Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Babysitting 4-5 kids for $20/hour seems about right, if not a little low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Error 404 posted:

_________________________/

Wasn't it last August that Sammy G dominated the chat thread?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone know anything about the games in the newest Bundle of Holding?

quote:

$8.95:

-Age of Arthur (Wordplay Games, retail price $15): A gritty Arthurian Britain of the Dark Ages, powered by Fate 3rd Edition.
-On Her Majesty's Arcane Service (Better Mousetrap Games, retail $10): Help Doctor John Dee defend the new British Empire from occult threats.
-Outremer (Better Mousetrap, retail $10): An alternate 16th Century where the Crusader States have survived and thrived.
-Timemaster (Goblinoid Games, retail $6): The classic 1980s Pacesetter game of high-impact time-travel adventure. True, Timemaster isn't a "historical" RPG -- but it can connect all the others!

$21.90:

-Pirates & Dragons Core Rulebook (Cakebread & Walton, retail $25): Fantastic swashbuckling in an archipelago of strange beasts and vile necromancers. Includes the Dragon Isles Poster Map (retail $2).
-Maelstrom Domesday (Arion Games, retail $15): A new version of the classic British RPG Maelstrom, set in 11th-Century Anglo-Norman Britain.
-Northern Crown (Atlas): Fantastic D20 System adventures amid the legends and myths of colonial North America. Includes both New World Adventures (retail $15) and the Gazetteer (retail $15).
-Heirs to the Lost World (Obsidian Serpent, retail $10): The mythic New World during the Age of Exploration.

Conceptually I like the idea behind a couple of these (On Her Majesty's Arcane Service sounds like a more occult version of Neil Stephenson's Baroque series and seems interesting), but have no idea if they're poo poo or not.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fozzilized Rappy did a F&F on Northern Crown.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
One other "great" thing about CthulhuTech was how it set up for like five different levels of play in the same book. You could have a street-level kung-fu hitman, a lady cultist who was poo poo at learning spells (because spell-learning in that game was idiotic), a guy that could shapeshift into a monster, some grunt in a basic mech, and an elite soldier driving in one of their not-Evangelions (no teenagers because that's unrealistic you pleb :smaug:). Each level would successively overpower all the other archetypes and render their roles redundant, but the game still allowed mixed parties for some reason. Plus, since all those different play levels fight for space in one corebook naturally most of them are neglected and unbalanced

also

the core rulebook posted:

The Pronoun Game

Okay, here it is – we use he, him, and his when we’re talking about people playing the game. It just seems weird to alternate pronoun genders within the same book – it makes it feel like the book is written for two different audiences. The masculine pronoun is the standard and right or wrong we’re used to seeing it. It may not be politically correct, but you can’t please everybody.

Oh and you can't mention

Helical Nightmares posted:

The other salient problem with CthulhuTech was that the adventure(s) written allowed no player agency at all. At least that is what I got from the F and F review. Here is a bunch of horrible and sick stuff you have to witness and you can do nothing about it. It was less of an adventure and more of a poorly written sick hentai fanfic.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I liked that the servants of Shub Niggurath were literally sexy furries.

Without including that one of the sample adventures in the book railroaded everyone into getting raped and impregnated by sexy furries

you gave birth to Satan-Bambi (I double checked just women have to worry about giving birth to demonic woodland creatures)

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 19, 2015

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Error 404 posted:

_________________________/

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Nuns with Guns posted:

you gave birth to Satan-Bambi (I double checked just women have to worry about giving birth to demonic woodland creatures)

Don't forget that they're magically impossible to abort and will probably kill you if you have one, so it's save or die in nine months, your fault for playing a woman.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

potatocubed posted:

Wasn't it last August that Sammy G dominated the chat thread?

Happy Anniversary!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Happy Sammyversary!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

Error 404 posted:

Happy Sammyversary!
                                                                                          /

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
                                                                                          /

[/quote]

I love all of you bastards

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Now someone google dream it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Splicer posted:

And with stange aeons even death may die.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Splicer posted:

You must have missed a few posts up when Tulul edited the original quote.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I am never going to sleep again

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This forced meme sucks donkey balls. Gas

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

I am never going to sleep again

another victim of insamnia

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I went through the CTech FATAL and Friends reviews a few weeks back, and was very sad the developer whining about people playing teens in not-Evas isn't on the internet anymore.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
A bit redundant don't you think?

:coffeepal:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tollymain posted:

another victim of insamnia

this is the best post you've ever made

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I went through the CTech FATAL and Friends reviews a few weeks back, and was very sad the developer whining about people playing teens in not-Evas isn't on the internet anymore.

It was surprising they took time away from winning about piracy and how it's killing them.

This wouldn't be that crazy if they weren't ridiculous about it and initially partnered with the Eclipse Phase people, who are the opposite and successful because they make a much better game. They also can't come to terms with the fact that maybe they just don't make a very good game.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

In addition to having like five different games in the core book didn't CTech also mention that the mech combat was the way it was because they were working on a tabletop war game for it?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I figure this thread might be the best place to ask this.

My friends and I used to play D&D 3e like 10 years ago during high school and college. We are looking to get back into RPGs, preferably a dungeon crawl of some kind with some good published adventures, because now with full time jobs and families it's a lot harder to find the time to prepare a custom adventure. Ideally it would also have decent balance between classes and engaging combat.

What's the murderhobo simulator with the best combat? From what I've read, 5e seems to be a regression to the bad parts of 3e. 4e seems well regarded, but we're not unwilling to try a non-D&D game if there is a better one out there.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
We have a system recommendation thread, but for fantasy murderhoboing I would recommend looking at Torchbearer or 13th Age, both of which are sort of cousins to D&D.

Comedy option: Sine Nomine's Exemplars & Eidolons

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

inklesspen posted:

We have a system recommendation thread, but for fantasy murderhoboing I would recommend looking at Torchbearer or 13th Age, both of which are sort of cousins to D&D.

Comedy option: Sine Nomine's Exemplars & Eidolons

Thanks for the links! I'll head on over to that thread then.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 19, 2015

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Ojetor posted:

What's the murderhobo simulator with the best combat?

Depends on what you mean by best combat. If you're looking for complex tactics and stuff, 4e and Strike! are some of the best.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I'd definitely recommend 4e or Strike if you want good, grid-based gameplay. Most other systems I've played have notable imbalances between classes or abstract combat heavily.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Seconding the 13th Age recommendation. It's best described as "what fifth edition should have been."

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Pouring over the old AD&D books has reacquainted me with the art of Jim Holloway, whom I never knew the name of but always loved his stuff.

I love everything about this, the focus on the moment everything goes sideways, the amazing facial expressions, I love it all. This is the art in rule books that excited my imagination, not the serious heros and villians, but the poor fucks who just wanted to make a few gold coins, frozen in the moment where they realized that maybe being a dirt farmer isnt so bad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

bunnielab posted:

Pouring over the old AD&D books has reacquainted me with the art of Jim Holloway, whom I never knew the name of but always loved his stuff.

I love everything about this, the focus on the moment everything goes sideways, the amazing facial expressions, I love it all. This is the art in rule books that excited my imagination, not the serious heros and villians, but the poor fucks who just wanted to make a few gold coins, frozen in the moment where they realized that maybe being a dirt farmer isnt so bad.

He also has contributed some art to Dungeon Crawl Classics, although I think I like Peter Mullen's art in that book the best

Ojetor posted:

I figure this thread might be the best place to ask this.

My friends and I used to play D&D 3e like 10 years ago during high school and college. We are looking to get back into RPGs, preferably a dungeon crawl of some kind with some good published adventures, because now with full time jobs and families it's a lot harder to find the time to prepare a custom adventure. Ideally it would also have decent balance between classes and engaging combat.

What's the murderhobo simulator with the best combat? From what I've read, 5e seems to be a regression to the bad parts of 3e. 4e seems well regarded, but we're not unwilling to try a non-D&D game if there is a better one out there.

If you want something modern then what the other's have said about 4th Edition is true(FantasyCraft is also worth looking into), if you want something old school however then I'd recommend one of the following; Basic Fantasy RPG, Adventurer Conqueror King System, or Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

So my friend published an RPG on DriveThru and I was wondering what the stance was on advertising.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Jim Holloway is THE reason to get a copy of Paranoia 2e. His art is crazy evocative of the setting.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Jim Holloway is THE reason to get a copy of Paranoia 2e. His art is crazy evocative of the setting.
It's pretty much the most perfect art-content match in all of RPGing

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

FMguru posted:

I'm just glad you said that where my signed Diterlizzi Planescape stuff can't hear you.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

I actually first saw his stuff in the 1st ed AD&D books and to me it fits there perfectly. Not maybe the tone of the rulebooks, but how the game play usually turned out. The game is super lethal and trying to play RAW is going to result in pretty much what he pictures. Also have so many of his pieces feature the subjects heatedly arguing, I feel it must be slightly meta comment on playing these games.

Also, really want a print of this for my home office:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

NachtSieger posted:

So my friend published an RPG on DriveThru and I was wondering what the stance was on advertising.

Well, the forum as a whole will happily sell you a banner ad slot. If you meant just talking it up, that's fine too. Just be sure to disclose that you're here to tell us about your friend's game, as opposed to this completely new game which you happened across by accident on the internet.

Also you'll want to make sure the things you say about it are true and well-supported. For example, if you were to mention that the RPG has an innovative approach to character creation, it would be a good idea to explain what those innovations are (and make sure they haven't been done by 50 other games already).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

This forced meme sucks donkey balls. Gas
Any meme can become great, however forced its start.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Any meme can become great, however forced its start.

The Sex loving gangtag..

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Sex loving gangtag..

Skill focus: Plutonis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib