Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Douk Douk posted:

Dark Souls speedruns are the most luck-based runs I've ever seen. It's all based on whether or not an enemy does a certain attack at a certain time, or if something drops in particular, etc. Dark Souls is a good game, but a terrible speedrunning game.

It's a RPG afterall. It's luck based but fast inventory management, knowing all the routes (most runners do a bunch of different categories) and a good amount of skill too makes for interesting runs. But the best game for speedruns is Battleblock Theater :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guillermus posted:

It's a RPG afterall. It's luck based but fast inventory management, knowing all the routes (most runners do a bunch of different categories) and a good amount of skill too makes for interesting runs. But the best game for speedruns is Battleblock Theater :frogbon:

See, I don't think I really got what was so incredible about Battleblock Theatre, but then again, I didn't play it with local multiplayer.

If you have PM's, I'd love to hear your take on what you love about it; I don't want to start a whole platformer discussion in the Early FPS thread. But I'm genuinely interested, because I want to love it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Douk Douk posted:

Dark Souls speedruns are the most luck-based runs I've ever seen. It's all based on whether or not an enemy does a certain attack at a certain time, or if something drops in particular, etc. Dark Souls is a good game, but a terrible speedrunning game.

I don't think I've ever seen RTCW speedran before. Mostly because it flew under the radar in the first place, I suppose. I feel like people just categorized it as yet another WW2 shooter at the time. Sucks for them, they missed out on miniguns and ubersoldiers.

Dark Souls speedruns can be cool when a person is really really good and is managing to talk casually while blowing through the game, and its also cool because there's lots of possible sequence breaks, the games aren't very linear or restrictive in that way.

But yeah, hoping that you get a dark knight halberd on a certain kill and going so far as to re-do the run if you don't.... that's hosed up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Dark Souls speedruns can be cool when a person is really really good and is managing to talk casually while blowing through the game, and its also cool because there's lots of possible sequence breaks, the games aren't very linear or restrictive in that way.

But yeah, hoping that you get a dark knight halberd on a certain kill and going so far as to re-do the run if you don't.... that's hosed up.

Which is why you don't do that unless you're trying to break the record. The speedruns during poo poo like AGDQ tend to be the more sane ones that use the stuff the game guarantees you. Glitched Dks2 speedruns are some of the more entertaining speedruns I've watched as well.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Does anyone know the location of a set of weapon models made for QuakeWorld Team Fortress that had a more modern/high tech theme than the Quake weapons? Like the nailgun still had the two barrels but it was sleek and black and shiny and had a grip sticking out of the side. They might have been just made for Quake but I remember finding them many years ago on a Team Fortress site.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

drat, I'm kind of stumped then. The game's telling me it detects a CD drive and music tracks in the loading console, but nothing plays. Hell, if I keep the CD player application open in Windows before I start the game it'll play and switch to a random track. It'll load the videos just fine off the CD, too.

Got it working. I tried Quake and was getting the same issue, so I ruled out Blood in particular behaving badly. Turns out that having two disc drives was causing the problems so I unplugged one and now everything works fine. I didn't have the topmost drive plugged into the CD In jack on the sound card, so I could've just switched the audio cable between the two if it had been long enough.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 19, 2015

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Hey guys look at my 3DS homebrew, it's not finished yet (all it does is run the demo loop and pressing anything quits instantly)

Eventually the game will be on the top screen (in 3D?????????????????) and probably automap/statusbar on the bottom screen with some nice touchscreen-to-aim controls assuming I feel like working on this for more than a single day

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

daft punk railroad posted:

Hey guys look at my 3DS homebrew, it's not finished yet (all it does is run the demo loop and pressing anything quits instantly)

Eventually the game will be on the top screen (in 3D?????????????????) and probably automap/statusbar on the bottom screen with some nice touchscreen-to-aim controls assuming I feel like working on this for more than a single day
Awesome stuff! I got linked to a similar project a while back, prBoom3DS. Might be useful? I know he got the game onto the top screen...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nintendo 3DS? It runs Doom!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so what's a gimmick from a non-FPS game that you'd want to see used in a FPS context?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

drrockso20 posted:

so what's a gimmick from a non-FPS game that you'd want to see used in a FPS context?

Platforming! :sun:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Squid transformations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

drrockso20 posted:

I think the better question is, "What FPS features would you like to see in a non-FPS context?" And the answer to that question is "a gun". Nearly every problem in a non-FPS game can be resolved with a gun. Seriously. Mario wouldn't have to go to elaborate lengths to defeat Bowser. There'd be no need for memorizing complicated combos in Street Fighter. I'm sure a gun would even help in Myst's lovely nightmare world. The list goes on.

But to answer your question, more base-building bullshit, I suppose.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh and those "rapidly-tap X button" to do something, like wriggle free of some ropes or perform a perfect squat.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

daft punk railroad posted:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You had to time the button presses to do squats :colbert:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm sure a gun would even help in Myst's lovely nightmare world.

Not as much as you'd think. A couple cases where you might be able to shoot a door open, and I guess it'd make dealing with Gehn easier in Riven?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

The ability to talk to the monsters.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Come to think of it, did Kaiser ever release hs Doom 64 DS port? I remember him complaining about how noone seemed interested in his work (the work he hadn't bothered to show anyone outside of a few posts on his website) but it seemed like it was pretty much done and I'm sure it'd be even better on 3DS.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

prboom scales the status bar really badly at 320x240 for some reason, I might tweak it a bit later

The Kins posted:

Awesome stuff! I got linked to a similar project a while back, prBoom3DS. Might be useful? I know he got the game onto the top screen...

Neat! I kinda figured there'd be a prior example, though it looks like that one uses then ARM9 CPU to set up a hardware renderer so I don't think it could actually be run as-is with any of the current userland exploits (ninjhax / ironhax / tubehax, which only let you access the ARM11 if I understand correctly).

Getting the game onto the top screen isn't really a big deal, but the interesting part will be adding the stereoscopic 3D, and maybe optionally being able to jack up the FOV and go widescreen, but it'd take a bit of a messy hack to have both screens rendering at two different resolutions simultaneously.

That other port should be useful for implementing audio though (at least for sound effects, I'm not really worried about music for the time being).

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

drrockso20 posted:

Picking up one enemy, and throwing them at another enemy to kill 'em! Also old school video game style powerups could be fun. An FPS with some sort of mixing gimmick ala Magicka, or more simply like gunstar heroes would be pretty awesome.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

QwertySanchez posted:

Picking up one enemy, and throwing them at another enemy to kill 'em!

This needs to appear in platformers more, too. I don't know why more games didn't rip off Mario 2, that game owns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

QwertySanchez posted:

Picking up one enemy, and throwing them at another enemy to kill 'em!

This is one of the very few things Deus Ex Invisible War got right.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RyokoTK posted:

This needs to appear in platformers more, too. I don't know why more games didn't rip off Mario 2, that game owns.

Yeah, it almost felt like a playground, rather than the first and third games.

Speaking of SMB3, how about getting a suit in an FPS, and then gain an ability! Switch suits, and switch abilities!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's settled: Gearbox owns Duke http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/dukestatement/

quote:

JOINT STATEMENT BY 3DR, INTERCEPTOR, AND GEARBOX

Gearbox Software, 3D Realms and Interceptor Entertainment have resolved their differences; the parties have voluntarily ended all litigation between them.

From Mike Nielsen (3D Realms CEO): “When Interceptor acquired a license to develop ‘Duke Nukem Mass Destruction’ (‘Duke Nukem Survivor’) from 3D Realms, we did so in good faith and were not aware of any conflict. We never intended to cause any harm to Gearbox or Duke, which is why we immediately ceased development after Gearbox reached out. To secure the future of Duke, 3D Realms has agreed with Gearbox that a single home serves the IP best. And as big Duke fans, we’re excited to see what Gearbox has in store for the ‘King.’ As for our own games, we’re eager to complete development of the ‘Bombshell’ game and get it in the hands of our fans.”
STATEMENT BY FREDERIK SCHREIBER

I’m really happy that the lawsuit between Gearbox, 3DR, and Interceptor has come to an end. Right now, I, along with my Interceptor colleagues, are busy making the finishing touches on “Bombshell.” We can’t wait until you guys can play it!

Now that the lawsuit is over, I’d like to say a few things about my history with Gearbox, and hopefully clear some things up. I’ve been a huge Duke fan for many years, and the original Duke Nukem 3D was a big influence on me and my career in this industry that I love.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to Gearbox for allowing me to work on Duke Nukem Reloaded. I decided to cease production of Reloaded in 2011 to establish Interceptor and work on Rise of the Triad.

I want to make it clear now, once and for all – It was my own decision to pull the plug on Duke Nukem Reloaded, even though we were fully allowed to continue development. I respect Gearbox for supporting a young developer, and I’m glad we can now put this behind us.

I look forward to completing development on “Bombshell” and—as a long-time fan of Duke—I’m excited to see what Gearbox has in store for the ‘King’!
STATEMENT BY GEARBOX

Gearbox Software has voluntarily ended its litigation against Interceptor Entertainment and 3D Realms, and wishes to keep the terms of its settlement confidential except to confirm that Gearbox Software is the full and rightful owner of the Duke Nukem franchise.

Gearbox Software appreciates the sentiments from Interceptor and 3D Realms' representatives. Gearbox Software President Randy Pitchford said, “I genuinely appreciate Mr. Nielsen’s and Mr. Schreiber’s statement and sincerely offer my best wishes to Interceptor Entertainment and 3D Realms towards their future success and, as someone who was part of the 3D Realms team when Bombshell was first imagined, I am excited to see what they have in store for us with their game.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It was my own decision to pull the plug on Duke Nukem Reloaded, even though we were fully allowed to continue development. I respect Gearbox for supporting a young developer, and I’m glad we can now put this behind us.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Sounds like it ended the way it should have, good deal.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Yeah there's definitely some "well we lost, better spin this like it was all good for everybody" in there.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

TerminusEst13 posted:

"Well, also because Randy said he'd fly to Denmark and curbstomp the throats of my loved ones."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Those are the words of a pod person. All of them.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
To secure the future of Duke,

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

elf help book posted:

To secure the future of Duke,

we must secure the existence of our IP and a future for Duke Nukem

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

heil to the king, baby

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
This is going several pages back, but what was that front end for downloading/launching Doom mods? I'm trying to decide if I should go with something like that, or just make a bunch of custom library entries in Steam. Really wanna get Reelism and that Contra mod going.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

DoomLauncher

also I don't want to be a nihilistic rear end, but who gives two shits about Duke Nukem, 3DR will re-release Duke3D until the death of universe and no way in hell Gearbox will salvage anything from the franchise. The only interesting stuff is only done for Duke3D by dedicated modders and content creators, no one wants new Duke game, even Reloaded was just a remake.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Those are the words of a pod person. All of them.

Lawyers go to school to learn how to say so little with so many words.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And politicians, that's why both hate videogames (I loved these days on the 90's).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Awesome, thanks!

Huh, so I just select the GZdoom.exe (for example) as my source port, and add a single IWAD for each game/mod and that's it? And it's smart enough to pull whatever other files/assets it may need from the proper directories? That seems to be the case, just from briefly playing around with D1 and D2, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

What's the deal with the "d" iwad I'm seeing along with "DOOM"? And how do I get "metadata" for these games? Is it just the mods that have screenshots and stuff in the UI?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Minidust posted:

What's the deal with the "d"
In which I confirm I am actually 12 years old.

Minidust posted:

Huh, so I just select the GZdoom.exe (for example) as my source port, and add a single IWAD for each game/mod and that's it?
Yup. From my understanding, DoomLauncher is supposed to be a Doom-focused (dur) take on QuakeLauncher, which was pretty much exactly that. Very lightweight, pick a mod and execute, have fun.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Another Quake map jam, this time on the "Fire and Brimstone" theme. Lots of entries from both new and old mappers:

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61228

As usual for a "jam" these maps are made very quickly. Might not be perfectly polished or balanced. On the upside you get some cool experiments, and new people joining in.

Pay close attention to the QuakeSpasm recommendation! DarkPlaces _might_ work, not sure (and I don't think that's been tested). Several other Quake engines are known NOT to work with this pack.

There's a bunch of other images on this twitter stream if you need more convincing: https://twitter.com/tdDaz ... but you might rather see the various places first-hand in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ah, the next mapjam is here? Finally, I was getting a bit antsy waiting for it. I even had to start playing Quoth maps to try and satiate my desire for Quake (I really don't care for the extended Quoth bestiary - well, the new techbase enemies are okay, but the others feel rather out-of-place IMO).