Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They power up pretty instantly in the manga most of the time. It's typically an anime concession to make it last longer for drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

So when goku does that slow ka...me...haaa....meeee.....HAAAAA he's going faster than the speed of sound?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Amorphous Blob posted:

So when goku does that slow ka...me...haaa....meeee.....HAAAAA he's going faster than the speed of sound?

Imagine a grandma with a squeeky voice.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Amorphous Blob posted:

Goku was faster than the speed of sound back in the first Budokai (remember when Krillen fought Roshi, and the ridiculous stuff they did in that timespan - that's a bit faster than sound itself). By now, after all the "so fast the previous fastest person can't see him now that he has upgrades, he's somewhat past light.

Just go with it. Every comic with someone going fast forgets about them moving faster than their voice would travel. Superman has heard bullets being fired across the planet and zoomed over and stopped them before they hit people...even though the bullet would have long hit before the sound reached him. And that's just for starters.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'd love to see the famous "5 Minutes" on Namek sped up so that it's actually 5 minutes.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Hjalmar posted:

I'd love to see the famous "5 Minutes" on Namek sped up so that it's actually 5 minutes.

Preferably :twentyfour: style.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

New Leaf posted:

Thanks guys.

They sure seem long enough for Piccolo to grunt and say "His power is enormous" over and over.

Has anyone kept a counter of how many times Vegeta said "Super Saiyan" before anyone actually became a Super Saiyan?

About as many as Beerus has said "Super Saiyajin Godo" in Super.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
So in a post-F world, are we even clear on Goku being stronger than Vegeta? Have they ever been this on par while both are alive?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

zelah posted:

So in a post-F world, are we even clear on Goku being stronger than Vegeta? Have they ever been this on par while both are alive?

The android saga if goku wasn't dying from heart worms

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Goku ideally should be stronger than Vegeta, Vegeta just wants it too bad

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Vegeta being stronger than Goku is pretty much the wish of a great number of fans as well as the animation teams. It's the reason why they added filler in the Buu Saga where Vegeta gets to beat up Goku as well as Vegeta getting a super out-of-nowhere boost to surpass Goku in BoG.

It's appreciated fanservice but fanservice nonetheless. I don't like SS3 very much though (except in Fusion Reborn because it was a nice fight) so I like that Vegeta took regular Super Saiyan (I honestly feel SS2 is still a regular Super Saiyan compared to the freak transformation SS3 is) to a higher level, one-upping Goku using Goku's own method from the Cell Games.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
As of RoF they're pretty much considered equals, so there's that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vegeta being stronger than Goku in BoG was cool because he was fighting to protect someone he cared about rather than just 'Kakarot ... Prince of all Saiyans ... KAKAROT ... KAKARRRRROT!!!!'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't feel like Vegeta ever needs to be actually stronger than Goku or vice versa. I do know for a fact that the ending of RoF is some bullshit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hjalmar posted:

https://youtu.be/JBO4fuHY39k

Ask and you shall receive. Pity they didn't speed up the regular audio but it's still pretty funny.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Caros posted:

https://youtu.be/JBO4fuHY39k

Ask and you shall receive. Pity they didn't speed up the regular audio but it's still pretty funny.

I like how every couple seconds Namek goes from being a see of lava back to having regular water then back to lava and the sky keeps switching between red and green-yellow

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Vegeta being stronger than Goku in BoG was cool because he was fighting to protect someone he cared about rather than just 'Kakarot ... Prince of all Saiyans ... KAKAROT ... KAKARRRRROT!!!!'
Vegeta seems more capable of making specific moral choices such as "defending his wife" which, in a funny way, makes him more of a classical hero than Ol' Gokes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Nessus posted:

Vegeta seems more capable of making specific moral choices such as "defending his wife" which, in a funny way, makes him more of a classical hero than Ol' Gokes.

