Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Rictus was hard to understand. What I heard:

"Behold, the history woman! (Something something she stole my dad's property, were gonna torture her for every hour it takes to get them back...) AND NOW, my dear old dad is going round and round like a grizzly bear!"

Immortan Joe: "FIND THEM! turn over every grain of sand!

I actually really liked this scene and it wouldve fit into the movie much better compared to the other deleted scenes which were redundant . People Eater's :rolleyes: was pretty funny; the fat bastard really didn't want to be there.

He had a nice limo Rig too. Just chilling in the back of his whip upholstered with virgin pubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Panfilo posted:

Rictus was hard to understand. What I heard:

"Behold, the history woman! (Something something she stole my dad's property, were gonna torture her for every hour it takes to get them back...) AND NOW, my dear old dad is going round and round like a grizzly bear!"

Immortan Joe: "FIND THEM! turn over every grain of sand!

I actually really liked this scene and it wouldve fit into the movie much better compared to the other deleted scenes which were redundant . People Eater's :rolleyes: was pretty funny; the fat bastard really didn't want to be there.

He had a nice limo Rig too. Just chilling in the back of his whip upholstered with virgin pubes.

I can't watch it now as it's down to a copyright violation, but I'm pretty sure Rictus said "we put her through the torture for hour upon hour, and she still won't tell us" or something.

The People Eater's reaction was priceless, and I wish I had seen it in the film. However, the whole scene was a bit campy/hammy. The "There's a new world coming" line from the History Woman was particularly bad in that regard. Also, it doesn't really tell us anything other than "what happened to the History Woman?". We already knew Immortan Joe really, really wants to find the Wives, and Rictus is a big brute (although he could have gotten slightly more screen time in the film as released). Other than that it doesn't really add anything aside from People Eater's two seconds of glory. And even then, at this point we already know he think's Joe is full of poo poo. I can see why they left it out.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 19, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The deleted bit also clarified the names of each gang members. Immortan Joe's men are 'Warboys' obviously,

People Eater's men are 'Gastown Boys' which was only mentioned one other time in the film by one of the wives.

And Bullet Farmer's men are 'Bullet Boys' as spoken by the Imperator in the deleted scene.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Based on the deleted scene and a few other parts, it looks like Joe keeps a tight leash on his fellow warlords. The People Eater and Bullet Farmer are each accompanied by an Imperator (I think one of them was the one yelling at Bullet Farmer not to hit the wives while he was shooting his pistols into the dark).

Also, I can't help but feel like the People Eater and Bullet Farmer were better at what they do given the situation. Joe loses his wives, shits a brick and pulls all the goalies to get them. The People Eater correctly surmises the whole venture is a huge waste of resources. He also really really doesn't want to be there which I don't blame the fat guy since he doesn't really do much aside from grouse about how much this is costing everybody and also maybe gets credit for running down Valkyre and her driver. Bullet Farmer was much more focused in his task of stopping the Rig and didn't care about the wives at all. This might seem kind of counterproductive, but obviously he didn't share the same Achilles heel Joe did that caused everybody to get held up in the canyon.

Also keep in mind during the latter parts of the chase, it is mostly the Gastown and Bullet Farm vehicles being used the most effectively. The polecats and plowtrucks respectively did a much better job of slowing down the Rig than the warboys did.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Based on the deleted scene and a few other parts, it looks like Joe keeps a tight leash on his fellow warlords. The People Eater and Bullet Farmer are each accompanied by an Imperator (I think one of them was the one yelling at Bullet Farmer not to hit the wives while he was shooting his pistols into the dark).

Also, I can't help but feel like the People Eater and Bullet Farmer were better at what they do given the situation. Joe loses his wives, shits a brick and pulls all the goalies to get them. The People Eater correctly surmises the whole venture is a huge waste of resources. He also really really doesn't want to be there which I don't blame the fat guy since he doesn't really do much aside from grouse about how much this is costing everybody and also maybe gets credit for running down Valkyre and her driver. Bullet Farmer was much more focused in his task of stopping the Rig and didn't care about the wives at all. This might seem kind of counterproductive, but obviously he didn't share the same Achilles heel Joe did that caused everybody to get held up in the canyon.

Also keep in mind during the latter parts of the chase, it is mostly the Gastown and Bullet Farm vehicles being used the most effectively. The polecats and plowtrucks respectively did a much better job of slowing down the Rig than the warboys did.

