Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

NTRabbit posted:

They're a lot quicker to paint than any other army :v:

Cheaper and smaller model count too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

NTRabbit posted:

They're a lot quicker to paint than any other army :v:

I painted up an ettin from my copy of Descent, and I have to say, it definitely is one of the better looking miniatures I've ever done.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

adhuin posted:

Pretty much this.

I have pretty large Lizardman Army, that works perfectly with KoW.
I can't use it's Slann Mage priests any more, so they'll have to work as unit fillers.

There's a Mage-Priest Hero option in the Salamanders list though :confused:

Evilmonstar
Nov 18, 2012

muskets posted:

1: You EITHER regroup or pull back, and combat is resolved one unit at a time, so the unit that already pulled back stays where it is.

2: Spells are treated as shooting, and as such can't be used in melee except if they explicitly say otherwise.

3: See above, except that Heal explicitly says you CAN use it on units engaged in combat in its rules text, so in that specific example you can.

Thanks man!

Daedleh posted:

1) You resolve all attacks against an enemy unit before ending the combat and testing the nerve, not a nerve test after each unit attacking. After the nerve test has been resolved then you bounce back or regroup.

Ah, okay. This is helpful.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Silhouette posted:

There's a Mage-Priest Hero option in the Salamanders list though :confused:

They're on a 25mm or Cavalry-base, so they're probably salamander Mage-Priests. Not Fat Frogs on a palanquin.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

bencreateddisco posted:

ogres seem to be a pretty popular choice right now

i worry that my flanks aren't super secure, and it's hard to say if a pike phalanx is total garbage or not- they seem like they should hold up against most stuff

could we post everything formatted out from this site? it makes it a lot easier to understand the units if you're not familiar with every army list.

http://kow2.easyarmy.com/

Pikes are amazeballs. It takes some serious loving effort to shift even one of those hordes, let alone 3.

Your weakness is a relative lack of Inspiring. I'd want at least one more source of (very) Inspiring in 2k, if not two more. ASBs will do the job plenty fine. If your ASB gets sniped out (e.g. Lightning Bolt) then you're really screwed and will find your line crumbling very quickly. The Captains Inspiring bubble only covers so much... With so few Inspiring heroes any decent player will try and take yours out ASAP. A lot of wizards are mounted on horses so you'll really struggle to hide your ASB from their fire.

You'll definitely want a mounted ASB to go along with your knights to keep them covered.

This is the sort of take all comers list I'd take for 2000 points:

Those Red Goblins are going to make short work of your Knights before swinging round behind your lines - even two of them against your knights will tie you up long enough for the Warriors to get a charge off. The Boomers will definitely make a beeline for your ASB and the pair of them firing at him (effective 18" range) will probably pop him in a single turn, two at most. Since they're height 2, you won't be able to hide him without moving him away from your forces and leaving them uninspired (which is good enough for me...).

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

Daedleh posted:

Pikes are amazeballs. It takes some serious loving effort to shift even one of those hordes, let alone 3.

Your weakness is a relative lack of Inspiring. I'd want at least one more source of (very) Inspiring in 2k, if not two more. ASBs will do the job plenty fine. If your ASB gets sniped out (e.g. Lightning Bolt) then you're really screwed and will find your line crumbling very quickly. The Captains Inspiring bubble only covers so much... With so few Inspiring heroes any decent player will try and take yours out ASAP. A lot of wizards are mounted on horses so you'll really struggle to hide your ASB from their fire.

You'll definitely want a mounted ASB to go along with your knights to keep them covered.

This is the sort of take all comers list I'd take for 2000 points:

Those Red Goblins are going to make short work of your Knights before swinging round behind your lines - even two of them against your knights will tie you up long enough for the Warriors to get a charge off. The Boomers will definitely make a beeline for your ASB and the pair of them firing at him (effective 18" range) will probably pop him in a single turn, two at most. Since they're height 2, you won't be able to hide him without moving him away from your forces and leaving them uninspired (which is good enough for me...).

you don't think 3 cannons should be enough to counter your flankers/heavy units?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

bencreateddisco posted:

you don't think 3 cannons should be enough to counter your flankers/heavy units?

You'll get 2-3 turns at most before I'm on top of you. You'll do some significant damage, but won't stop me without some amazing dice rolls. It'll come down to melee.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

adhuin posted:

They're on a 25mm or Cavalry-base, so they're probably salamander Mage-Priests. Not Fat Frogs on a palanquin.

Oh, drat. That's a pretty big oversight. Maybe bring it up on the playtest forums?

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

something like this is probably a little more balanced

thoughts?

edit: note that the footguard have two-handed weapons and the mounted scouts have pistols

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

We're aware of it but Slaan equivalents just don't fit in the background fluff.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
This may be a horrible stupid question, but couldn't you just use the Slaan with the bigger base and all? It's more advantageous to your opponent anyway, right?

