Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Similar to how WoT progressed, I think this game has a lot of room to get better over time with the addition of new ships/nations/maps and some balance tweaks. Hopefully they don't drag their feet on adding new content.

Speaking of which, does anyone know when the next patch is supposed to drop?

There is not a single word or rumour about a HE or cruiser RoF/range nerf tough. So we'll have this cruiser > battleship bullshit meta for an other 2 months at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting, I logged into the clan page this morning and there were six applicants. When I went to check their status it showed they had been declined. No option to add them. Anyone who applied last night and was 'rejected' please try again? Make sure you post your SA blurb so I know it's not filthy pubs trying to infiltrate because we are climbing quickly to the max limit which is great.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

demonR6 posted:

Interesting, I logged into the clan page this morning and there were six applicants. When I went to check their status it showed they had been declined. No option to add them. Anyone who applied last night and was 'rejected' please try again? Make sure you post your SA blurb so I know it's not filthy pubs trying to infiltrate because we are climbing quickly to the max limit which is great.

I was definitely looking for SEAMN last night. IGN - LeVarBurton.

I just clicked on to try again and it looks like I'm in the clan. Can you confirm from your side as I don't know what SEAMN looks like?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What are these for ?
Most destroyers and cruisers have them.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
That's the elusive Cleveland citadel.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
They are usually over the screws, so I'd assume they are intended to keep towing lines from getting fouled in the screws, which would be happy fun times for everyone involved.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Dark Helmut posted:

I was definitely looking for SEAMN last night. IGN - LeVarBurton.

I just clicked on to try again and it looks like I'm in the clan. Can you confirm from your side as I don't know what SEAMN looks like?

Log into your unified account at http://na.wargaming.net/ then after you log in at the top click on where it says clans, that will take you to the clan landing page.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ArchangeI posted:

They are usually over the screws, so I'd assume they are intended to keep towing lines from getting fouled in the screws, which would be happy fun times for everyone involved.

Or those are where they hook the tow lines so you can have multiple knee boarding on each side.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I had another question about that picture :
Those fighter/scout planes on the catapult, are they hydroplanes? So I suppose they used a crane to place it back on the catapult after it had landed on the water and came back close to the boat. (is that structure next to the plane the crane perhaps?)

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ArchangeI posted:

I think they are quite useful if you like in packs in harbours to protect the screws. Since identical ships lying side by side could touch the screws.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 19, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cknoos posted:

Welcome thailor! :sissies:

I will spread the reach of SEAMN far and wide.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Since identical ships lying side by side could touch the screws.

That sounds kind of dirty. :q:

Applied to SEAMN as stanleypain007.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Applied to SEAMN, solo destroyer games only get me so far.

VietCampo

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Third time's the charm, I guess! Applied, again, as SneakyKettle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The more I've played the Kongo (and the more I played it) the less I hate the Myogi. It was a poo poo bote for babbies, yes, but it definitely prepares you for the Kongo because you have to learn to take advantage of the one thing it does well (speed) and learn to resist the temptation to sit at 19km sniping with it, which is key to wrecking people in the Kongo.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I have applied ingame to the clan. I should be Artificer ingame as well.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone has been accepted that had outstanding applications and you are now recruiters so you can also log in and accept new applicants.. just make sure goons only first until we fill the clan with all the goon seamen it can handle.

Christ that sounds bad but hey.. it works!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I swear the Nicholas is cursed. Whenever I do well, my pubbies throw it away. I loved the Clemson, but I just can't seem to get anywhere in the Nicholas. :negative:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I swear the Nicholas is cursed. Whenever I do well, my pubbies throw it away. I loved the Clemson, but I just can't seem to get anywhere in the Nicholas. :negative:

I'm having the worst luck in the Clemson, mostly with the problem of opportunities not presenting themselves in the matches I get into. I'll either be uptiered vs Nicholas, or the destroyers will stick next to the cruisers, and the battleships won't wander around solo, it is really loving disheartening when you can't really make any moves for an entire 20 minute match.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Krogort posted:

What are these for ?
Most destroyers and cruisers have them.

