Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

What's the word on Shadowrun: Crossfire, Nefarious, Heroes Wanted, Biblios, and Samurai?

I have played two of the games.

Shadowun is an intense co op game, with little room for error. It gets a lot easier once you reach the first level up. I was hoping for it to be like Pathfinder, but good. It turned out it was nothing like Pathfinder, but good.

Biblios is a neat little filler with a nice auction system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Heroes Wanted

Rumda posted:

I played it a few months ago and no its not good. Every turn is like when in mage knight you draw no moves and your stuck with only the basic cards in your hand best case scenario you get a single predetermined card in your deck but still you'll accomplish nothing. I've literally had a better and more engaging experience playing Ascension and Thunderstone so that in its self should tell you how bad it is.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jedit posted:

You need Sylla. It's literally the same core idea stripped down to a 90-minute drafting and balancing game.

Thanks, that looks promising.

Archenteron posted:

The people pining for Republic of Rome should go check out Galactic Destiny. It's not the greatest, but it scratches that Senatorial politics-deals-and-backstabbing itch fairly well (Iiiiiiin spaaaaaace)

I should dig around and see if I have that map graphic and spreadsheet of the cards/senators from my original idea of running a PbF game of it. That's be... fun :kheldragar:

This too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Shadow225 posted:

What's the word on Shadowrun: Crossfire?

You need all 4 players or it is too difficult to play. Kinda interesting but it's pretty much a logic puzzle.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

signalnoise posted:

You need all 4 players or it is too difficult to play. Kinda interesting but it's pretty much a logic puzzle.

I only play it 2 player, and we win most of our games. Would advice using the tutorial mission you can get online until you reach 5 karma, though.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Shadow225 posted:

Not interested in bad games.

Then why were you asking for a price on Code of Nine?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

lordsummerisle posted:

I only play it 2 player, and we win most of our games. Would advice using the tutorial mission you can get online until you reach 5 karma, though.

If in any game I have to play the tutorial mission multiple times just to be able to survive in the shallow end something has gone wrong

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

signalnoise posted:

If in any game I have to play the tutorial mission multiple times just to be able to survive in the shallow end something has gone wrong

It isn't really a tutorial mission. More of a level 1 type affair. Think it prevents you from playing it after you reach x amount of karma.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
But can you buy an account booster that allows you to grind levels faster for a week or so?

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

But can you buy an account booster that allows you to grind levels faster for a week or so?

It's your game. You can just slap 5 karma on your characters from the start. Go for it.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Crossfire is more card game and less RPG than pathfinder.

It feels like team lockpicking, and plays pretty well.

If I was a poor kid with just this game and a static group I'd be ecstatic with it. As it stands the notion of grinding a board game is impossible since my group has more games than time, and cheating ahead too far past the first xp roadblock means we'd probably never play it again.

If there was a web version where you had your own characters with a matchmaking service, tooled to take advantage of the digital platform it'd probably be an excellent game.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Yeah, the whole upgrade between games falls flat. I really want a neat rpg lite game with progression between sessions. I think Pathfinder did that part well. Unfortunately, the game itself is terrible.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

Also the Decadence card may cause some offence, though Ystari helpfully include a slightly censored version.

I looked it up to see what the big deal was; there's a BGG post which includes the censored and then the uncensored images. The first thing I thought was "But how does that triangle stay on her bottom if she's not wearing any clothing?"

But then I figured it out. Good story, I know.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
So we're all equally excited about Seafall, right?

I for one have already cranked my unrealistic-expectation meter all the way up to nearly Matrix II levels.

As always, BGG has all the hot scoops

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thuly posted:

Crossfire is more card game and less RPG than pathfinder.

Card game? I think you are playing the wrong Crossfire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Going to be streaming twilight imperium with a bunch of people who have never played it.

twitch.tv/theislandgames

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Going to be streaming twilight imperium with a bunch of people who have never played it.

twitch.tv/theislandgames

Good luck!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Skyl3lazer posted:

twitch.tv/theislandgames

RIP

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skyl3lazer posted:

twitch.tv/theislandgames
Lol good luck. Island games? As in the store in VA?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Skyl3lazer posted:

twitch.tv/theislandgames

Oh my god this is loving awful.

-5 player game using RAW
-Some dude basically reading whole manual aloud before game
-Distant Suns tokens on the table
-Host only kinda knows the rules himself

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
plus a LOT of whining about poo poo they don't understand. Ouch.