I'd like to think that goku would be similarity pissed off if a villain slapped Chi-Chi or something.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Monaghan posted:

I'd like to think that goku would be similarity pissed off if a villain slapped Chi-Chi or something.

lol that's just wishful thinking and you know it

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Monaghan posted:

"Oh well I GUESS I said I would marry you when I was a kid like 6 years ago when I did not have any idea what marriage was... So sure I guess we're getting married now?"

Yeah... pretty sure that guy might not have the "BITCH DID YOU JUST HIT MAH WOMAN! IMA gently caress YOU UP!" Reaction.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Goku loves his family you dipshits

this "goku is a bad father meme" needs to stop. In fact Im stopping it, right here

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

this "goku is a bad father meme" needs to stop. In fact Im stopping it, right here

It's not a meme, it's a fact.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Piccolo is Gohan's real father. Goku just screwed the woman that gave birth to him.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

lol that's just wishful thinking and you know it

Since everyone is so gungho happy about using anime stuff to prop up Vegeta, then why are the multiple places where Goku directly gets a second wind (e.g., just before Kaio-ken x20) because he thinks about his family and especially Chi-chi being ignored?

The Goku is a bad person meme was funny but it's being run into the ground AND is being taken seriously, making it less and less funny because it's no longer tongue-in-cheek.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Repster posted:

"Oh well I GUESS I said I would marry you when I was a kid like 6 years ago when I did not have any idea what marriage was... So sure I guess we're getting married now?"

Yeah... pretty sure that guy might not have the "BITCH DID YOU JUST HIT MAH WOMAN! IMA gently caress YOU UP!" Reaction.

the first thing that goku thinks about when he's being drowned by frieza is chi-chi. Dude loves his wife guys.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Vegeta sacrificed his life to atone for his sins and protect his wife, son, and even rival/frenemy from a horrible cosmic demon because that's how much Vegeta loves his family.

Goku forced his terrified nonconsenting 11 year old to fight an unstoppable bioandroid to the death before consciously willingly abandoning his whole family for seven years because that's how much Goku loves his family.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Name one scene in all of Dragonball when it seems plausible Goku and Chi-Chi could actually be a real couple who care about each other and might actually conceive a child

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't say Goku is a bad father, he's just not a good one. He obviously loves his family, but he's constantly getting them involved in dangerous situations, going away to train, etc.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Monaghan posted:

the first thing that goku thinks about when he's being drowned by frieza is chi-chi. Dude loves his wife guys.

but teh piccolo is gohans real dad XD lol :D goku = worst dad confirmed

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Goku forced his terrified nonconsenting 11 year old to fight an unstoppable bioandroid to the death before consciously willingly abandoning his whole family for seven years because that's how much Goku loves his family.

It's amazing how you can spin things.

You could just as easily say:

Goku depended on his son Gohan, who he directly saw his potential while training, to defeat a monster Goku himself could not defeat. This is in accordance to Gohan's own claims that he wanted to protect the Earth and his friends as said to both Piccolo and Goku.

or

Goku, realizing the wisdom of the gods telling him that he seems to be a magnet for Earth-destroying weirdos, decides to stay dead after his heroic sacrifice to save the Earth yet again and retires to his well-deserved heaven.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

Goku, realizing the wisdom of the gods telling him that he seems to be a magnet for Earth-destroying weirdos, decides to stay dead after his heroic sacrifice and retires his well-deserved heaven.

Didn't work.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Goku: please don't wish me back guys, all of the danger earth has faced has been directly due to me. Leaving me dead will bring a new era of peace to the world where everyone will be safe

Retard itt: Confirmed, goku hates his family, what a scumbag smh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku is not as comically a bad father as he is in DBZA but he's kind of legitimately a Bad Dad. He doesn't really respect Chi-Chi's fears and concerns and is legitimately unable to grasp not everyone enjoys fighting as much as he does, including his son, and it almost gets everyone killed.He does care about his family and love them but I don't really believe that if it came down to a choice between fighting and protecting them for sure he'd choose protecting them first over a good fight.

Which is the major difference with Vegeta where Vegeta has proven he will throw away the most important thing to him in order to keep his family safe.

