Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Potsticker posted:

Still two less episodes than "Let's introduce every single cast member in two episode arcs for the beginning of Fourze which just dragged on when watching it week to week. There has been mention that it's not so bad if you binge through it, but it soured me on Fourze a little in the beginning.

except those are characters and not toy ads, and not only that they're characters that will be interacting with Gen for the rest of the entire story so it's important to get to know them and why they appreciate him? And it's more interesting to have a character at least have an arc at the beginning than to have them all be perfect coming in?

I haven't seen this wizard poo poo except the first couple of episodes (which were stupid) but it does not sound like defensible storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Still two less episodes than "Let's introduce every single cast member in two episode arcs for the beginning of Fourze which just dragged on when watching it week to week. There has been mention that it's not so bad if you binge through it, but it soured me on Fourze a little in the beginning.

Haha yeah, as someone who binged both series Fourze's intro felt alot less egregious. The momentum of starting up a new series made it alot easier to swallow.

(Meteor's way too long arc, though......................)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

Haha yeah, as someone who binged both series Fourze's intro felt alot less egregious. The momentum of starting up a new series made it alot easier to swallow.

(Meteor's way too long arc, though......................)

Luckily Fourze had such a great middle portion and everything smoothed out. And the KRC was all fun once the introductions were out of the way. It's really too bad the Meteor/Tachibana plot ended up having such an unsatisfying conclusion because the build up was pretty compelling.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Burkion posted:

Their tone falls more in line with the more serious shows from the Showa Era, like X or V3.

Made for modern audiences anyways. Don't let the Drill Rhinos and Starfish Hitler's fool you, some of the Showa Series were screwed up.

The W and beyond era is far more...safe and friendly, I guess. Which says something since W had a bunch of drug abuse stuff as part of its narrative.

In one of the earlier episodes of V3, one of the Shocker mutants karate chops off a dudes head. Grimdark indeed :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Potsticker posted:

It was good if you just watched it as it aired, you just have bad taste.

Also a huge difference between episodes about Gen winning over and being friends with the supporting cast (Which, y'know, kind of his whole thing from literally the first episode) and episodes about introing the new toys

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

AzraelNewtype posted:

Cough. Corin got real sick of waiting in the years between timing the series and that post replied to you, so he just released these, which all just work with the raws (sort of, since the only seeded raws now are 60fps, introducing occasional frame bleeding) Bunny Hat put out. As far as I know they're only retimed, no other edits, but that's like 90% of the battle to make it watchable.

Also yellow subs own.

Haha holy poo poo, that owns. Now no one has an excuse to not watch Kuuga. And yeah, yellow subs own, but they're a good shorthand for indicating that people may find something dated.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Also a huge difference between episodes about Gen winning over and being friends with the supporting cast (Which, y'know, kind of his whole thing from literally the first episode) and episodes about introing the new toys

Technically, Fourze introduced new characters and new toys at the same time. I believe Tomoko and J's arcs introduced Fire States and Elec States respectively, and every arc at that point introduced a new switch or two.

Fourze's plot definitely took a long time to get going but I still enjoyed getting there because the cast was so fun.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Technically, Fourze introduced new characters and new toys at the same time. I believe Tomoko and J's arcs introduced Fire States and Elec States respectively, and every arc at that point introduced a new switch or two.

Fourze's plot definitely took a long time to get going but I still enjoyed getting there because the cast was so fun.

Yup. Fourze was a really fun show and despite giving us a tiny happy meal toy for just about every episode it didn't really distract from that.

I still love that he had an arm attachment for his arm slots and an arm attachment for his leg slots.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I mean they weren't episodes specifically revolving around hey kids check out the sweet new action figure!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The morality of Shinkenger episode 2 is odd, but I'm interested in seeing where it goes with it's ideas and characters.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

I watched those episodes as they aired and also thought that they were way dragged out and not fun. And Fourze also did a whole lot of new toy episodes too. You just might not remember them since they were all in the first half of the show. Introducing Wizard's forms wasn't as bad because they only showed up, seemingly out of nowhere at the end when they were needed in a fight. In that sense they were no different than Kuuga introducing his forms and then his forms' upgrades.

