Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Otisburg posted:

E: Huh, it's actually cheaper to order a box of soldiers from you to go with the ladyheads and have it shipped here to the Colonies than to order from the lone US retailer.

Yeah, unless I'm mistaken it works out to something like $45 USD shipped for the FG Soldiers box and 10 of the female heroic scale heads. Debating on whether to go with my original idea of getting some Gripping Beast Vikings, or this instead, when I get my next check...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im making a Chronomancer Goblin Wizzard

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what gear can a starting wizard take?

I dont have my book yet

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that Mantic are selling some single sprues online. Looks like a pretty cheap way to fill up on orcs, dwarves, elves and undead.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Moola posted:

what gear can a starting wizard take?

I dont have my book yet

You start with a staff or hand weapon. Staff means you do -1 damage in melee, but also receive -1 damage in melee. Option gear is a dagger, bow, crossbow or great weapon for 5 gc each.

The reason to take the dagger (does the same as hand weapon, but -1 damage, so a staff without the defensive bonus), is that if you combine it with a regular hand weapon you get +1 Fight and ignore the -1 damage penalty.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is a staff a hand weapon?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Moola posted:

is a staff a hand weapon?

That all depends bb

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what if my staff requires two hands ???

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Moola posted:

what if my staff requires two hands ???

It doesn't. Unless you want to call it a two handed weapon and pay an extra 5 bucks for it. Then it does. And you'll get that sweet +2 damage bonus.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Moola posted:

im making a Chronomancer Goblin Wizzard

Ha, love his little cap. Where's those dang snow bases you were working on?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

jodai posted:

Ha, love his little cap. Where's those dang snow bases you were working on?

heres some quick and dirty phone pics!

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Moola posted:

how

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i'll post the process in the miniatures thread

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Moola no, you are supposed to use all the cocaine to make AOS tolerable!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Frostgrave Battlescribe Repository update 2 rolled out. Contains: every single spell in the game and ability to select them for scrolls, grimoires and your spells known for your wizard. Does not contain: magic items, magic weapons or armor (because they're a pain to do right now since every single soldier has their own selection loadout to an extent) and also because I'm back to warhammer repositories. Enjoy until I get around to finishing it!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23274182/Frostgrave/index.bsi

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Moola no, you are supposed to use all the cocaine to make AOS tolerable!

I dont think theres a big enough stock in the world for this to work

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Moola posted:

Why do your bases always look so delicious

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Monopthalmus posted:

It's not listed in the OP (maybe I missed it later in the thread), but I just discovered these nice and cheap PDFs for winter ruins terrain.

It is now!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Frostgrave Battlescribe Repository update 2 rolled out.

And so is this!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Dirt Worshipper posted:

well I do put edible ingredients in a lot of them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

First it's fudge slices, now it's iced cookies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ordered a 5-Pack of Warlord Games Hail Ceasar Celtic War Dogs for this. Price was rock bottom and it should be all the war dogs I'll ever need. I'll let you dudes know how they turn out.

Also got another thing of Amera ruined building stuff to fill out the table: "demolished buildings" a 4-pack on one sheet with 2 good size corners with elevated positions to have a marksman or whatever climb to and 2 straight walls. Still think Amera's the best option in that price range, though it's weird that they way they're molded the details are actually sharper on the hollow side.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
That's why I always assumed they were for making molds. I saw one a long time ago in a store and thought it was a lot more complicated than "just paint it".

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
are you allowed to spend any of your starting gold on items, before your first encounter?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

bencreateddisco posted:

are you allowed to spend any of your starting gold on items, before your first encounter?

Evidence for:
No rule against it I can think of.
Evidence against:
All the magic poo poo is in the "campaign" chapter, well after the "building your warband" section.

Personally I'm on the fence. It seems a little beardy, but on the other hand that poo poo is so hysterically expensive compared to your starting budget you're putting yourself in the position of having a wizard with a magic staff, an apprentice, and a half-dozen dogs as his warband or whatever.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'd probably say no. You don't set up a base until after your first game with a warband, so I'd imagine you aren't meant to have access to the 'shop' yet.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Dirt Worshipper posted:

moola irl:

We kid because we love. And we want to see a cake-castle.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Please do not doxx pictures of me

Awwww man

Why did you have to give me the idea to make a Christmas cake frostgrave board

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
A giant abandoned gingerbread city

And your war bands are raiding it for delicious treats

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get started on the scenery.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wonder if clay would look similar to gingerbread with the right mix of stuffs???

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Moola posted:

I wonder if clay would look similar to gingerbread with the right mix of stuffs???

Yes.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Has anyone made some sort of graphic showing how all the different schools relate to each other? I've tried to figure it out, but I'm apparently not clever enough to make the connections. :/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pretty much settled on using the soldier box guys and bones speed painted with the dip for getting started and having tons of "loaner stuff."

