Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
All those things may very well be but on top of that the game also runs like rear end. I mean massive server lag and/or connection issues at times. When people ask me to log in to do things it's about 50/50 that I'll actually be able to play and not just lag around in place for a few minutes before giving up and quitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Goat Pillager posted:

This guy was an Academy cadet at one point. He was recently seen discussing how he got dishonorably discharged from the army or some such.

Wait, seriously? An actual Dishonorable Discharge is a Big loving Deal. You only get that at a court martial for something like sexual assault or murder, you have to pay back your entire salary to date, and in most states it's the equivalent of a felony conviction as far as voting status or such.

Details are needed here.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

kafziel posted:

Wait, seriously? An actual Dishonorable Discharge is a Big loving Deal. You only get that at a court martial for something like sexual assault or murder, you have to pay back your entire salary to date, and in most states it's the equivalent of a felony conviction as far as voting status or such.

Details are needed here.

I only had limited contact with him while he was in the Dental academy (rail's dealt with him much more) but he seemed extremely off, to the point where it wasn't funny, just a chore to talk to the guy. He also got very, very aggressive over non-issues. If that's how he reacted to things in a game, God knows how broken he is in real life.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Malek posted:

Ditto. And I'm still fighting the white knight for saying this game is objectively good. Celoth, I specifically mean you.

It's not that it's that good so much as everything else is just as bad or much worse.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's not even that, it's just that it's the only thing you can get when you want to Star Trek. Gameplay, power creep and meta are all pretty bad, even by MMO standards these days. Dressing up and the chat system are pretty much the only positive things. Even server stability, pretty much a given these days is up in the air and there are very few things I would compare it favorably to.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. I'd still argue that STO, after the romulan expansion and up through all the dyson sphere stuff, was actually a legitimately good super-casual MMO. It had issues and bugs but the servers worked, the blatant cash grabs were minimal and pretty much limited to the lockboxes, and it was easy to progress and get equipment and all that. Since they started leading up into DR it pretty much hit the toilet (the upgrade system was abominable and it's still pretty bad even now that they've cut a lot of the timesink factor) and everything after it just ruined all the good mechanics and good will they managed to build up. And gently caress if you can complete an instance now without it rubber banding like hell.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I agree. Romulus was good enough and the ground section of Dyson is the best ground content in the game. Nukara was pretty bad but it wasn't as extensive as Romulus or Dyson.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The reason Nukara flet so old and crappy compared to the rest of the LoR era releases is that it had been in the game for a long time before LoR they just changed the rewards for it when they added the Nukara rep. They haven't done poo poo to improve it since then other than to move the hards to queues to keep people from zerging them with an entire instances worth of people.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

The reason Nukara flet so old and crappy compared to the rest of the LoR era releases is that it had been in the game for a long time before LoR they just changed the rewards for it when they added the Nukara rep. They haven't done poo poo to improve it since then other than to move the hards to queues to keep people from zerging them with an entire instances worth of people.

Which was a dumb change, getting a shitload of dudes together to fight wave after wave of Tholians in that underground facility was actually fun. Limiting it to five maximum made it tedious and unfun.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Korgan posted:

Which was a dumb change, getting a shitload of dudes together to fight wave after wave of Tholians in that underground facility was actually fun. Limiting it to five maximum made it tedious and unfun.

Depends on your objective. Since the devs changed the player limit to five, the amount of rage generated from that shitshow of a queue is almost always entertaining as hell.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

Depends on your objective. Since the devs changed the player limit to five, the amount of rage generated from that shitshow of a queue is almost always entertaining as hell.

Oh for sure, but in the context of 'lol the devs are actively sabotaging their own game through incompetence' the change was pretty loving stupid. Metagame changes just make it better for us. :getin:

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

DonDoodles posted:

I only had limited contact with him while he was in the Dental academy (rail's dealt with him much more) but he seemed extremely off, to the point where it wasn't funny, just a chore to talk to the guy. He also got very, very aggressive over non-issues. If that's how he reacted to things in a game, God knows how broken he is in real life.

Pretty damned broken.

The guy has a string of mental issues as long as my arm ranging from OCD to severe anger management problems with a load of other crap thrown in.

Edited this section, because I got details: The details are apparently that he assaulted and choked someone. Honestly I cannot think of why someone would make up things like a dishonorable discharge or such without some reason, but at the same time, his list of crazy would hopefully have been caught during recruitment screening.

He also spends immense amounts of cash on the game apparently to basically buy everything with real money, and compulsively will upgrade any item he gets to gold regardless what it is because of the mental issues. Where he gets said money I have no idea, but he seems to have it given that I have seen him gold plain old vendor loot plenty of times. My best guess is either rich family or some sort inheritance but nothing definite.

Other than that, he at times claimed to have several replacement keyboards, mice, and monitors on hand because he loses his poo poo over trivial stuff and smashes his things regularly, which given his crazy I don't have too much reason to doubt, as no one normal would want that sort of stupidity to their name.

Regardless, the guy is completely nuts and what little entertainment value he has quickly wears off due to the blatant crazy.

Goat Pillager fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 19, 2015

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oh that guy. He joined a fleet I helped run a couple of years ago. At the time, he bragged that he was a member of a secret cabal of players who controlled the dil exchange, and that he had hundreds of thousands of Zen. People questioned his claim of being in the space Illuminati, so he dumped a couple million dil into projects, left, and we never saw him again.

