Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FunOne posted:

Group MMS for Google Voice is part of the new Hangouts update but requires a server side switch. Which was switched today.

Group MMS from your carrier number using Hangouts as your SMS client just plains sucks and hasn't be acknowledged by Google at all as far as I know. Also, long threads just bog down the new Hangouts.

I just installed Messenger and only use Hangouts for, well, actual Hangouts and my google voice number, which I use for work.
Group Google voice mms in hangouts? Finally?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If anyone else is waiting for their 2015 Moto G 2GB to ship, I got the notice mine shipped on 8/16. I ordered it on 8/5, when the phone itself said "delayed" and so did the back cover I picked (navy).

Fedex says it'll be here Wednesday, Motorola says Friday. Looks like it made its way to Tennessee from China in the last half hour, so we'll see who's correct.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

boxen posted:

If anyone else is waiting for their 2015 Moto G 2GB to ship, I got the notice mine shipped on 8/16. I ordered it on 8/5, when the phone itself said "delayed" and so did the back cover I picked (navy).

Fedex says it'll be here Wednesday, Motorola says Friday. Looks like it made its way to Tennessee from China in the last half hour, so we'll see who's correct.

Same story for me. My phone just left Tennessee a few hours ago.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Tritto here

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

boxen posted:

Mine arrived two days before the estimated Moto arrival date, listen to Fedex since they are the folks with the package. :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Scratch that, mine just arrived a day early according to my wife.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
does anyone know what a screen replacement costs in the US for the xperia phones? i have a z2 that has a functioning but pretty poo poo screen on it. replacements are nearly $300 here and i'm going over to the states in two days

edit: im staying in the bay area

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 18, 2015

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Before I ordered my Nexus 6, I ordered a Moto X 2014. The shipping was all over the board, and arrived before FedEx estimated.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
My Moto G left Shenzhen, China at 9:30am EST yesterday and was just delivered to my house in Cleveland, Ohio. 23 hours later.

:drat:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All of these Moto Gs must have been housed in that Chinese warehouse, they are being delivered in a ballistic fashion.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

boxen posted:

....and they attempted delivery this morning, ten minutes after I left for work. drat, Fedex, you fast.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You can now configure your Moto X Play on the european Moto Maker. Shipping seems to happen at the end of August.

Sorry US residents, guess you cant have cool phones :smug:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Shai-Hulud posted:

You can now configure your Moto X Play on the european Moto Maker. Shipping seems to happen at the end of August.

Sorry US residents, guess you cant have cool phones :smug:

Moto X Play is that middle phone (with the larger battery than the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure but a different processor). We don't get the phone no matter what happens. Oh well.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Moto G Trip Report:

2 hours in and all of my apps work with no stuttering. The screen looks great and text is very crisp. Good white balance. Doesn't look worse than my Z3. Build quality is very good except for the buttons, which are acceptable but nothing special. They could be clickier. Camera is markedly better than last year's G - not amazing but very solid. The front camera was strangely impressive though. I noticed how good it was the instant I switched to it.

Overall it seems like a spectacular way to spend $200!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, it seems more and more certain that my 2014 Moto X doesn't like wifi very much. I was able to get a little more reliable of a connection at home by changing to the 5G router channel, but when I stopped by school, it didn't connect the whole time, and now I'm traveling and it doesn't want to connect to the hotel's wifi either. Is there anything I can try before I factory reset it?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hardware keyboard chat:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Venice because it's constantly sinking while you type on it?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I really thought that I was over hardware keyboards (last one was the HTC G1, so it's been a while) what with SwiftKey and all the others making it so easy to type up messages quick but seeing this triggers me hard. Blackberry keyboards are awesome and this might just work.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, BlackBerry is probably the best in the business about hardware keyboards (even if that is like being best in the business at asbestos products in 2015). So maybe theyll nail that?

But I can't help but think that by the time that phone is six months old, the mechanism will have worn out and the phone body will start sliding down to guillotine your thumbs as you try to type.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So it's a phone that has a similar function to what the Palm Pre did, runs Android and is made by Blackberry? What kind of futuristic science fiction year 3000 bullshit is this?!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lblitzer posted:

So it's a phone that has a similar function to what the Palm Pre did, runs Android and is made by Blackberry? What kind of futuristic science fiction year 3000 bullshit is this?!

Honestly, it looks pretty cool. It's what blackberry should have done 4 years ago tbh if they weren't so hung up on hanging all their poo poo on government contracts and BES.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Not gonna lie that's a cool way to add a keyboard. Not that I'd buy one but it probably will sell better than that loving square phone they made.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Not gonna lie that's a cool way to add a keyboard. Not that I'd buy one but it probably will sell better than that loving square phone they made.

shut up

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Why is that phone wearing a diaper?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Isn't it supposed to be running stock Android too?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Gotta admit, that new blackberry is a pretty sexy bit of kit.

Still wouldn't buy it for the same reason I wouldn't buy an HTC these days. Still not confident they'll be around in a year.

Also, the Passport is an ugly as gently caress abortion of a device.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Facebook Messenger just totally kills a phone or something? Now that I think of it, I started using FB Messenger about 2 months ago, and it coincides fairly well with how I feel it has been sluggish lately. :/
Devours RAM, wakelocks the phone, manifests as a physical entity and takes actual, literal bits out of your battery.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Could always just go last-gen and pick up a Nexus 6, Moto X 2014, or...well, just those two, really.