This isn't Subtext, this is Literal Text Characters Talks About Onscreen. It is one of Goku's flaws that he is a good person who has some bad aspects to him.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Andrast posted:

Didn't work.

True enough, but it wasn't his fault those so-called wise-gods in his universe were wrong.

quote:

Goku is not as comically a bad father as he is in DBZA but he's kind of legitimately a Bad Dad. He doesn't really respect Chi-Chi's fears and concerns and is legitimately unable to grasp not everyone enjoys fighting as much as he does, including his son, and it almost gets everyone killed.He does care about his family and love them but I don't really believe that if it came down to a choice between fighting and protecting them for sure he'd choose protecting them first over a good fight.

Except Gohan himself says he wanted to fight and train to be stronger. Goku's actual fault isn't what Piccolo said about Gohan not enjoying fighting, but that he didn't realize that Gohan needed even more encouragement despite all the onscreen encouragement Goku gave him already in the anime. Which was ultimately provided by 16.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

True enough, but it wasn't his fault those so-called wise-gods in his universe were wrong.

To be fair, those gods are really useless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

Except Gohan himself says he wanted to fight and train to be stronger. Goku's actual fault isn't what Piccolo said about Gohan not enjoying fighting, but that he didn't realize that Gohan needed even more encouragement despite all the onscreen encouragement Goku gave him already in the anime. Which was ultimately provided by 16.

It isn't about encouragment. It is that Gohan doesn't like fighting. He doesn't give it his all unless he is pushed to the limit, which isn't something Goku can understand. Goku isn't a good teacher for Gohan because Gohan really doesn't have the mindset to learn the way Goku does. This isn't bad writing or anything and it doesn't make Goku a bad person, it just means Goku is at heart a good-natured kinda-dumb fightmans and he assumes everyone in the world is kind of the same way. Part of why he gets along with Vegeta is that Vegeta is probably the closest in mindset to Goku, just a way bigger rear end in a top hat. (And the irony is that Vegeta softens more than Goku does in his time on Earth.)

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

the cell saga example is bullshit. Goku couldn't beat cell, gohan could. Done. Gohan has to do it. Goku believed in gohan every step of the way, everyone else went "goku are you retarded, gohan can't beat this guy" and goku replies "Yes he can. I can't beat cell, but gohan can." every single time. And what do you loving know, goku was right. Gohan beat cell. He did what fathers do and he pushed his son to achieve greatness.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Which is the major difference with Vegeta where Vegeta has proven he will throw away the most important thing to him in order to keep his family safe.

This isn't Subtext, this is Literal Text Characters Talks About Onscreen. It is one of Goku's flaws that he is a good person who has some bad aspects to him.

To be fair in BoG he debases himself with a cheap power-up he admits he hates to defend his family and friends, that made a point about both Vegeta and himself swallowing their pride for the greater good

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I will intentionally misrepresent and misinterpret any scrap of information that makes Vegeta or Future Trunks seem better or other characters seem worse in comparison to them, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

To be fair in BoG he debases himself with a cheap power-up he admits he hates to defend his family and friends, that made a point about both Vegeta and himself swallowing their pride for the greater good

Yeah, but even there he admits that he dislikes it because he didn't get there on his own. He even points out that his pride is nothing compared to Vegeta who threw it all away to protect his family, and says that he is most upset about the fact that he couldn't fight Beerus without help. It's actually an interesting moment because it is straight-up Goku going "I am mad because I should be the strongest and I'm not" after getting a powerup from his friends and family.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

the cell saga example is bullshit. Goku couldn't beat cell, gohan could. Done. Gohan has to do it. Goku believed in gohan every step of the way, everyone else went "goku are you retarded, gohan can't beat this guy" and goku replies "Yes he can. I can't beat cell, but gohan can." every single time. And what do you loving know, goku was right. Gohan beat cell. He did what fathers do and he pushed his son to achieve greatness.

When the show itself has someone telling Goku he hosed up and Goku going "oh, I hosed up" then it's kinda hard to call it bullshit.

• Locked thread