Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
He's talking about "precomputed interest" loans where all of the finance charges are added to the loan balance at origination; they are a real piece of poo poo for the borrower and yes tons of buy-here-pay-here car loans are written like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I hate to break up this derail, seeing as how its going so well, but we have a great horsechat bwm story:

"Legal Profession Blog posted:

An attorney should be disbarred for misappropriation, according to a recent report and recommendation of the California State Bar Court Review Department.

Over a three-year period, George Bernard Altenberg, Jr., misappropriated approximately $93,000 from eight clients to support his passionate hobby of breeding and maintenance of purebred Arabian horses. Though he has repaid most of the funds, he continues to owe $2,724 to one of his former clients. Altenberg also violated numerous conditions of a prior discipline, and violated rule 9.20 of the California Rules of Court by filing a false compliance declaration...

Altenberg was admitted to practice law in California on June 13, 1985. For more than 20 years, he maintained a viable law practice focusing on personal injury matters. In addition to practicing law, Altenberg became, in his own words, obsessed with owning and breeding Polish Arabian horses, and raised as many as 90 horses on his farm in Sonoma County. In 1999, Altenberg added another venture when he bought a restaurant in Sebastopol. The restaurant was a financial failure, and he had incurred $1.7 million in debt by the time he sold it in 2006. To service the debt, he was forced to sell his farm and decided to relocate his stable of horses to Kentucky in hopes of lessening expenses. He traveled between Kentucky and California in an effort to maintain his California law practice. The relocation was a failure, resulting in the decline of his horses’ health, ongoing financial difficulties, and an undermining of the viability of his law practice. Because of his financial difficulties, in 2008, Altenberg began using client trust funds for the care and maintenance of his horses. In 2010, the State Bar began an investigation, which led to his three disciplinary proceedings.

On sanction

In a time of financial crisis, Altenberg chose to care for his horses at the expense of the duties he owed to his clients. Many attorneys experience comparable financial and emotional difficulties. “While these stresses are never easy, we must expect attorneys to cope with them without engaging in dishonest activities, as did respondent.” (In the Matter of Spaith (Review Dept. 1996) 3 Cal. State Bar Ct. Rptr. 511, 522.) “Misappropriation of a client’s funds simply cannot be excused or substantially mitigated because of an attorney’s needs, no matter how compelling.” (Hitchcock v. State Bar (1989) 48 Cal.3d 690, 709.) The severe sanction of disbarment is necessary here and is consistent with relevant case law.

He is presently on involuntary inactive status. (Mike Frisch)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If ya'll haven't watched the most recent Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, the main segment was on how awful Televangelists are and how they prey upon the poor. There's some really seriously BWM poo poo in it. Pretty torn between schadenfreude and empathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Guinness posted:

If ya'll haven't watched the most recent Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, the main segment was on how awful Televangelists are and how they prey upon the poor. There's some really seriously BWM poo poo in it. Pretty torn between schadenfreude and empathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

"Put $1000 in seed money on your credit card, and God's gonna wipe out your credit card debt."

If there was ever an argument against the First Amendment, this is it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I already commented in TVIV, but this is one of the things that bothers me most in the world. gently caress them all. I hope Satan is real so he can rape then into eternity.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

A Legal Blog posted:

Many attorneys experience comparable financial and emotional difficulties.

:catstare:

Well, it looks like accountancy, finance, medicine, law, government employment, or a career in the armed forces (particularly if you need security clearance) are no barrier to BWM, any professions left on the list?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Tawd posted:

:catstare:

Well, it looks like accountancy, finance, medicine, law, government employment, or a career in the armed forces (particularly if you need security clearance) are no barrier to BWM, any professions left on the list?

You left out banking. It's a lot like accounting BWM. One of my friends was working in the credit card processing department of a large bank. Everyone working there for a while knew all the systems, credit checks and limits for each type of card. There were the workers with no credit card debt and the others who realised they could get a huge credit limit and max out their cards. You would think seeing people applying for cards in a financial disaster and turning them down would register, apparently not.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

I hate to break up this derail, seeing as how its going so well, but we have a great horsechat bwm story:

Great story, good thing the embezzling lawyer had his law license taken away five years after the fact rather than going to jail like a normal thief.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

Devian666 posted:

You left out banking. It's a lot like accounting BWM.

You know it's going to be really good when a monthly budgeter begins to utilise financial concepts more commonly associated with nation-states.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tawd posted:

You know it's going to be really good when a monthly budgeter begins to utilise financial concepts more commonly associated with nation-states.

Blue Story on this very forum is using a weird liquidity model to justify retaining relatively massive amounts of cash on hand and also concurrent high-interest debts.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
You left out the hoarding of star wars/band merchandise, and week old food containers.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Great story, good thing the embezzling lawyer had his law license taken away five years after the fact rather than going to jail like a normal thief.

My brother had a friend whose father was a lawyer who DID go to jail for inappropriately dipping into his clients' trust accounts.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I hang out on the fico forums, because I was rebuilding my credit after being BWM for years. Now I try to give advice on things that I have learned over time and what has been successful for me. It's generally not a bad site, a lot of knowledgable people, and most people are on the right track, or legitimately don't know what to do so they seek help and get things fixed.

Other people though....

Guy who doesn't keep cars longer than 6 months posted posted:

Hello Everyone:

I wanted to get everyone opinion on my current auto loan situation.

I purchased two cars this month. 2 different banks picked up the deal. Here is the recap

GM Financial - 30k @9.90% for 72 months, 2015 Chevy Malbu LT, 565 month
Global Financial - 20k @16.99% for 72 months, 2015 Chevy Cruze LT, 450 month

Combined yearly income is $95,762 a year, (7,980 month) expenses including these car payments our bills are under 3k a month

The Cruze is for my wife and the Malbu is for me. I want to get a 2016 Tahoe in the next 6 months. I was wondering what would be best case.

I want the Tahoe payment to be around 500 a month.

How long should I wait to get it? Should I pay off the Global Financial first since the interest rate is so high? Do you think my credit scores will be higher in 6 months if I garden with the current items I have now? 20k enough for a downpayment on Tahoe to reach 500 payment? Should I just lease and buy later?

Someone at that dealership got a nice bonus this month.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

quote:

20k @16.99%

:stare:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Right? I mean I did sign and drive on my new escape, but it was 1.9% financing so I said gently caress it, compared to my last car loan at 23% (But that car only cost 5K! and I kept it for 4 years!) Also I make more money than this guy and only have 1 kid instead of 3 (one of which is 17 which means college is coming!).

He even said the guy at the dealership flat out showed him his terrible auto enhanced fico score, but he doesn't want to hear any of that, he just wants to buy a Tahoe, with an under 500 payment, with a trade in that will be worth max 15K when he goes back to the dealership in 6 months.

Besides the fact that even if he really has 3K left over a month, in 6 months that does not = 30K to have the malibu paid off.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

hanales posted:

I hang out on the fico forums, because I was rebuilding my credit after being BWM for years. Now I try to give advice on things that I have learned over time and what has been successful for me. It's generally not a bad site, a lot of knowledgable people, and most people are on the right track, or legitimately don't know what to do so they seek help and get things fixed.

Other people though....

Forget the interest. It's the mindset that baffles me the most: "I just bought two new cars, and I want another one in the next 6 months."

:psyduck:

And they are Chevys, for gently caress's sake. Might as well burn your money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

You left out banking. It's a lot like accounting BWM. One of my friends was working in the credit card processing department of a large bank. Everyone working there for a while knew all the systems, credit checks and limits for each type of card. There were the workers with no credit card debt and the others who realised they could get a huge credit limit and max out their cards. You would think seeing people applying for cards in a financial disaster and turning them down would register, apparently not.