Or the Moto G 2015.

I loved the feel of the Galaxy S 6 and the Nexus S but goddamn the Nexus 6 just takes the whale-sized cake for feeling really nice in the hand. I think the iPhone 6+ and Nexus 6 feel the best in the hand for me.

Hopefully the Diztronic Ultra TPU won't change that. Anyone with that have any input on how it changes the feel? Is it heavier or thicker with those corners or just like a normal Diztronic but with bumps on the corners?
Feels great. Diztronic cases were out of stock when I got mine so I got a Supcase Beetle, but it has hard beveled edges that made it uncomfortable to hold one-handed with the bottom of the phone resting on my pinky. At first I thought it was the injection molding seams so I scraped them off, but I ended up giving up and just getting a Diztronic and it's much better.

boxen posted:

After you click the button to place the order, ignore anything Motorola's order status page says about your phone (if it shows anything, all 3 phones I've gotten from them arrived before it showed that they had shipped.)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'd wager it will be like the N6 with Verizon compatibility being the wildcard but there's nothing to go on at the moment. Given the chipset rumors say it's Qualcomm I'm sure it'll have the radio compatibility it needs.

As for the Nexus 6 2015 I think that's supposed to be on Huawei's SoC and I have no idea what their modem situation is like.

Late reply but if you check some of their late models, they pretty much support everything. Huawei also improved LTE speeds.

3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - UL00
HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 - L09

4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 7(2600), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) - UL00
LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 40(2300) - L09

Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps

That's from the Huawei P8 (gsmarena specs).

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GWBBQ posted:

After you click the button to place the order, ignore anything Motorola's order status page says about your phone (if it shows anything, all 3 phones I've gotten from them arrived before it showed that they had shipped.)

I still haven't gotten the "you got it" email from Motorola and I've had my Moto G for like three weeks now.

Is it weird that one of my favorite things about this phone is that it looks like an iPhone without being one

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Rastor posted:

Hardware keyboard chat:

Realtalk: if you're going to have a physical qwerty keyboard do not leave out the number row. Full 4 row keyboard or bust.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

minusX posted:

Realtalk: if you're going to have a physical qwerty keyboard do not leave out the number row. Full 4 row keyboard or bust.

Uh, have any Blackberry phones had a number row on the keyboard? Argue about the merits of a physical keyboard in 2015 all you want, but BB was definitely the master of them.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, have any Blackberry phones had a number row on the keyboard? Argue about the merits of a physical keyboard in 2015 all you want, but BB was definitely the master of them.
I guess so. The whole last wave of keyboard devices I used had them. Sidekicks, G1, etc. The number row is extremely useful. The other BBs have had a "num pad" for them. Basically being able to dial numbers normally matters still on a phone.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Rastor posted:

Hardware keyboard chat:

I'm in the market for a new phone and it's either going to be this or a new nexus. I was never even a big hardware keyboard guy, I think I only had an old nokia "smartphone" that had one and it was meh. But, after using on-screen keyboards since the OG iPhone, I still can't type on it for poo poo. I don't care if I use swype, swiftkey, google keyboard, thumbs, whatever - I just can't type properly on them. The only thing that saves me is auto-correct, and even then I have to LOOK at the keyboard when typing, and I STILL perpetually put a "b" instead of a space. It's like my brain can't parse where to place my thumb so I don't hit "b" when I want a space even after 8 years of using the loving things.

Most likely I'll be getting a new phone in a year or 2 anyway, so even if they go tits up next year I think I could deal with it.

The only thing that would make me think twice is if the camera sucks, but honestly my wife has a Q10 and apart from 4:3 aspect ratio, it actually takes very nice pictures. I've used the keyboard on it for all of 30 minutes and I can knock out a text or short email in less time than on my z2 using google keyboard without having a loving b instead of a space.

I must be mentally ill.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 19, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Hey dont leave out Samsung with their .... KEYBOARD CASE! Get it guys? It's a case .. plus a keyboard!

Guys?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

All of you thinking on buying a Blackberry don't worry, you're not alone on the weirdo smartphone world, the replacement for my sold Galaxy S4 is a Lumia 640 XL and I blame that my Lumia 925 was supposed to be the S4's backup, not otherwise. Oh god, I have a hugephone with Microsoft logo on it :shepspends:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hey dont leave out Samsung with their .... KEYBOARD CASE! Get it guys? It's a case .. plus a keyboard!

Guys?

Every single review of the Samsung snap-on keyboard has said that it has no click when you press the keys, and therefore it sucks.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

minusX posted:

Lol no. That's a terrible idea

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

vyst posted:

Lol no. That's a terrible idea

Odd, so are physical keyboards :captainpop:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

minusX posted:

I guess so. The whole last wave of keyboard devices I used had them. Sidekicks, G1, etc. The number row is extremely useful. The other BBs have had a "num pad" for them. Basically being able to dial numbers normally matters still on a phone.

Isn't there basically a numpad on that one? Hold sym (or is it alt? Not familiar with how BB does it) + one of the keys on the left side. Maybe it's problematic if you're trying to do it one-handed, but why are you using a physical phone keyboard one-handed? You probably still have the touchscreen dialer too for punching in phone numbers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Typing on my G2 was no where near as convenient or quick as I assumed it would be but then maybe that's because I never got used to thumb typing on my old dumb phones