Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Glory of Arioch posted:

did you try, like

making a new page called "200 day plan"

and then depositing your idea there

because in five years of using and occasionally editing the wiki i have never had an experience like yours and I feel like you're making it up

No. The reason being that I'm certainly no expert in 200 day training plans and I was hoping to be able to invigorate a small group of people to utilize the existing jabber channels and forum to come up with a good discussion and input, then start building from there. I joined the wiki janitors group (a very dead group) and tried speaking with Kyalla Ahashion, the aformentioned karmafleet person who's the sort of defacto leader at the moment. We discussed the activity level of the group (effectively zero) and I asked if anyone had tried to organize and incentivize people to contribute (yes and no, respectively). The wiki janitors group hasn't been posted in since July, and really hasn't had anything new posted since April of this year. She was in charge, but by appointment, and Raegalan was only really invested in getting the fittings updated so that our doctrines were correct.

Speaking with others, including Draghkar, I was informed that I was going to have to get Raegalan's okay to start making changes to any pages that contained fittings (*especially* pages with doctrine fits) and then the wiki group was coming under the new infromation warfare division along with the revitalized propaganda group, so I'd need to start working with that person as well and get them on board. And that's all before even really diving in to "hey, would the alliance throw down a couple billion to whichever stakeholder is in charge of the group to pay out a few million isk per page updated or like a hundred million to someone if we got them to come up with a nice new template design for pages?"

All of this just to try and get permission to grab a few people in group and/or with a SIG recruitment post, maybe come up with a better template design, create some discussion around a 200 day plan + future progression idea and maybe we'll toss down some isk for people's time in doing the grunt work on it. Sorry, it's not 2011 and I'm not putting *that* much effort into this game anymore. I could have beaten the bushes and probably made a case to a few people and gotten all the permissions and such eventually, but I'm not in a stepping-on-toes mood when it comes to playing EVE. If it's going to create static or pushback, I'm fine leaving it as it is. I've had enough of being involved in the leadership drama and I just want to have fun and play bad spaceship games with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

koreban posted:

No. The reason being that I'm certainly no expert in 200 day training plans and I was hoping to be able to invigorate a small group of people to utilize the existing jabber channels and forum to come up with a good discussion and input, then start building from there. I joined the wiki janitors group (a very dead group) and tried speaking with Kyalla Ahashion, the aformentioned karmafleet person who's the sort of defacto leader at the moment. We discussed the activity level of the group (effectively zero) and I asked if anyone had tried to organize and incentivize people to contribute (yes and no, respectively). The wiki janitors group hasn't been posted in since July, and really hasn't had anything new posted since April of this year. She was in charge, but by appointment, and Raegalan was only really invested in getting the fittings updated so that our doctrines were correct.

Speaking with others, including Draghkar, I was informed that I was going to have to get Raegalan's okay to start making changes to any pages that contained fittings (*especially* pages with doctrine fits) and then the wiki group was coming under the new infromation warfare division along with the revitalized propaganda group, so I'd need to start working with that person as well and get them on board. And that's all before even really diving in to "hey, would the alliance throw down a couple billion to whichever stakeholder is in charge of the group to pay out a few million isk per page updated or like a hundred million to someone if we got them to come up with a nice new template design for pages?"

All of this just to try and get permission to grab a few people in group and/or with a SIG recruitment post, maybe come up with a better template design, create some discussion around a 200 day plan + future progression idea and maybe we'll toss down some isk for people's time in doing the grunt work on it. Sorry, it's not 2011 and I'm not putting *that* much effort into this game anymore. I could have beaten the bushes and probably made a case to a few people and gotten all the permissions and such eventually, but I'm not in a stepping-on-toes mood when it comes to playing EVE. If it's going to create static or pushback, I'm fine leaving it as it is. I've had enough of being involved in the leadership drama and I just want to have fun and play bad spaceship games with friends.

you do realize that the fitting thing only applies to reimbursable/strategic fits and not to anything else right

i highly doubt any of this actually happened but if it did, it's the loving wiki, you make the change and then poo poo liberally on the faces of anyone who would hurf that kind of blurf

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

koreban posted:

I was asked to take a look at it as a project, then I found out that it's not only the ragged post-confluence husk with 3 year old fittings, but it's completely wrapped up in illuminati land grabs and defensive posturing should anyone express even an interest in taking it on.

No it's not you fuckin retard shut up Courthouse.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Demiurge4 posted:

Stick Ullerrm in Karmafleet and tell him he can come back when the wiki is up to date.

Then we could close down the rental program because without the Waffe bonus we would no longer need to rent out an entire region to pay Ullerrms SRP.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Zephyrine posted:

Then we could close down the rental program because without the Waffe bonus we would no longer need to rent out an entire region to pay Ullerrms SRP.

