Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I'm never gonna snipe a character slot on Excalibur, huh :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So I randomly got complimented on my DPS after an A1 Normal run and I stopped to talk to the guy about it since I'd been on the Oppressor 0.5 that died second with a good 10% difference in health. Turns out he was a Warrior tanking the other one and his DPS had made the difference.

He showed me the parse for the fight but I have no reference for what is good DPS. I am a Bard with all Alex NM gear except for Esos Weapon and Chest and one 180 Law Ring. My DPS for the fight was tops at 907, followed by the Warrior at 816 then two Dragoons at 806 and 768. I've heard of over 1k DPS in Savage though, so is this pretty good or just good for casual stuff but not quite Savage level?

EDIT: Regardless of my actual quality I'm still gonna feel good about out-dpsing other classes as a Bard every time I do it.

The bigger question is what was your dps on Faust or a dummy? 907 sounds a little low for your gear level but A1 has a fair amount of downtime, especially if you are dealing with adds and I haven't done it in a couple weeks so I don't remember what I was parsing during A1. As a Nin at i190 I just parsed 1134 on a dummy which is good but not great and I would expect a bard at the same ilvl to be within 100 of that..

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

The bigger question is what was your dps on Faust or a dummy? 907 sounds a little low for your gear level but A1 has a fair amount of downtime, especially if you are dealing with adds and I haven't done it in a couple weeks so I don't remember what I was parsing during A1. As a Nin at i190 I just parsed 1134 on a dummy which is good but not great and I would expect a bard at the same ilvl to be within 100 of that..

Yeah there's a lot of add-grabbing and running around then waiting in A1 so it'll be considerably lower than on one of those targets. I'm on PS3 though so I have no idea what I run normally, that was the first time I'd ever seen a parse of my own numbers. I'll take it as a good sign that I got that close though.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I did 958 DPS on my latest A1 run as a BLM with an eso weapon, law body/chest, and Alex NM everything else. I got 1023 on Faust which is... weirdly low, I'm not sure what's up with that. Especially considering the previous Faust was like 1128.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Paper Lion posted:

I'm never gonna snipe a character slot on Excalibur, huh :smith:

After maintenance maybe? :smith:

It sucks because you can't make alts even on certain servers anymore. I know Balmung is one of those.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

When is that? If I haven't caved in and transferred another character over then I'll try camping it if it's a reasonable-ish time

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Paper Lion posted:

When is that? If I haven't caved in and transferred another character over then I'll try camping it if it's a reasonable-ish time

Normally 3 am PDT. Watch the notifications. They didn't have one this week, but they might next week. Servers tend to go down at 11 pm PDT and come back up at 3 pm PDT

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
The esoteric summoner chest piece gave me a pretty disgusting dps boost.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Normally 3 am PDT. Watch the notifications. They didn't have one this week, but they might next week. Servers tend to go down at 11 pm PDT and come back up at 3 pm PDT

I'm considering just caving in and transferring a character already :( I think the site won't let me until it gets a charge from my CC, AKA in 30 days?

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So I randomly got complimented on my DPS after an A1 Normal run and I stopped to talk to the guy about it since I'd been on the Oppressor 0.5 that died second with a good 10% difference in health. Turns out he was a Warrior tanking the other one and his DPS had made the difference.

He showed me the parse for the fight but I have no reference for what is good DPS. I am a Bard with all Alex NM gear except for Esos Weapon and Chest and one 180 Law Ring. My DPS for the fight was tops at 907, followed by the Warrior at 816 then two Dragoons at 806 and 768. I've heard of over 1k DPS in Savage though, so is this pretty good or just good for casual stuff but not quite Savage level?

EDIT: Regardless of my actual quality I'm still gonna feel good about out-dpsing other classes as a Bard every time I do it.

Good DPS hinges on how many jumps you see in the fight. On normal you can kill it anywhere from 0 jumps so obviously you can't compare a parse that had no downtime from one that had multiple jumps.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

I'm considering just caving in and transferring a character already :( I think the site won't let me until it gets a charge from my CC, AKA in 30 days?

I believe character transfers are locked until 72 hours after character creation. tbh you might as well play for a week or so on some random server to see if you like it, goons aren't really necessary until later levels (Though it's always nice to talk to people). This game is really, really easy for the first 30 levels of content, and as a new player you'll probably be too busy figuring stuff out to watch FC chat or w/e.

Mind you transfers are like 18 bucks so if you don't wanna waste that money, trying to create a character just before/after maintenance is usually your best bet.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just hit 60 finally and am now burned out. :( I can't get the willpower to do the msq in the last area even. There were just so many side quests.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RC Cola posted:

I just hit 60 finally and am now burned out. :( I can't get the willpower to do the msq in the last area even. There were just so many side quests.

The final area really is only 4 MSQ quests and a boss solo duty. Then you get the quests for the last dungeons and its done. Just skip all the side quests.

Does anyone know the accuracy needed for alex savage for a caster?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

kafziel posted:

What was the intended strategy for Pandemonium Warden?