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

bencreateddisco posted:

something like this is probably a little more balanced

thoughts?

edit: note that the footguard have two-handed weapons and the mounted scouts have pistols

The infantry line covers about 3' 6" on it's own. I figure, if I'm going against a cav heavy army, I can just anchor one flank to some terrain, and then stack the other with my own cav/foot guard.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

shoplifter posted:

This may be a horrible stupid question, but couldn't you just use the Slaan with the bigger base and all? It's more advantageous to your opponent anyway, right?

My thoughts exactly.

In other news, forest shamblers supported by a tree herder are pretty baller and I'm going to exchange my heavy cav regiment with another horde next time I play. Vanguard, Pathfinder and Surge(12) with the magic item is pretty cool!

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I'm a little confused about the combat rules.

In my understanding things go a little like this

1. Player A. charges Player B.

2. During Melee phase Player A's unit rolls its attacks

3. Player B's unit tests nerve and neither wavers nor routes

4. The units disengage from each other and are moved an inch apart

5. During Player B's turn, the only way to continue this engagement would be for his unit to charge and repeat the above steps.

If this is the case, then what is stopping a unit of knights from using thunderous charge over and over?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
When a unit is attacked in melee, whatever hapoens, they are disordered and cannot shoot or gain thunderous charge bonuses.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

bencreateddisco posted:

I'm a little confused about the combat rules.

In my understanding things go a little like this

1. Player A. charges Player B.

2. During Melee phase Player A's unit rolls its attacks

3. Player B's unit tests nerve and neither wavers nor routes

4. The units disengage from each other and are moved an inch apart

5. During Player B's turn, the only way to continue this engagement would be for his unit to charge and repeat the above steps.

If this is the case, then what is stopping a unit of knights from using thunderous charge over and over?

If the Knights suffered at least 1 damage they are Disordered.
Disordered units do not benefit from Thundering Charge bonus.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Victor Vermis posted:

If the Knights suffered at least 1 damage they are Disordered.
Disordered units do not benefit from Thundering Charge bonus.

As Victor points out above, but also keep in mind that some mounted troops have both Thundering Charge and Crushing Strength that somewhat helps to mitigate this, as the CS isn't lost if disordered.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I totally missed the clause about disordered and only read it as hindered. That makes a lot more sense!

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Think I might use ronaldo the bard as a standard bearer, he's so inspiring

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bencreateddisco posted:

The infantry line covers about 3' 6" on it's own. I figure, if I'm going against a cav heavy army, I can just anchor one flank to some terrain, and then stack the other with my own cav/foot guard.

Our better yet, take him off the palanquin and mount him on a tiny pony.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
My shipment from Warbases came in today and it smells so good.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

My shipment from Warbases came in today and it smells so good.

Mm, burnt MDF smell.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Can we get that base size table in the op?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Signal posted:

Can we get that base size table in the op?

Should probably add the brief description about what each army is and how it fights to the OP too

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Twilight Kin list was posted in an update! It still has the "Don't get attached to this" disclaimer, so I'm curious how big the planned changes are.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

moths posted:

The Twilight Kin list was posted in an update! It still has the "Don't get attached to this" disclaimer, so I'm curious how big the planned changes are.

It'll be pretty close to the old one, with balance tweaks for 2e. The Twilight Kin are getting a redesign from the ground up with new fluff etc, which is why we're not supposed to get too attached. The list on the site is for existing TK armies, and I guess GW Dark Elf players.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Feels good to finally have all my Marauders painted up. My largest DZ faction, so plowing through the rest shouldn't take as long. Probably would have gone faster without the urban camo on everyone...

Commandos

Gun Suits

Hulks (with hair)

Melee Suits

Pyros and Dogs

Snipers

Stuntbot

Commanders and Tanks

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

~~~~~~ NEW LIST ~~~~~

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
What kind of tournament support do Mantic have? The reason I'm asking is that the guys who normally arrange the FB tournaments around here are still deciding whether to use the 9th age, AoS or KoW rules for this falls tournament. I gave them demo games of KoW this Saturday and they really enjoyed it, a lot more than AoS. Is there some kind of tournament system gor KoW like ITS for Infinity?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Check the mantic forums. They aRe all about tourneys, you could probably even get some good support if you talk to them.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Greater Earth Elemental

Might go back and do another layer of highlights on the red since the picture barely shows any

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Looks great, I like the Thor added for scale.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Phoon posted:

Greater Earth Elemental

Might go back and do another layer of highlights on the red since the picture barely shows any

If you don't mind me asking what model is that?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
It's a Lego thor

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is that a painted Lego elemental?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Doctor Borris posted:

If you don't mind me asking what model is that?

Says right in the description, Greater Earth Elemental.

The Greater Obsidian Golem is supposed to be a two part kit (see here, although I can't see anything to that effect on the Mantic site. In fact, I don't see anything about Forces of Nature at all. It looks like the "dual kit" means a different head and arms, looking at the photo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's replacement head and arms, anyone who ordered a Greater Obsidian Golem or Greater Earth Elemental in the Kickstarter gets both sets of parts, but at retail you only get one or the other in the box.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

you can buy it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

It's replacement head and arms, anyone who ordered a Greater Obsidian Golem or Greater Earth Elemental in the Kickstarter gets both sets of parts, but at retail you only get one or the other in the box.

Good to know!