Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

hubris.height posted:

If you didn't like Lunar and Lunar 2, then you can just see yourself out the door, bitch.

I just want to know how the guy that made that image reacts to me enjoying American pop culture references in Lunar or Vay. Would making goofy 90s jokes be considered HORRIBLE CENSORSHIP now by the people who freak out about slight clothing changes from Bravery Default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fungah! posted:

shut the gently caress up idiot

stop cyberbullying me

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I don't know what any of you guys are talking about but I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time ever and I'm liking it a lot. :cheers:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kaubocks posted:

I don't know what any of you guys are talking about but I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time ever and I'm liking it a lot. :cheers:

That's because it's a really good and fun game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Crabtree posted:

I just want to know how the guy that made that image reacts to me enjoying American pop culture references in Lunar or Vay. Would making goofy 90s jokes be considered HORRIBLE CENSORSHIP now by the people who freak out about slight clothing changes from Bravery Default?

Odds are that they are just people predisposed to outrage. It takes all types.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really like the game but I agree with pretty much everything ImpAtom said a few pages back, the MMO sidequesting really aggressively drags the game down. I do think the plot's pretty cool though, it's pretty much all JRPG and shounen cliches but it's done with a tremendous amount of style and intelligence; if you were ever going to play one game about a hot blooded young man killing God, I'd make it Xenoblade

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the reason the story works as well as it does is because all of the characters are really good and none of them feel like they're just filler minus Riki. They all have a roll in the story outside of just agreeing with whatever Shulk says and they even frequently break away from him to have moments by themselves. Not a lot of games I've played do that- either you get a party member and they have a couple lines and then shut up forever or the only thing they care about is the MC for whatever reason (see Persona 4's blank slates)

To me, while it felt like Shulk's story I could easily say it's Reyn's as well or Sharla's.

Xenoblade is really good

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've pretty much stopped doing sidequests. Granted, I've already done quite a bit of them but also there's still way more left for me to do. I'll do quests that are like "kill X dudes" while walking through this area because they're on the way but anything beyond that has to be really interesting or have a nice reward.

I seriously cut back because I'm trying to beat this game before Phantom Pain comes out. I've pretty much flipped the bird at Juju because at this point I'm not helping rebuild the place. Too much item hunting. I started about a week and a half ago. Just made it to Agniratha. I had to look up the name of that place because that name is so forgettable.

Game's extremely cool. I dig the setting a lot. Entire world is based on top of two supertitan robots? Hell yeah. Story started off extremely strong. Tiny dip around Alcamoth with all the High Entia Politics but went back up from Prison Island onwards. It's taking a turn into being a bit generic once you hit Fallen Arm, I feel, but I'm still invested enough to want to see it through.

It's a very good game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think the reason the story works as well as it does is because all of the characters are really good and none of them feel like they're just filler minus Riki. They all have a roll in the story outside of just agreeing with whatever Shulk says and they even frequently break away from him to have moments by themselves. Not a lot of games I've played do that- either you get a party member and they have a couple lines and then shut up forever or the only thing they care about is the MC for whatever reason (see Persona 4's blank slates)

To me, while it felt like Shulk's story I could easily say it's Reyn's as well or Sharla's.

Xenoblade is really good

You've described most JRPGs released in the last decade.

Kaubocks posted:

I seriously cut back because I'm trying to beat this game before Phantom Pain comes out. I've pretty much flipped the bird at Juju because at this point I'm not helping rebuild the place. Too much item hunting. I started about a week and a half ago. Just made it to Agniratha. I had to look up the name of that place because that name is so forgettable.

Honestly, no reason not to flip Juju the bird once you hit colony level 1 and get the compact reactor. His requests are ridiculous.

I would recommend you do the quests for the town after you recruit the seventh party member though. The affinity goes up high and you get the fourth skill tree for her from there which massively increases her combat ability.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 19, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

You've described most JRPGs released in the last decade.

All of the ones I've played haven't been like that v:shobon:v

Like Bravely Default felt like none of the characters were really characters- just kinda paper dolls to me with expressions drawn on them as a example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like Bravely Default felt like none of the characters were really characters- just kinda paper dolls to me with expressions drawn on them as a example.

Bravely Default specifically has scenes where characters go off by themselves and have their own plots though. Like every single thing you praised Xenoblade for BD does. Arguably moreso as every character except Tiz is actually more important to the plot than Tiz is and spend more time driving the plot and having their own storyline than he does. As a game to choose as an example of "everyone just sits around and agrees with the main character" that's an odd one because Agnes, Edea and Ringabel (like or dislike the characters) all have their own plots and motivations that got nothin' at all to do with Tiz.

Edit: I mean that doesn't mean Xenoblade is bad or poorly done and I certainly would take Xenoblade's plot over BD's, but it isn't really executing things very different.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 19, 2015

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
BD loving sucks and the characters are annoying pre-teen losers and the blonde chick has an amazingly stupid catch-phrase that nerds love for whatever made up reason. Also the combat can be broken about 13 different ways and defeats the whole purpose of playing the game, which you technically play through twice anyway because why not.

There now let this stupid derail continue!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Louisgod posted:

BD loving sucks and the characters are annoying pre-teen losers and the blonde chick has an amazingly stupid catch-phrase that nerds love for whatever made up reason. Also the combat can be broken about 13 different ways and defeats the whole purpose of playing the game, which you technically play through twice anyway because why not.

lmao

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That tharr be enough JRPG talk in this here thread there boyo! Now let's sit in silence because talking about Xenoblade Chronicles X would also be talking about JRPGs and we don't want any of that to happen!!

Kaubocks posted:

I've pretty much stopped doing sidequests. Granted, I've already done quite a bit of them but also there's still way more left for me to do. I'll do quests that are like "kill X dudes" while walking through this area because they're on the way but anything beyond that has to be really interesting or have a nice reward.

Game's extremely cool. I dig the setting a lot. Entire world is based on top of two supertitan robots? Hell yeah. Story started off extremely strong. Tiny dip around Alcamoth with all the High Entia Politics but went back up from Prison Island onwards. It's taking a turn into being a bit generic once you hit Fallen Arm, I feel, but I'm still invested enough to want to see it through.

It's a very good game.

It would've been great if they'd figured out a better ratio between 'collect stuff for me' quests and I dunno, something more involved that gets you lots of relationship points or whatever they're called. So that instead of having eighty sidequests in an area you could have like, twenty-five interesting ones that just give you more of a reward.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

It would've been great if they'd figured out a better ratio between 'collect stuff for me' quests and I dunno, something more involved that gets you lots of relationship points or whatever they're called. So that instead of having eighty sidequests in an area you could have like, twenty-five interesting ones that just give you more of a reward.

I honestly also wish Heart to Heart wasn't locked by relationship points. I'd like to see characters interact without having to grind for hours to see a five minute scene, plus it is sort of weirdly backwards that you do them to get more relationship points.

I mean I don't want to go "I wish Xenoblade had Social Links" but it already kind of does, they're just a lot more annoying to trigger.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

Bravely Default specifically has scenes where characters go off by themselves and have their own plots though. Like every single thing you praised Xenoblade for BD does. Arguably moreso as every character except Tiz is actually more important to the plot than Tiz is and spend more time driving the plot and having their own storyline than he does. As a game to choose as an example of "everyone just sits around and agrees with the main character" that's an odd one because Agnes, Edea and Ringabel (like or dislike the characters) all have their own plots and motivations that got nothin' at all to do with Tiz.

Edit: I mean that doesn't mean Xenoblade is bad or poorly done and I certainly would take Xenoblade's plot over BD's, but it isn't really executing things very different.

I think the overall story is weaker though, guess it's hard to explain but BD just didn't stick with me in the slightest. It felt a lot more generic to me (say what you want about XB) and the characters didn't really feel nearly as fleshed out as any of the seven from XB. Only memorable part of BD plot wise would be the ending for obvious reasons.

