Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I remember Revelations showing me how to make and use bombs but I don't remember ever actually using it out of my own free will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Lambeth posted:

I remember Revelations showing me how to make and use bombs but I don't remember ever actually using it out of my own free will.

The Datura Bombs are obscenely lethal, especially with the wide-area smoke. You can wipe out entire squads with impunity.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Or I could stab them in the face with impunity. also daggers.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked chucking the blood bomb at random people and then running away cackling like a madman.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if this counts, since it's more like a Favorite Little Thing In Game Development:

A guy whose words I respect talked a bit about how survival games tend to get hunger/thirst wrong. You can read the full article, but it boils down to "Stop making eating/drinking take away from the other things the game has to offer".

One of the survival games I'm most interested in, Subnautica, has a online public board that the devs use. Someone linked to it, and they said "Yeah, that article makes a lot of sense. Let's tweak our hunger system so that people explore our game more.".

It's goddamned awesome.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
D4 is an adventure game about using the ability to travel through time and space to solve mysteries, but the story is mostly linear and uses it for magical-realism rather than complicated time-travel logic puzzles aside from a few subquests. One of these involves an avant-garde fashion designer you meet who criticizes your fashion sense when you first meet him. However, by doing some side-quests for him he rewards you with an outfit that he designed. If you replay the chapter wearing the costume he gave you (your unlockables carry over between play-throughs) then when you meet him he praises your fashion sense and give you another article of clothing, and this loop can continue until you've unlocked his full outfit.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Arkham Knight:
Batman does not kill people, it's his ethos or creed or whatever. That being said, if you check out the mangled and severely pummeled bodies of the guys on the ground after a fight, you can see that they are breathing very shallowly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm replaying Parasite Eve 2 and a nice touch with the game is that the characterization is told largely through exploration. Aya comments on objects in the environment and you get her thoughts on the subject by what she says about them rather than over-lengthy cutscenes.

Also it is one of the only games I can think of where someone knocks on doors before they open them just in case someone is home.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ImpAtom posted:

I'm replaying Parasite Eve 2 and a nice touch with the game is that the characterization is told largely through exploration. Aya comments on objects in the environment and you get her thoughts on the subject by what she says about them rather than over-lengthy cutscenes.

Also it is one of the only games I can think of where someone knocks on doors before they open them just in case someone is home.

I like the atmospheric / organic storytelling like that. Dark Souls did it in a similar way, but even though it was executed well I couldn't bring myself to care about the lore at all.

On the opposite end, I was playing The Evil Within recently and it kind of drives me crazy when the player character / protagonist doesn't say what is going on to the player, but you find pages of the protagonist's own diary to fill in the player and the protagonist comments on pages of his own diary about plot points he already knew before the player read them. 5 hours into the game, the protagonist picks up a copy of his own diary and comments out loud to nobody, "Yeah, my wife died in an accident. That's why I've been mopey for the last year." It just feels pained when the character goes out of his way to avoid plot details about his own life, but then just has a monologue to themselves after they find their own journal. Nobody ever wonders how their journal ended up in an alley in the middle of town either.

Several other games do it as well, but The Evil Within was just on the top of my head.

Leon Trotsky 2012 has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Aug 18, 2015

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

PE2 was also great for ingame narrative consistency too. All her abilities give a description that comes out with the science behind what she's doing (as crazy as it is) and enemy types die in different ways: machines explode, mutations dissolve, and the super soldiers just collapse with their body remaining on the ground.

Also had a fantastic system for the NG+ that led to me replaying a ridiculous number of times. Namely that there are S rank (better than A) through to L rank and each one adds three items to the shops ingame.
No matter how well you do, if there are still ranks to unlock you will get items until you have everything. So basically even if you're nowhere near good enough to get the S rank items, through sheer perseverance you can eventually snag them.
Also one of those items happens to be an insanely powerful gunblade.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Sad lions posted:

PE2 was also great for ingame narrative consistency too. All her abilities give a description that comes out with the science behind what she's doing (as crazy as it is) and enemy types die in different ways: machines explode, mutations dissolve, and the super soldiers just collapse with their body remaining on the ground.

Also had a fantastic system for the NG+ that led to me replaying a ridiculous number of times. Namely that there are S rank (better than A) through to L rank and each one adds three items to the shops ingame.
No matter how well you do, if there are still ranks to unlock you will get items until you have everything. So basically even if you're nowhere near good enough to get the S rank items, through sheer perseverance you can eventually snag them.

The Gunblade is fun enough, but the 'man-portable' railgun that holds 100 shots, takes 3 seconds to charge, and is longer than Aya is tall is both hilarious and amazingly absurd for all the right reasons. The fact that it one-shots everything but bosses is simply a bonus.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beastie posted:

Arkham Knight:
Batman does not kill people, it's his ethos or creed or whatever. That being said, if you check out the mangled and severely pummeled bodies of the guys on the ground after a fight, you can see that they are breathing very shallowly.

One time I called the batmobile and it landed on top of someone.

But yea bats does not kill. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

One time I called the batmobile and it landed on top of someone.

But yea bats does not kill. :v:

Once you knock thugs out, they're invincible, after all.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
http://youtu.be/1byycwl8qgc

They're all... tuckered out.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Just found this tucked away in the Sims 4 tutorial menu.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A great little thing in PE 2 is the cinematic near the end of the game, in which human soldiers obliterate a squadron of Pawn Golems through use of superior tactics and equipment - the beginning of the scene has all of the markings of a Resident Evil scene, with close quarters enemies against gun using soldiers, and then surprise. I love this scene.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

A great little thing in PE 2 is the cinematic near the end of the game, in which human soldiers obliterate a squadron of Pawn Golems through use of superior tactics and equipment - the beginning of the scene has all of the markings of a Resident Evil scene, with close quarters enemies against gun using soldiers, and then surprise. I love this scene.

Its one of the rare times people other then the protagonist does something competent in games. Otherwise those soldiers would just die and its up to you, the badass protagonist, to save the day..

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've recently been playing Way of the Samurai 4 off of steam, and the writing in this game is fantastic. It's funny, it's witty, and it's incredibly juvenile.

There's also a poo poo ton to do in the game, so I can see it taking up a lot of my time in the future.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
my favorite thing about Way of the Samurai 4 is some of the side quest dialogs.

One of the sidequests involves a character dying from a poison riceball and you needing to tell another that they died. One of the dialog choices in that conversation is "TELL ME HOW TO STOP THESE TEARS"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
After seeing praise for that series here, I think I'm intrigued enough to pick it up next time I see it on sale. Is 4 an acceptable jumping-on point?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Leal posted:

Its one of the rare times people other then the protagonist does something competent in games. Otherwise those soldiers would just die and its up to you, the badass protagonist, to save the day..

Kind of similar is the military takeover of the mall near the end of the first Dead Rising.

It's a great inversion of the whole military is useless against the zombies idea, although ends up being bad since they're uh, trying to kill/vanish the survivors anyway.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Kind of similar is the military takeover of the mall near the end of the first Dead Rising.

It's a great inversion of the whole military is useless against the zombies idea, although ends up being bad since they're uh, trying to kill/vanish the survivors anyway.
And then the military gently caress it all up in 2 :eng99:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

graybook posted:

After seeing praise for that series here, I think I'm intrigued enough to pick it up next time I see it on sale. Is 4 an acceptable jumping-on point?

Each game gets more elaborate and brings more incremental improvements, so I'd say WotS 4 would be the best jumping-on point. It's also the most perverted, though, but generally you can skip this content.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Croccers posted:

And then the military gently caress it all up in 2 :eng99:

To be fair, they had a handle on it until that corporation made the super-zombies.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Miltaries can handle zombies, but not twists.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In Far Cry: Blood Dragon, the menu has a user manual for gameplay tips. Here's the story page:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Big Grunty Secret posted:

In Far Cry: Blood Dragon, the menu has a user manual for gameplay tips. Here's the story page:

You might want to edit out your product key lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

carry on then posted:

Why, it's already been used

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

carry on then posted:

Don't worry, I stole the picture from a game review page.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Beastie posted:

Arkham Knight:

I especially like it when the physics bug out and they get smashed through things and get stuck. I've got a screenshot somewhere with a guy and he's stuck in a van door, with his neck horrifically stretched out. Don't worry, he's just unconscious.

Actually, that's another little thing I like, being able to do screenshots and videos on the PS4. I think the PS3 could do it too, but the developers had to enable it and they didn't very often.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sad lions posted:

My favorite part of this is the best armor in the game is gotten from Rank L. So to get it, you either had to do really well twice, or do what amounts to a low-level run.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Xbox one has a screen shot feature. Arkhangelsk Knight has a full on Photo Mode which lets you remove the HUD and manipulate the camera. Can't get rid of the god drat Arkham Logo. In case you forgot it was a video game

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Beastie posted:

Arkhangelsk Knight

I've uh... never played that one.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

I've uh... never played that one.

It's a perfectly cromulent game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Phone posting, that's what I get.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Beastie posted:

Xbox one has a screen shot feature. Arkhangelsk Knight has a full on Photo Mode which lets you remove the HUD and manipulate the camera. Can't get rid of the god drat Arkham Logo. In case you forgot it was a video game
Shadow of Morder also has a photo mode but you can easily go without a logo.

it is a good game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ground Zeroes has a collectible I really like; the identifying patches of XOF, the black ops unit that threw them off their chopper when they left the military base Ground Zeroes is set in to go gently caress up Mother Base. The patches are a little hard to see, but you can get the locations of eight of them by interrogating guards, so it's not too bad. The last one, though...

It landed on Snake's back. You see it in the opening cutscene, and if you look, it's always there on his pouch. All you have to do is roll around a bunch to get it off your back.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cleretic posted:

Ground Zeroes has a collectible I really like; the identifying patches of XOF, the black ops unit that threw them off their chopper when they left the military base Ground Zeroes is set in to go gently caress up Mother Base. The patches are a little hard to see, but you can get the locations of eight of them by interrogating guards, so it's not too bad. The last one, though...

It landed on Snake's back. You see it in the opening cutscene, and if you look, it's always there on his pouch. All you have to do is roll around a bunch to get it off your back.

The best part is that it's preceded by a really melodramatic cutscene of Snake rolling intercut with flashbacks of the patch lazily floating down and landing on Snake's back.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Beastie posted:

Dunno about Xbox, but you can take the logo off on PS4. Just go left from the default logo position.

Relevant to that, and the topic at hand, here's a screen shot I took of Batman tearing the driver out of a car and throwing him into an oncoming car. Technically, it was the other car that killed him, not Batman!

EDIT - Also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love the little dioramas for 3DS titles. Ace Combat's is literally just a model of an F-22 in packaging, for example.

And they spin real fast if you blow hard on the mic.