As stated they are to protect the screws but mainly for when you go along side in port, ships don't raft up very often!

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

I should stop while I'm ahead, days like those dont come often.

Also I've got everything but the Aoba and Colorado researched, but I just cant decide which line to continue up to next tier.

The New Mexico is loving amazing past the stock hull and some upgrades, im keeping it forever, same as Cleveland and St. Louis.

How bad are the Colorado and Pensacola on the Furutaka scale of sucking-the-life-out-of-you-everytime-you-hit-the-battle-button? :v:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kerrow posted:

Also I've got everything but the Aoba and Colorado researched, but I just cant decide which line to continue up to next tier.

The New Mexico is loving amazing past the stock hull and some upgrades, im keeping it forever, same as Cleveland and St. Louis.

How bad are the Colorado and Pensacola on the Furutaka scale of sucking-the-life-out-of-you-everytime-you-hit-the-battle-button? :v:

When upgraded the Furutaka is ok. Stock it is a bad ship.

You have to sit back and play like a pubbie. Sit in the back and Citadel cruisers all day.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I think they are quite useful if you like in packs in harbours to protect the screws. Since identical ships lying side by side could touch the screws.

Wtf are "screws" on a ship ??

vvv

:what:

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 19, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

PirateBob posted:

Clearly you are an imposter from another vastly less humorous forum.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PirateBob posted:

vvv
:what:

You can also use the word "propeller". If you want to. But it's funnier if two ships screw with each other. Proppeling each other sounds pretty weird. Or just go for Schiffsschraube.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What 3rd upgrade would you take on a Ibuki ? The AA effectiveness or range don't really seem worth it.
At 3mil I intent to dismount it to use it on the Zao later on.

gently caress this ship is a pièce for garbage, it was ok as the T7 Myoko but for T9 come on.

edit: lol it has a lower rof than the Myoko, gently caress the Ibuki

Krogort fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 19, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've just researched the Furutaka.

How awful is it?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Kerrow posted:

The Pensacola is a fine ship. Good AA and reasonably good guns if not quite to the spammyness of the Cleveland. It's got a way shorter angle though so they arrive sooner. It's got weak sides though, so don't show them if you can help it.

The Colorado is just bad especially given your coming from the New Mex into it. It's slow, it's guns are inaccurate, and its just generally all around "bleh".

The Colorado is the price you pay for the North Carolina which I've found to be a murder machine in comparison especially as you'll be fighting a lot of Atago's who all seem to cherish showing you their sides and getting Citadeled to gently caress for their troubles.

Night10194 posted:

How awful is it?

I free xped past it rather than use it. On the bright side, the Aoba is good, the Myoko is very good and the Mogami is a Cleveland with more guns, torps and better concealment..

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 19, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Night10194 posted:

How awful is it?

They are buffing it soon so it won't be complete poo poo anymore, it gets -15 turrent rotation and 10km torps.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Night10194 posted:

How awful is it?

it's great, unless somebody shoots back

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Kerrow posted:

Pensacola has no torpedoes and the same armour as Furutaka, while being two tiers higher, in exchange for almost twice as many guns in faster turning turrets and better AA. You don't need to free XP past it but it does help to get the upgraded hull and the only thing that makes it disappointing is the fact that the Cleveland is ridiculously good.

Colorado though is straight up worse than the New Mexico. In real life they had the same weight of broadside but the Colorado had better armour penetration so it worked out. In WoWS the Colorado gets only a small damage increase per shell in exchange for 2/3 chance to hit. Everything else is almost exactly the same, so it works out as a downgrade. Definitely skip as much as you can.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlpx4DMGzYI

This thread might enjoy a crosspost from The Last Ship thread. I used to think the 'broken in half hull' thing that happens sometimes when you're sunk, which I see a lot, looked kinda bad, but I guess not.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

He got 83 xp for that match. :allears:

counterfeitsaint posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlpx4DMGzYI

This thread might enjoy a crosspost from The Last Ship thread. I used to think the 'broken in half hull' thing that happens sometimes when you're sunk, which I see a lot, looked kinda bad, but I guess not.