:drat:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

vyst posted:

No it's not you fuckin retard shut up Courthouse.

oh poo poo that is courthouse? lmbo

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Its about organization and incentivization of the new informational warfare division without stepping on space-toes and getting reverted :shobon:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

koreban posted:

No. I was trying to suggest an organized means of updating from the newbie/welcome to goonfleet pages through the doctrine fittings to have a clearer progression of relevant information for day 1-200. Then using the information and templates from those to branch out into updates to ratting, exploration, capital progression, etc. Basically creating a "heres what you do in your first 200 days so you can join stratops and start a ratting income" then a series of options for progression onwards.

This, however would result in changes to several pages that are managed by specific people, and fundamental changes to the way information is presented, beyond uploading your pubcorp's special snowflake requires multiple layers of explanation and proper reverence to whichever director feels like getting credit for it today.

The effort to frustration ratio in just the few days that I spent trying to go about talking to people about coming up with a plan and maybe an incentive to recruit a few people to work on the project turned me off of it completely.

Also, if there are locked pages that need editing we do have a group that can edit those pages. They are locked for a reason. But there's no moratorium on editing, nor is there any "overarching" restrictions on editing. The Wiki Janitor team was developed to clean up the mess and create a more efficient set of templates to use to make pages easier to make and edit. Nobody is going to stop anyone from making edits to non-locked pages and there's an issue with that happening let me know and I'll handle it. Also, if there *is* a locked page you'd like to make adjustments to to make them more accurate - make the page brand new as a "dummy" page unlinked somewhere and send me a link to it as the draft and i'll be happy to update any locked page for you. This goes for anyone that reads this.

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Goonwiki:Contributing

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Goonwiki:Priorities

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Zephyrine posted:

I haven't filed for reimbursement in two months, piss off :colbert:

(I've only lost one ship in two months, and I forgot to file for reimb for it :P)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Glory of Arioch posted:

you do realize that the fitting thing only applies to reimbursable/strategic fits and not to anything else right

i highly doubt any of this actually happened but if it did, it's the loving wiki, you make the change and then poo poo liberally on the faces of anyone who would hurf that kind of blurf

Yeah, fully aware.

I get where your doubt comes from, but this is a no hyperbole accounting. If I had the time to do all of the templates and drafting and posting of pages like that, I'd have absolutely done the edits myself. Coming in fresh to a group, I needed to speak with the people already involved. All of them needed to get permissions from someone else and a stakeholder had to get involved and then we had to make sure not to step on any number of people's toes... It was dumber than the effort involved was worth.

e: yes, Vyst, I'm aware of the process to edit a page and request unlocks as necessary. The issue wasn't that, it was the number of people involved and the level of bureaucratic bullshit that even simple requests was generating. I wasn't about to come barging back through the place like a rhino in a china shop and I knew that if I did, I'd be taken about as seriously as you're taking me now. I don't care to repeat that, nor do I want to get into pissing matches with directorate figures again, so as soon as it started to go there, I got the gently caress away from it.

koreban fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 19, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Also, lol at the concept of stakeholders having any sort of say whatsoever on the wiki. The only thing of any merit might be that the FC directors approve fits before throwing them on the wiki as "official" or "reimbursable" fits or whatever, which is a smart move. Anything outside of that, as someone that's been watching "wiki-gate" since I became a wiki admin in like January, is either not fully informed at best and someone straight up lying to you at worst. Unless you're going to name drop the bureaucrats and call them out we all have a hard time believing you given your prickly history the past couple of years with the Goonswarm Bureaucratic machine.

And the wiki janitor group only needed approval to change public pages from what I'm aware of and that's only because they did not have access to do so.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Then some people still don't like me and successfully ran me off of the project. I don't know what to tell you. That was my experience like a month ago when I looked into doing a casual thing to pitch in and stay low key.

e: logs are on my home PC, so I can't name drop at the moment, but I did speak with Kayala, Sion and Draghkar for sure.

koreban fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 19, 2015

DumbAzRocks
Sep 5, 2013

koreban posted:

Then some people still don't like me and successfully ran me off of the project. I don't know what to tell you. That was my experience like a month ago when I looked into doing a casual thing to pitch in and stay low key.

e: logs are on my home PC, so I can't name drop at the moment, but I did speak with Kayala, Sion and Draghkar for sure.

