Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Please don't solo queue, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

this is simultaneously the worst and the best video i've ever seen

Bakermang
Mar 18, 2007
ripripstabstab
This is my favorite Cloud 9 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smsg5WtVUnk

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

I have a bachelor party this weekend and you just gave me the greatest idea of all time.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This game is acting up today. Constantly failing to connect to servers and then outright closing in the middle of a match.

Oh well. Hey, I recently rebound my "Use" key and now I can't take control of bots anymore. Any idea why?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

The Ferret King posted:

I recently rebound my "Use" key and now I can't take control of bots anymore. Any idea why?

A few of the spec commands kind of do the same thing, like changing your crouch bind to something other than control and not being able to pull up the full map in spec. :csgo:

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

A few of the spec commands kind of do the same thing, like changing your crouch bind to something other than control and not being able to pull up the full map in spec. :csgo:

I have crouch on c and this has never been a problem for me. Just hit the new bind.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Depths posted:

Please don't solo queue, thank you

If only nLucky had invited you to their clan, you wouldn't have to. . .

My spider-sense is tingling..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bh8bcLHvk

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SealHammer posted:

I have crouch on c and this has never been a problem for me. Just hit the new bind.

I've had this happen with other things too though. Even if you hit the new bind. Like when you draw on the map during spec, there's a button to clear it. I forget what it was, but it no longer works for me, even if I hit the new key that I assigned to that normal function.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Finally got my 10 MM wins and landed in Gold Nova II. Seems very appropriate considering how often I get stomped in Goonmans.

At least it's not silver :chome:

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I've opened a poo poo ton of crates and gotten nothing. Today I went afk near the end of a deathmatch server. When I came back to my computer, I saw aknowledge new item. It was a red m4a1-s factory new, worth 200 dollars apparantly.

I wish I was there when it showed everyone what I got and heard the reaction from the deathmatch community

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I've opened a poo poo ton of crates and gotten nothing. Today I went afk near the end of a deathmatch server. When I came back to my computer, I saw aknowledge new item. It was a red m4a1-s factory new, worth 200 dollars apparantly.

I wish I was there when it showed everyone what I got and heard the reaction from the deathmatch community

Yeah that thing is going to be the Dragon Lore of the Operation, pretty much a guarantee.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Thom ZombieForm posted:

That's pretty boss. Like nftyw said you could probably hang onto it for a few months and see it's price go up and up. Still 200 bucks is 200 bucks. Enough to buy a few steam games, a knife and still have some left over.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Spent some time playing with my friend who has ~200 hours. In our MM games together, he's had both a Desert Eagle Blaze and an AWP Pink DDPAT drop. Best I've ever had is like some blue Battle-Scarred P250.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Triple Boosting is back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoqDhAfjuk

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
They're in a corner, and the guy on top has his legs colliding with the top of the wall, so he's pushing against it to mitigate the sliding-off effect of being on top of a three man boost.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

mcvey posted:

I wonder how easy this would be to pull off reliably by queuing for the least played map(s). I know people get to Global through solely playing maps like aztec/militia/vertigo with that same idea.

I had let my rank expire but I wanted to queue with my friend. To get around the restriction we both queued up for mirage and if the queue didn't pop at the same time we would both cancel. It took us five minutes to get into the same game and we even ended up on the same team.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I was watching some old 1.6 highlight reels and god I miss the old deagle. I can't use the GO version for poo poo and I have no idea why, but I could at least hit with the 1.6 version.

I also miss prodigy :(

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Out of my nova-4 (which apparently is like silver 2 now or w/e) purgatory into MG1, promptly lost 3 straight and back to N4. There seemed like a pretty big jump in individual skill at mg, people were way quicker and headshotty-er and I couldn't get away with bullshit like buying nova over smgs. Also man people are way more cynical [soloQ 4 lyfe], in the bad ranks people who aren't smurfing are TryHarding to not be so bad and you get vapors of crude stategies forming which are good enough, but then it's like everyone going wherever and baiting eachother and emo child CS-whining about how everything is bad on the mic.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Infinotize posted:

Out of my nova-4 (which apparently is like silver 2 now or w/e) purgatory into MG1, promptly lost 3 straight and back to N4. There seemed like a pretty big jump in individual skill at mg, people were way quicker and headshotty-er and I couldn't get away with bullshit like buying nova over smgs. Also man people are way more cynical [soloQ 4 lyfe], in the bad ranks people who aren't smurfing are TryHarding to not be so bad and you get vapors of crude stategies forming which are good enough, but then it's like everyone going wherever and baiting eachother and emo child CS-whining about how everything is bad on the mic.

I will take a team of insane russians who rush every round as T over a team of better skilled players who just sit and camp until 20s on the clock, or bait for kills. A team can handle one baiting retard, and basically no more.

Usually that retard is me.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I think I'm finally getting into this game more, after about 60 hours of gameplay. I haven't even touched Competitive at all, but been playing Deathmatch and Casual to figure out aiming, how to throw nades and just picking up the basics.

