Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Is it even possible to dodge Spaz's chain charges without a dash accessory? o_O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

Asphalt.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

I believe falling and ascending diagonally (with decent wings) are quick enough, might be speed bonus dependent.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

watho posted:

Maybe replace the Shield of Cthulu with a Worm Scarf, otherwise it looks good. I personally prefer frost armor over Titanium and Hallow but it's gonna be a pain getting all that titanium again.

I wouldn't replace the Shield of Cthulhu with anything, it makes dodging all manner of boss attacks much, much easier and makes circling the boss much safer. As an added bonus, any boss that uses a quick ramming attack (the Eye, Queen Bee, the Twins, Duke Fishron) can be countered by charging when they do so; they will take minor damage and you will bounce off them unharmed. Definitely a must have all the way to the endgame.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

You can't legitimately have Asphalt at that point anyway. Wings are plenty. A Unicorn might work too.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 19, 2015

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Or a really long minecart track. Just hop on, summon the bosses, and go. Probably tougher with yo-yos, melee, etc.; but as a ranged/caster/summoner it's great.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Supremezero posted:

You can't legitimately have Asphalt at that point anyway. Wings are plenty.

If you kill the destroyer or prime the Steampunker will move in and then you can make asphalt for the twins.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

It's not TOTALLY blind. I've been restarting for a variety of reasons a number of times. Soooo. Steam says I have 259 hours in the game so far, if that tells you anything. 99% of which was post 1.3! This is the first playthrough where I've attempted the Mech bosses, though, let alone killed one! So. It's effectively blind for the parts of the game that actually matter to most people.

I have all the materials to make a Megashark, even the Shark Fins, but I was really trying to stick to the yoyo. S'pose it's an option. :newlol:

Full Hallowed + a Yelets right now. On the best attempt I had him down to 2k, but four hours later, the best I managed was 5 or 6 since. Guessing I should probably go back to Titanium for the set bonus, too.

Build screenshot for the hell of it.

I don't remember melee armor, but I don't think the Obsidian Shield and those boots are really doing anything for you in that fight? Try swapping them out for other things, like the Worm Scarf (that damage reduction is Very Important in Expert) and, I dunno, maybe a Band of Regeneration or a Cross Necklace?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't remember melee armor, but I don't think the Obsidian Shield and those boots are really doing anything for you in that fight? Try swapping them out for other things, like the Worm Scarf (that damage reduction is Very Important in Expert) and, I dunno, maybe a Band of Regeneration or a Cross Necklace?

Just remember that Scarf's damage reduction is applied after defense. That means it's only good for really damaging attacks and becomes less effective the more base defense you have. For full hallowed gear with all warding accessories plus ironskin it's about as effective as Flesh Knuckles against Twins (roughly 80/100 raw damage, 1st/2nd phase). With better armor it's even more situational.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Unrelated question: what's the deal with Deathweed and the Staff of Regrowth? Wiki says you're supposed to be able to harvest Deathweed with it anytime once it's fully grown and get the seeds as if it was in bloom and that did work for me like twice, but haven't been able to do it since I entered HM and then some.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Spergminer posted:

If you kill the destroyer or prime the Steampunker will move in and then you can make asphalt for the twins.

If you kill Destroyer you've got the drat Megashark, who cares about Asphalt.

Toadsmash posted:

Unrelated question: what's the deal with Deathweed and the Staff of Regrowth? Wiki says you're supposed to be able to harvest Deathweed with it anytime once it's fully grown and get the seeds as if it was in bloom and that did work for me like twice, but haven't been able to do it since I entered HM and then some.
Staff of Regrowth only works like that when you're harvesting plants on their natural terrain. Doesn't work with pots or planters.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 19, 2015

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Supremezero posted:

If you kill Destroyer you've got the drat Megashark, who cares about Asphalt.

Staff of Regrowth only works like that when you're harvesting plants on their natural terrain. Doesn't work with pots or planters.

Works for me. It gives me like 4 seeds per plant.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

It does give the bonus seeds for me from pots, but it doesn't have the specific effect of letting me harvest them outside their normal bloom period. Really doesn't matter for anything besides Deathweed. Waiting for a Blood Moon every time to harvest them is a tad bit of a pain.

So I need to set up a corrupt grass farm. Good to know.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Toadsmash posted:

It does give the bonus seeds for me from pots, but it doesn't have the specific effect of letting me harvest them outside their normal bloom period. Really doesn't matter for anything besides Deathweed. Waiting for a Blood Moon every time to harvest them is a tad bit of a pain.

So I need to set up a corrupt grass farm. Good to know.

can't you also harvest them during the full moon?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Excelzior posted:

can't you also harvest them during the full moon?

Honestly, Blood Moons are probably more common than Full Moons anyway...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

PassingPie posted:

I wouldn't replace the Shield of Cthulhu with anything, it makes dodging all manner of boss attacks much, much easier and makes circling the boss much safer. As an added bonus, any boss that uses a quick ramming attack (the Eye, Queen Bee, the Twins, Duke Fishron) can be countered by charging when they do so; they will take minor damage and you will bounce off them unharmed. Definitely a must have all the way to the endgame.

I've never needed a dash but I can see where you're coming from, though the Master Ninja Gear is a lot better than the Shield of Cthulu.

Also, if an attack deals 100 damage the worm scarf will reduce that damage by a number equivalent to what 68 points of defense would do on expert mode.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

PassingPie posted:

The one accessory I hope they add to 1.3.1 is the Ankh Shield of Cthulhu.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cryohazard posted:

The one accessory I hope they add to 1.3.1 is the Ankh Shield of Cthulhu.

Paladin's Celestial Ankh Shield of Cthulhu

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Evil Fluffy posted:

Paladin's Celestial Ankh Shield of Cthulhu

Captain Planet.

Made BY ALL YOUR ACCESSORIES COMBINED!

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

The flight effect from Rocket/Frostspark Boots gives a large boost to flight time when you also have wings equipped. That's the main reason I've been holding onto em. Longer flight time also has endless utility in boss fights.

Thinking dropping Obsidian Shield for Worm Scarf will be the way to go. Knockback immunity might actually be counterproductive in this situation.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

watho posted:

Also, if an attack deals 100 damage the worm scarf will reduce that damage by a number equivalent to what 68 points of defense would do on expert mode.

Er, that doesn't sound right.

68 points of defense = 51 pts of damage reduction in expert mode.

An attack that deals 100 damage *after* your defense's damage reduction would be reduced by 17 for 83 damage with the worm scarf. An attack dealing 100 damage *before* your defense would be reduced by even less.

Where on earth is your math coming from for this.

Edit: I think you believe defense is worth 25% its value in DR in expert. It's actually worth 75%, more than it is in normal.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 19, 2015

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Part of the issue with Worm Scarf is also that it doesn't do anything to reduce the damage from Cursed Inferno, though, which accounts for a good sized chunk of Spazmatism's damage output.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

:eyepop:

I was able to simply tank the golem in expert with 4 players. Do "enemies are more likely to attack" items stack? He was attacking me exclusively.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ali Aces posted:

Er, that doesn't sound right.

68 points of defense = 51 pts of damage reduction in expert mode.

An attack that deals 100 damage *after* your defense's damage reduction would be reduced by 17 for 83 damage with the worm scarf. An attack dealing 100 damage *before* your defense would be reduced by even less.

Where on earth is your math coming from for this.

Edit: I think you believe defense is worth 25% its value in DR in expert. It's actually worth 75%, more than it is in normal.

Holy poo poo! I've been doing the math with 25% all this time.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

padijun posted:

:eyepop:

I was able to simply tank the golem in expert with 4 players. Do "enemies are more likely to attack" items stack? He was attacking me exclusively.

Almost certain they do. Otherwise there wouldn't be much reason for that effect to be on every single piece of melee-tank armor in those sets.

Am I right in assuming that turtle armor is way better for solo-play than the beetle upgrades? Or should I shoot for one of the two sets?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like the high damage beetle set for soloing with an eye of cthulhu + yoyo kit

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Bluhman posted:

Almost certain they do. Otherwise there wouldn't be much reason for that effect to be on every single piece of melee-tank armor in those sets.

Am I right in assuming that turtle armor is way better for solo-play than the beetle upgrades? Or should I shoot for one of the two sets?

Beetle shell is good for solo bc I hate having to dodge. You do miss thorns, but its not useful against bosses, and the enemies that it is effective against you can pop with a mouseclick anyway. If you roll with all warding accessories you can do turtle to get some attack back, but my main loadout is heavy with attack modifiers so the shells extra defense was very useful indeed.

If expert mode, defense is the most important attribute

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Bluhman posted:

The extra defense from Beetle really helped me out against the Lunar Event enemies. Upgrading my Turtle armor made a difference for me.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The most annoying thing about the melee armor is that getting the beetle shells is way easier than the turtle shells. Stupid turtles.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I knew this morning that Platinum stacks over 99. I'll likely know when I get home if it stacks over 999. Thanks, coin-and-ring-dropping Pirates!

It's too bad the Vortex Pillar destroys me. I'm thinking I finally have to farm up that last turtle shell for beetle armor and go yoyo or something. The Pulse Bow isn't as cool in open areas.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Mailer posted:

I knew this morning that Platinum stacks over 99. I'll likely know when I get home if it stacks over 999. Thanks, coin-and-ring-dropping Pirates!

It's too bad the Vortex Pillar destroys me. I'm thinking I finally have to farm up that last turtle shell for beetle armor and go yoyo or something. The Pulse Bow isn't as cool in open areas.