The Bullet Farmer mentions shortly before he drives off to chase the War Rig that he's antsy to get his torture boner on. He's likely a violence-loving sadist who came in for the chance to hurt people and let his guns sing. Even then, he still found it a pointless family squabble.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH
Went over it a few times but here's Rictus' lines,

"The history woman! Take a look at the history woman! Hour by hour, we have put her through the torture and she won't say where they've gone. So now, my poor old dad has to go round and round the garden, like a grizzly bear."

I like the idea of Rictus invoking a nursery rhyme, it sits well with him.

Angharad's contorted hand was also a great little visual that could have been in the caesarean scene, but yeah, it's not like much was missed, just making the implicit explicit.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Don't think I saw this posted here but some folks did a Mad Max GoKart Paintball War to celebrate the release of the game. Actually pretty amusing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Transmogrifier posted:

Don't think I saw this posted here but some folks did a Mad Max GoKart Paintball War to celebrate the release of the game. Actually pretty amusing.

That is ridiculous. And :perfect:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Transmogrifier posted:

Devin Graham is my idol as a videographer. If you look at his channel, his entire career is basically doing epic poo poo like this. He's also the guy who made the world's biggest rope swing in a canyon in I think Utah, and then a giant rope swing tethered between hot air balloons. He also does a ton of videos as advertising for video games (he's the go-to guy for Ubisoft) and is heavily sponsored by sports gear companies.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Transmogrifier posted:

This is excellent in most aspects.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Twanki posted:

Went over it a few times but here's Rictus' lines,

"The history woman! Take a look at the history woman! Hour by hour, we have put her through the torture and she won't say where they've gone. So now, my poor old dad has to go round and round the garden, like a grizzly bear."

I like the idea of Rictus invoking a nursery rhyme, it sits well with him.

Angharad's contorted hand was also a great little visual that could have been in the caesarean scene, but yeah, it's not like much was missed, just making the implicit explicit.

What about the lift guard that looks over the baby? Sounds like he says, "Too many lumps! Nahhh..." and throws the baby back to the woman. Might be connected to a part of Max's tattoos- "No Lumps, no Bumps". Lumps in this case could very well mean tumors.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Panfilo posted:

What about the lift guard that looks over the baby? Sounds like he says, "Too many lumps! Nahhh..." and throws the baby back to the woman. Might be connected to a part of Max's tattoos- "No Lumps, no Bumps". Lumps in this case could very well mean tumors.

quote:

WOMAN: My baby, my baby he's a boy! He's a boy, make him a Warboy, a fine Warboy!

LIFT GUARD: He's gotta lump, this won't last a year.

WOMAN: No, he's strong, he has a warrior's heart!

LIFT GUARD: Nahhh (throws baby back.)

WOMAN: Then take me, I'm a milker.

LIFT GUARD: Yes you are little mother, come up!

BTW Edit: I went over Miss Giddy in the last scene, there's a bit where she's speaking offscreen but it sounds like it's just a repeat of what she says on camera, like it's literally the same recording of the line.

"There's a new world comin', she's already on her way."

That seemed kind of odd, like maybe that scene never got a full decision on how it was to be edited?

67 and still making love fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 19, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Was the lady that was in the deleted scene the same woman that got brought up in the lift in the final cut? I know a woman (thought a girl, but who knows) was seen being brought up on the lift.

Also, I LOLed at all the various 'offerings' the wreched were trying to present. One of them had a soccer ball;

"Is a good ball, yah! Immortan Joe, he's gonna want to play footy right? Take me, I'm a footballer!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
While I really liked the deleted scene of Immortan Joe rallying his Warboys to go search for the War Rig, I'm glad they didn't include too much of it in the trailer. Miss Giddy's quote could've made this movie a lot more cheesy in the trailers:

*IN A WORLD OF CRUELTY AND PAIN*
"Out here, everything hurts"
*ONE MAN RISES TO THE CHALLENGE*
"What's your name?* *My name is Max*
*OF FACING A DICTATOR THAT WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO GET WHAT HE CLAIMS IS HIS*
"Turn over every grain of sand! I want them back!"
*TO FIND THEIR PARADISE IN THE GREAT UNKNOWN*
"We're going to the Green place!"/""There's a new world comin', she's already on her way."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Was the lady that was in the deleted scene the same woman that got brought up in the lift in the final cut? I know a woman (thought a girl, but who knows) was seen being brought up on the lift.

Also, I LOLed at all the various 'offerings' the wreched were trying to present. One of them had a soccer ball;

"Is a good ball, yah! Immortan Joe, he's gonna want to play footy right? Take me, I'm a footballer!"

Yeah, I think that's her. They seem to have chosen to cut out the actual choosing of her and let the audience infer as to what's going on instead of blatantly saying it.

In general, it looks like that scene and the one of Joe getting everyone rallied for the chase was a matter of tightening up the film and removing some exposition that wasn't mandatory. Miller has a really huge focus on "show, don't tell" with this.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH
I'd say that the first scene would have segued to Joe singing to himself with his scepter, just before the Rig is spotted heading back..
Someone noticed that the geography is pretty much the same as that of the Powder Flats where Max is captured, which would tie into the sort of legendary idea of Furiosa filling up the gaps in Max's own story with her own experiences, Valley of Death-style.

For the second; Between the lift being ordered up and the levers pulled would come the scene with the Little Mother, then the chains working and Her in silhouette with everyone else being kicked off.
But then, between the uncut shot of the mother milkers, Ace's manifest-chant and Max washing his face, does that concept really need more spelling out?

Last one; I'll need a few minutes.

67 and still making love fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 19, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Panfilo posted:

While I really liked the deleted scene of Immortan Joe rallying his Warboys to go search for the War Rig, I'm glad they didn't include too much of it in the trailer. Miss Giddy's quote could've made this movie a lot more cheesy in the trailers:

*IN A WORLD OF CRUELTY AND PAIN*
"Out here, everything hurts"
*ONE MAN RISES TO THE CHALLENGE*
"What's your name?* *My name is Max*
*OF FACING A DICTATOR THAT WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO GET WHAT HE CLAIMS IS HIS*
"Turn over every grain of sand! I want them back!"
*TO FIND THEIR PARADISE IN THE GREAT UNKNOWN*
"We're going to the Green place!"/""There's a new world comin', she's already on her way."

Didn't Miller edit the trailers himself?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Twanki posted:

I'd say that the first scene would have segued to Joe singing to himself with his scepter, just before the Rig is spotted heading back..

Yeah, that's most likely. I think the third scene with him rallying the troops was the morning after the Bullet Farmer is killed, before they all move on to the mountains where they spot the War Rig.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't Miller edit the trailers himself?

I don't believe so. I can't find it, but I remember reading an interview where he talked about seeing the trailers they'd come up with and saying he was worried about the film living up to them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did anyone catch what was written on the chalkboard in the wives' chambers?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Panfilo posted:

Did anyone catch what was written on the chalkboard in the wives' chambers?

It's a diagram of something, but I have no idea what. I almost think it's a plug wire/firing order diagram for a V8. So I'm gonna go with "lessons".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By the way, here's the behind-the-scenes video for that paintball vid. As someone who has actually worked on many projects like this, it's a great look into the complexities of doing even this small scale of a production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfREJ0ZTu2Q

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is there a region 2 release of this disc out there somewhere, with 3D + 2D + DVD? I can't find it on the english Amazon.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Panfilo posted:

I've seen the lumps/tumors thing come up a couple of times in the thread. I'm personally pretty sure that the Warboy's illness/'half life' definition is just plain old advanced leukemia. Leukemia is caused by continued exposure to radiation, can sometimes take years to fully develop, and causes swollen/tumerous lymph nodes. I'll attach some pictures to the bottom to show what I mean, but know that these lymph node abnormalities can even cause swelling inside the throat, leading to difficulty breathing (Nux talking about his mates 'chewing on his windpipe'). Untreated leukemia eventually leads to myeloma, a type of blood cancer that attacks bone marrow. This leads to anemia and bone tumors, and can be primitively treated by blood transfusions, though apparently that'll only prolong your life by about 4-5 years with regular good blood injections.

Here's an example of hosed up lymph nodes, like what Nux (probably) has:

And here's some advanced leukemia stuff (like what Ace seems to have), these are gonna be linked cause they are a bit horrifying if you're at work or have a weak stomach for medical stuff
:nms:
http://i.imgur.com/5Bxvzjh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JseAfYh.jpg

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I've seen the lumps/tumors thing come up a couple of times in the thread. I'm personally pretty sure that the Warboy's illness/'half life' definition is just plain old advanced leukemia. Leukemia is caused by continued exposure to radiation, can sometimes take years to fully develop, and causes swollen/tumerous lymph nodes. I'll attach some pictures to the bottom to show what I mean, but know that these lymph node abnormalities can even cause swelling inside the throat, leading to difficulty breathing (Nux talking about his mates 'chewing on his windpipe'). Untreated leukemia eventually leads to myeloma, a type of blood cancer that attacks bone marrow. This leads to anemia and bone tumors, and can be primitively treated by blood transfusions, though apparently that'll only prolong your life by about 4-5 years with regular good blood injections.

That makes a whole lot of sense. Leukemia caused by radiation poisoning would probably be well known by Miller, given that he went to medical school to become a doctor before he went into filmmaking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Young Freud posted:

That makes a whole lot of sense. Leukemia caused by radiation poisoning would probably be well known by Miller, given that he went to medical school to become a doctor before he went into filmmaking.

That's one unique thing about the Mad Max films. The injuries we see are often quite realistic and seemingly based on Miller's own experience. Most films would have Morsov gushing blood from his crossbow bolts, when in reality the bolts are plugging the wounds and likely not piercing any major blood vessels. The bullet wounds the People Eater suffered are not unlike the ones from a real 9mm pistol as well and didn't go the Hollywood route of spraying blood and brains everywhere.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What about the polecat guy? :gibs:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well he got shot with a grenade.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
People Eater's messed up feet is also an IRL condition called podoconiosis, and it's usually caused by prolonged exposure to irritant soil.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That is ridiculous. And :perfect:

You ain't kidding, that looks like an amazing amount of fun...that loving tiny "Interceptor" kart though :lol:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fspades posted:

People Eater's messed up feet is also an IRL condition called podoconiosis, and it's usually caused by prolonged exposure to irritant soil.

Huh, I assumed it was elephantiasis and caused by him symbolically being an inhuman monster. Also, syphillis can make your nose rot away, and we know he's some kind of sexual deviant.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chamale posted:

Huh, I assumed it was elephantiasis and caused by him symbolically being an inhuman monster. Also, syphillis can make your nose rot away, and we know he's some kind of sexual deviant.

Podoconiosis is a type of elephantiasis. :eng101:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought it was gout, probably from eating a decadent and expensive diet.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Nessus posted:

I thought it was gout, probably from eating a decadent and expensive diet.

I dunno, I'm not sure people were all that expensive.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

VideoTapir posted:

I dunno, I'm not sure people were all that expensive.

Generally, no, but I'm betting he went for the top shelf stuff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, heads-up for Aussie and Kiwi goons browsing this thread:

There's a Mad Max Anthology box set being released - all 4 films, plus a 5th disc of features.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/action/mad-max-anthology/765810/

https://shop.jbhifi.co.nz/dvd/dvd-genres/action-adventure/mad-max-anthology-blu-ray/91843

Kiwi goons can get it with free shipping on Mighty Ape.

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Mad-Max-Anthology-Box-Set-Blu-ray/23044637

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Chamale posted:

His medical conditions are no doubt the product of having a subpar harem of Beta wives that even Immortan wouldn't touch. Pretty sure he's into hair as well.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

That's one unique thing about the Mad Max films. The injuries we see are often quite realistic and seemingly based on Miller's own experience. Most films would have Morsov gushing blood from his crossbow bolts, when in reality the bolts are plugging the wounds and likely not piercing any major blood vessels. The bullet wounds the People Eater suffered are not unlike the ones from a real 9mm pistol as well and didn't go the Hollywood route of spraying blood and brains everywhere.

This is an excellent and new-to-me fact!

But, given that, and while I love the scene--wondering how he squares this with the serious "that's not how blood transfusions work" of the climax?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

onefish posted:

This is an excellent and new-to-me fact!

But, given that, and while I love the scene--wondering how he squares this with the serious "that's not how blood transfusions work" of the climax?

Probably just creative license. It's a real master to know when not get too bogged down minutia.

We'll probably find out whenever the commentary gets released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Young Freud posted:

Probably just creative license. It's a real master to know when not get too bogged down minutia.

Didn't 28 Days Later's entire second act get rewritten because there was a blood transfusion plothole they couldn't let stand?

• Locked thread