Like Sharla for example has a plot thread that stretches through the entire game connected to Reyn and Jade Face that felt satisfying to watch unfold. I never really got anything similar from recent games.

This is also why I'm not expecting much from Xenoblade X :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly also wish Heart to Heart wasn't locked by relationship points. I'd like to see characters interact without having to grind for hours to see a five minute scene, plus it is sort of weirdly backwards that you do them to get more relationship points.

I mean I don't want to go "I wish Xenoblade had Social Links" but it already kind of does, they're just a lot more annoying to trigger.

I didn't really mean the Heart to Heart stuff, I was talking about Colony levels and relationship points or whatever. I could've sworn there was a term to it but I can't really remember it.

I unironically would've loved if Xenoblade Chronicles had skits and fighting in battles with people leveled up the relationships faster the more they fought in the same party.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Louisgod posted:

The later bosses pretty much assume that the player has broken the combat system in at least some way.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 19, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't really mean the Heart to Heart stuff, I was talking about Colony levels and relationship points or whatever. I could've sworn there was a term to it but I can't really remember it.

I unironically would've loved if Xenoblade Chronicles had skits and fighting in battles with people leveled up the relationships faster the more they fought in the same party.

They do that! It's not super fast but it's how I got relationships up as I didn't notice the gift option :suicide:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They do that! It's not super fast but it's how I got relationships up as I didn't notice the gift option :suicide:

Yeahhhhh, but I wish it functioned more on like a slow boil so that by like eight consistent battles or something you're getting like fifty points a fight with those people and if you keep encouraging or picking people up it only levels up even faster.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Louisgod posted:

Also the combat can be broken about 13 different ways and defeats the whole purpose of playing the game

This statement makes no sense, because figuring out 13 different ways to break the game is exactly what's fun about the job system in every game that uses it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think the overall story is weaker though, guess it's hard to explain but BD just didn't stick with me in the slightest. It felt a lot more generic to me (say what you want about XB) and the characters didn't really feel nearly as fleshed out as any of the seven from XB. Only memorable part of BD plot wise would be the ending for obvious reasons.

Well, what you're saying is just "I didn't like BD's plot as much," which is perfectly fine, but it doesn't mean BD didn't do the same things. It just did them in a way that mesh less with you. Xenoblade in particular didn't stand out to me as much because it was reusing plot points and characterization that I'd seen a lot already because I'm a big fan of mecha shows and Xenoblade Chronicles is basically just a mecha show where the protagonist gets a laser sword instead of his own giant robot.(As were Xenogears and Xenosaga. The entire Xenofranchise is basically "we really want to make mecha JRPGs.")

And I still like Xenoblade and think it is fun enough that I bought and played through the game on multiple systems! I just think that, at best, it's a well-executed JRPG but not an exceptional one for the genre. I am looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles X but that is because it is Xenoblade with More Giant Robots and More Giant Robots is what I wanted out of Xenoblade classic!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

To be honest even the gift option is super-slow. The amount you get for most gifts is like... 10 points and you need several thousand per relationship level.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I really liked how affinity built up between all party members, as opposed to just showing how they related to shulk. Like if P4G could do a social link between Chie and Yukiko. Do any other games have party-wide relationship building?

More importantly, is that kind of affinity system in X? I haven't heard much about whether the companions have a lot of content like in Xenoblade.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Normalfag and proud
Ha ha, big mistake kisama

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Louisgod posted:

Mrrrglgrrrrglgrrgllll!

Xenoblade Chronicles is fantastic. Xenoblade X sucks a bag of dicks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

Mrrrglgrrrrglgrrgllll!

Xenoblade Chronicles is fantastic. Xenoblade X sucks a bag of dicks.

:laffo:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest even the gift option is super-slow. The amount you get for most gifts is like... 10 points and you need several thousand per relationship level.

Yeah, at one point I tried to grind out that Paola/Narine quest where you needed max affinity between two female party members by running around picking up Dobercorgies in Colony 6 for Sharla to give to Melia. It quickly became apparent this was not the way to go.