This is gonna be a bit spotty but here's what I remember from both reports of the era and speculation afterwards. Note that the time between him being spawned for the first time and the marathon run shutting everything down was only a couple of weeks. This blew up in SE's face pretty drat fast.

Every form of PW would spawn with 8 Pandemonium Lamp adds; PW's main form would emulate one of the many major bosses of his expansion, and his lamps would be themed similarly. A beastman king form, for example, would have lesser beastmen as the lamps. If all 8 were killed they would respawn with the next PW form, and if they were left alive they would despawn and reappear in their new appearance whenever PW switched forms.

The best guess people had was that something with either killing or not killing the lamps would let him skip forms. His forms were grouped into sets; 4 raid boss forms, 3 beastmen king forms, so on and so forth. He would choose forms within a set in a random order then move onto the next, although a couple groups making attempts reported instances where he'd only use one form from a set, then skip to the next set entirely when it was killed. That would mean you could reach his "final" form by killing only 5 forms before that instead of 20, if you did it right.

Understand that each form was like a 20-60 minute fight, with repeated wipes and recoveries. So even if you stripped the fight down to one form per set it would have been 5 hours or longer. His "last" form, where he takes his unique appearance, not only spawned 8 normal lamps but every 25% health would summon eight more whose only purpose was to throw a ludicrous amount of raid damage around, basically instantly wiping the group. You were either supposed to have a controlled wipe and recovery, or some kind of positioning which would only kill half your group or something like that. We'll never know. The marathon attempt ended here, when he wiped the group in about 2 seconds at 75% of his health and the group making the attempt realized they'd have to deal with that three times to kill him. It all fell apart after that.

Anyway the whole marathon attempt got a fair amount of play in MMO websites along the lines of "haha look how utterly hosed up FFXI is" and in response SE totally retooled the fight. They stripped half the forms out, dropped the total HP by like 80% on everything. In return he now has a 2 hour "timer" from the point that he's spawned and if his final form isn't killed in those 2 hours, he just despawns with a little message about how disappointed he is with you (because SE never passes up a chance to be a dick to FFXI players). It is a total DPS race from start to finish because you needed to go full burn for those 2 hours to make it in time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've started to decorate my private quarters in my FC's HQ. If I change FC or transfer to Excal, do I keep what I've bought? Would I have to repurchase the private quarters?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you get your furniture back, but you have to re-buy the room

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Meiteron posted:

This is gonna be a bit spotty but here's what I remember from both reports of the era and speculation afterwards. Note that the time between him being spawned for the first time and the marathon run shutting everything down was only a couple of weeks. This blew up in SE's face pretty drat fast.

Every form of PW would spawn with 8 Pandemonium Lamp adds; PW's main form would emulate one of the many major bosses of his expansion, and his lamps would be themed similarly. A beastman king form, for example, would have lesser beastmen as the lamps. If all 8 were killed they would respawn with the next PW form, and if they were left alive they would despawn and reappear in their new appearance whenever PW switched forms.

The best guess people had was that something with either killing or not killing the lamps would let him skip forms. His forms were grouped into sets; 4 raid boss forms, 3 beastmen king forms, so on and so forth. He would choose forms within a set in a random order then move onto the next, although a couple groups making attempts reported instances where he'd only use one form from a set, then skip to the next set entirely when it was killed. That would mean you could reach his "final" form by killing only 5 forms before that instead of 20, if you did it right.

Understand that each form was like a 20-60 minute fight, with repeated wipes and recoveries. So even if you stripped the fight down to one form per set it would have been 5 hours or longer. His "last" form, where he takes his unique appearance, not only spawned 8 normal lamps but every 25% health would summon eight more whose only purpose was to throw a ludicrous amount of raid damage around, basically instantly wiping the group. You were either supposed to have a controlled wipe and recovery, or some kind of positioning which would only kill half your group or something like that. We'll never know. The marathon attempt ended here, when he wiped the group in about 2 seconds at 75% of his health and the group making the attempt realized they'd have to deal with that three times to kill him. It all fell apart after that.

Anyway the whole marathon attempt got a fair amount of play in MMO websites along the lines of "haha look how utterly hosed up FFXI is" and in response SE totally retooled the fight. They stripped half the forms out, dropped the total HP by like 80% on everything. In return he now has a 2 hour "timer" from the point that he's spawned and if his final form isn't killed in those 2 hours, he just despawns with a little message about how disappointed he is with you (because SE never passes up a chance to be a dick to FFXI players). It is a total DPS race from start to finish because you needed to go full burn for those 2 hours to make it in time.

And here's what he's reduced to now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPbsHhbi4LE

When I read about it all way back when, I expected to see this awesome boss, and not just a dude sitting in a floating chair.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Good god, it still took two solid hours and that was considered a fix. I do not miss old MMOs at all, that is ludicrous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But now I want leviathan egi, even though theres no reason for it to exist.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The only thing I kind of miss from my time in FFXI was open world dungeons, but I'm just sane enough to realize that there'd be no point in having them with the way they currently work. Still, an explorable cave or something is a dream of mine. Maybe that new airship content they're planning will scratch that itch.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

But now I want leviathan egi, even though theres no reason for it to exist.

