Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Willersey, Gloucestershire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

snappo posted:

This is really cool. How did you get the straight vertical lines? Perspective correction or did you crop out a big chunk of the lower frame?

Thanks, it's just a healthy dose of perspective correction in LR.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Biblioteca Delfini, Modena by alkanphel, on Flickr

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

The orange haze is from the sun filtering through a cloud of wildfire smoke

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
To be honest it looks like its supposed to be that colour, with maybe a little bit of twiddling with white balance on your end.

I like it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Naselle Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It's that rare mix of scary and full daylight

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

P6661724.jpg by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Oh, NEAT.

There's something about visiting home that makes me wish I was one of the New Topographics. I'm finding, however, that there is a fine line between a 'dry portrait of beauty in banality' and 'a snapshot.'

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

thetzar fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 19, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

1 year ago me would have wondered why the gently caress you even kept this photo.

I loving love it now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Any suggestions for landscape shots in Grand Teton/Yellowstone? Maybe something off the beaten path?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Got a cheap digital camera and started taking pics of the wilderness, not really sure what I'm doing but its a lot of fun

Boko Haram fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 19, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Boko Haram posted:

Got a cheap digital camera and started taking pics of the wilderness, not really sure what I'm doing but its a lot of fun

If you're having fun then you're doing it right.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I like those. It's not easy to make really green shots of forest etc like those look good - you have a good eye for composition. Keep at it! But you should put a line break between each photo when you post them, it makes them easier to look at and distinguish.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

God drat.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Boko Haram posted:

Keep doing it dude

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

thetzar posted:

Oh, NEAT.

There's something about visiting home that makes me wish I was one of the New Topographics. I'm finding, however, that there is a fine line between a 'dry portrait of beauty in banality' and 'a snapshot.'

You definitely have a fantastic thing going with your usual stuff but this is hella rad.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

thetzar posted:

Oh, NEAT.

These are good

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I dont get it? Whats so great about the last one?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Musei Capitolini by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
- by Saucy Bratwurst, on Flickr

I uploaded this to flickr, realised I wasn't happy with it 10s later and went to delete it, some random guy with 40k followers had already favourited it

Guess its not as poo poo as I thought? I really want to go back and get more of the sky in the shot

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 19, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Don't worry about some guy with 40k followers, going by his photo stream I'm not sure why he has so many.

Get the photo the way you want it first, then ask for critique.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I uploaded this to flickr, realised I wasn't happy with it 10s later and went to delete it, some random guy with 40k followers had already favourited it

Guess its not as poo poo as I thought? I really want to go back and get more of the sky in the shot

Getting faves can be a nice ego stroke but fave getting is more about finding an audience than it is about your work being "good". And some people spend lots of time following huge numbers of people (sometimes subsequently unfollowing them) in the hopes that those people will reciprocate with a follow. As a result there are people who post nothing but snapshots of their kids who get 99+ faves on all their photos. Does that mean those photos are good?

Do what Spedman suggests. Post photos you are happy with and try not to be too influenced by whether or not you get faves from strangers whose work you don't know.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spedman posted:

Don't worry about some guy with 40k followers, going by his photo stream I'm not sure why he has so many.

Get the photo the way you want it first, then ask for critique.

Is buying follows a thing like likes on facebook? I didn't look at his shots but they all seem average as hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Any suggestions for landscape shots in Grand Teton/Yellowstone? Maybe something off the beaten path?

If you're not doing back country hiking, nothing in those parks is off the beaten path. The good news is you can point the camera at just about anything and get some cool scenery.

The least visited part of Yellowstone I can think of is the blacktail plateau drive. Is a dirt road but city cars can handle it okay, and not many people drive it.

There's some good stuff on the west side of the Tetons but I haven't done it myself so can't be much of a guide.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

What's more important is whether you like your photo or not, and not whether random guy on Flickr likes it. I regularly get people liking photos I don't really like that much on my Flickr stream and there are many photos I love but no one faves. All you get out of it is an aggregate feel of what the general/random person on the street is going to like your photo or not, but it should affect your own feelings towards the photo. Otherwise you're going to end up pandering to the tastes of others online.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I'm really enjoying these.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Everyone knows the only real success metric for your photo is tumblr reblogs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually it's the number of times your photo is quoted on the internet website forums dot somethingawful dot com.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

xzzy posted:

Actually it's the number of times your photo is quoted on the internet website forums dot somethingawful dot com.

What about when someone quotes your photo to tell you to throw your camera in a canyon and kill yourself?

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Thoogsby posted:

What about when someone quotes your photo to tell you to throw your camera in a canyon and kill yourself?

It is art.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Thoogsby posted:

You provoked an emotional response so

erephus posted:

It is art.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
tires by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Don't worry. It's poo poo.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Here are a couple more.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

I'd like this more if you cropped out the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Don't worry. It's poo poo.

Just as I thought