Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

If people don't mind horribly, I'm gonna write up my immediate thoughts on how to automate all the essentia production you need to fuel Olmec to his fullest extent:

Aer - Sugar Cane farm, you can use mana spreaders with bore lenses to break all the sugar cane. I'm hoping to find a way to fit enough Hydroangeas in to make it self-powering.
Herba - Sugar Cane farm, the reeds break down into aer, herba, and aqua
Auram - Euclidaisies, tough to automate this unless anyone knows of a way to make an arcane furnace setup that discards everything but Auram that I can feed my wispy essences into. (nm can be done with void jars and golems, it's just a pain)
Cognitio - Sugar Cane farm, autocraft paper, burn paper for Cog
Arbor - Tree farm, arbor is really easy to get en masse
Ignis - Tree farm -> Charcoal
Mechanus - Levers, use some Igneous Extruders to feed cobble into a cyclic assembler, feed it sticks, have it spit out sticks
Ordo - Tree farm -> Charcoal -> Centrifuge -> Ordo
Sano - MFR Rancher, milk, alchemical boiler
Vacuos - Tree farm -> Chests? Otherwise it's Igneous Extruder -> Cobble -> Pulverizer -> Sand -> Furnace -> Glass -> Cyclic Assembly -> Glass Bottle to burn

I don't know that I'm going to obsessively automate everything, but I'd like to automate sugar cane (it's fun with botania), a tree farm, and milk production. If I get Blood Magic up and running with a Well of Suffering, I think I can plop the fire crystal things into my alchemical boilers and furnaces to keep them juiced up permanently, then have golems empty the alembics.

Hrm, if you wanted to really go nuts on things you could automate cobblestone breakdown into terra and perditio, discard the perditio, and use the terra, along with aqua from the sugar cane farm, to duplicate clay indefinitely, making phials a renewable resource, and making most of the systems here into closed loops that just generate material and essentia. Good stuff!

Can't you just have harvest golems harvesting sugarcane? Also, an auram alchemical furnace can be golem-free. Just put two alembics on it, one with an auram label and the other hooked up to an oblivion jar. The auram label needs to be on the bottom alembic, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McFrugal posted:

Can't you just have harvest golems harvesting sugarcane? Also, an auram alchemical furnace can be golem-free. Just put two alembics on it, one with an auram label and the other hooked up to an oblivion jar. The auram label needs to be on the bottom alembic, IIRC.

No Oblivion Jars in blightfall unfortunately, it doesn't have the Thaumic Exploration addon.

...huh I just got an idea that I'll have to test.

Ciaphas posted:

I left my world in a bit of a state this morning. I'm down to like 50 rep from 255 from too much dying, wasting rep on machine bags, and needing lots of lead and copper and ghast tears from requisitions. I cheated slightly and left my character flying in creative (so I don't die of hunger) above my golem wheat farm, so hopefully when I get home tonight I have enough bread to stave off disaster. I need to get my energy cell upgraded from Redstone (one of my lucky machine bag finds) to Resonant soon I think, too; my AE network is at its max eight channels and is draining an awful lot of power constantly. (I guess I could turn off the power when I'm not using it, but at this point I'm basically using it all the time--importing essentia or wheat from the farm or whatever.)

Do you have any local power generation or are you getting it all from requisitions? Yellorium is a pain to get but you can use botania RF generation via the Mana Fluxfield. It's not too hard to automate and you can get an awful lot of power out of it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

No Oblivion Jars in blightfall unfortunately, it doesn't have the Thaumic Exploration addon.

Uhh... crap, I must have been thinking of a different modpack I played recently. An alternative is a crystalizer feeding to a nullifier or some other item destruction device.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a lot of the thaumcraft addons start bleeding together after a while, and it's hard to tell what comes from what. it's cool that it has a lot of extra mods, though. kinda wish botania would get a big update or something.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay how the hell do I unlock manasteel caps?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Double the size of an ethereal bloom, so you're gaining double the area covered that the two ethereal blooms used in the infusion recipe would provide.

Taint would grow back if there were sources of fibrous taint still at the edges. Typical sources that you wouldn't be able to see are the cavern pockets. If you somehow manage to hit a point where there are no pockets intruding into your cleared space, taint would not spread. It also does not spread while the chunk is unloaded.

It's more like triple than double. Blooms cover a circle that's radius ~8, the Totem covers a square that's 48x48 (I think, I haven't counted it out precisely but it definitely looks like it cleans 9 chunks - the chunk it's in and every adjacent chunk). Blooms cover around 200 squares (just doing 8*8*3.14), totems cover just over 2300 squares if my 48x48 is right.

Totems are crazy good and a really good compromise between the ease of use of an Ethereal Bloom know and the taint-crushing power of the Dawn Machine. I'm working towards using a dozen totems as the bulk of my taint cleaning, and bringing in the Dawn Machine just for cleaning nodes, just because powering the dawn machine with 20 jars of essentia every hour and a nonstop stream of RF is a really tall task. Unless you've built a really robust, renewable automated industrial backbone for your operations, trying to produce that much stuff nonstop is absolutely grueling.

E: Or what 30.5 Days said, you can just use it as a super totem without essentia.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

a lot of the thaumcraft addons start bleeding together after a while, and it's hard to tell what comes from what. it's cool that it has a lot of extra mods, though. kinda wish botania would get a big update or something.

In some ways, Botania doesn't really need any extra mods. Thaumcraft has very straightforward tools to work with, but they're really narrow in scope, so generally if you want more functionality you need to build new stuff and add mods. Botania has really directionless, but incredibly flexible tools - there's a lot of stuff where I read it and went "huh? How is that useful" then watched a youtube video where it was vital part of a forty-five step process to do something ludicrous like transmute dirt blocks into nether stars. You can do goddamned anything with Botania, but you have to figure out how to do it. You can do very cool things with Thaumcraft, but doing them is generally a matter of reading the Thaumbook entry for it, seeing the intended use, then applying the tool in its intended way.

An easier way to explain it is that there's pretty much one way to tree farm in Thaumcraft - have trees, have golems that harvest trees, have golems that replant trees. Maybe a lamp of growth. There's very little room to do things differently or interestingly, which is fine, cause when you just want a drat tree farm you just want a drat tree farm. I have seen like a dozen different ways to do a tree farm in botania, including some really creative ones, because Botania gives you the ability to automate the destruction, collection, and placement of blocks. Breaking, picking up, and placing blocks is the entirety of the "mine" end of minecraft. With the crafty crate you can do automated crafting. Outside of, like, brewing, I don't think there's anything you can do in vanilla minecraft that you can't automate with Botania. And, honestly, I really cannot say that you can't do automated brewing with Botania, I just can't figure out how.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 19, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I forget, does the Dawn Machine actually do anything if it's unpowered either by RF or essentia?

I left my world in a bit of a state this morning. I'm down to like 50 rep from 255 from too much dying, wasting rep on machine bags, and needing lots of lead and copper and ghast tears from requisitions. I cheated slightly and left my character flying in creative (so I don't die of hunger) above my golem wheat farm, so hopefully when I get home tonight I have enough bread to stave off disaster. I need to get my energy cell upgraded from Redstone (one of my lucky machine bag finds) to Resonant soon I think, too; my AE network is at its max eight channels and is draining an awful lot of power constantly. (I guess I could turn off the power when I'm not using it, but at this point I'm basically using it all the time--importing essentia or wheat from the farm or whatever.)

Without essentia, it's basically a double-radius totem of dawn.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I kinda wish that Thaumic Horizons was in the pack. It adds a ton of thematically cool poo poo like magically infused mobs, lenses for the goggles of revealing and a bunch of other great stuff. I heard it can be rather unstable though, so maybe that's why its not in the pack. But it's really the pen-ultimate mad wizard mod.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Magres posted:

It's more like triple than double. Blooms cover a circle that's radius ~8, the Totem covers a square that's 48x48 (I think, I haven't counted it out precisely but it definitely looks like it cleans 9 chunks - the chunk it's in and every adjacent chunk). Blooms cover around 200 squares (just doing 8*8*3.14), totems cover just over 2300 squares if my 48x48 is right.

Well that certainly blew my assumption away. I was basing it on the Thaumonomicon's description which seemed to make it like it would be only 16 radius; good but arguably worth just pumping out ethereal blooms instead.

9-chunk distance is well worth the cost, however. I'll probably start into that after I get my arcane bore built.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magres posted:

In some ways, Botania doesn't really need any extra mods. Thaumcraft has very straightforward tools to work with, but they're really narrow in scope, so generally if you want more functionality you need to build new stuff and add mods. Botania has really directionless, but incredibly flexible tools - there's a lot of stuff where I read it and went "huh? How is that useful" then watched a youtube video where it was vital part of a forty-five step process to do something ludicrous like transmute dirt blocks into nether stars. You can do goddamned anything with Botania, but you have to figure out how to do it. You can do very cool things with Thaumcraft, but doing them is generally a matter of reading the Thaumbook entry for it, seeing the intended use, then applying the tool in its intended way.

An easier way to explain it is that there's pretty much one way to tree farm in Thaumcraft - have trees, have golems that harvest trees, have golems that replant trees. Maybe a lamp of growth. There's very little room to do things differently or interestingly, which is fine, cause when you just want a drat tree farm you just want a drat tree farm. I have seen like a dozen different ways to do a tree farm in botania, including some really creative ones, because Botania gives you the ability to automate the destruction, collection, and placement of blocks. Breaking, picking up, and placing blocks is the entirety of the "mine" end of minecraft. With the crafty crate you can do automated crafting. Outside of, like, brewing, I don't think there's anything you can do in vanilla minecraft that you can't automate with Botania. And, honestly, I really cannot say that you can't do automated brewing with Botania, I just can't figure out how.

i just want more flowers :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Well that certainly blew my assumption away. I was basing it on the Thaumonomicon's description which seemed to make it like it would be only 16 radius; good but arguably worth just pumping out ethereal blooms instead.

9-chunk distance is well worth the cost, however. I'll probably start into that after I get my arcane bore built.

Yeah I placed a Totem and went :aaa: when it started cleaning poo poo 20 blocks away

The hard part about Totems of Dawn is that they take a ton of Ordo shards to make. Definitely my biggest chokepoint in totem production is finding Ordo shards.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i just want more flowers :(

What do you want them to do! Let's brainstorm a way to make it happen with the flowers that are there!

Mzbundifund posted:

Is it true that totems stop functioning until broken / replaced once their chunk goes unloaded?

Yes but it's getting fixed next patch, which is supposed to roll out in the next few days.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 19, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it true that totems stop functioning until broken / replaced once their chunk goes unloaded?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mzbundifund posted:

Do you have any local power generation or are you getting it all from requisitions? Yellorium is a pain to get but you can use botania RF generation via the Mana Fluxfield. It's not too hard to automate and you can get an awful lot of power out of it.

All from requisition, now that I'm out of yellorium. The most I've done in botania here is stumbling on a dozen dayblooms somewhere, and finding a mana pool + spreaders in that underwater altar, so I set those up outside and have done literally nothing else. :v:

Never heard of a mana fluxfield, is that a new flower?

I thought again about dismantling the AE system and seeing what automagy (a mod I've never messed with) can do--I guess it has inventory and essentia management stuff? Still reading up on it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

All from requisition, now that I'm out of yellorium. The most I've done in botania here is stumbling on a dozen dayblooms somewhere, and finding a mana pool + spreaders in that underwater altar, so I set those up outside and have done literally nothing else. :v:

Never heard of a mana fluxfield, is that a new flower?

I thought again about dismantling the AE system and seeing what automagy (a mod I've never messed with) can do--I guess it has inventory and essentia management stuff? Still reading up on it.

mana fluxfield is a block that you can shoot mana bursts at (with a mana spreader) and it converts the mana into RF

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Yes. Supposedly it will be fixed in the next update.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magres posted:

What do you want them to do! Let's brainstorm a way to make it happen with the flowers that are there!

i didn't have anything specific in mind at the moment. it's just neat to make a bunch of different flowers and see what i can do with them, and more options would only heighten that enjoyment for me.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I've never really tried using Harvestcraft before so I have a few questions about the trees with fruit you can get from seed bags.

1) Are the fruits that pop up once it sprouts the only ones you'll get from a tree or will more re-grow over time?
2) Do all fruits ripen over time and what effect does that have? I got an apple tree once and was surprised when one of the green apples turned red.
3) Is it possible to get fruit saplings back from trees/fruit or is it a one-time only deal? I noticed I only got the basic saplings when I cut them down.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Desperate Character posted:

I've never really tried using Harvestcraft before so I have a few questions about the trees with fruit you can get from seed bags.

1) Are the fruits that pop up once it sprouts the only ones you'll get from a tree or will more re-grow over time?
2) Do all fruits ripen over time and what effect does that have? I got an apple tree once and was surprised when one of the green apples turned red.
3) Is it possible to get fruit saplings back from trees/fruit or is it a one-time only deal? I noticed I only got the basic saplings when I cut them down.

1: The initial fruit placement is all you get. You don't get extras.
2: They ripen. Right-click to harvest once they're ripe. A new unripened fruit will replace it.
3: Nope. One sapling, one tree.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Okay how the hell do I unlock manasteel caps?

Unlock infusion to get access to livingwood wand, research that, then you can research manasteel caps I think.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

Unlock infusion to get access to livingwood wand, research that, then you can research manasteel caps I think.

Oh, the livingwood wand is warped research so I ignored it. Why the hell is it even warped research?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Desperate Character posted:

Craft a tree-fruit with a oak sapling i think.

Also, they regrow, but there will be the same total ammount on the tree maximum.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Oh, the livingwood wand is warped research so I ignored it. Why the hell is it even warped research?

Because doing things to livingwood is eeeevvvviiiiillllll

Real answer, just use server commands to set your permanent warp back to 0. Permanent Warp is a really meh mechanic - temp and sticky warp are spooky and fun, permanent is not. (temp falls off on its own, you have to invest some resources into cleaning sticky off, and permanent is always there and gets old after a while)

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 19, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

if you've got access to high-level botania poo poo you can spend your amulet bauble slot on a Tainted Blood Pendant that continually applies the Warp Ward effect

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
At some point in Blightfall, the corners of my screen started to turn dark and it played some sound of a heart beating like crazy or something. Was that warp or what? I just about poo poo my pants when it happened.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

McFrugal posted:

1: The initial fruit placement is all you get. You don't get extras.
2: They ripen. Right-click to harvest once they're ripe. A new unripened fruit will replace it.
3: Nope. One sapling, one tree.

Thanks for the explanation! My next re-start will be a lot less wasteful now :v:

I've been trying out each base in the mean-time and I found that requisitioning saplings is actually better than seedlings early game because you can get lucky and obtain rubber trees or the ones from the nether which have a higher pick-axe tier. You can just get a box of supplies from Capt Shitake or from just requisitioning one so there's no need to set up a food farm initially.

I realized that team omega may actually be the best team to start with as you have the quickest access to the best tools and resources. First, all you need to do is grow one tree, build a boat, dig under the glass then just place your boat when the water rushes in and you'll float straight up to the surface without taking any damage. Afterwards, just sail to the secret right across from the bio-dome, the Greatwood tree base and you now have available a full set of tinker construct worktables (including an iron tool forge, meaning you can build the advanced tools and weapons right at the beginning), as well as a free Thaumonomicon and the starter Thaumcraft workbenches (research table, arcane workbench, deconstruction table). Make sure to plant an ethereal bloom at the base of the secret so it doesn't get tainted. With everything you can get there it makes Blightfall's early-game a lot less tedious.

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 19, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

At some point in Blightfall, the corners of my screen started to turn dark and it played some sound of a heart beating like crazy or something. Was that warp or what? I just about poo poo my pants when it happened.

Yeah that's warp, it's terrifying when it first starts happening.

And it only gets worse :unsmigghh:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

I don't understand how I incurred warp. I have pretty much just researched infusion and the pick of the core. Can I get warp from being near certain nodes or something? Could it have been a loot chest? Zombie brain?

It wasn't like I was sitting in a pond of sewage, eating zombie brains or anything.

I was just kind of doing my little food thing when I started going crazy.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't understand how I incurred warp. I have pretty much just researched infusion and the pick of the core. Can I get warp from being near certain nodes or something? Could it have been a loot chest? Zombie brain?

It wasn't like I was sitting in a pond of sewage, eating zombie brains or anything.

I was just kind of doing my little food thing when I started going crazy.

completing some research will give you warp

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magres posted:

Well, terrifying at first.

Then obnoxious.

Then terrifying again when you get to some of the later effects.

Then finally ending at tedious.

Seriously, the spooky guardians with their mist stop becoming a threat as soon as you get something that eats through their runic armor (shock focus) and just become absolutely obnoxious when they keep spawning in your mine, going "OoOOooOOoh!" while making the area foggy until they go away.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmm last time I played with Thaumcraft was in 1.6.4 with AS. I don't think the warp mechanics were complete then. So any old research can trigger that stuff? Can I get any of the killer mobs just from civilian-grade research?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like TC and Blightfall but I am 100% not looking forward to dealing with the loving hunger and sun sensitivity effects.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hmm last time I played with Thaumcraft was in 1.6.4 with AS. I don't think the warp mechanics were complete then. So any old research can trigger that stuff? Can I get any of the killer mobs just from civilian-grade research?

Only the research with the big, black auras...which are generally around good stuff. You'll hear a hissing/whispering sound when you use the research page you make if you just learned a forbidden research.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Don't you have to get some warp in order to unlock one of the pages of the thaumonomicon or something like that?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I like TC and Blightfall but I am 100% not looking forward to dealing with the loving hunger and sun sensitivity effects.

I dunno I kinda liked the hunger bit after I figured out you can remove that effect by eating rotten flesh and zombie brains!

Edit:

President Ark posted:

Don't you have to get some warp in order to unlock one of the pages of the thaumonomicon or something like that?

Yes, and when I'll be getting straight into that poo poo as soon as I'm happy with my magical supplies. Never even been to the void dimension

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 19, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Fun fact if you really need aspects without literal cheating.
Portable tanks and Energy cells of all kinds forget that you scanned them everytime the server is restarted. There might be a few other TE machines like that too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Warp would be neat if it was just cosmetic stuff, but dying in 30 seconds because you got Unnatural Hunger IV and there's not really any good ways to get rotten flesh is stupid bullshit!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Ok, so I get how to purify the land, but how do you purify the ocean (and all the tainted caves under the ocean)? Just not worry about it? Do the purify quests only track tainted land masses? Because I'm looking at this purify swamp bay quest and it's 80% water...

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Ok, so I get how to purify the land, but how do you purify the ocean (and all the tainted caves under the ocean)? Just not worry about it? Do the purify quests only track tainted land masses? Because I'm looking at this purify swamp bay quest and it's 80% water...

Get a bunch of silverwood or greatwood wands with manasteel caps and just walk over the ocean floor changing wands as you run out.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Reason posted:

Warp would be neat if it was just cosmetic stuff, but dying in 30 seconds because you got Unnatural Hunger IV and there's not really any good ways to get rotten flesh is stupid bullshit!

Not dying to complete bullshit while grinding your face against unintuitive, undocumented, or intentionally obtuse mechanics goes against The Minecraft Modders Vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Well, terrifying at first.

Then obnoxious.

Then terrifying again when you get to some of the later effects.

Then finally ending at tedious.

Seriously, the spooky guardians with their mist stop becoming a threat as soon as you get something that eats through their runic armor (shock focus) and just become absolutely obnoxious when they keep spawning in your mine, going "OoOOooOOoh!" while making the area foggy until they go away.

I always just ran at them and hacked them up with my enchanted Sword of the Zephyr (incidentally this is my solution to everything). But yeah spooky black robe ghosts are just irritating when you're far enough that they don't pose a real threat.

Warp is legitimately not far off from being a really good mechanic, but permanent warp is bad because it overstays its welcome really badly. Being able tune Warp and its effects would make it a really good mechanic. I'd turn off Permanent Warp, turn off the Unnatural Hunger event (here, at least - in modpacks where starvation is no big deal, unnatural hunger is a good event), limit spooky ghost wizards to happening like 5 times, and boom Warp is in a place that would make me really happy.

Reason posted:

:stare:

That sounds like an unintended interaction and is awful bullshit.

Ambaire posted:

Angel Blocks can be placed in mid-air, my plan is to use Angel Blocks as anchors and leapfrog Totems of the Dawn around.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 19, 2015