Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

QwertySanchez posted:

Picking up one enemy, and throwing them at another enemy to kill 'em! Also old school video game style powerups could be fun. An FPS with some sort of mixing gimmick ala Magicka, or more simply like gunstar heroes would be pretty awesome.

I'd love to play a FPS game inspired by Mischief Makers.

Not quite the same but in Fractal Doom you can break chunks off yourself that turn into miniature Doomguys who can use the tiny weapons and ammo dropped by tiny monsters :3:. I feel like it's the one whacky gameplay mod that doesn't get enough love.

E: a light world/dark world mechanic like Link to the Past or Guacamelee would be pretty neat. I know Cyriak played with it in a few maps of Going Down.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Didn't Brutal Doom have the throwable enemies feature at one point? I distinctly remember taking an imp hostage and immediately hurling it at a cacodemon with enough force so that both of them exploded on impact.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

Didn't Brutal Doom have the throwable enemies feature at one point? I distinctly remember taking an imp hostage and immediately hurling it at a cacodemon with enough force so that both of them exploded on impact.

I believe to pick up a wounded enemy you need to already have picked up the berserk pack.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

laserghost posted:

no one wants new Duke game
There are people who want a new Duke game, I want one. I have no doubt a new Duke game will find an audience. Even the nichest shooters like Shadow Warrior and Rise of The Triad have recent games people talk about. And this is Duke Dukem. Always bet on Duke.

This is a topic where people play almost any FPS they can get their hands on, you think people aren't interested in a new Duke game. C'mon now.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll take an actual Duke Nukem game anyday.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kazvall posted:

I'll take an actual Duke Nukem game anyday.
The pinball minigame in DNF alone is better than the original Duke Nukem. And I liked it at the time, you pick up soda, you blast little aliens with a pew pew gun thingy, it was fun.

Another note on how I keep seeing people saying "DO we really need a new Duke Nukem game?". It's an FPS franchise with two games in the past 19 years. They're not exactly oversaturating the market. If it's not something somebody is personally interested in, okay. But we have about fifty Wolfenstein games so far and nobody is saying "Enough is enough! I've had it with all these nazi fighting Wolfensteins on this Monday to Friday plane".

Random note, let's give it up for Allen Blum. It is pretty fun that he worked on every Duke Nukem game since the first sidecroller, and he was even the lead level designer on DNF. And he kept it going after 3DR shut it's doors. That guy pretty much is Duke Nukem, well him and Jon St. John.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 19, 2015

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Does anyone care for the Duke persona anymore? If Duke does come back, he'd probably go through a re-imagining like Lo Wang did.

I can't help but feel there would be a dumb Internet sect arguing if it doesn't have constant '80s action movie throwback lines, it'll be poo poo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've been playing through Map Jam 2, I really like all the maps except for the first and the last. In the last map I got the nail gun, returned to the first area and there were like 8 spawn bouncing around a huge courtyard. No thanks!

Scampie and Skackie's maps were the best. The latter is the most amazing Quake level I've ever played.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Commander Keenan posted:

Does anyone care for the Duke persona anymore?
You personally not caring for something does not mean nobody else does. I can't even imagine how you'd think that. Even if it was a pretty average game it would probably sell a million copies, minimum.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Commander Keenan posted:

Does anyone care for the Duke persona anymore? If Duke does come back, he'd probably go through a re-imagining like Lo Wang did.

I can't help but feel there would be a dumb Internet sect arguing if it doesn't have constant '80s action movie throwback lines, it'll be poo poo.

That's kind of what Duke is though. He's a silly parody/homage to '80s action movies. Without the '80s references and dumb one-liners, Duke is nothing but a camera, an arm, and a gun.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
They should make a game about Duke Nukem from Captain Planet

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Even acknowledging that he was a horribly racist caricature that likely wouldn't fly in 2013, I kinda liked old Lo Wang more than new Lo Wang.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Woolie Wool posted:

That's kind of what Duke is though. He's a silly parody/homage to '80s action movies. Without the '80s references and dumb one-liners, Duke is nothing but a camera, an arm, and a gun.

Heavy Metal posted:

You personally not caring for something does not mean nobody else does. I can't even imagine how you'd think that. Even if it was a pretty average game it would probably sell a million copies, minimum.

I guess when I think of Duke I think of interesting level design instead of his one-liners.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Law posted:

Another Quake map jam, this time on the "Fire and Brimstone" theme. Lots of entries from both new and old mappers:

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61228

As usual for a "jam" these maps are made very quickly. Might not be perfectly polished or balanced. On the upside you get some cool experiments, and new people joining in.

Pay close attention to the QuakeSpasm recommendation! DarkPlaces _might_ work, not sure (and I don't think that's been tested). Several other Quake engines are known NOT to work with this pack.