I had a game of Casual on Train playing as T and we were up 7-6, ended up at a 1v2 with about 30 seconds to go. I kill one CT, sneak and grab the bomb, but notice that I don't have enough time to plant. I heard the last CT move so I sneak up on his position and then peek the correct corner and kill him for the win with 2 seconds left.

So fun!

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

You are already in the elite minority of players who can comprehend the difference between "peak" and "peek".

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Infinotize posted:

You are already in the elite minority of players who can comprehend the difference between "peak" and "peek".

lol

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Kuros posted:

I think I'm finally getting into this game more, after about 60 hours of gameplay. I haven't even touched Competitive at all, but been playing Deathmatch and Casual to figure out aiming, how to throw nades and just picking up the basics.

I'd highly recommend FFA DM servers. You're going to get your poo poo wrecked constantly until you get quick enough to defend yourself - and that's exactly how you get better.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Infinotize posted:

Gamers eschew such things as grammar, punctuaction, hell, academia in general on their way to becoming the next get_right

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

fennesz posted:

I'd highly recommend FFA DM servers. You're going to get your poo poo wrecked constantly until you get quick enough to defend yourself - and that's exactly how you get better.

I've played on a couple and yes, those are a bit harder. I'll find some good ones near me for practice. Thanks.

Infinotize posted:

Then again, I'm a 30 year old man, not a 15 year old squeaker.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Squeeker?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Nah, squeeker is someone who maybe has a verbal tic or a tendency to have a voice crack that makes their voice go crazy high.

A squeaker is the words squeak and speaker mixed together because the person in question is like that, all the time

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kuros posted:

I had a game of Casual on Train playing as T and we were up 7-6, ended up at a 1v2 with about 30 seconds to go. I kill one CT, sneak and grab the bomb, but notice that I don't have enough time to plant. I heard the last CT move so I sneak up on his position and then peek the correct corner and kill him for the win with 2 seconds left.

So fun!

You're probably more than ready to try competitive at this point. Post back when you get your rank, I wouldn't mind having more people in my age group to play with.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

prom candy posted:

You're probably more than ready to try competitive at this point. Post back when you get your rank, I wouldn't mind having more people in my age group to play with.

Sure thing, I just got a headset as well.

Also, another question for anyone, I see people playing 4:3 stretched. Any major advantages for it over 16:9?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Kuros posted:

Sure thing, I just got a headset as well.

Also, another question for anyone, I see people playing 4:3 stretched. Any major advantages for it over 16:9?

It's either a habit from older cs games or just blindly doing it because pros do it (because of the former.) It makes people appear shorter, squatter and bigger, so I guess it could give the illusion of making for easier targets- but you lose out on quite a bit of peripheral vision by playing stretched as opposed to widescreen.

I started playing 4:3 stretched because that's how I did it back in the day and there's no going back now, but in retrospect I wish I'd just sucked it up and gone for a normal resolution. Stretched lower res also helps to max out your fps.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Kuros posted:

I've played on a couple and yes, those are a bit harder. I'll find some good ones near me for practice. Thanks.

They're also pretty good because the good servers put spawn points in the common areas people will hold so you're reliably getting some good experience there too.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's either a habit from older cs games or just blindly doing it because pros do it (because of the former.) It makes people appear shorter, squatter and bigger, so I guess it could give the illusion of making for easier targets- but you lose out on quite a bit of peripheral vision by playing stretched as opposed to widescreen.

I started playing 4:3 stretched because that's how I did it back in the day and there's no going back now, but in retrospect I wish I'd just sucked it up and gone for a normal resolution. Stretched lower res also helps to max out your fps.

I don't have the greatest of vision, but I don't like wearing my glasses when I game. I honestly think that things are just easier to see for me on that resolution.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I played 4:3 back when I was really into CS:S in 2005 but played lots of 16:9 shooters in between then and now. I tried 4:3 stretched on a whim and liked it and now I can't go back. It feels easier to hit my shots and I don't really want the extra peripheral vision as it can be distracting. I tried to switch back to 16:9 but I just don't like it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Whenever I play FFA DM I find myself holding really silly positions because I want to win. Like on dust2 I will hold the stairs in B tunnels or the stairs on catwalk where you wouldn't really be in a match.

I get too annoyed when I'm trying to practice holding A plat and someone spawns right behind me.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The argument for stretched is that you decrease your fov while using your whole screen estate, and since you should be aiming where the enemies is going to be anyway, peripheral vision isn't important. This can be helpful for performance.

This argument ignores the fact that pretty much every good team has a player who has a penchant for sneaky/interesting plays, and you're basically hosed if confronted by this player.

Basically, do whatever, they both have their good points and their drawbacks. So you should lower your sensitivity instead

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 19, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007

dex_sda posted:

So you should lower your sensitivity instead

agreed

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
4:3 also helps a ton with FPS. On low end machines at least

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fred Durst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
How do you see how much you've spent on keys?

• Locked thread