If you're not swimming in buffs the pillars will wreck you until you craft some endgame poo poo from the materials they drop.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nothing from the Vortex pillar can attack you through walls. It can spawn stuff on top of you if you're not in front of a background wall, and I think it has some unavoidable orb attack as long as a path towards you exists, but if happens to spawn near the dungeon or a building, you can cheese it dead with anything that can attack through walls.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Mailer posted:

Use the Stardust Dragon minion and Vampire Knives. UFO flying mount, too, if possible.

Once you beat the Vortex pillar you can craft the Vortex beater, which (with chlorophyte bullets) is what I used to kite the Moon Lord with the UFO mount.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Pillar enemies only spawn when the pillar background is visible. If you're having trouble, stay near the transition points for the background. If you're getting overwhelmed, retreat out of the pillar background and pillar enemies will stop spawning, so you can finish off what's currently onscreen or heal up at your leisure.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I apparently hilariously overprepared for Plantera. Having never done the fight before, I killed her on the first try in Expert mode and it wasn't even close. What a freakishly out of place difficulty slump. Guess I should enjoy it while it lasts reading this last page!

Mining out the arena amidst the HM underground jungle's obnoxious respawn rates (this was even with Peace Candles and chain chugging Calm Pots) was far harder than the boss itself. I got my Turtle Shells in the process and finished my Ankh Shield finally, so can't complain too much.

Is it pretty normal to be really, REALLY reluctant to give up the Hallowed set's melee bonuses for turtle armor with a yoyo build?

Also, holy poo poo Solar Eclipses do not gently caress around. At least the drop I really need from the damned things I couldn't get pre Plantera anyway.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 22, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Toadsmash posted:

I apparently hilariously overprepared for Plantera. Having never done the fight before, I killed her on the first try in Expert mode and it wasn't even close. What a freakishly out of place difficulty slump. Guess I should enjoy it while it lasts reading this last page!

Mining out the arena amidst the HM underground jungle's obnoxious respawn rates (this was even with Peace Candles and chain chugging Calm Pots) was far harder than the boss itself. I got my Turtle Shells in the process and finished my Ankh Shield finally, so can't complain too much.

Is it pretty normal to be really, REALLY reluctant to give up the Hallowed set's melee bonuses for turtle armor with a yoyo build?

Also, holy poo poo Solar Eclipses do not gently caress around. At least the drop I really need from the damned things I couldn't get pre Plantera anyway.

Yes it is abnormal, since Hallowed set's melee bonuses do literally nothing for Yoyos. They don't get speed modifiers.

Anyway, Plantera's difficulty only really applies if you aren't going to mine everything. It's ability to move is actually dependent on it.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 22, 2015

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Speaking of Plantera, will it enrage if I lure it into a nearby granite section? It would be a pretty good premade arena, but I don't know if it still counts as part of the jungle. There is jungle on both sides if that matters, it isn't right at the edge or anything.

Also, holy poo poo eclipses do not gently caress around. I killed all three mechanical bosses without breaking a sweat, but the sheer numbers and the ridiculous aggression from the Mothrons hosed me up. And the only thing I got out of it was a crappy Neptune's Shell.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

kvx687 posted:

Speaking of Plantera, will it enrage if I lure it into a nearby granite section? It would be a pretty good premade arena, but I don't know if it still counts as part of the jungle. There is jungle on both sides if that matters, it isn't right at the edge or anything.

Also, holy poo poo eclipses do not gently caress around. I killed all three mechanical bosses without breaking a sweat, but the sheer numbers and the ridiculous aggression from the Mothrons hosed me up. And the only thing I got out of it was a crappy Neptune's Shell.

Magnet Sphere from the dungeon will stunlock Mothrons into the ground for like 75% of the time.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Is there some secret to making Vampires spawn during an eclipse? The last 5 of them I've done, only 2-3 Vampires spawn during the entire event. It makes farming for the Moon Stone tedious as gently caress. The wiki says they're supposed to be the most common enemy, but I either have terrible luck or something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Is there some sort of timer bug with statues? I've got four teleporters in sequence with heart statues. Everything is hooked up to a single one second timer. Before each Moon Lord summon I need to repeatedly load the game and click the timer to see if the hearts will start spawning correctly. At one point during an early run, where I just barely saved it by teleporting home four times for healing, I teleported back and the already-activated timer started making hearts spawn again. I have no idea. :/

LLCoolJD posted:

Use the Stardust Dragon minion and Vampire Knives. UFO flying mount, too, if possible.

Well I couldn't get the dragon until I beat a pillar, but what worked out well was ufo + offense beetle armor + possessed hatchet. The solar pillar required trickery by hiding in a two-block-wide shaft and firing up, but it worked out well enough. I got vampire knives later when I raided the dungeon but so far haven't gotten much use out of them.