My father was a mortgage lender and the very definition of BWM. He seemed to think his inside knowledge of the industry gave him financial superpowers, such as inexplicably not paying car and house notes when funds were in the account. I believe he thought he was making money off the interest. After they divorced my mom had three months additional payments on their Plymouth Reliant just to cover late fees. Not to mention 2k she paid 3 years earlier because of a repo. I'm not sure what that car cost new, but Wikipedia says it debuted in the early 80's at just under 6k. So they probably paid close to 3k extra on a Plymouth.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The clients probably didn't press charges. Since he's paid back almost all of it, they might have worked out a repayment plan in lieu of criminal prosecution.

I think a lot of times when you hear about an embezzler not going to jail, it's because the victim doesn't want them too. Perhaps they're a friend or they've worked with them a long time.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BossRighteous posted:

It's really interesting that you'd feel the need to defend poor rates and their criticism as religious disrespect though. You are fine to believe whatever you want but you cant walk into a money forum and ignore the math as the more important factor of discussion.

Burdensome compliance costs money. You should indeed find the best deal you can, I certainly do not dispute that. What I dispute is that the best deal is a good deal (in pure monetary terms), as it is usually a terrible deal even then.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't think we're mocking the Muslims getting the 'loans' as much as the banks who are ripping them off. There's no way 'religious paperwork' accounts for a 6% premium on a mortgage. The bank isn't crafting an artisanal loan, conferring with religious leaders on behalf of each applicant. They have template. That template may very well have cost more than standard documentation. But still it was a fixed cost that they can now use tens of thousands of times.

As I said, I do not dispute this. But I hope you do agree that there is going to be a significant premium, perhaps not necessarily 6%, but perhaps 1% or 2%, yes?

Blinkman987 posted:

Good with sanity- putting John Smith on ignore. He's an antagonistic contrarian rear end who isn't even funny.

I did not intend to be funny. While you may not agree with my views, these views are sincerely held.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

John Smith posted:

Burdensome compliance costs money. You should indeed find the best deal you can, I certainly do not dispute that. What I dispute is that the best deal is a good deal (in pure monetary terms), as it is usually a terrible deal even then.

As I said, I do not dispute this. But I hope you do agree that there is going to be a significant premium, perhaps not necessarily 6%, but perhaps 1% or 2%, yes?

I did not intend to be funny. While you may not agree with my views, these views are sincerely held.

Except rates in AU are around 4%, so that's an 8% premium. On a house.

Let's just do the math on a 250K AU house (which my research shows will buy you a shoebox with a toilet in any of the named cities).

A fixed 30 year at 12% will be 500K In interest.

That's not usury, that's violently oppressing people by preying on their religious beliefs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not sure you understand what the word violent means.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not sure you understand what the word violent means.

It's a shade of purple right?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

John Smith posted:

Lol no, more like a couple hundred extra in origination fees up front to handle filling out the religious paperwork with the interest at the market rate. Even if it costs say 20,000 for the vendor to pay some lawyer and an imam to write up and decide on paperwork/terms, an additional 500 bucks up front from each person who wants the paperwork will pay the extra cost after 40 mortgages, which a largish bank is going to do in a week in a given city. Upping the interest rate is acting like there's some ongoing additional cost which there isn't. It's not like Mighty Allah sends auditors over every week and ties up everyone's time. Assuming equal risk, a halal mortgage should have the same interest rate as any other, plus maybe a couple hundred bucks in closing costs for extra paperwork.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Yeah, it's really unrealistic to expect investment products catering specifically to highly religious Muslims might cause some added compliance-related expenses. It's not like the government might be interested in auditing those records extra carefully or anything.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
....seriously?

On another note, I wonder which restaurant that lawyer owned in Sebastopol? My mom lives up that way...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

hanales posted:

Other people though....

I have known people who go through 2-3 cars a year (and every car they buy, they swear is the one they're going to keep), but at least they were buying interesting cars, not boring Chevys.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
It came from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/3hkqwb/say_a_post_about_bitcoin_so_how_does_one_invest/ posted:

Regardless of how it's gonna do, it's pretty steadied out, and I wouldn't mind having a wallet - I once did back when we all mined our own coins, a whole .01BTC.

So, is there a way to buy BTC without going through exchanges? Obviously I can't just invest in it... but I've heard that buying anything upwards of 50 BTC you really don't want to go through an internet exchange since it's raising a red flag.

I am interested in day trading, and thats part the reason I wanna get into buying and selling bitcoin.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

The Butcher posted:

It came from Reddit:

How long is the queue to cash out to USD using the exchanges these days? I have coworkers who are highly intelligent, but also the kind of people who fall in love with anything that skirts "the worldwide banking cartel." Then they cite the price when they wanted to buy the bitcoin vs the price now and lament their perceived loss of value. I just remind them that they either would've lost all their money in Mt. Gox or they'd be sitting in queue with thousands of others.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Whatever happened to Mt gox anyway?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The coins disappeared somehow, either because they were stolen by Mark Karpeles, the guy who ran it, or they were hacked because Mark wasn't testing the exchange he programmed in a virtual machine or whatever. He just put up everything live.

Mark is now being detained by the Japanese police, after having been paid to offer advice in the investigation. A Japanese judge ruled that bitcoins aren't tangible property. Bitcoiners are still pretending that the bankruptcy court overseeing the process cares about returning the bitcoins or that they will be given any priority for cash. The people who had cash balances at Mt. Gox may have some hope.

For a while "bitcoin luminaries" would hold YouTube conferences where American 18 year olds and random Eurozone kids would pretend they had any idea how Japanese bankruptcy proceedings were handled or that they could influence the Japanese courts at all.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Blinkman987 posted:

How long is the queue to cash out to USD using the exchanges these days

None, buying and selling is super easy now

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Series DD Funding posted:

None, buying and selling is super easy now

Yeah, the Mt. Gox cash-out issue was caused by Mark Karpeles running the exchange's "fiat" side through his personal bank account which had a limit of 10 international transactions per day. The remaining exchanges are still somewhat shady but they don't have that issue.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

canyoneer posted:

I have known people who go through 2-3 cars a year (and every car they buy, they swear is the one they're going to keep), but at least they were buying interesting cars, not boring Chevys.

Right. If he had an old BMW obsession or something you can see that, because they are buying and selling and trading all the time. This guy is just bad with money/credit/cars/negotiating.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

Now the judge has said Ashley Vernon and his wife Beverley, of Tawa, north of Wellington, have to account for $280,354, plus seven years' interest, which allowed for money spent for Kenneth Vernon's benefit.

At the High Court in Wellington, Justice Stephen Kos found that Ashley Vernon knew he was due to inherit only half his father's estate and set about forestalling that by transferring virtually all of it, while his father was still alive, to himself and his wife.

But Ashley Vernon said on Wednesday that he found the court's decision difficult to believe.

"I'm just very upset and devastated and distressed that it has come to this."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/71256493/inheritance-lost-son-spends-estate-money-before-nephew-can-get-his-share

They though they could steal their father's retirement savings over 2.5 years he lived with them. They found the judge's reasonable consideration difficult to believe because they've been ordered to pay the money back. Yes difficult to believe that you have to pay the money back when you've forged cheques.

quote:

Dante Pauwels-Vernon, 19, of Otaki, who was meant to inherit half his grandfather's estate, said: "What happened to my Pop is wrong. What my aunt and uncle did is deplorable and despicable."

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Any of you not reading Blue Storys wonderful hoarder thread need to get over there right now.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Saros posted:

Any of you not reading Blue Storys wonderful hoarder thread need to get over there right now.

Can you link it? I forgot what subforum it is in

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Saros posted:

Here's a link that wasn't provided.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I'm on the first page and I"m horrified.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Saros posted:

I'd say the opposite. She's pretty BWM and in a bit of a weird marriage but it's really just E/N bullshit and a bunch of holier-than-thou goons smugly piling on.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That thread has pretty much run its course. That's why I'm back to posting an article here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Bitcoin didn't add any wealth to the world, just spread it around from the dumb to the lucky, but it did create one incredible thing of value (well 2):

http://bitcalc.beepboopbitcoin.com/
Bitcoin Mining Profit Calculator: Gaiden

You might lose a few hours of your life playing it.

• Locked thread