"A submarine torpedo tears a destroyer battleship in two."

But yeah, that looks like it exploded right underneath it. The sort of thing that navies were trying to do with magnetic detonators on torpedoes during WWII, but never got quite right.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 20, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

El Disco posted:

He got 83 xp for that match. :allears:

"A submarine torpedo tears a destroyer battleship in two."

But yeah, that looks like it exploded right underneath it. The sort of thing that navies were trying to do with magnetic detonators on torpedoes during WWII, but never got quite right.

"Your flagship" eh? loving idiot.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I'm not sure if i'm missing anything, but why does retraining a commander fully cost 500 doubloons, but a new commander with 3 skillpoints cost 25?

I mean i know why it would cost more, but god drat that's high as hell. Is there's any other reason to retrain instead of getting a new commander besides keeping the SP he gets?

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 20, 2015

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

My god thats the last time I rely on 3 pubbies to take out a sub 1000 health Omaha on their own. Words just cant describe how bad that was. I'm trying to take on a full health Fuso in my half health New Mexico while the 3 of them flail helplessly at the Omaha. I should have just turned fired one turret and be done with it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

VietCampo posted:

I'm not sure if i'm missing anything, but why does retraining a commander fully cost 500 doubloons, but a new commander with 3 skillpoints cost 25?

I mean i know why it would cost more, but god drat that's high as hell. Is there's any other reason to retrain instead of getting a new commander besides keeping the SP he gets?

Retrain your commander with credits. All you lose is the commander experience gained during retraining, you don't lose any skill points.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DurosKlav posted:

My god thats the last time I rely on 3 pubbies to take out a sub 1000 health Omaha on their own. Words just cant describe how bad that was. I'm trying to take on a full health Fuso in my half health New Mexico while the 3 of them flail helplessly at the Omaha. I should have just turned fired one turret and be done with it.

Your error in judgment was to rely on pubbies for anything.. short of not hanging themselves with the wireless mouse cord while trying to solve the riddle of what to do now that other ships are firing at them.. never trust anyone who is not a SEAMN.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

James Garfield posted:

Retrain your commander with credits. All you lose is the commander experience gained during retraining, you don't lose any skill points.

I think he was asking why it costs 500 doubloons to respec (I.E. completely change perk tree) a high level commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

VietCampo posted:

If you retrain with no payment, it takes about half of the xp required for your next level to retrain. If you pay 200k credits, it takes half of that again. If you pay gold, your commander retrains immediately and can start accumulating experience again.

Retraining is basically an xp sink. While you're retraining, your commander's stat raising abilities are at half effectiveness (so 5% reload speed for Basic Firing Training), and unique powers are disabled completely (such as Situation Awareness or Superintendent). Once you've reached the threshold for the retraining, your commander's skills get fully reenabled and you start gaining experience towards your next level again. Its usually not a waste to retrain your commanders once you've got them to level 3ish, as the xp to retrain at those early levels is very small, while having those extra abilities is good, and gets you on your way to a well trained commander that will be a huge asset in the high tiers.

Also note, premium ships interact with retraining in a special way. Commanders do not need to retrain to command a premium ship, and always have their abilities at peak efficiency, so you can freely swap any matching country commander into their boat and back again. Also, if the commander being put into the premium boat is currently retraining, any xp he gains in the premium is put towards his retraining. This is great for your high level commanders, as you don't need to retrain their 40k+ xp in a stock boat and suffer your early games, you can instead opt to retrain the commander in a premium. Of course, you'll need a premium boat of the same country as the commander you wish the retrain.

Edit: oh, to respec? I dunno, the cost scales up with the # of skillpoints the commander has.