...but if this takes off locally I'm thinking I'll get a nice boutique warband to show off from Red Box Minis. I simply adore those sculpts, sooo much character. What's a good option for scenic bases? The Secret Weapon cobblestones are a bit basic. I'm looking for something with a bit more character that will fit with the "frozen ancient ruin" theme.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Signal posted:

Has anyone made some sort of graphic showing how all the different schools relate to each other? I've tried to figure it out, but I'm apparently not clever enough to make the connections. :/

No Pun Intended posted:

:words:

I whipped up a quick table on the relationships between the 10 schools of magic. I hope you find it useful

This has a typo in the Elementalist column saying it's quad-aligned, but is otherwise pretty easy to read; the row is correct witchcraft go home you're drunk

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
One typo isn't bad :colbert:

I can fix it if people want.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think this game looks great fun. Only done one read through of the rulebook and it looks like my sort of thing.

A couple of things I'll be looking to house rule though if I manage to get my group to try this out:

- soldier experience. I know lots of people list that as a big gripe with Mordheim but stat increases are so marginal in this game that providing a modest progression for soldiers doesn't seem like it would be game breaking. I'm thinking that a soldier gains XP slowly and only has a few opportunities to level so will only ever end up with +4 or something total, and maybe no more than +2 in any one stat.

- create a name generator for the magic weapons. The loot table is just way too dull and flavourless!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think the "no soldier experience" helps reduce bookkeeping and bound things for campaign play so no one runs away TOO far. Just treat dismissing a thug to hire an infantryman and dismissing an infantryman to hire a templar as the costs for Edgar the Dull's training and new equipment or whatever.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 21, 2015

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

ineptmule posted:

- create a name generator for the magic weapons. The loot table is just way too dull and flavourless!

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=magicitem

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Otisburg posted:

I think the "no soldier experience" helps reduce bookkeeping and bound things for campaign play so no one runs away TOO far. Just treat dismissing a thug to hire an infantryman and dismissing an infantryman to hire a templar as the costs for Edgar the Dull's training and new equipment or whatever.

See, that may be the logical thing to do but only having one guy to get attached to just isn't going to cut it for me. I'll try a vanilla campaign first but will be unlikely to resist having mook experience for long.

I play Necromunda and Gorkamorka so bookkeeping is not exactly going to turn me off. The more bookkeeping the better, I say! I'm the guy who likes to find ways to deepen the post-battle sequence for Necro, so take from that what you will.

Also all my gaming mates are Necro fanatics so will be unlikely to get into a game where you average dudes don't level up.

Nice one, thanks very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK, I've had a bit of a flick through the rules, and as there's been some local interest from the gaming club it's time to start putting together a warband.

For my first warband I'll be using some Oathsworn Dwarfs, here's what I'm thinking so far (disclaimer: I have no idea how efficient this lot is as I'm just going for what looks cool):

This guy will be my Wizard. As a Runesmith his main spellcasting is the forging of runes of power onto items, so he'll be an Enchanter (also has the possibility of building some rune-golems later).

Spells List
Enchanter: Enchant Weapon, Enchant Armour, Embed Enchantment (to end up with more magic items than anyone else!)
Witch (aligned): Brew Potion (because Dwarfs are master brewers and love their booze)
Elementalist (aligned): Elemental Bolt (gotta make use of that rune of lighting he's holding)
Sigilist (aligned): Absorb Knowledge (because free XP)
Thaumaturge (neutral): Dispel (Runes of Spellbreaking, not too likely to matter but could be useful)
Soothsayer (neutral): Reveal Treasure (Dwarfs have a nose for gold!)

There may be some adjustments needed, I realise this is a lot of out of game spells (and I don't think you get XP for casting those as the rules are +10 XP for each spell cast during the game).

He also wields a staff. When I have the spare 5gp later he'll upgrade to a Great Weapon (not sure how this works rules wise, I guess during his activation I'd state if he's being defensive (staff) or offensive (great weapon) and it'd last til his next activation? - also I've just noticed there are technically no rules for changing your wizard's equipment between games other than magic items so I'd need to discuss this with the group)

My apprentice, just has a staff.

A thief, her main role will be stealing treasure and running away with it.

A crossbowman, he's a bit heavily armoured but not sure if I can spare the 50g to upgrade to a Marksman. Maybe I'll swap him out later or something.

A tracker, with the short lines of sight I figure I can get away with throwing axes counting as a 'bow'.

An infantryman. That axe looks just about big enough for a 2-handed grip.

A man-at-arms, will act as a bodyguard for the wizard.

A thug. Well, a disgruntled blacksmith but the thug stats will have to suffice.

That lot covers the basic warband but there are bunch more ace figures in the set, which could be used as later recruits. Any thoughts? Is there something critical I've overlooked which will doom me to a lifetime of losses, or should they be a decent enough crew?

When establishing a base I'm torn between the Treasury, Brewery, Library and Laboratory. All of them seem fairly thematic for the group, though I'm leaning towards the Treasury representing them crafting and selling gear to other adventurers.

---

Also I've been considering picking up some Deep Cut mats for a while, http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-4-x4-winter-theme seems ideal for Frostgrave. They have a 3x3 version too but I figure you may as well have the larger one in case you want a big game, and just treat the sides as 6" into the mat for smaller games.