You may get it - apparently they're considering adding the "missing" egis as skins for the existing three. Apparently they couldn't come up with a way to add the missing egis while making them unique so they're looking into a way to allow summoners to "skin" the three egi types.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

You may get it - apparently they're considering adding the "missing" egis as skins for the existing three. Apparently they couldn't come up with a way to add the missing egis while making them unique so they're looking into a way to allow summoners to "skin" the three egi types.

Ysayle-egi all day everyday.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

900ish as a bard on the Oppressors is pretty solid if there were multiple jumps. Given the shameful display by those dragoons I'll assume there were multiple jumps.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't switch too adds on alex 1 raid finder, then call people out who are switching to adds. "Why is your dps so low".

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I don't switch too adds on alex 1 raid finder, then call people out who are switching to adds. "Why is your dps so low".

While using only fracture without a job stone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Just switch throw out a bane and switch your pet over.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

While using only fracture without a job stone.

but you can cross class better skills! raging strikes will make all the difference! we're gonna kill levi ex so fast you guys

:dawkins101:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So why is Hildebrand in the :gitgud: emote? Not to offend, but FFXIV isn't exactly the kind of game that defense for bad mechanics advice gets floated.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

SirPhoebos posted:

So why is Hildebrand in the :gitgud: emote? Not to offend, but FFXIV isn't exactly the kind of game that defense for bad mechanics advice gets floated.

I thought it was Jensen from Deus Ex at first glance.

But I'm betting it's from a dumb inside joke threads ago.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

After getting the 60 msq what should I do first? Grind dungeons for gear?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SirPhoebos posted:

Joke character telling you to get good, good comedy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Take a break because you're apparently already burned out.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Take a break because you're apparently already burned out.

Yes please do this. There's cool poo poo to be appreciated in the dungeons/raids to follow, but some gear grind will be necessary to get there. Don't ruin the fun by forcing yourself to play too much!

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I'm trying to log into Goblin and when I get to the character screen, I only see my character's name and nothing else pops up. When I try to log in, it just says world data or something can't be obtained.

On the lodestone server status page it says all the servers, including Goblin, are online. Anyone know what this is about?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

frosteh posted:

I'm trying to log into Goblin and when I get to the character screen, I only see my character's name and nothing else pops up. When I try to log in, it just says world data or something can't be obtained.

On the lodestone server status page it says all the servers, including Goblin, are online. Anyone know what this is about?

Think something is up with the servers, I'm getting an HTTPS system error

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Leal posted:

Think something is up with the servers, I'm getting an HTTPS system error

Emergency Maintenance tonight during US prime time raid hours. RIP.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

RC Cola posted:

lv60 PVP Roulette! It's different from the rest of the content you've been doing, has good rewards (the law and esoteric tome rewards are strictly participation, you only get wolf marks / pvp glamor gear currency and pvp exp for your FC winning), and maybe you'll like it!

For PvE stuff, go to Idylshire and Coerthas and look for lv60 quests to unlock the lv60 dungeons. Do them once to unlock EXDR which gives 75 esoterics each day (40 from the dungeon +35 from the daily bonus). It's only two dungeons so it's easy to burn out on EXDR quickly though

(Also definitely take a break if you're feeling tired. Don't burn yourself out trying to cap poo poo or gear up or w/e)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

TooManyUzukis posted:

Yes please do this. There's cool poo poo to be appreciated in the dungeons/raids to follow, but some gear grind will be necessary to get there. Don't ruin the fun by forcing yourself to play too much!

Yeah in the last month I burned through all the content and side quests up to 60 as well as working on my relic weapon. My problem is I was pushing myself to hit the end game with my cousin who is leaving the country for a long time so I wanted to be able to play with him. I guess I'll just take a break like you all are saying though. The game has become less fun. I blame the churning mists.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
I want to play ranged DPS at endgame in FF14. I've narrowed it down to Black Mage or Summoner, with a possibility of Bard. I understand that Summoners left something to be desired in their DPS at level 50; is that any better at 60? Some sperg sheet I saw on the interweb had a bunch of :words: about why he thinks Summoner will outpace Black Mage at 60 but I figured I'd come here to ask the real pros.

I don't need to play a class because it does 2.33% (repeating of course) better DPS, but I also do not want to be left out of groups because I picked a bad class. So, all you raiding pros, what class should I play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

wraith_5_ posted:

I want to play ranged DPS at endgame in FF14. I've narrowed it down to Black Mage or Summoner, with a possibility of Bard. I understand that Summoners left something to be desired in their DPS at level 50; is that any better at 60? Some sperg sheet I saw on the interweb had a bunch of :words: about why he thinks Summoner will outpace Black Mage at 60 but I figured I'd come here to ask the real pros.

I don't need to play a class because it does 2.33% (repeating of course) better DPS, but I also do not want to be left out of groups because I picked a bad class. So, all you raiding pros, what class should I play?

Try them out and play whichever one you like. There are no bad classes, everyone gets to raid.

• Locked thread