it right off the bat instead of getting in a hurry.

If you have wings and the eye of cthulhu shield you can fly over Spazmatism when he's spewing flames and then use the shield dash to get out of the way unharmed. Expert Retinazer is much harder for me, he's shooting minishark speed lasers at the end.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Toadsmash posted:

Keep the nurse handy is pretty much the best advice you could get

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Retinazer does his lasers at super predictable intervals, though. I've never had a problem dodging those. The combination of Spaz's charges with the crazy long range fire breath is a nightmare. I just find myself chaining the dashes to get around his charges and inevitably at some point can't get away in time when he switches modes back into the breath.

I'm pretty sure I know how I'm executing it wrong. I'm just bad. Boy can this game be hard!

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 19, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Some tips:
Make sure you have all proper buff potions. ironskin, regeneration, endurance, rage and/or wrath, and food help tremendously.
Do you have a Megashark? You can make one using the souls that drop from the destroyer and it's really good against the twins, especially when it's loaded with crystal bullets.
A kind of cheesy way to deal with the twins is to chug a gravity potion and do as long as possible vertical zig-zags while moving away from them, and changing direction when you reach the edge of the world.

I also don't really recommend playing blind on expert but you're fairly soon on 1.3s endgame content and I played all of that blind on expert so. :shrug:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

It's not TOTALLY blind. I've been restarting for a variety of reasons a number of times. Soooo. Steam says I have 259 hours in the game so far, if that tells you anything. 99% of which was post 1.3! This is the first playthrough where I've attempted the Mech bosses, though, let alone killed one! So. It's effectively blind for the parts of the game that actually matter to most people.

I have all the materials to make a Megashark, even the Shark Fins, but I was really trying to stick to the yoyo. S'pose it's an option. :newlol:

Full Hallowed + a Yelets right now. On the best attempt I had him down to 2k, but four hours later, the best I managed was 5 or 6 since. Guessing I should probably go back to Titanium for the set bonus, too.

Build screenshot for the hell of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Maybe replace the Shield of Cthulu with a Worm Scarf, otherwise it looks good. I personally prefer frost armor over Titanium and Hallow but it's gonna be a pain getting all that titanium again.