Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One solo female book, not a single non-white solo book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Endless Mike posted:

seeing as it is a multi-week course on pop culture, and that was just week 1's reading list, I would advise waiting a week or two to see if the list becomes more inclusive before writing it off.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pretty much all of it is from the 80s or earlier, too. That's like complaining about a History of English Literature class being made up mostly of white dudes

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Endless Mike posted:

What books from those eras would you include?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Pretty much all of it is from the 80s or earlier, too. That's like complaining about a History of English Literature class being made up mostly of white dudes
Not really. There's several 90s and even 2000s books in there and there's DC books covering 75 years of publication. But some specific ideas: Black Panther, Luke Cage/Power Man (I'd even accept Power Man & Iron Fist here), Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers), She-Hulk (Byrne or Slott).

But you guys are right and I should see what else they have in future weeks. These do largely seem to be characters in movies or on TV.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Early Black Panther was a lot more progressive than you'd expect for a character written in early Marvel.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Early Black Panther was a lot more progressive than you'd expect for a character written in early Marvel.

Wasn't that kind of the whole point of the character, though? I haven't read the early issues, but the character always seemed a lot less blaxploitative than, say, Luke Cage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Wasn't that kind of the whole point of the character, though? I haven't read the early issues, but the character always seemed a lot less blaxploitative than, say, Luke Cage.

Yeah, but I mean, the point of the Sue Storm and Reed Richards dynamic was to reflect the changing role of women in 60s society and how men felt about it, and look how THAT holds up. What I'm saying is Black Panther was (mostly) actually progressive and not well meaning racism like one might expect from the era.

And I think that's pretty cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is it worth tracking down Verotika? Been on a disturbing comic run as of late , finishing up my old Tim Vigil stuff and realized despite people talking about how great it was I never read Verotika.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bought the Breyfoyle Batman omni that just got released and I really really liked it. The chat thread recommended to a different guy to read the O'Neal and Englehart runs, and I'd like to, but does anyone know if (and where) they are collected? There are about a billion Batman collections on Comixology.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I bought the Breyfoyle Batman omni that just got released and I really really liked it. The chat thread recommended to a different guy to read the O'Neal and Englehart runs, and I'd like to, but does anyone know if (and where) they are collected? There are about a billion Batman collections on Comixology.

Here's the specific issues for Englehart:
Detective Comics #469–476, 478–479

(collected in a trade titled "Strange Apparitions", if that helps)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 17, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When did they do the "reboot" and did the darker version as a response to the campy popular view of Batman? like 1971?

redbackground posted:

Here's the specific issues for Englehart:
Detective Comics #469–476, 478–479

Well, I guess I could just buy those specific issues...

Comixology has three Neal Adams Batman collections, has anyone read those?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

When did they do the "reboot" and did the darker version as a response to the campy popular view of Batman? like 1971?
I think it was 1970.
Here's a great retrospective of their work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cheers.

Our mod DEADPOOL always recommends all the Valiant titles save one, which was it?

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 18, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Of the new stuff? The only thing I absolutely say you should never even look at is the continuation of the original Quantum and Woody series. It's garbage. Otherwise Shadowman after Justin Jordan leaves isn't any good either, but it's not like Q2 where it's not even worth the paper it's printed on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Of the new stuff? The only thing I absolutely say you should never even look at is the continuation of the original Quantum and Woody series. It's garbage. Otherwise Shadowman after Justin Jordan leaves isn't any good either, but it's not like Q2 where it's not even worth the paper it's printed on.

That's "Quantum and Woody Must Die"?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

That's "Quantum and Woody Must Die"?

No, that's the mini that follow their new series. The continuation of the old series is Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody. Avoid as if it were carrying a disease.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's the best Star Wars that's on Marvel Unlimited?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Legacy and X-Wing I think are the big ones.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The 1998-2002 series is worth reading too. Anything by Ostrander/Duursema, basically.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

What's the best Star Wars that's on Marvel Unlimited?

Please tell me you're reading all the current series. Especially Lando and Vader.

Fake Edit: Spell check knew Vader, but not Lando, this has been rectified.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Please tell me you're reading all the current series. Especially Lando and Vader.

Unlimited doesn't really have those available yet, due to the six month embargo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're worth buying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nipponophile posted:

Unlimited doesn't really have those available yet, due to the six month embargo.

Darth Vader #1 is on Unlimited. It's in my library right now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

Fake Edit: Spell check knew Vader, but not Lando, this has been rectified.

I just read Darth Vader 1, which is why I asked. I already buy enough new comics and I figure anything labeled Star Wars isn't in danger of being prematurely canceled so there's no rush to vote with my pocketbook to save it.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with managing a pull list remotely or ordering new stuff off a website? I have a small local LCS and they're pretty good about getting most stuff, but sometimes books I pull don't show up, especially if they're from smaller publishers. Lately I've tried to get Broken World, Muirwood, and Rivers of London, but the store never got them in. I have no reason to expect they aren't ordering them, because I get a ton of stuff there and sometimes the small press books do show up on time. I just can't count on it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dunbar posted:

Does anyone have any experience with managing a pull list remotely or ordering new stuff off a website? I have a small local LCS and they're pretty good about getting most stuff, but sometimes books I pull don't show up, especially if they're from smaller publishers. Lately I've tried to get Broken World, Muirwood, and Rivers of London, but the store never got them in. I have no reason to expect they aren't ordering them, because I get a ton of stuff there and sometimes the small press books do show up on time. I just can't count on it.

It's very possible they are just getting shorted by Diamond, but I would ask them directly. I get my comics through DCBS and I use the website to order them but I don't actually get them mailed to me because I live near them. I'm not sure that'd be a solution you'd be looking for though if you are just looking to fill in the gaps your store misses out on because you need to preorder stuff in advance.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 23, 2015

Sm9ck
Apr 25, 2015
I got to borrow some volumes of Sandman and Preacher from a friend of mine and was instantly sold on this entertainment medium. I'm going into town tomorrow to try and find some of what my friend consider the essentials, being:

Sin City
Watchmen
Preacher
Sandman
Black Hole

I'm wondering if you think he left something out? I'm not in to superheroes that much, except for the ones that offer a lot of comedic relief, but if you think there's any novels/comics I should give a shot then please do recommend.

Out of the two I like Sandman for its fabulous art style and well executed psychological terror but I do prefer the grittier story telling in Preacher.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's definitely a solid start, if a little heavy on the gritty stuff and on the late 80's to mid 90's timeframe. Maybe toss in Nextwave for a comedic "capes" book. But, I'd say read some of the stuff on that list and come back when you have a better idea of what appeals to you.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Sm9ck posted:

I got to borrow some volumes of Sandman and Preacher from a friend of mine and was instantly sold on this entertainment medium. I'm going into town tomorrow to try and find some of what my friend consider the essentials, being:

Sin City
Watchmen
Preacher
Sandman
Black Hole

I'm wondering if you think he left something out? I'm not in to superheroes that much, except for the ones that offer a lot of comedic relief, but if you think there's any novels/comics I should give a shot then please do recommend.

Out of the two I like Sandman for its fabulous art style and well executed psychological terror but I do prefer the grittier story telling in Preacher.

From that list, only Watchmen and Sandman are true Essentials with a capital 'E'.

Here are some other things I consider essential:
Swamp Thing by Alan Moore. It's the companion piece to Sandman in the 80's weird urban fantasy psychological horror revolution. The third spearhead for that style of comics is Grant Morrison's work on Animal Man and Doom Patrol. Those are quirkier than Sandman and Swamp Thing, and are more concerned with exploring storytelling possibilities from the "outside in" than from inside out, if that makes any sense.
Miracleman by Alan Moore is tied with Watchmen as the superhero book you ever need to read if you don't specially care about superheroes.
If you care at all about the potential of comics as a storytelling medium, Bone by Jeff Smith is essential. You'll flip through it and figure it's not for you. Please don't fall for that. It doesn't look like much at first but it takes a very short time to realize Bone's art and story are among the best the comics medium has to offer.