Speaking of which.... Kuuga is a hard show to watch. A year or so ago I said, "If Kuuga has any issues its that everything happens at a snails pace. Not so much in regards to the series plotline but in episodes themselves. Characters take for loving ever to just, for example, make and drink tea, then spend an interminable amount of time commenting about how good it tastes. Its not shot with the manic quickness of a kids show, which is fine, but its incredibly slow pace is not fine. Agito had this too and even to a small extent Ryuki." Furthermore, the super high casualty counts that get tossed around aren't as dark as everyone says they are. Its like Dr. Evil demanding a billion dollars- in a way I found it funny. Certainly Agito's almost once per episode on-screen civilian deaths were "dark"er even if it was only two or three deaths instead of a whole load of off-screen people.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, the plot moves at a decent clip but the moment-to-moment pacing is just absolutely molasses. It's directed in the style of older Japanese dramas and, frankly, those can be painful to watch for the same reason.

Kuuga's still probably my favorite despite that, because all those character moments add up and it all sets a tone that's very much unlike the rest of the franchise. There's something very... hometown-ish about Kuuga.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Actually, it's Chomolungma."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Eiji is amazing and I was completely sold on him the moment he punched a power box in when Maki was acting like an emotionless dick.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Does Takeru ever stop being such a dick?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

WickedHate posted:

He lightens up a bit as the series progresses. His attitude and the reasons behind it get directly addressed as well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, that's actually one of the main themes of the series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Takeru lightens up like episode 6 or something. Then it becomes non-existent once his backstory and 6th sentai joins in.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

Takeru lightens up like episode 6 or something. Then it becomes non-existent once his backstory and THE GREATEST 6th sentai joins in.

Episode 18 is when Shinkenger became top tier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But Signalman isn't in Shinkenger?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Signal man is a piece of poo poo who abandoned his family. Poor sweet Signalwoman and Signalboy.

(Also he's as much of a 6 as Rio or Mele are)

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 20, 2015

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

The correct answer is Gokai Silver :ssh:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The correct answer is Gokai Silver :ssh:

:yeah:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I never liked Gokai Silver. When I was watching it it felt like he got way too much focus as an individual during the series; like the middle parts of the series were more about him then the interplanetary pirate gang looking for treasure

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Takeru is a legitimately well-written character in a story which considering he's the star of a toy commercial is a loving miracle.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Stallion Cabana posted:

I never liked Gokai Silver. When I was watching it it felt like he got way too much focus as an individual during the series; like the middle parts of the series were more about him then the interplanetary pirate gang looking for treasure

That's because it was more about him than the pirates who were not actually interested in being a proper Sentai team, because his entire arc is teaching them to be a Sentai team.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

That's because Gokai Silver actually enjoyed interacting with the plot while most of the Gokaigers had to be loving dragged kicking and screaming into things.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

No Idea who Gokai Silver is really.
:pirate:Gooookaiiiiii Silveeeeeerrrrrr:pirate: on the other hand is great.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

That's because it was more about him than the pirates who were not actually interested in being a proper Sentai team, because his entire arc is teaching them to be a Sentai team.

Yea, exactly. He's the only Earthling besides Aka who gives a crap :v:

Basically, Gokai Silver's awesomeness is inversely proportional to how lame his henshin toy is.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yea, exactly. He's the only Earthling besides Aka who gives a crap :v:

Basically, Gokai Silver's awesomeness is inversely proportional to how lame his henshin toy is.

It was 100% appropriate to make Gokai Silver's henshin phone into an action figure display case. I stand by my glorious, nerdy son and his idiot phone

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My main problem with GokaiSilver is that the series seems to totally focus on him the moment he joins. We have this gang of total badasses (even Doc), and then suddenly, hey, here's a nerd, now he's the main character yay! I mean seriously, we already had a Sentai for that (and it is a drat good one), so why did we need this?