"I've had a third of an Angry Orchard and I'm done already" :psypop:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 19, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I had to turn the stream off. It's too painful watching someone so awful at teaching games try to herd people through TI3. I seriously can't believe he's sitting there reading rules minutiae aloud from the rulebook before the 1st turn has even started. What a loving idiot.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Archenteron posted:

The people pining for Republic of Rome should go check out Galactic Destiny. It's not the greatest, but it scratches that Senatorial politics-deals-and-backstabbing itch fairly well (Iiiiiiin spaaaaaace)

I should dig around and see if I have that map graphic and spreadsheet of the cards/senators from my original idea of running a PbF game of it. That's be... fun :kheldragar:

My recollection of looking into Galactic Destiny was that it was approximately as convoluted as Republic of Rome and not much easier to obtain. And that the corrected rules needed to be obtained online.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly, if I'm gonna play something like TI I want it to be with some pro-tier alpha nerds who have already read the book and done the required prespergeration

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This reminds me I should actually sit down and learn the rules to Empire of the Sun instead of pushing ships around and hoping my brother doesn't correct me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Honestly, if I'm gonna play something like TI I want it to be with some pro-tier alpha nerds who have already read the book and done the required prespergeration

Hey-yo.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have met a handful of people in a local boardgame meetup who showed up to a game having watched a "how to play video" beforehand and even helped with setup and knew what was up before the first turn. This blew my mind and I want to marry each and every one of them.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Silliness aside, SU&SD's video on how to teach a board game has some good tips. Mostly don't be a dick and try to dictate the rules to your friends/prisoners.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The big thing the su&sd video mentioned was rehearsing a teaching session. Probably not necessary for Dixit or Codenames, but useful for anything meatier.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Countblanc posted:

The big thing the su&sd video mentioned was rehearsing a teaching session. Probably not necessary for Dixit or Codenames, but useful for anything meatier.

I like to do this in the car on the way to the event, personally.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I always use someone's video on the internet, it's just the best way. :thumbsup:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I always use someone's video on the internet, it's just the best way. :thumbsup:

Most people I've met aren't willing to crowd around a laptop and watch Rodney explain a game over 25 minutes, as wonderful as that would be.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Most people I've met aren't willing to crowd around a laptop and watch Rodney explain a game over 25 minutes, as wonderful as that would be.

A video that's more directed at people who have all the real components in front of them would be pretty good, actually.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I always end up having to teach most every game we play. I can certainly improve at it but here are some things I try to do.

-Know the game yourself (seems obvious but really is the most important thing)

-Check BGG for player aids and/or rulebook summaries and clarifications. Some games (like TI3) have TERRIBLE rules for looking things up, and no matter how much you prepare somebody will probably ask a question you don't know the answer to which will leave you hurriedly turning from page to page desperately looking for the rules on planetary defense systems or something . One of the worst gaming sessions I ever had was a game of Arkham Horror that we attempted to play with way too many people and a host who had never played before. We basically spent the entire game watching TV while he frantically searched the manual for rules.

- On that note, if you can't find a rule don't be afraid to just make a call and look it up later. Right or wrong, at least the game will keep moving along.

- Clearly explain what everyone is doing (the game structure) and what the objective is (how to win). My one friend starts every game explanation like 'well you have these cards and you can take two actions a turn but then you pull a bad card and..... blah blah blah' and I always have to tell him to stop, slow down, and tell us our goal and what the game is all about. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the details.

- If at all possible, set up the game ahead of time ESPECIALLY for games like TI3 that take forever to set up. If not, do whatever you can to organize your box ahead of time so that you don't spend too much time searching for a starter tile or whatever.

- Skip unnecessary or tedious rules! For example, online you can find 'balanced' TI3 setups for any number of players. Just use that and skip the whole 'lets build the map together' phase until people know what the hell they are doing. Along that same note, try to avoid expansions unless your friends are experienced in the game. Exceptions can be made for expansions that 'fix' the core game (looking at you FFG) or don't really add any new rules or complexity (extra cosmic encounter races). It can be REALLY tempting to dive into that new expansion you just got for that game you really love, but often I find it is a bit overwhelming for newer players (this is why I'll never get to play that Dungeon Lords expansion I bought).

- USE EXAMPLES! Don't just explain combat, have two people actually roll dice and fight each other. Have them make some decisions and tell them what happened. Make sure everyone is involved (I like to ask questions to people who get distracted by their phones or other stuff). I think it's also fun to personalize the rules if you know your group ('Remember last week when Bill betrayed Alex and won the game? In THIS game you can't break an alliance until such-and-such card is played').

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

drat Dirty Ape posted:

- Clearly explain what everyone is doing (the game structure) and what the objective is (how to win). My one friend starts every game explanation like 'well you have these cards and you can take two actions a turn but then you pull a bad card and..... blah blah blah' and I always have to tell him to stop, slow down, and tell us our goal and what the game is all about. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the details.

Yeah, context is critical for learning. I think this is one of the more important ones.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Countblanc posted:

Which is why I use Chromecast so people can watch on the TV.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also give them poo poo to touch while you explain it to them. When I explained L.E.D to my friends, they paid more attention to explanations when it was one of them looking at the pieces and asking "what is this?" than if I had just held the piece in my hand while explaining and pointing to it.

That said gently caress rulebooks that are missing rules to poo poo like "what happens if the deck ran out" in a game in which you will go through the deck almost twice per match while being at its recommended player size.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cuba Libre is getting an expansion? That's sorta weird. For some reason, I like the idea of COIN games being "complete," unlike other games which could very easily have expansions (Forbidden Stars, for example) if needed. Just very...huh.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Card game? I think you are playing the wrong Crossfire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Literally every time I draw a crossfire card in Combat Commander I have to stop myself from singing this so my opponent doesn't know I have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What does COIN mean, by the way? I've seen it mentioned on post Cold War military talkd but Google is failing me. :v: