Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If there is one thing about SE ports that I have learned is that it is worth being patient for their first patch to come out before buying and playing. Sucks because waiting longer sucks but it is worth it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Another problem with the PC port is that many of the higher-end options are intended only for the most powerful systems. Apparently, it downsamples 4K down to the resolution lock of 1080p.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have been revisiting FFVII because of Elentor's LP finishing and something kinda struck me as I was also talking about Gundam on here. Gundam's whole existence is tied up with Japanese nationalism and revisionism and all that sordid business.

What does this have to do with FFVII? We all know Wutai is Japan. Japan who lost to the cartoonishly evil colonial powers. Now they have sold their honor and pride and live under the thumb of the filthy gaijins.

It's not terribly subtle and I guess it only ever escaped my notice because I don't think FF has ever had a political message or agenda, unlike Gundam. Maybe it doesn't mean anything.

Shinra is very much the archetypal Japanese megacorporation. Even its logo resembles some real-life Japanese conglomerates. The game is more about the clash between new technology and the decline of traditional life. You see this in the contrast between Midgar and the other cities. Many of the smaller towns are going under a transformation into modernity but paying a heavy cost for it, especially their old world values and the environment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jesus christ this thread might be the least equipped group of people in the world for talking about japan's cultural baggage

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Endorph posted:

jesus christ this thread might be the least equipped group of people in the world for talking about japan's cultural baggage

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Weeabos, as cultural baggage, are in the perfect position to talk about other cultural baggage.

Furthermore I think my pilgrimage makes me more Nipponese than the Japanese

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sunning posted:

Shinra is very much the archetypal Japanese megacorporation. Even its logo resembles some real-life Japanese conglomerates. The game is more about the clash between new technology and the decline of traditional life. You see this in the contrast between Midgar and the other cities. Many of the smaller towns are going under a transformation into modernity but paying a heavy cost for it, especially their old world values and the environment.

Shinra is a company that runs the world through its monopoly on fantasy oil. I never thought of it as Japanese.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Shinra comes from the first two characters of Shinra Banshou (神羅万象, Everything Covered by God?), a Japanese four-character idiom and homophone variant of Shinra Banshou (森羅万象, All-Covering Forests and Ten Thousand Things?), a Buddhist idiom which has come to mean "All of Nature" or "All of Creation".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

obviously shinra isn't really japanese but it isn't really western either. it's a company in a fantasy world. obviously real world culture, elements, and history influence the game, and the wutai subplot is absolutely inspired by the idea that japan might be losing some of its culture, but trying to tie it to one specific historical thing is dumb.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's fine. I was just making an observation and asking for input. What you say makes sense.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Speaking of FF7, it's now on iOS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Xdbr60wcg

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Been playing FFT again, there is nothing quite as hilarious as a team of 5 black mages with Arithmancy and Holy learned tearing up poo poo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Al Borland posted:

So Let's talk about the disaster that Type 0 is on PC so far:

Most people can't even play it on their pcs. Apparently windows 10 wants to murder it.

Two set resolutions to choose from neither of which work for my poor, poor TV and therefore make it look like rear end when I try to play.Unless, I want to play on a comically too big / insultingly small bordered window mode.

Does anyone know a way around this? I don't want to stay logged into the game because if I surpass 2 hours it'll screw me out of a refund. The game looks really good, but holy poo poo I would love to be able to enjoy it in a full screen and not with a bordered window

Also no dota 2 items yet...
E:
just got mine!

Still wanna play this game without having it look like windowed poo poo :saddowns:

Wait so I could've got the dots 2 items and still refunded?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So is it a Windows 10 issue? I just have like an i3 and a 650 geforce, but still on Windows 7.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember being stuck on the Wutai dragon boss as a kid. I liked the setting 'cause it was all Asian and stuff, but man that boss jaded me a bit.

I'm resigned to the fact that my next few hours of FFX will probably be mostly blitzball.

I've done this before, but could anyone refresh my memory? I have a tournament open now (with a remedy as top prize, wtf) and should be able to get Aurochs Reels soon. Can I just play an exhibition match to reset the prizes, or should I just play through this tournament and hope it comes up next time?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Play the tournament, then make sure you save before you enter the Blitzball menu again. The prizes are decided when you enter it, so if you save beforehand you can reset if it doesn't pop up.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Dr Pepper posted:

Play the tournament, then make sure you save before you enter the Blitzball menu again. The prizes are decided when you enter it, so if you save beforehand you can reset if it doesn't pop up.

Cool beans, thanks. I had a feeling it was something like that.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I got the Sun Sigil last night after trying for only half an hour. My soul is mine and I am alive.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CuddlyZombie posted:

I got the Sun Sigil last night after trying for only half an hour. My soul is mine and I am alive.
Was it your first go, or have you gotten the Sun Sigil before? I find that it's easy after the first time since you already know which balloon layouts are actually viable and it's just a matter of getting your muscle memory back in shape to dodge the birds correctly. It's still one of the worst minigames ever made.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
When I finally got it the other week I absolutely raped it. 0 birds hit and still managed like 14 balloons. It was just the perfect balloon layout, plus I sacrificed a little bit of speed to sell out on dodging the final birds.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The White Dragon posted:

Was it your first go, or have you gotten the Sun Sigil before? I find that it's easy after the first time since you already know which balloon layouts are actually viable and it's just a matter of getting your muscle memory back in shape to dodge the birds correctly. It's still one of the worst minigames ever made.

It was my first go, though I looked up youtube videos and read some guides on gamefaqs beforehand.

To clarify, I spent half an hour on the first three minigames + getting the race finished the first time, and then another half hour going for the 0.0 time. Not half an hour from meeting the chocobo lady to getting the sigil.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

pretend to care posted:

When I finally got it the other week I absolutely raped it. 0 birds hit and still managed like 14 balloons. It was just the perfect balloon layout, plus I sacrificed a little bit of speed to sell out on dodging the final birds.

Really?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

im sure he meant rapped, mr thought police

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
If you can beat the chocobo racing quickly then you are the King of Video Games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Armitage posted:

If you can beat the chocobo racing quickly then you are the King of Video Games

My dark secret is that I've never spent more than 15 minutes on it any time I've played the game and don't really get the hubub over it.

I'll gladly give the lightning bolts the middle finger though. They're not hard they're just loving boring.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

im sure he meant rapped, mr thought police

gently caress off with that thought police nonsense, its a hateful phrase to use to describe doing well in anything.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

"mr thought police" lmao

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im in ur mind policing ur thoughts

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Even dark thoughts aren't safe from the police

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Madmarker posted:

gently caress off with that thought police nonsense, its a hateful phrase to use to describe doing well in anything.

Lets just admit he's a child and move on. Muh Triggers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

triggers are a legitimate thing and it really sucks that some 15 year olds on tumblr using the term dumbly have somehow made it okay to mock. peace.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Triggers on internet forums. Next, warnings that coffee is hot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the coffee hot thing was also because the lady's coffee was so hot that it actively maimed her, instead of just 'yeow that's hot'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raphus C posted:

Triggers on internet forums. Next, warnings that coffee is hot.

You do know that was legitimately a case where the coffee wasn't merely hot but extremely unsafely hot and actually caused significant physical damage, right?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

the coffee hot thing was also because the lady's coffee was so hot that it actively maimed her, instead of just 'yeow that's hot'

ImpAtom posted:

You do know that was legitimately a case where the coffee wasn't merely hot but extremely unsafely hot and actually caused significant physical damage, right?

"Fused Labia" was one of the terms used, I believe.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

as the official thought police, I've noted that none of you are currently thinking about rikku. please correct this immediately or I will start issuing citations

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

epitasis posted:

as the official thought police, I've noted that none of you are currently thinking about rikku. please correct this immediately or I will start issuing citations

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

If someone says something IRL that makes you a bit uncomfortable there are ways to communicate that without taking over the conversation. A polite cough, a disapproving look, whatever. That's not possible on the internet, so when you see someone call it out you can usually assume they're not actually flipping out and making a scene, or judging anyone harshly for it. Just take it in stride and keep posting about video games. :)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

epitasis posted:

Joke's on you, I think of Riku every day.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Whoever voiced Cater was drunk during recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Levantine posted:

"Fused Labia" was one of the terms used, I believe.

Dear god I did not need to know that these two words could go--and have been--together :cry: