Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TNG did it before Buffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

VideoTapir posted:

I think that was kind of the idea.

It's actually a scathing takedown of Family Guy.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Rick and Morty

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

pseudorandom name posted:

TNG did it before Buffy.
Didn't TNG do this in reverse? Everyone disappearing

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

DeepQantas posted:

Dr Crusher was caught in a static warp bubble and only she could remember the other crew members that were disappearing, even when the computer could not.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 19, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

I like when morty revealed the secret and you could see rick was caught off guard but then started taking credit for it and being a dick.

I loved the hobo memory because it's such a great little demonstration of how selfish Jerry is. Beth is carrying two big bags full of groceries while he's just carrying a single carton of eggs, and Jerry doesn't warn Beth about the guy until AFTER he locks himself safely in the car.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's now cannon that Rick has had 5 Mortys

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:
I always wondered why the parasites changed Rick's memory of writing 6 on the wall but not his memory of why he erected the blast shields. If they'd been clever enough I'm sure they coulda made him lower them that way.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
It was pretty clear they weren't the cleverest things in the universe, just clever enough to keep propagating.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of pictures like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting Mr. Poopy Butthole in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of pictures like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting Mr. Poopy Butthole in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

Wubba lubba suck my dick

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

REALLY

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pseudorandom name posted:

TNG did it before Buffy.

DeepQantas posted:

Blackchamber posted:

Dr Crusher was caught in a static warp bubble and only she could remember the other crew members that were disappearing, even when the computer could not.

The Dr Crusher episode was Remember Me, and follows that plot. It's a really good episode.

"Computer, define the universe."
"The universe is a spheroid region approximately 700 meters in diameter."

The other episode being referred to was Conundrum. The Enterprise encounters a ship which fires some kind of energy pulse or something that knocks everyone unconscious. When the crew wakes up, the alien ship is gone, nobody can remember who they are or what they're doing, and there's a new face on board. When they get the computer back online, it tells them that they've been in a brutal war with Eastasia the Lysians for years, and that the guest star of the week is the XO of the ship.

It's not quite the same level, since the audience is pretty well clued in from the beginning that MacDuff doesn't belong there, but it's kinda close. I can't say about the Buffy episode mentioned as I haven't watched Buffy.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

And that's the way... the news goes. :smith:

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:

Schnedwob posted:

And that's the way... the jews goes. :smith:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Boo this man

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Dr Crusher episode was Remember Me, and follows that plot. It's a really good episode.

"Computer, define the universe."
"The universe is a spheroid region approximately 700 meters in diameter."

That episode terrified me when I was a kid. I don't know why.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Sudo Echo posted:

Rick and Morty

If either of them ever takes some sort of hallucinogenic substance, I would love for them to just blow the animation budget and switch to this style.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Megaspel posted:

If either of them ever takes some sort of hallucinogenic substance, I would love for them to just blow the animation budget and switch to this style.

^^^^also, Rick has 6 fingers

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Paladinus posted:

Source your work:

http://heebmagazine.com/my-little-ponys-holocaust-horrors/43832

:p

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Buffy did it first.

Only if Buffy did it before the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode where this scenario was also played out using using partial amnesia and falsified personnel records instead of false memories.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Buffy did it first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2baJU2uWNo

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Holy poo poo that episode was amazing. My favourite line was after they killed Sleepy Garry:

Jerry: I'm a paraaasite :cry:

Beth: Yeeah but you're real.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Paladinus posted:

:vince:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Paladinus posted:

nice

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I enjoyed that there was an Amish cyborg whose name was "Amish Cyborg"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

No Luck Needed posted:

I noticed in the intro that Mr. Poopy Butthole was added, along with the butler. I would assume that those happy memories are of the Butler and that Mr. Poopy Butthole was added to further the illusion that everything changing is correct.

What holy poo poo you noticed that? That's crazy it was such a tiny minor detail that must have gone unnoticed by so many people until you posted about it in this thread! I see this episode in such a different light now that you've told us about this insane joke we all missed

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Paladinus posted:

Ahahahahaha

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Something about Rick's character that I never really noticed before the blast shields went up is that, unlike many other "mad scientist" archetypes upon whom Rick is based, Rick doesn't plaster a custom logo all over his creations. Usually his inventions are very improvisational, so the idea that they might have a logo never occurs. The blast shields on the other hand are one of the most polished prices of technology we see Rick wield, and the type of thing a typical mad scientist would stamp his logo all over
Rick has many, many flaws but vainglory is (perhaps tellingly) not among them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You are assuming, of course, that Rick made those. Maybe he just paid to have them installed by some alien.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bobulus posted:

You are assuming, of course, that Rick made those. Maybe he just paid to have them installed by some alien.

Then why isn't there an alien security company logo on them? :smug:

But yeah that's entirely possible.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
So I dunno if this has been brought up, and there is probably evidence against it, but has it ever been suggested that Beth is one of Rick's former traveling buddies? It would be part of why she is pretty okay with him taking Morty around, cause she knows that he will keep Morty safe, or possibly became a jaded herself. It could also be why he split up with her mom, because she became worried and things just fell apart.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So I dunno if this has been brought up, and there is probably evidence against it, but has it ever been suggested that Beth is one of Rick's former traveling buddies? It would be part of why she is pretty okay with him taking Morty around, cause she knows that he will keep Morty safe, or possibly became a jaded herself. It could also be why he split up with her mom, because she became worried and things just fell apart.

I think that if Beth had been one of Rick's companions she would have already known very well why the house had blast shields.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I think it's heavily implied that he was an absent father who only recently has been staying with Smith family because of his age.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Thematically he is an absent father that was never even there where she was growing up.

Knowing this show there feels like roughly zero percent chance we will get to the end of the last episode and have beth not end up in part of some unimaginably awful twist where she is a robot or dead or never existed or some other high concept rigamaroll

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

ElCondemn posted:

I think it's heavily implied that he was an absent father who only recently has been staying with Smith family because of his age.

Well, not so much implied as directly stated. We know that by Season 1, he'd been back in her life for one year after 20 years (IIRC) out of it. Given the fact that Summer is a teenager and Beth's pregnancy with Summer was the impetus for Beth's and Jerry's marriage, it's safe to say that Rick was out of her life from at least the time that she was a teenager. Perhaps around Morty's age, in fact. Whether or not he was generally an absentee father before he officially left hasn't been dealt with much, if at all. But, what Beth said to Rick when asking him to refrain from building lairs under the house makes me think that maybe her mom had had a similar discussion with him at some point that caused him to leave.

I think the main reasons she lets Rick take Morty everywhere are 1) she does know he's a genius, and 2) she doesn't want to upset him because he might leave again. I mean, for whatever reason, she really wants him in her life. She was even making excuses for him when she discovered his secret subterranean lair and the alien monster held captive within. A reasonable person would start eviction proceedings. She simply assumed Rick was trying to cure his space AIDS. (Which he was, but that's beside the point.)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
This was answered in the first episode, Morty isn't very smart, hanging out with Rick makes him smart as long as there are large seeds inserted. Beth and Jerry both think Morty is a genuis, Rick gets to continue to live at the house and use Morty... err take him on trips.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The whole "The parasites can only create good memories" realization was really smart of Morty, so much so that it didn't even occur to Rick, I wonder what the deal is with that. If it's development that he's getting sharper or just another of the off-beat characteristics of the potentially-different-universe-smith-family. (His dad being gay/bi, mom being a raging alcoholic, Morty being smarter, Summer being...into raves? idk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

r0ck0 posted:

This was answered in the first episode, Morty isn't very smart, hanging out with Rick makes him smart as long as there are large seeds inserted. Beth and Jerry both think Morty is a genuis, Rick gets to continue to live at the house and use Morty... err take him on trips.

I think the smart seed things were just a one-time thing. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Morty's adventures with Rick have left him more, not necessarily intelligent, but savvy.

• Locked thread