There's a bunch of other images on this twitter stream if you need more convincing: https://twitter.com/tdDaz ... but you might rather see the various places first-hand in-game.

Sounds awesome, that image kinda sucks though. Each strip is JUST small enough to tease what the textures are like without letting you really see any of the level geometry :rolleyes:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Commander Keenan posted:

Does anyone care for the Duke persona anymore?

I. I just... What the gently caress? How can you even ask this question? loving disgusting.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

Even acknowledging that he was a horribly racist caricature that likely wouldn't fly in 2013, I kinda liked old Lo Wang more than new Lo Wang.

Lo Wang soap u up good!

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Mogomra posted:

I. I just... What the gently caress? How can you even ask this question? loving disgusting.

Engaging discussion! He's cool—Duke3D is in my top 10 games. There's no doubt that Gearbox would be the devs to maintain his personality.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Minidust posted:

This is going several pages back, but what was that front end for downloading/launching Doom mods? I'm trying to decide if I should go with something like that, or just make a bunch of custom library entries in Steam. Really wanna get Reelism and that Contra mod going.
ZDL is another nice lightweight Doom launcher. That ZDL 3.2.2.2 is the launcher I usually use.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

Lo Wang soap u up good!

You want to wash Wang? Or you want to watch Wang wash wang?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The Duke persona needs a little bit of touchup work to connect nicely with the modern world but is fundamentally functional. Especially if you remember things like that he watches Oprah and that his reaction to a dominant woman (dressed as him, hilariously) was strongly positive. Dude just likes sex and booze and action, he's actually not a jerk.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I still quote the Duke and I still haven't grown up. Blow it out your rear end. drat I look good. I'm gonna rip off your head and poo poo down your neck.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

Another Quake map jam, this time on the "Fire and Brimstone" theme. Lots of entries from both new and old mappers:

Looks like there was a problem with inventory not being reset on returning to the start map. The main download has been fixed; or, if you already have it and don't want to re-download, there's a patch at http://www.quaketastic.com/files/single_player/jam6_patch1.zip

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Sorry for the elementary question, but... how do I run a Doom mod like Reelism? I've got a pk7 file but I'm not sure what to do with it. GZDoom detects the Doom games that I have on Steam, but I don't know how to make it see Reelism. I extracted 3 wads with 7zip but I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to run, or if I'm supposed to use them all somehow.

Heavy Metal posted:

ZDL is another nice lightweight Doom launcher. That ZDL 3.2.2.2 is the launcher I usually use.
Thanks for this btw! Seems like it might be easier to use than Doom Launcher. I have it pointed at GZDoom and running the official games just fine; just not sure how to add/play mods.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Minidust posted:

Sorry for the elementary question, but... how do I run a Doom mod like Reelism? I've got a pk7 file but I'm not sure what to do with it. GZDoom detects the Doom games that I have on Steam, but I don't know how to make it see Reelism. I extracted 3 wads with 7zip but I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to run, or if I'm supposed to use them all somehow.
Thanks for this btw! Seems like it might be easier to use than Doom Launcher. I have it pointed at GZDoom and running the official games just fine; just not sure how to add/play mods.

Just use the .pk7 file like you would a .wad file.

Edit: .pk3 files are also used the same way, for the record. .pk3 files are just renamed .zip files and .pk7 files are .7z files, I believe, so on occasion you might get a .zip file or something that you might be able to use like a .pk3 file (or just rename it, it's all good).

catlord fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 20, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

.pk7 files are terrible and will remain terrible until Slade 3 fully supports them.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

catlord posted:

Just use the .pk7 file like you would a .wad file.

Edit: .pk3 files are also used the same way, for the record. .pk3 files are just renamed .zip files and .pk7 files are .7z files, I believe, so on occasion you might get a .zip file or something that you might be able to use like a .pk3 file (or just rename it, it's all good).
I try that but GZDoom just asks me which retail game I want to play:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Launch it with Doom 2?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Minidust posted:

I try that but GZDoom just asks me which retail game I want to play:

Reelism is a PWAD (patch WAD), which means that's expecting data from an IWAD (internal WAD) to complete it. Reelism expects Doom 2, so open it with Doom 2.

Generally Doom PWADs expect DOOM2.WAD for an IWAD, but there are some exceptions like Doom The Wad id Did. If a PWAD wants a wad other than Doom 2 the authors will let you know.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 20, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Segmentation Fault posted:

Reelism is a PWAD (patch WAD), which means that's expecting data from an IWAD (internal WAD) to complete it. Reelism expects Doom 2, so open it with Doom 2.
When I select Doom 2 from that list, it just launches regular Doom 2. Is there some command line thing I'm supposed to do?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Minidust posted:

When I select Doom 2 from that list, it just launches regular Doom 2. Is there some command line thing I'm supposed to do?

I see you're opening Reelism as a .zip. Have you tried unzipping it?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Aha! By adding that first pk7 as an "External File" in ZDL, and then running Doom II, it worked:

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Segmentation Fault posted:

I see you're opening Reelism as a .zip. Have you tried unzipping it?
Yeah the first thing I did was to unzip, which gave me 3 separate wad files. Wasn't sure what to do with those. But I guess it's moot now! Thanks.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Johnny Law posted:

As usual for a "jam" these maps are made very quickly. Might not be perfectly polished or balanced. On the upside you get some cool experiments, and new people joining in.

Pay close attention to the QuakeSpasm recommendation! DarkPlaces _might_ work, not sure (and I don't think that's been tested). Several other Quake engines are known NOT to work with this pack.

There's a bunch of other images on this twitter stream if you need more convincing: https://twitter.com/tdDaz ... but you might rather see the various places first-hand in-game.

How am I supposed to beat Adib's map Signati? There just seems to be a dead end at the green armor platform.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heavy Metal posted:

Another note on how I keep seeing people saying "DO we really need a new Duke Nukem game?". It's an FPS franchise with two games in the past 19 years. They're not exactly oversaturating the market. If it's not something somebody is personally interested in, okay. But we have about fifty Wolfenstein games so far and nobody is saying "Enough is enough! I've had it with all these nazi fighting Wolfensteins on this Monday to Friday plane"..

I guess the difference is that every Wolfenstein game is good, and Duke has maybe two good games total if you allow fractions.

Also, there is absolutely nothing interesting about Duke's universe aside from Duke himself, whereas Wolfenstein evolved into a pretty interesting take on the really tedious WW2 shooter genre.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I guess the difference is that every Wolfenstein game is good, and Duke has maybe two good games total if you allow fractions.

Also, there is absolutely nothing interesting about Duke's universe aside from Duke himself, whereas Wolfenstein evolved into a pretty interesting take on the really tedious WW2 shooter genre.

I'd love a reboot of Duke that makes him out to be more of a Johnny Bravo type where his machismo and womanizing backfires instead of having it played straight. Terminus made a point that Duke is actually a giant dork if you think about it and I'd love to see that get explored.

A hero who's so vain that he collects his own memorabilia and only dies from having a terminally damaged ego is hilarious in and of itself and I'd like to see Gearbox use that for laughs instead of endless pop culture references. Now that Anthony Burch is out of the picture that might actually happen.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RyokoTK posted:

The beauty of individuality. We're both fans of early FPS games and whatnot, but we like different stuff. I really like DNF (and I Duke3D 24/7), while I don't like at least two out of the four major Wolfensteins personally. Haven't tried the latest game, though I hear people dig it. I didn't bring up the Wolf series to insult Wolf, just picked an example of another 90s FPS game that happens to have more games than Duke.

The Duke Nukem series doesn't capture your imagination, that's cool, but what's your point really? Just saying, my point was you never see somebody say "No more Wolfensteins!", even if they don't happen to be interested in Wolfensteins. But people who aren't into Duke will let you hear about it. Poor guy, he just wants some R&R on a curvaceous beach.

Minidust posted:

Aha! By adding that first pk7 as an "External File" in ZDL, and then running Doom II, it worked:
Here's my load up lately. Playing Suspended in Dusk for example (sid.wad), with Smooth Doom, the nicer sounds pack, and the metal music pack. I highly recommend those thingies, Smooth Doom is especially cool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 20, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pretty sure this wasn't supposed to happen:

Z axis fighting where geometry appears and disappears depending on where you stand in this scene.
Or this:

Fell through a hole in the floor into an HOM pit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've played a ton of Doom mods and map packs but never any for Quake. I should fix this.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I've played a ton of Doom mods and map packs but never any for Quake. I should fix this.

mapjam2 is good and architecturally unique. Play it. You may want to skip Cocerello's map.

Unfortunately mapjam 1 has a really ugly texture theme:

This is it. This is peak brown.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 20, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
if we're talking about Build Engine games getting Modern reboots/sequels, I'd rather see something new for Redneck Rampage than Duke(even if Duke is the better game), especially since RR's cartoony aesthetic could look amazing rendered in a modern engine(come to think of it, who even owns the RR franchise these days?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

You should! Quake Injector is great, and there's some utterly crazy stuff out there.

drrockso20 posted:

if we're talking about Build Engine games getting Modern reboots/sequels, I'd rather see something new for Redneck Rampage than Duke(even if Duke is the better game), especially since RR's cartoony aesthetic could look amazing rendered in a modern engine(come to think of it, who even owns the RR franchise these days?)
I'm pretty sure whatever creepy pod creature wears Interplay's skin owns RR nowadays.