Those are truly universal, but we can give more suggestions if you tell us what kind of story and themes you enjoy.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 25, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sm9ck posted:

Sin City
Watchmen
Preacher
Sandman
Black Hole

If you like Preacher I highly recommend Ennis' run on Hellblazer, the first trade is called Dangerous Habits and the only background you need is that Constantine has demon blood in his veins,and that only comes up once.

Sm9ck
Apr 25, 2015
I've heard good things about Bone before, from my older brother nonetheless, weird that I didn't think of it! I'll check that out, I'm not as unintroduced to comics that I do not believe that you can tell a good story through them. Hell, I binged on visual novels a year back or so when the weebs hit me hard. Swamp Thing and Miracleman both look like things I would enjoy very much. Nextwave looks like it could be worth to check out as well.

As for themes I really enjoy either post-apoc/dystopian settings or really trippy and abnormal ones. Most of anything is fine though, as long as it is not too toooooo cutesy and sweet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sm9ck posted:

As for themes I really enjoy either post-apoc/dystopian settings or really trippy and abnormal ones. Most of anything is fine though, as long as it is not too toooooo cutesy and sweet.

You might enjoy Conan comics. I mean, I guess it's technically pre-apocalyptic (spoilers for the first Conan story ever), but it's pretty dystopian and full of weird lovecraftian poo poo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sm9ck posted:

I was going to say it earlier, but East of West. Get on that poo poo post haste.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uthor posted:

I was going to say it earlier, but East of West. Get on that poo poo post haste.

Yes, very much this.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sm9ck posted:

Y The Last Man, by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
The first is a perfect dystopian setting, and the second is trippy and abnormal. Both are fantastic. Y is over and collected in ten trade paperbacks or five more expensive, oversized hardcovers, and Saga is still going, with a fifth trade paperback volume due out in September.

I'll also second Starman, by James Robinson. It's the perfect superhero story for someone who prefers somewhat more "mature" stuff, especially Vertigo-style books. The only problem is it'll spoil you for pretty much all other superhero comics. There are ten older trade paperbacks, but they left out random issues, so they suck. Do not buy them. Invest in the first Starman Omnibus, and you will NOT be sorry. (DC published six Omnibus editions in hardcover, but Volume 3 fell out of print and tends to go for lots of money now. They gave up reprinting them in softcover after the third, so don't bother with those if you might end up wanting a matching set later on.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 25, 2015

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Skwirl posted:

If you like Preacher I highly recommend Ennis' run on Hellblazer, the first trade is called Dangerous Habits and the only background you need is that Constantine has demon blood in his veins,and that only comes up once.

I want to second this one. Ennis' Hellblazer stuff owns hard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sm9ck posted:

I've heard good things about Bone before, from my older brother nonetheless, weird that I didn't think of it! I'll check that out, I'm not as unintroduced to comics that I do not believe that you can tell a good story through them. Hell, I binged on visual novels a year back or so when the weebs hit me hard. Swamp Thing and Miracleman both look like things I would enjoy very much. Nextwave looks like it could be worth to check out as well.

The first two volumes of Casanova by Matt Fraction aren't post apocalyptic, but they're weird enough it'd probably fit the vibe you're looking for. And, because you mentioned Ennis I'll keep hitting that vein, his Crossed ate some of the most hosed up comics I've ever read, it's basically a zombie story except they're just sadists, not undead, but it's an infectious disease.

Sm9ck
Apr 25, 2015

Uthor posted:

I got on that poo poo and dear god am I hooked! Saga was also really good, really dig the atmosphere in that one (plus the first page I turned to in the store had some kind of lesbian angel orgy going on so I knew I had to get in on that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What's a good gag gift for a fellow comic geek? I want to evoke the feeling "Awww, gently caress you too pal :3:". The other, non joke things I'm planning on getting him are Ellis' Moon Knight and Godzilla: Half Century War.