And that's my @4ID story.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Sounds like a positive social channel for his personal issues.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Goat Pillager posted:

Pretty damned broken.

The guy has a string of mental issues as long as my arm ranging from OCD to severe anger management problems with a load of other crap thrown in.

Edited this section, because I got details: The details are apparently that he assaulted and choked someone. Honestly I cannot think of why someone would make up things like a dishonorable discharge or such without some reason, but at the same time, his list of crazy would hopefully have been caught during recruitment screening.

He also spends immense amounts of cash on the game apparently to basically buy everything with real money, and compulsively will upgrade any item he gets to gold regardless what it is because of the mental issues. Where he gets said money I have no idea, but he seems to have it given that I have seen him gold plain old vendor loot plenty of times. My best guess is either rich family or some sort inheritance but nothing definite.

Other than that, he at times claimed to have several replacement keyboards, mice, and monitors on hand because he loses his poo poo over trivial stuff and smashes his things regularly, which given his crazy I don't have too much reason to doubt, as no one normal would want that sort of stupidity to their name.

Regardless, the guy is completely nuts and what little entertainment value he has quickly wears off due to the blatant crazy.

Haha I have seen him bitch about having to buy a new keyboard on at least one occasion. I've also seen him completely lose his poo poo in ESD chat several times because he thought people weren't reading/responding to his bullshit political opinions as much as he felt they should have.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I got your "dishonorable discharge" right here.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Good name for a gimmick torpedo boat.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It's just an all around good post

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I feel bad for someone being that utterly broken. It has to be a pretty miserable life for someone to try so desperately to get meaning out of a lovely broken game like STO. Not too bad to still be amused by the insane hijinks, but I'd still be happy to hear that the guy got his poo poo together some day.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Good name for a gimmick torpedo boat.

Better, a klink warp plasma boat.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
You're going the poop way with it. I got a sex vibe from it.

Both are equally valid, and I think that's what makes this game really remarkable: so many people can find an outlet for their rich inner life in the world Cryptic created.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You're going the poop way with it. I got a sex vibe from it.

Both are equally valid, and I think that's what makes this game really remarkable: so many people can find an outlet for their rich inner life in the world Cryptic created.

So what you're saying is you're jerking it to the game.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
No. That's ridiculous.

I get everything I need by loading this thread in a browser, turning on my disco ball, and then discharging a full fire extinguisher at my monitor.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

No. That's ridiculous.

I get everything I need by loading this thread in a browser, turning on my disco ball, and then discharging a full fire extinguisher at my monitor.
Well, have I the product for you.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Theres a pubbie who claims to be shutting us down. Moran@zeratul619

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

BombermanX posted:

I'm shutting you down. drat it Butts you're a loose cannon, turn in your badge and gun.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Morglon posted:

I'm shutting you down. drat it Butts you're a loose cannon, turn in your badge and gun.

He may be a loose cannon, but he gets results dammit!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We're replacing our loose cannons with Antiproton Dual Beams.

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please

BombermanX posted:

http://puu.sh/jHBTh/37e610fe71.png

Now really. Who shut who down here?

edit: Thumbnail failed. Just copy and paste.

Rahhmi fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 20, 2015

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Apparently, according to Bort, if you manage to kill yourself while a disco ball is active it lives forever. It'll probably be patched out tomorrow, but I guess someone reported a disco ball failing to disappear after a couple of days.

Follow up tweet from Bort:

quote:

I think I just convinced Starfleet Dental to commit mass suicide.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 20, 2015

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Rahhmi posted:

http://puu.sh/jHBTh/37e610fe71.png

Now really. Who shut who down here?

edit: Thumbnail failed. Just copy and paste.

Lol at starfleet dentai. Got our base name and motd wrong.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
A lot of pubbies are responding to Bort's tweet with crap like "can't wait to dance in their graves" or "Dental's committing suicide is a bad thing?"

Is there any way Bort could get in trouble for using his dev twitter account to joke about suicide? Any way for this to backlash?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

A lot of pubbies are responding to Bort's tweet with crap like "can't wait to dance in their graves" or "Dental's committing suicide is a bad thing?"

Is there any way Bort could get in trouble for using his dev twitter account to joke about suicide? Any way for this to backlash?

I am suicidal and having a dev actively mocking my plight in the game I play to distract myself from sticking a knife in my wrist is very problematic and triggering

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Korgan posted:

I am suicidal and having a dev actively mocking my plight in the game I play to distract myself from sticking a knife in my wrist is very problematic and triggering

I find it very troubling that a dev would make light of something as serious as suicide while using an official company twitter account. I'll fight for you in the twitterverse, Grim.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
Avenge me, Denalts. I have been triggered to die. But before I go, there is one thing left on my bucket list:

Violate the Fishing Pact.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

I find it very troubling that a dev would make light of something as serious as suicide while using an official company twitter account. I'll fight for you in the twitterverse, Grim.

:patriot::911:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Borticus is literally whining on twitter now that his joke has turned into a "crapfest." This is great.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

FrostyJones posted:

Avenge me, Denalts. I have been triggered to die. But before I go, there is one thing left on my bucket list:

Violate the Fishing Pact.

I will violate the fishing pact with you. All night long if you know what I mean.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I like the concept of a ship with a command crew of the embodiment of the Seven sins, but like Voyager, this pubbie takes a concept that has potential and shits all over it.

• Locked thread