The saddest thing is that I do like Gai as a character, I just hate that the writers seem to have a gigantic need to shove him everywhere, far beyond the usual time the sixth gets. Hell, he gets the say on how to use the Greatest Treasure in the Universe despite being the only one who didn't have a reason to get it, and he gets the final hit on the last boss of the series despite this usually being a Red or team move. He wasn't NEARLY as bad as some examples that came after him (I'M GETTING FIRED UP), but still...

The second Movie Wars made me like him a lot more though. It was a terrible, terrible movie, but it portrayed Gai as truly heroic and awesome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He was the main focus for like 10 episodes, then he became a team member again as the others got their time to shine, then the last 20 or so was Marvelous vs. his rival, with some snippets of Joe. I rewatched Gokaiger recently, and the Gai focus is overblown. He's not Right, Daigo or Ninninger Red levels of attention whoreness.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Blaze Dragon posted:

My main problem with GokaiSilver is that the series seems to totally focus on him the moment he joins. We have this gang of total badasses (even Doc), and then suddenly, hey, here's a nerd, now he's the main character yay! I mean seriously, we already had a Sentai for that (and it is a drat good one), so why did we need this?

Badasses who have no desire to actually do their job, or interest in the previous series heroes that the tsunami prompted to come in droves.

Also, please tell me you aren't referring to Akibaranger for your nerd fronted Sentai. If you aren't, I don't know what you do mean, and if you are you've decided that a show that started in April 2012 came before one that ended February of the same year (and serves a very different role, what with it being explicitly for adults and not at all the target demographic of the main series). And even if you do have a different one in mind, you must be talking about something that aired before the target demographic was born.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Takeru is a legitimately well-written character in a story which considering he's the star of a toy commercial is a loving miracle.

It mostly just bothers me because the plot of the first three episodes were how everyone should shut up and listen to him. Ryunosuke's behavior towards him is portrayed as funny, but ultimately right I guess? His behavior toward Kotoha never got refuted, and then he was the only reason Chiaki was able to beat a monster...I'm glad it'll get better.

Tae posted:

He's not Right, Daigo or Ninninger Red levels of attention whoreness.

I don't get the claim Daigo stole the spotlight. He never seemed to drain attention away from the others any more than being the main character usually does.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Utchy is the best sixth, and if you don't believe me, you clearly haven't seen him arrive. (Also his theme song is love :allears: )

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah Daigo's perfectness and superiority was basically just kind of glossed over, like the episode where Kyoryu Gray makes them shrink down and fight battles with the dinosaurs while under handicaps, all the focus was on the other four characters. Daigo just shows up at the end and goes "Oh yeah I had to deal with all four of your handicaps at once" and nothing more is said about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

Daigo just shows up at the end and goes "Oh yeah I had to deal with all four of your handicaps at once" and nothing more is said about it.

That episode was great because it pointed out that by being so good at everything already, there was no room to grow and get better. Having no weaknesses was a legitimate weakness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The toppest tier sixth ranger if you're not counting people who aren't technically rangers are Megasilver and Dragonranger. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

WickedHate posted:

That episode was great because it pointed out that by being so good at everything already, there was no room to grow and get better. Having no weaknesses was a legitimate weakness.

People liked to mock that, but it really does make sense. I experienced a similar thing in elementary school; I was naturally just good at math, reading, etc, that I never had to push myself and actually try, or learn any study habits or whatnot. Flash forward to late high school and especially college and I was struggling because I had no idea how to handle academic stuff that challenged me. King had the same issue with punchmanning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Solo final boss fights are usually boring when Sentai does it, that's why Gokaiger was cool and Shinkenger managed to avoid it despite literally being a Sentai of serving the Red leader.

• Locked thread