(I'm playing on Dolphin so once I'm done with all these drat sidequests I'm probably just going to enable some affinity multiplying Gecko code so I don't have to grind to see the Heart to Hearts).

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
My favorite part of Xenoblade was exploring the really pretty environments. It looks like X still has that so even if the rest of the game isn't as good as the first Xenoblade, I will still probably enjoy it!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I remember the whole game (XC) fell into place for me when I was exploring the Ice Mountain zone at night. The mix of music and scenery was something I hadn't experienced in a long time.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Valak Mountain was ruined for me by ice cabbages.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fungah! posted:

all six etrian odysseys are good and tales of vesperia owns. haven't played ni no kuni

Older EO games can be a bit of a chore to play but Vesperia's awesome (Abyss was better) and I've heard good things about Graces and Zestria.

Wizardry: Labyrith of Lost Souls is also good if you want to ruin any good memories you had about the Wizardry series.

RareAcumen posted:

Finally, the thread is negative enough to post this and get away with it.

Master of Magic came out in 1994 so that timeframe is definitely wrong and you're still a terrible poster. Plus if anyone badmouths Master of Magic I will cut you. :ese:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Evil Fluffy posted:

Older EO games can be a bit of a chore to play but Vesperia's awesome (Abyss was better) and I've heard good things about Graces and Zestria.

Graces had a pretty good combat system, and a story that was... well, okay, it wasn't very good or complex, but it was silly as hell and kind of charming because of it. It is ~the power of friendship~ taken to its extreme. I've heard Zestria was a trainwreck, though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jsor posted:

Graces had a pretty good combat system, and a story that was... well, okay, it wasn't very good or complex, but it was silly as hell and kind of charming because of it. It is ~the power of friendship~ taken to its extreme. I've heard Zestria was a trainwreck, though.

Wait Zestria is bad? I haven't played a tales game in a rather long time and thought I might pick it up just to see what's going on with those games

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
All I know is that some of the people in the Tales thread who played the Japanese version said the plot really, really didn't work and was maybe kind of offensive? I don't really know the details.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait Zestria is bad? I haven't played a tales game in a rather long time and thought I might pick it up just to see what's going on with those games

The changes to the battle system are hindered by a bad camera and there's some weirdness with the plot and its themes, but most of the proclamations that it's a trainwreck are exaggerations based on hearsay (see: Excels' posts in the Tales thread). A better source of impressions on the game would be Caphi's posts in the same thread, since he's actually played the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wizardry: Labyrith of Lost Souls is also good if you want to ruin any good memories you had about the Wizardry series.

Master of Magic came out in 1994 so that timeframe is definitely wrong and you're still a terrible poster. Plus if anyone badmouths Master of Magic I will cut you. :ese:

I didn't make the picture, I stole it off of tumblr. :colbert: Also shut up. e:changed my mind, gonna seriouspost.

So, Vesperia has this thing where it has a decent two-thirds of a story and then it all just falls apart at the end like cornbread. The characters- in your party- are all pretty cool and interact and junk and it's all fun. Graces is kinda off-putting because the protagonist is a special brand of Lan Hikari cross Jungo Torii dim concerning his friend having a crush on him, and his other friend having gone totally evil. But that said the combat in that game is phenomenally fun and worth it if you can suffer the dumb anime lead. Zestria is doing weird stuff that you'd be best asking the Tales of thread about to elaborate since I haven't played the game and probably won't be able to.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 19, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'The boys in the Xenoblade thread are totally going to love this 4chan gamergate rant I found on tumblr, better post it now when it has absolutely no bearing on the conversation'

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Somewhere a valve was turned, and the sewage pipe over the Xenoblade thread started to open up.

No matter what, Xenoblade X cannot disappoint nearly as much as Xenosaga did.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

'The boys in the Xenoblade thread are totally going to love this 4chan gamergate rant I found on tumblr, better post it now when it has absolutely no bearing on the conversation'

Shitposts have to be related to the topic at hand? I thought that that was the point of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Xenoblade is really good

This is literally every JRPG

and this is from someone who owns literally every JRPG.

• Locked thread