:tinfoil: The wiki illuminati. They have a personal problem with you. Has to be. Likley nothing to do with goons being goons and editing things for the humor.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Why do you care so much about the wiki when its kinda obvious that no one else does.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I carved out the pages on recon tackle ranges and the history of hostile GBC corps as a personal fiefdom back in 2008 and I will cut anyone who tries to step on my turf. 404 represent.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

koreban posted:

try this: edit the pages you want to edit and be done with it wow WOW wow

edit if people come to you and act all high and mighty ask them this, verbatim: "Why are you such a fag"

or this "courthouse stop being a big gay baby"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pookum posted:

Why do you care so much about the wiki when its kinda obvious that no one else does.

shallow attempt at stirring up drama

unfortunately the wiki keeps an edit history

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glory of Arioch posted:

shallow attempt at stirring up drama

unfortunately the wiki keeps an edit history

The purpose was to point out that for anyone looking to do some wiki edits, based on my experience, there's a dead group and some bureaucracy involved, however it appears that may have been more to do with my involvement than an institutional issue. Either way, this is dumb and if someone wants to edit the wiki, there's a whole bunch of directors in this thread who are super interested in helping.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did a wiki edit so I'm helping.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Kyalla Ahashion is pretty much managing the entire wiki right now, if people want to help out she's probably the best person to talk to. Also I might have some words about getting a few of the gooniversity people I have lying around to start updating wiki pages.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Can someone show me a lot of examples of the wiki being out of date? It's not like it's terribly out of date for what's necessary for a newbie (or veteran) to get information from. MOST ships and modules themselves haven't had too many, or for that matter drastic, changes in years and since then the wiki has slowly been updated to reflect that (you'll notice this when an article says something like "Post Crucible" or "after the speed nerf"). It's not like you're going to search Vagabond and it shows some insane nano speed setup from 2005. Doctrine fits are always updated accordingly, politics is reasonably updated, and explanation of the game and most mechanics and how to do things in Eve Online: An Online Game are still largely accurate.

In short: if it's inaccurate, edit that poo poo yourself and you no longer contribute to the problem you're whining about.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 19, 2015

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Endie posted:

I carved out the pages on recon tackle ranges and the history of hostile GBC corps as a personal fiefdom back in 2008 and I will cut anyone who tries to step on my turf. 404 represent.

I hear you are the Donald Trump of EVE :v: (Of course it was on Reddit)

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Wiki is dead. Goon culture is dead. Eve is dead. RIP Eve.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

dialhforhero posted:

Can someone show me a lot of examples of the wiki being out of date? It's not like it's terribly out of date for what's necessary for a newbie (or veteran) to get information from. MOST ships and modules themselves haven't had too many, or for that matter drastic, changes in years and since then the wiki has slowly been updated to reflect that (you'll notice this when an article says something like "Post Crucible" or "after the speed nerf"). It's not like you're going to search Vagabond and it shows some insane nano speed setup from 2005. Doctrine fits are always updated accordingly, politics is reasonably updated, and explanation of the game and most mechanics and how to do things in Eve Online: An Online Game are still largely accurate.

In short: if it's inaccurate, edit that poo poo yourself and you no longer contribute to the problem you're whining about.

Some parts are really out of date but I think most of the pages that people would go to (especially newbies) are cleared up. If you really want to help, join the goonwiki jabber channel and ask people what needs working on.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ullerrm posted:

Good orthrus words

The strength of the Orthrus is that you don't need a whole fleet of em to gently caress up entosis ceptors, you only need one and links. It's like the sov janitor, sweeping away all the trash

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I want to split the wormhole page in two: wormholes the system, and wormholes the system connection. I think there's enough info to cover each separately. More importantly, disambiguating between systems and connections throughout the same page is confusing.

This would be a heroic edit job, even for a rough initial split.

How often does this happen with pages, and was the wormhole page split in the past? Like, am I suggesting the opposite of someone else's work.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

dialhforhero posted:

There have actually been a lot of changes to the game over the last year or two that break tons of fits and render many more not worth using. Even if you're good at figuring out metacide module substitutions, there are a bunch of hulls that were relevant very recently that are not anymore, and vice-versa. This has pretty much always been the case, so any fitting that sits around on the wiki for more than a year is probably not going to be something you ever want to use.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Should the page for Eve-Mail Etiquette include an explanation on setting the CSPA charge to zero?

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Hexel posted:

Is there any reason why we dont have an orthrus doctrine for fozziesov cleanup rather than loving feroxes?
Nevermind that the Orthrus isn't even the best ship for this (against either small fleets or solo interceptors), it's a bit expensive and skillpoint-intensive, requires experience and some small amount of skill to fly, and would lend itself to lots of hilarious losses when placed in the hands of the average imperium member.

abigserve posted:

The strength of the Orthrus is that you don't need a whole fleet of em to gently caress up entosis ceptors, you only need one and links. It's like the sov janitor, sweeping away all the trash
As mentioned, it's really not the best ship for that. Its tackling bonus isn't useful until you're in scram range, since the interceptors tackle themselves, and it's not really fast enough to run down even a 4km/s interceptor without MG snakes and/or links. If you have links or snakes, you may as well use a 4-speedmod Rapier or Huginn that can put webs on them from 80-100km instead of burning out your MWD trying to get within scram range at 1.5km/s relative velocity.

Zephyrine posted:

Aren't troll interceptors limited to 25 km range? Why can't you just sit on the undock with a Cerberus and kill every frigate that dares to go within a hundred kilometres of the station?
I assume the problem is less stations in occupied systems and more TCUs/IHUBs in unoccupied systems.

A max-skill Cerb still might be a good low-effort counter to a 4km/s-limited solo entoceptor, but it would still be dicey without links or Snakes. This is the best I can come up with:

Against a 4km/s minimum-sig / maximum tank Stiletto:

(This might be massaged to fit a bulkhead if they remove the mass penalty from the Entosis Link, but it'll still max out at about 9k EHP)

This Cerb fitting applies 407dps to the Stiletto with Standard Crash and kills in 10 volleys @ 21 seconds, which if I'm doing the math right, gives the interceptor about 15 seconds of burning away from the structure starting at 25km (about 80km range) before you land. If he gets more than 80km from your landing point, your last volleys won't make contact. You might be able to change the script in the two precision MGCs to range for your last 2-3 volleys and buy an extra 2-3 seconds / 10km, but that's making this setup a bit skill/experience-intensive and defeating the purpose of a low-effort gently caress-you to solo interceptors.

I'm not going to do warp-speed acceleration math; assuming the interceptor is paying attention and starts burning away within 3-4 seconds of your appearance in local, is 18-20s enough time to warp to most structures and start burning/firing?

A more fool-proof low-skill/effort anti-entoceptor setup would probably be something like a 500mn Rapier:

Barring a really lucky entosis cycle timer, nothing will get away from this. The Huginn version goes 9.25km/s but needs to get closer to apply damage.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

hey I'm taking names for my new method of ganking (if ccp approves it)

so far the current winner is superhyperdunking

dodecadunking

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Enemu posted:

He referred to his "toons" posting in the holesquad thread :smithicide:

RhoA posted:

To be fair En'emu, he did fix the problem.

edit: But, yeah, he's off to a bad start. :v:

Well, I mean. He's not my brother or the baby jesus, just a rookie who I helped instead of griefing. He was accepted out of Karmafleet. Nobody is innocent here.

Apoloc
Mar 25, 2014
One day I might be man enough for hole squad.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Holy poo poo someone unironically used toons, the pubbies have finally broken down the gates.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

CashEnsign posted:

Holy poo poo someone unironically used toons, the pubbies have finally broken down the gates.

The hell are you talking about 'finally'

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Delta Echo posted:

Well, I mean. He's not my brother or the baby jesus, just a rookie who I helped instead of griefing. He was accepted out of Karmafleet. Nobody is innocent here.

There's no vouching system or three month wait period for KF members anymore, so the fact that he was accepted out of KF doesn't really mean much.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

RhoA posted:

There's no vouching system or three month wait period for KF members anymore, so the fact that he was accepted out of KF doesn't really mean much.

That's my point.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Globby call your new technique "pegging."

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Globby call your new technique "pegging."

:agreed:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

There are parts of it that are dead or 5+ years out of date. I'm quite a bit sad to find that the wiki has fallen to the wayside in recent years as it used to be a phenomenal tool to learn little nuggets of information about the game that you would otherwise. For me learning about this game starting out took two forms: Flying frigates into RA dreads and clicking the random button on the wiki for hours on end. Sure much of the information was totally useless but it also helped me learn the names of ships, size, classes so on. There's a reason that the Goonfleet wiki was frequently mirrored and considered to be the best source of information on the game, even over CCPs own sources.

The wiki used to be amazing and I think it could be again with the right leadership. Eventually this game will be relegated to the history books, perhaps sooner than we'd like (or not soon enough v0v) but until then we all have stories that the outside world likes to read about. Both the larger narrative and the individual stories. Reading about the Great Wars is always fun but I'd also like to see first hand accounts from people who were at B-R. I want to know how you lost your titan. At the end of the day those things may not matter, but the do provide the little details that makes reading about EVE so much more fun than other MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

oh poo poo that is courthouse? lmbo

I had an actual post ready to go to call Dat wall o text stupid but instead I'm gonna go with "lmbo"

• Locked thread